Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Rod Knock

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro SS convertible
Hex Vents without splashtrays

How many of you all with Hex Vents run them without the splashtrays? It just seems to me much more heat would get out through them with out the trays. With 13 days in a row of temps in triple digits, I'd like to get as much heat out from under the hood as possible

Anyone have problems -other than the water getting the engine bay area dirty - such as electrical, etc?

I just watched a detailer power the wash the enigine bay in a Mercedes and he said they spray/powerwash engines as a matter of regular busienss and haven't had any electrical problems reported back to them. So does water getting in there really hurt anything?
Rod Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
I don't think it would be a problem. Not only would it let way more heat escape, but I hate the look of the trays too.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Glen e

Drives: Cyber/Red C7
without tray, just a bit messier in the bay but remember lots of water comes thru the grill too....yes, a LOT of heat exits without the tray

as far as the look, flat black the tray and you never know it's there...

Last edited by Glen e; 08-08-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Glen e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Rod Knock

Already used flat black vinyl on the trays

Since the pics were taken I blacked out the strut brace that comes on the convertible so it is not as visable as well. I'll black out more of the engine cover if I remove the trays.

I am more concerned with any potential water damage to elctronics as this is a daily driver and road trip car so it sees a lot of rain on occassion.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Glen e

If this is a daily driver I see no reason to not use the trays...Steve will tell you the reason he designed them was to reduce the temps in the staging lanes at the drags for his car....but as a daily driver, cooling the engine a bit with the vent open is really not doing you any good except getting everything drenched underneath....just my opin.......
Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Vents on or off still get water IMO.

Take a look at the Hood Liner after washing your car for awhile. The water has to go somewhere. What many wont tell you is the Hood Liner becomes NASTY and Soap/Water Stained.
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
CamaroI

To answer your question on Water in the engine bay. Everything should be sealed up tight where water could do damage. If you watch any detailer video you will see they use soft scrub brushes to get into the hard to reach areas and then rinse with water.

Back in the day we used to Power wash engine bays but would use a plastic bag to cover up the carb.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
Rod Knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If this is a daily driver I see no reason to not use the trays...Steve will tell you the reason he designed them was to reduce the temps in the staging lanes at the drags for his car....but as a daily driver, cooling the engine a bit with the vent open is really not doing you any good except getting everything drenched underneath....just my opin.......
The reason I am considering removing the trays is sometimes I like to run the car hard (It's a Camaro after all ) and the temps get up over 200 degrees plus they reach over 200 sitting in rush hour traffic when it's 105 degrees outside. I just have to think more heat would escape if tehe trys were removed.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Knock View Post
The reason I am considering removing the trays is sometimes I like to run the car hard (It's a Camaro after all ) and the temps get up over 200 degrees plus they reach over 200 sitting in rush hour traffic when it's 105 degrees outside. I just have to think more heat would escape if tehe trys were removed.
then have at it!

but if it's a stock camaro I think the car can take what your asking without additional ventilation....
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
I run my vents without the trays, and there has been 3 days since I Got them installed this week where it poured down pretty heavy. The only reason I run without the trays is because I have Roto-Fab engine covers, that cover 80% of the top half of the engine, and the vents are directly above both covers. All of the water that falls through the vents, hits the covers, rolls off the side of the engine. I haven't had any issue with wires or anything being soaked, the only downside is I have to clean my engine bay weekly, which is actually a good thing.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Rod Knock

Quote:
then have at it!

but if it's a stock camaro I think the car can take what your asking without additional ventilation....
good point about info that I left out of my post -

It's not stock and gonna be adding more soon

Vararam, 1 7/8" Long tubes with high flow cats, ported TB, tuned, Pedders Xa coilovers/sway bars/bushings --- will be adding 1LE gears very soon and then cam/heads later this year

all more reasons I was thinkimng about additional heat being generated.

I appreciate all the comments and opinions
Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
I run my vents without the trays, and there has been 3 days since I Got them installed this week where it poured down pretty heavy. The only reason I run without the trays is because I have Roto-Fab engine covers, that cover 80% of the top half of the engine, and the vents are directly above both covers. All of the water that falls through the vents, hits the covers, rolls off the side of the engine. I haven't had any issue with wires or anything being soaked, the only downside is I have to clean my engine bay weekly, which is actually a good thing.
I'm sure you will keep the bay clean. However, there are a lot of parts in the engine bay that carry no protective coatings as they are supposed to be protected by the hood and body. I'll be interested to see in in 6-9 months if you encounter any corrosion water spots appearance issues...please keep posting on this......
Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
TRC-SS
TIM "COTW 2-25-13"

Drives: 2011 SuperCharged 567RWHP SS/RS LS3
I dont run any covers on any of my vents. But then again i dont drive in the rain either.

But i do wash the car all the time, no trays. Keeps the engine nice and clean cause it makes me wipe it down. Motors now a days are water tight. No need to worry about flooding it, or electrical issues ect.

But sitting at the traffic light you can really see how much heat blows out of these vents. My blower under the hood doesnt help the temps under there either!!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
LS3 SS

Quote:
I'm sure you will keep the bay clean. However, there are a lot of parts in the engine bay that carry no protective coatings as they are supposed to be protected by the hood and body. I'll be interested to see in in 6-9 months if you encounter any corrosion water spots appearance issues...please keep posting on this......
I will keep you posted. So far I have opened my hood right after it rained to see exactly where the water was going, and the only place I can physically see that it really hits, is on my engine covers. I will of course have to give them a good wax to prevent water damage, but it's paint, so with the proper wax job it will hold up. Like others have said, when you wash your car, you get water all over parts of your engine bay, so I can imagine the vents aren't too much worse than spraying the corners of your hood, or radiator.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
Glen e

I'm jealous...I would love to run without trays...if I still had my house with garage, I would do it. But now I'm in a complex with trees and airborne crap and it sits out in all the tropical storms down here. I even cover the vents at night to keep the crap out. Small price to pay for the look they give the car....
Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
Cincy10SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I know Steve @ HPE never has the drip pans on. He lives in Florida where they get alot of rain at times but then again I don't know how much he drives his car in the rain.
Honestly, I'd love to leave my pans off. Obviously, it lets me heat escape. But, I also have an EmblemPros underhood bowtie and without the tabs on the pans pushed outward to help support the fireblanket it tends to sag so I keep the pans on most of the time.
K&N Typhoon intake, JBA Shorty headers, Solo mid-pipes/hi-flow cats, GMPP Track Pack axle-back, Vmax ported TB, Billet Custom catch can, billet tensioner pulley, Hines Hex Vents, Z/TA rear spoiler, ProCustom headlight covers, Drake black/riveted quarter window covers, GM satin fuel door, chrome and brushed caps/covers under the hood, EmblemPros underhood bowtie & fuel rail "Camaro" plates, chrome "SS" door kick-panels, chrome trunk latch plate & strut rods, Street Scene lower grille ducts w/LED lights, front bowtie-delete, Yates Performance pedals, 35% tint, etc.
Cincy10SSRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
Rickey
IOM4EVR

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT1/RS
I had the vents installed last Aug at camarofest. In Feb. I had to have a coil replaced at my expense do to not using trays. I thought the engine cover would be enough but it was not. I now run with the trays on
Old 08-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey View Post
I had the vents installed last Aug at camarofest. In Feb. I had to have a coil replaced at my expense do to not using trays. I thought the engine cover would be enough but it was not. I now run with the trays on
Ever thought about trying to convert the engine cover into a drain tray? Maybe epoxy something to it that would direct any water to drain to a safe area at the front of the engine.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
I don't know how much he drives his car in the rain.
I asked him..."not much" was the answer - he's a racer and why he invented them - that and he has one of the most beautiful 3 car epoxy floored garages with every system (elec. air, water) coming down from the wall I've ever seen. He installed mine at his house....His camaro is garaged....
Old 08-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy10SSRS View Post
I know Steve @ HPE never has the drip pans on. He lives in Florida where they get alot of rain at times but then again I don't know how much he drives his car in the rain.
Honestly, I'd love to leave my pans off. Obviously, it lets me heat escape. But, I also have an EmblemPros underhood bowtie and without the tabs on the pans pushed outward to help support the fireblanket it tends to sag so I keep the pans on most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey View Post

I do wonder sometimes if I should install the trays back on to my vents, but I realized the design of them (which is great) is just not practical for quick installation when rain is probable.

I imagine most people only remove their trays for car shows and cruises when they know the weather is gonna be good, which I planned on doing. But once I actually popped my hood after it rained, and saw that the majority of the water hits my engine covers and maybe the frame or some rubber hoses, I decided to run with them off.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Rod knock...

I make a bit of heat under the hood and run the vents without trays.... Sitting at a light, I can see the heat waves rising out of the vents.... take em off.... wont hurt a thing... and you will relieve more heat without them... I also removed the engine cover, and the intake manifold cover...
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
LS3 SS

Just giving an update to any of you guys who are still on the fence about running the vents without the trays daily :

The other day here in KY, it was like a Monsoon for most of the day, pouring down non stop. Of course I didn't put my trays in, because it isn't practical for me to pull over and screw them back in. When it was done raining hours later, I popped my hood just to see where water would be an issue, and with my setup (Roto-Fab engine covers), the only water I see is in three places :

1. The top of the covers. Too easy. A good wax job, and a weekly cleaning will solve that problem.

2. The top of the power steering reservoir. The only "issue" with this, is the reservoir is close to the accessory belts, but once again, it's just water, not oil or any type of POL.

3. The sides of the engine bay. Once again, nothing a good cleaning won't fix.

Obviously I know not everyone want's to spend 500$ + dollars on an engine cover, but with my setup, I Don't even worry about rain. I will continue to monitory my engine bay, but I can definitely tell you none of my coils or any electrical wiring on the top of my motor is even close to getting wet.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #23
Glen e

It all depends on why you bought the vents - mine are purely cosmetic - I have no perf adds - I'll keep the trays on.

If I see the need for lowering the temp of my bay in the future, I'll run without them.

It's that simple - we all have diff needs....
Old 08-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #24
Rod Knock

I appreciate the replies and comments. I think I am going to remove the splash trays for daily driving (it has only rained in San Antonio 3 times since May) since my car is garaged at home and at the office. For the occasional road trip back to Kentucky to visit family/friends I will re install the trays.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
CamaroI

Quote:
It all depends on why you bought the vents - mine are purely cosmetic - I have no perf adds - I'll keep the trays on.

If I see the need for lowering the temp of my bay in the future, I'll run without them.

It's that simple - we all have diff needs....
Agreed with above statement.

Heck I have the Hex Vents and T3 Vents in my hood. Currently leave both in place. I live in Texas 100 + heat and never had an issue with ultra high temps in my engine bay. Two don't want to mess around taking the trays off and on. Third who really cares. My car performs just as well on or off.

In fact incorporating LEDs to my trays this week so will never be removed.

I have seen many custom painted trays which look killer at shows in place. Most people are not looking at trays being off or on at shows anyhow.