Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 02-11-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
tnspd

Drives: Camaro ZL1 (BERT)
ZL1 Modes

I was at a track day driving with my instructor, after the first 20 minute run he asked what all the different modes were and what did they do. I tried to explain what the different modes were and what they felt like to me it changed on the car. I dont think I did a very good job of it. So, is there a document that spells out what each mode does when you select it (steering, suspension, shifting, timing, etc....). That way I can be better prepaired when the question comes up again, and it will come up again.
tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
this is not explained in the owner's manual?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
tnspd

Not my knowledge that is why I asked here. Someone on here has to know what each mode does and changes on the car.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Performance Track Management (PTM)
Exclusive to GM and first introduced on the Corvette ZR1, PTM is a feature that tailors the performance of ZL1 to match the driver’s skills and driving conditions. This advanced system integrates Magnetic Ride Control, launch control, Traction Control and stability control. Five PTM performance levels or modes are available:

• Mode 1 – Traction Control set for wet conditions, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Tour

• Mode 2 – Traction Control set for dry conditions, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Tour

• Mode 3 – Traction Control set on Sport 1, with stability control on and Magnetic Ride Control set on Sport

• Mode 4 – Traction Control set on Sport 2, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Sport

• Mode 5 – Traction Control set on Race, with stability control off and Magnetic Ride Control set on Track
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Page 9-40, a little more in depth than HDRDTD's.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
tnspd

I'll look at that page. I saw what HDRDTD posted and that really does not tell what is really being changed as far as the systems setup on the car.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
tnspd

I looked at the pages and they really do not tell you what the system changes are. I did not even see mentioned about the steering feeling more responsive in any of the modes but it does. It does not say anything about the suspension feeling stiffer in different modes. Who can tell us what really is being done to the cars systems when selecting the different modes?

It says under Traction mode 2 that engine power is slightly reduced, traction 3 engine power is more than mode 2.....OK how is that being done?
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
I can't tell you everything, but I am someone that has engaged 'Stabilitrak' a few times.
For me, when this has happened, the computer has cut back the throttle so I don't spin the rear end out while cornering.
sometimes called a 'nanny' here on the forums. I like it.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I call it Vera View Post
I can't tell you everything, but I am someone that has engaged 'Stabilitrak' a few times.
For me, when this has happened, the computer has cut back the throttle so I don't spin the rear end out while cornering.
sometimes called a 'nanny' here on the forums. I like it.
The vert doesn't have PTM. OP look up above under zl1 owner
Welcome videos. There is one that goes over PTM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #10
sporto20

Drives: 1. 2010 2SS (sold) 2. 2013 ZL1 M6
As you go from mode 1 to 5: the steering and suspension get stiffer, the throttle response is more abrupt (push accelerator and you have less of a delay), the computer allows you more freedom (and is less intrusive) in terms of slipping/sliding and wheel spin. In general, it drives more "true" as you ascend in the modes, but is also more dangerous in terms of the potential for wheel spin, skidding, smoking tires, fish-tailing, etc.

Ported Supercharger, Snout and TB
Rotofab CAI
Kooks 1 7/8” Headers w/ high flow Cats
LPE GT9 Cam,
BTR Springs and Comp Pushrods
160 degree thermostat
2.55" Upper/9.1" Lower SC pulley w/ balancer
LPE solid isolator, ID850 Injectors
LPE heat exchanger w/ fans
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Custom Tune
sporto20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
The vert doesn't have PTM. OP look up above under zl1 owner
Welcome videos. There is one that goes over PTM.
That is correct, the Verts don't have PTMs
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
tnspd

Yes I understand what I feel happening. I have had my ZL1 since 2012 and race on a regular basis. Fastest ET fully stock is 11.77. I would like to know what really is happening in each mode. Someone on here maybe a GM employee can enlighten us.

Also, It appears something regulates the amount of Engine power you get in each mode. So, if you get a tune does that tune take over regardless of the mod you are in or does the mode choice still try to regulate the engine power somehow and if so how is that being done?
Old 02-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

PM Ted at Jannetty, I bet he can answer your questions.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #14
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnspd View Post
Yes I understand what I feel happening. I have had my ZL1 since 2012 and race on a regular basis. Fastest ET fully stock is 11.77. I would like to know what really is happening in each mode. Someone on here maybe a GM employee can enlighten us.

Also, It appears something regulates the amount of Engine power you get in each mode. So, if you get a tune does that tune take over regardless of the mod you are in or does the mode choice still try to regulate the engine power somehow and if so how is that being done?

Why do you really need to know? Sounds like you and your instructor have some reading to do? You have driven with them off before? You do feel the lighter steering with everything switched off? As you stated they regulate engine power and steering feel. The tune is for other parameters other than PTM modes.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
tnspd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Why do you really need to know? Sounds like you and your instructor have some reading to do? You have driven with them off before? You do feel the lighter steering with everything switched off? As you stated they regulate engine power and steering feel. The tune is for other parameters other than PTM modes.
Well your post was not any help. I have read the manual and watched the videos. I was looking for how it works info not this is what it does info. So if you know where I can read that then post that up.

Yes I have driven with all the nannies off. Many times. I want to know because I like to know that kind of stuff. I know what a tune is for. I have an 2010 Camaro SS with mods, a engine, and trany tune, my ZL1, and a Stingray that has more modes than the ZL1 so knowing what these modes really do would be very interesting to me.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Well your post was not any help. I have read the manual and watched the videos. I was looking for how it works info not this is what it does info. So if you know where I can read that then post that up.

Yes I have driven with all the nannies off. Many times. I want to know because I like to know that kind of stuff. I know what a tune is for. I have an 2010 Camaro SS with mods, a engine, and trany tune, my ZL1, and a Stingray that has more modes than the ZL1 so knowing what these modes really do would be very interesting to me.
I understand your curiosity and I must admit that you and I probably think a lot alike. I have asked the same question and been a little frustrated at the answers I have got. I can tell you this from actual experience on the racetrack and just plain goofing around while smoking tires.

The ZL1 PTM system has yaw sensors related to steering angle and has sensors related to front to rear wheel rotation speed variation. Since the rear is a limited slip the left to right wheel speed is basicially useless so it has to compare front to back. But then again it may compare left to right anyway, I don't know for sure.

Every PTM mode from 1 to 5 has a point where it says things are getting out of control and the PTM system has the ability to intervene and try to stop the problem by reducing power. When it reduces power its first reaction is to pull back the throttle body. Next, if the problem continues unabaited it will cut spark and fuel.

The lower the PTM setting the less variation with wheel speed and steering angle it will tolerate. I can promise you PTM 5 is not the same as all off. If you have the car in PTM 5 and spin the car completely around so the front tires are rolling backward it will cut the throttle and spark. In PTM 5 it is like it knows when you lost it and then says, okay, you lost it bud...start over. It however doesn't do anything until you are gone. Sometimes when I have the track to myself I like to switch between PTM 4 and 5 because in PTM 4 with my power I can run a controlled drift out of every corner by getting a little heavy on the throttle mid corner and then stomping it on the exit and letting the PTM keep it in check while I hold the pedal to the floor. When I do the same throttle mashing in PTM 5 the computer does not intervene until the car is dead sideways or backward and then it shuts it down.

If I run in PTM 3 it is cutting spark to keep the car in line and the guys behind me says it shoots flames 3 feet out the back when it puts the spark back on.

This system is much more complex than anything in the manual lets on and when you boost the horsepower your engine is producing, the PTM adjustments get more dramatic because it is so much easier to get the car really out of line. I'm a pretty fair driver and I do much better with my car in PTM 4 and then I still exercise a some restraint.
ADM - 434 ERL superdeck block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 3.23 rear diff. LPE pulley upgrades, IDE1200's. ADM 2000hp fuel system, ADM trunk mount intercooler reservoir, Ron Davis heat ex, and radiator, LPE oil cooler, rear subframe bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock kit, braided brake and clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. New dyno numbers pending after turbo install.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #17
Drm2Reality

Drives: 2013 AGM A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I understand your curiosity and I must admit that you and I probably think a lot alike. I have asked the same question and been a little frustrated at the answers I have got. I can tell you this from actual experience on the racetrack and just plain goofing around while smoking tires.

The ZL1 PTM system has yaw sensors related to steering angle and has sensors related to front to rear wheel rotation speed variation. Since the rear is a limited slip the left to right wheel speed is basicially useless so it has to compare front to back. But then again it may compare left to right anyway, I don't know for sure.

Every PTM mode from 1 to 5 has a point where it says things are getting out of control and the PTM system has the ability to intervene and try to stop the problem by reducing power. When it reduces power its first reaction is to pull back the throttle body. Next, if the problem continues unabaited it will cut spark and fuel.

The lower the PTM setting the less variation with wheel speed and steering angle it will tolerate. I can promise you PTM 5 is not the same as all off. If you have the car in PTM 5 and spin the car completely around so the front tires are rolling backward it will cut the throttle and spark. In PTM 5 it is like it knows when you lost it and then says, okay, you lost it bud...start over. It however doesn't do anything until you are gone. Sometimes when I have the track to myself I like to switch between PTM 4 and 5 because in PTM 4 with my power I can run a controlled drift out of every corner by getting a little heavy on the throttle mid corner and then stomping it on the exit and letting the PTM keep it in check while I hold the pedal to the floor. When I do the same throttle mashing in PTM 5 the computer does not intervene until the car is dead sideways or backward and then it shuts it down.

If I run in PTM 3 it is cutting spark to keep the car in line and the guys behind me says it shoots flames 3 feet out the back when it puts the spark back on.

This system is much more complex than anything in the manual lets on and when you boost the horsepower your engine is producing, the PTM adjustments get more dramatic because it is so much easier to get the car really out of line. I'm a pretty fair driver and I do much better with my car in PTM 4 and then I still exercise a some restraint.
Now that was some good feedback. About to hit my first autocross with the ZL1 because I just hit 1200 miles. Only 300 to go. Then in another month or two I will be going to the Auto Club Speedway to rip her up on the track. Can't wait to get it in PTM 4 or 5...it's gonna be soooo much fun!
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #18
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 ZL1; 2013 Z71 Tahoe; 2002 DTS
what is the default setting

2014 ZL1 M6
2013 Z71 Tahoe
2002 Deville
blessedhellride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #19
sberk1012

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7335
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedhellride View Post
what is the default setting
PTM 2
sberk1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #20
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:

I'm with you. I'd prefer an in depth description of what is happening. I find it disconcerting that I must turn traction control off to get into the PTM settings. Which setting is calmer, when you turn the car on in the tour mode or PTM mode 2?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 AM   #21
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
I prefer mode 5 for most of my driving. Havent done any road courses just drag strip. Mode 4 and 5 are the most stiff suspension settings and mode 5 also has less power steering assist giving it a tighter feel. If you drive on the highway and goto mode 5 on the fly you can feel the magnetic ride suspension tighten up seriously.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #22
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Jessrayo knows his stuff. The thing I like about our PTM system is that you can switch between modes on the fly so if you want less intervention go to PTM 4 or 5 and if you want more intervention go to PTM3.
#917 A6. 10.67@126.2 1.53 60' ATI/Lingenfelter balancer (10" ring), stock upper pulley, 90mm TB, ID850s,Rotofab/Lingenfelter intercooler reservoir, Cooler Logic HX, Lingenfelter idler relocation bracket, NGK TR7ix, 160 t-stat, Dewitts Radiator, Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers(no cats). M&H drag radials 325/45-17 & M&H 28x4.5" bias skinnies. Tuning by Frost at Performance Autosport in Richmond, VA (804) 358-2505
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #23
tnspd

Thanks for all the feed back everyone. I usually turn everything off on the drag strip and run in PTM 3 on the road coarse. Maybe when I get better on a road coarse I'll move to PTM 4 or 5. Heck I just got blessed off on to run without a teacher/coach on a road coarse.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #24
SSSylentZL1
Aggressive ZL1 Driver

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
I've always had the problem of not knowing how to switch modes, anyone care to enlighten me please?
2012 ZL1 #984
Current Mods: Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake, 20%tint all around, 35% windshield, Tinted side markers, Dipped Taillight bezels,emblems, Red interior light

----------------------------------------------------
Future mods:
ARH Headers w/o cats, 3" connection pipes, VMAXX Ported TB, Apex Catch Can
Technostaglia Taillights, Night Owl/ Oracle Halo headlights, Fog light Halos
SSSylentZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #25
kaamacat

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1 (Bright Yellow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
I've always had the problem of not knowing how to switch modes, anyone care to enlighten me please?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220554

Then scoot down to the video on Magnetic Ride Control....

2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6Sp, MicroSuede
2011 Porsche GT3RS - sold
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote