Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 11-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
supergt99

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
sts twin turbo question

what size are the charge pipes that run up the sides? just looking for some info about this system. doesnt seem to be many pics of the cold side.
supergt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
supergt99

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
Or even the install manual would help me
supergt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
masterguns95 1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Good luck getting info from STS. I'm in Afghanistan and can't make the phone call, but I have sent numerous emails to the "contact us" email to no avail. I went to the web page that allows you to "build" your own. after doing all of the input, several days later I got a response telling me they were glad to hear from me about my 2011 Camaro (it is a 2013) and wanted me to call them back with any questions. I reserve my $5/minute phone calls for my bride (36years). I emailed a response right away. still no reply been about 2 weeks. I figure they don't need my money. Kind of a shame, though, the wife also wanted a system for her 13 mustang.
Semper Fi
masterguns95 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
You guys may have specific reasons for chasing STS, but if you want top notch customer service before during and after the sale, there are some vendors here on Camaro5 that provide just that...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergt99 View Post
what size are the charge pipes that run up the sides? just looking for some info about this system. doesnt seem to be many pics of the cold side.
If you looking for a twin turbo system AGP is the best choice hands down.

1/10 the pluming, fastest turbo spool up available, OEM quality.

Give us a call to discuss your project.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Even though AGP has awesome customer service, one of the big advantages IMO I the dealer network. You can call Ted, or Matt, or Fran, or the guys at LMR, or Lethal, or Joe, or the list goes on and on.

Hell, you can ask me and if I don't know I'll drive over there and find out. I try to do lunch with them at least once a week.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
masterguns95 1LE

Thanks for the help. I am interested in the weight distribution of the additional 200+ pounds. This is something not written about much when choosing power adders. My thinking is that if 200 pounds is added to the nose, steering geometry changes and therefore, additional costs getting things back to where they where or better. Thanks again.
Semper Fi
Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterguns95 1LE View Post
Thanks for the help. I am interested in the weight distribution of the additional 200+ pounds. This is something not written about much when choosing power adders. My thinking is that if 200 pounds is added to the nose, steering geometry changes and therefore, additional costs getting things back to where they where or better. Thanks again.
Semper Fi
The weight on the nose is more than made up for in the spool time... As for steering geometry, at least in my case with the adjustable coil overs, this was never an issue... We corner weighted the car, as we do before every race event, I run standing mile events over 200 mph, and an alignment for high speed passes...

Something that will help is the intended purpose of the car... Street rod, drag racing, high speed racing, road course, auto X etc... The best kits out there right now (IMO) mount the turbos down low right off the exhaust manifolds... This helps in several ways..

The added weight is low...
The overall capacity of boost and hot side piping is reduced...
The exhaust charge is still at very high heat levels when it hits the hot side of the turbo...

With turbos way out back, the lag time is very apparent. You have way more volume of boost piping to fill as well to make the boost, and you lose a whole lot more at each shift, which has to be regained to make full power... This all takes time in addition to the cooling loss of the exhaust charge by the time it reaches the turbos... Consider how cool the exhaust at the tips is compared to the exhaust manifolds.

I could weigh all of my stuff not including the inter cooler as it's currently on the car still, but I don't think my entire kit is much over 120 or so lbs... If that... And I have thick wall custom SS exhaust manifolds which are heavier than the factory cast manifolds... Additionally down low most of the weight is still behind the spindles...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 11-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #9
masterguns95 1LE

SSE 4 2SS,
Thanks for the additional knowledge. I have written STS off. Have been looking at Granatelli and AGP twin turbo setups.
When you stated that the intended purpose of the vehicle....Well, I just don't know. It won't be a dedicated anything. While I was in Afghanistan my wife moved us from Roby, TX to central MI. There are a lot of drag strips around and I just found that Grattan raceway is only 20+ miles from the house. I imagine I will be involved in all of these things. I an looking at having fun mostly, I don't think I would be competitive with anyone, but want to improve my skills and have fun. so probably track days, some at the strips etc. Having fun with the family. The 1le is the first car I have owned since the midnight drags of a small west TX town in 74-5. I was driving a 67 el Camino then. Nothing but pickups and mini vans until the 1.e followed me home. Always wanted a Camaro and forced induction. my prejudices prevent the purchase of TVS2300s, and centrifugal huffers. any advice you can give would be appreciated, Thanks
Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
There were a few people with very poor Granatelli experience.

Kits is ~90lbs, not including the parts you take off. I would bet added weight is in the 75lb range, and it is low like SSE said.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
SSE 4 2SS,
Thanks for the additional knowledge. I have written STS off. Have been looking at Granatelli and AGP twin turbo setups.
When you stated that the intended purpose of the vehicle....Well, I just don't know. It won't be a dedicated anything. While I was in Afghanistan my wife moved us from Roby, TX to central MI. There are a lot of drag strips around and I just found that Grattan raceway is only 20+ miles from the house. I imagine I will be involved in all of these things. I an looking at having fun mostly, I don't think I would be competitive with anyone, but want to improve my skills and have fun. so probably track days, some at the strips etc. Having fun with the family. The 1le is the first car I have owned since the midnight drags of a small west TX town in 74-5. I was driving a 67 el Camino then. Nothing but pickups and mini vans until the 1.e followed me home. Always wanted a Camaro and forced induction. my prejudices prevent the purchase of TVS2300s, and centrifugal huffers. any advice you can give would be appreciated, Thanks
The simplicity and low and back mounting of the AGP turbo kit with Castings to mount the turbos and wastegates is a win win win.

I have looked at all the other turbo offerings and AGP gets my endorsement due to the OEM engineering approach.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
SSE 4 2SS,
You are most welcome. We all try to help. well most of us... lol...

One of the cool things about the turbos is you can dial the boost up and down for a given situation.

Drag racing, provided the suspension and drive line are upgraded to handle it, you can turn the boost up a bit and have fun... for auto cross or track days, turn the boost down.... If you come out a corner and hammer too hard, you'll ground loop the car into the next area code... Street driving is as calm and sedate as driving a stock car until you put your foot down...

Regardless of the vendor you select, call them and have an honest talk with them. AGP and one or two other vendors will give you very accurate feedback and make knowledgeable recommendations. It's also pretty easy to grow the system down the road if you desire more power.... I sent you a pm, and please pay attention to the comment "Unreal" made above....

I would like to suggest you upgrade to ball bearing turbos right off the bat... I cooked a journal bearing turbo within one week and it took the other turbo with it.... This was entirely due to a vendor (not in this thread or on these boards anymore) that improperly sized things when he knew what we were doing....

You do realize it's cold in MI right.... pack up and come on back to Texas....

Old 11-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
BUMBLEBEE_SS

Drives: 2010 SS LS3 S200 56/61 AGP TT
+1 for AGP!

I'm running 618RWHP and its nuts!

Hoping that AGP builds a set for the C7. The whole install went smooth
and was bolted up by my local shop who is looking into being a vendor.

Thumbs up for AGP thumbs down for me as I could soon not only be the
TT camaro in the city! Maybe even province as far as I know!
BUMBLEBEE_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
Les7311

Drives: 45th Anniv, 2SS, LS3, '07 M109
Send a message via Yahoo to Les7311
Scribed.....
Les7311 is offline   Reply With Quote