Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dynomax Exhausts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Intro and question/discussion

Hey gents. My name is Brad and I am reside in Nova Scotia, Canada. Just in the process of moving my 1980 Trans Am and plan to move into the 5th gen world. I am typically a Chevy/BPO guy (although my DDs are a F-150 and a Fusion). All that out of the way I want to hear from you why i would purchase a 2010, 11, or 12 Camaro as opposed to a 2011 Mustang (both would be v8 models)

I do understand that y'all might be baised but i have also learned that alot of people really do tell the truth whether it is good for them or not. So, lets just have a discussion.

Thanks
B
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: 2011 RS CGM LS3
Confidence.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
yzinger

Love the Metallica quote.

Expand on your answer...you mean reliability or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Confidence.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Ragnar

Drives: '14 2SS 1LE
Both are good cars, I would go drive both and see which car made me grin bigger! If I didn't have a Camaro, I would have a Mustang. Just so happens, the 1LE pushed my buttons in 2014 = PERMAGRIN. If it would have been a couple of years earlier, BOSS 302 would have been the choice. It's all about the grin
Old 08-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #5
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/RS L99

I like the new 5.0, but I love my Camaro. It has a whole different feel. I recommend driving one of each to get an idea. They are different.

I think the Camaro handles better (from what I have read and seen), but they are different and depends on what you want to do with it.

Do you want to go fast in a straight line, or be able to do that in turns? Both can do it, bu the Camaro is more stable and bigger. The 1LE is a great Camaro to get. You get the standard SS goodies but with better suspension, trans and rear gears.

I would drive some of each and see what fits you and your needs best.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
yzinger

Regarding "what I want to do with it". I am sort of old school...top speed isn't really what I am after..but, I want to melt both rears on occasion and just some spirited driving from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post

I like the new 5.0, but I love my Camaro. It has a whole different feel. I recommend driving one of each to get an idea. They are different.

I think the Camaro handles better (from what I have read and seen), but they are different and depends on what you want to do with it.

Do you want to go fast in a straight line, or be able to do that in turns? Both can do it, bu the Camaro is more stable and bigger. The 1LE is a great Camaro to get. You get the standard SS goodies but with better suspension, trans and rear gears.

I would drive some of each and see what fits you and your needs best.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #7
dantemcc

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS Bumblebee
IMO and MO only. I've spent a few days in the new GT. It is by far an easy car to drive and to handle compared to the Camaro. It has a more sports car feel than a muscle car feel. Everything about its performance and handling is easy and simplistic compared to the Camaro. The Camaro gets you more into the drive, because IMO its meant for the driver to have more responsibility than just turning the wheel and shifting gears. The Camaro makes you drive it, where as the Mustang makes you a bystander because its doing the majority of the work for you. I felt less involved when driving the Mustang compared to all the versions of Camaro's ive driven. But, truth be told, the only difference between the two, is their personalities. One makes you a bystander and the other makes you the dictator. Which do you prefer?

dantemcc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzinger View Post
Regarding "what I want to do with it". I am sort of old school...top speed isn't really what I am after..but, I want to melt both rears on occasion and just some spirited driving from time to time.
Both can do that very well... if you plan to autocross, you may want to look for a 13-15 Camaro 1LE for the handling, but a stock SS handles pretty well out of the box.

I upgraded wheels and tires on mine and it made a huge difference over stock and stock was not bad at all.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Hey gents. My name is Brad and I am reside in Nova Scotia, Canada. Just in the process of moving my 1980 Trans Am and plan to move into the 5th gen world. I am typically a Chevy/BPO guy (although my DDs are a F-150 and a Fusion). All that out of the way I want to hear from you why i would purchase a 2010, 11, or 12 Camaro as opposed to a 2011 Mustang (both would be v8 models)

I do understand that y'all might be baised but i have also learned that alot of people really do tell the truth whether it is good for them or not. So, lets just have a discussion.

Thanks
B
2012 Camaro has a few differences from the 10-11 models. The interior was updated, different gauges, dash, steering wheel, mirror and backup camera, etc. A few other tweaks here and there. 2014 saw the exterior changes.

Suspension also changed. From what ive seen/read, the higher the year, the less bugs/more options you are getting. One more year into 2013 has the electric power steering pump, 1LE, etc etc. Every year they added and changed stuff.

If you are looking at V6's, the actual engine changed somewhere between 2010-2012, and I think it had pros and cons, so read up on that.

As opposed to the mustang, eh, just get a Camaro haha.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
yzinger

Great response guys. Thanks and please keep it going.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #11
Kings2010

Drives: 2010 M6 SS, Toyota Tundra

I looked at both and chose the Camaro for several reasons which was a 180 from where I thought I'd end up. My high school car was a 94 5.0 that was bored,ported, cammed and bolted on until I ran out of stuff to do. I thought for sure I'd end up in another ford. But then I drove them both.

I chose the Camaro because:
1. Irs. I wanted something that did the twisties as well as the straights. The Camaro felt better going left and right than the GT.
2. Cockpit layout. I felt like I was sitting in a sports car. The GT made me feel like I was in a grocery getter with a rumble to it.
3. Looks. 'Enough said
4. Displacement. There is no replacement for it.
5. My wife loved the Camaro, the mustang not so much. Maybe this one should have been number 1
6. Couldn't over look the fact that ford has released some pathetic excuses for mustangs in the last decade and a half and I just felt that Chevy has been far more consistent on their performance platforms.

Like was said before, go drive them both and pick what fits. You'll have a blast either way
Kings2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS L99 Coupe
Although I am biased towards Chevy, when I went out looking for a new vehicle in 2013, I tried to keep an open mind and test drove the Challenger, Mustang & Camaro. Fortunately, all the dealers were located fairly close to one another, so I was able to test drive them all on the same 'course', a couple city of blocks to a nice piece of straight away on the interstate leading to a short 'twisty' piece of canyon road. All three have their pros & cons; however, for me, based on overall looks, performance, handling & options it came down to this:

#1. Camaro
#2. Challenger
#3. Mustang

As other's have already said, drive each and choose the one that fits you the best ...
Old 08-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
when buying my first gen 5 its was research: I got a l99 triple black vert 2ss/rs loved it yet knew I wanted another and got another in 2013 with all the options I wanted. I belong to true delta a reporting site for car repairs, go there and look at comparisons between the cars and figure this: Mustangs had solid live rear axles and that gained in the weight loss department that way and were forced to change to handle better, there brakes usually weaker with more fade, their engine huge a real knuckle buster with a friggin rubber band in it and multiple cams...... The challenger arg..made by dodge even less reliable than a mustang, and heavier, and frankly not as pretty as a Camaro. P.S. I traded in a Harley f-150 for my first Camaro, never would regret it, and its $450 spark plug change when half the plugs broke off and had to be sucked out...but hey at least it was a triton and not a two valve with spark plugs blowing out of the heads, or had the weak frame.....
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body/scanner LED, DRL rewire, Custom badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 .
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
jrh

Drives: 2010 1SS eforce
Hi Guys.
I have ended up with a 2010 1SS with the E-force S/C full kooks headers and exhaust EIBACH suspension the car has 6.5 K miles, and oil life at 40%, Can I take it to the local CHEVY dealer for the oil change the reason I ask this is due to the fact that I am new at these Mods and I don't know if the dealer might mess up any tuning done to the car also the check engine light is on is this normal with these Mods.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #15
cwb90

Drives: 2014 1LT RS
I bought the camaro so I could be part of this great forum and camaro 5 family! If you buy the Mustang, well you'll belong to the other group!
cwb90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #16
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
2013 1LE with be your best bet.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Reservoir kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 5% Under drive Pulley, Dash-Logic controller, 3m Clear Bra, ZL1 Mirror inserts, GM Interior Ambient lighting, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, Carbon Fiber Bow ties front & rear, ZL1 DRL lighting harness.

KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #17
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Drive both. If you can't instantly see and feel the differences, then you'd probably be better off in the Mustang.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #18
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
Auto or manual? Would you leave it stock or mod to your heart's content?
Synyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #19
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
Just went thru this before I bought the camaro a week ago. Was considering new or used camaro ss, c6 vette, or r/t challenger (scat pack out of price range @ about 50k. Manual trans only for me. I work as a mechanic at an indy so I've "test " driven them all. Honestly you can't go wrong but the camaro offered the most utility and sports car feel. The challenger is a great looking car but the 5.7 hemi isn't enough for the heavy chassis imo. The 392 is a beast however. I also love handling. My advice is buy new if you can that way you know it's history. For used I would stick with gm....seems to be the most reliable. Ls engines are probably the last of user friendly, diy type engines. That was another plus for me. Proven track record, easy to mod, pushrod motor.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #20
Comrando
SScalator

Drives: 2011 RS CGM LS3
Quote:
Love the Metallica quote.

Expand on your answer...you mean reliability or something?
Stopping, handling, reliability, safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh View Post
Hi Guys.
I have ended up with a 2010 1SS with the E-force S/C full kooks headers and exhaust EIBACH suspension the car has 6.5 K miles, and oil life at 40%, Can I take it to the local CHEVY dealer for the oil change the reason I ask this is due to the fact that I am new at these Mods and I don't know if the dealer might mess up any tuning done to the car also the check engine light is on is this normal with these Mods.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Congratulations! How someone could not drive that car is beyond me
Did you get an owner's manual? http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/chevy-manuals.html

The dealer would have no reason to mess with your tune for an oil change.

See if they will read the SES code for you, it's probably the headers as the Edelbrock tune doesn't take those into account.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #21
dantemcc

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS Bumblebee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Drive both. If you can't instantly see and feel the differences, then you'd probably be better off in the Mustang.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

dantemcc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #22
jrh

Drives: 2010 1SS eforce
Thanks will check it out and let you know.
jrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM   #23
yzinger

Yeah, I would be a manual guy. Whats l99 mean? (i know i could google it but isnt this thread fun)

Also, I know the LS family are easy to mod and take well to mods. Honestly i bet i would love the car for the first little while. Of course like anything else i would want more and more power eventually.

If money were no issue i would have myself a 72 TA or Camaro pro-touring rig but, the good ones are high dollar cars.

I am pretty sure already i am leaning towards Chevy. Thats where my heart is and i am so sick of seeing all these Mustangs out on the road. Camaros are much less popular around my parts which is a good thing imo.