Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Arrow The Perfect Nitrous Kit! Everything you need!

***UPDATED*** Changed some information on the controller and timing retard sections after some much appreciated feedback.

After much research, and some N2O/Nitrous verbage corrections, I have found and settled on a kit for my already modded and fast 2010 2SS/RS. Here's what I'm going with and if anyone is looking for the ultimate kit, I think this is a good start. Maybe I can save you the research time I had to endure by posting this. Plus I'll spell out what everything does. The learning curve was slight but this should save anyone interested in Nitrous a lot of footwork or mouse clicks.

There are several good Nitrous companies on the market, i.e. Nitrous Outlet, ZEX, Nitrous Express, NOS, etc. I went with Nitrous Outlet as they were the only ones to reply to my requests for quotes and info (No disrespect), and I know of a couple kits installed already that are bad to the bone!!

First the Kit. Nitrous Outlet makes a plate kit for the 2010+ Camaro SS in 90mm TB size (bigger if you have an aftermarket manifold). You need to specify what bottle size you want. I went with the 10 lb. bottle. The plates kits are nice as they mount between your manifold and your Throttle Body and have more consistent spray and atomization. This is the base kit you will need to get started but not the only thing you will need. That is if you want to do it right, and keep the system somewhat self sufficient and safe.

Name:  Nitrous Plate Kit.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  66.7 KB

You will need some nitrous goodies to make the system NHRA compliant if you race, plus safer as it provides everything you need in one kit. The Nitrous Outlet Stage III accessory Kit. You can buy the Stage II or I as well but I wanted the extra stuff i.e. the in line filter and purge valve. Plus it gives you a bottle heater and mount (the heater keeps your nitrous pressure up when your bottle starts to empty) which mounts on a plate to the inside edge of your trunk using factory studs. Nice and easy. A blow down tube and fuel pressure safety switch. I wouldn't do this any other way. All of these components will help you keep your system monitored and safe.

Name:  Stage III Kit.jpeg
Views: 1231
Size:  67.2 KB

To get rid of the fuel pressure headache and having to install a higher output fuel pump or BAP I decided it would be much easier (although more costly) to go with a dedicated fuel system. This way the fuel system is totally independent of the cars fuel system. It provides the proper amount of constant fuel pressure and can be filled with C16 race gas giving you an excellent wet shot of fuel and nitrous. After talking to some performance shops and doing a lot of reading, this is the way to go. The Fuel system runs about $900, but well worth the time and ease without having to drop your fuel tank, install a different pump and reassemble. Only a couple hundred dollars more in the long run and well worth it.

Name:  Dedicated Fuel.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  75.8 KB

You'll want to change your plugs too if you are using more than a 50-75 shot of nitrous. I am going for the 150 shot first and see how the car responds so I will need to drop my plugs 2 steps colder. Nitrous Outlet sells a couple choices. I am going with the NGK BRE7F plugs.

Name:  Plugs.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  9.4 KB

Now the brain of this madness. You will need a controller to make all of this craziness work smoothly with your car. NOS makes a mini 2-stage controller that is popular and easy to work with. LPE makes a unit called the LNC2000. This awesome little device does a couple things. It's both a launch controller and it pulls timing. Since I'm using the NOS unit for the launch control, I am utilizing the LNC2000 by Lingenfelter to pull timing. You can use one of the two accessory outputs of the NOS controller to trigger or activate the LNC2000. So the two units will work well together. The reason I opted out of using the LNC2000 Launch control portion is because this particular feature will kill spark and can cause a build up of fuel in the exhaust or cats which can damage or completely ruin them. I still have high flow cats on my car so I went with the NOS controller for launching. This NOS controller lets you choose at what RPM the nitrous comes on and when it should shut off to avoid spraying while hitting your rev limiter. Even cooler is it will allow you to ramp the nitrous up if you want instead of a full on at the desired RPM level. Basically an RPM sensing, on/off controller. Plus it connects to your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) so it knows to activate fully when you are at WOT. Very cool little unit. Even though the system I am installing has one stage, this controller has two stages if you ever want to upgrade and two remote outputs one of which I'll be using to activate the LNC2000 timing retard feature.

Name:  NOS Controller mini.jpg
Views: 1314
Size:  113.3 KB

Name:  LNC2000.jpg
Views: 1035
Size:  59.1 KB

So while utilizing nitrous you need a way to pull timing when the system is engaged or "armed". Sullivan inc has a "Black Box", where you can control the timing. They set these up to hold your NA and N2O tunes. Just load the tune, check bottle pressure and you're off. Sam at Sullivan posted below and you can see his information there if you are interested in going this route.

Name:  Black Box.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  8.0 KB

Another very cool feature which I would not go without is a remote bottle opener. This way you can open and close your nitrous bottle from inside the car. It wouldn't be cool to have to pop your trunk each time, turn the bottle on, close the trunk and get back in every time you want Nitrous. I mean, you can do it this way. It would be cheaper. But I'm spending the $200 bucks and getting the remote opener. I went with the NOS opener because I got it for a low $135 also on Amazon. Waaay cheap considering. It's normally a $220 opener.

Name:  bottle opener.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  15.6 KB

Last but not least, the switch panel that controls it all from the comfort of the cockpit. Nitrous Outlet makes a really cool switch panel in two styles. One that mounts in one of your cup holders, or one that mounts in your center console compartment. I chose the latter because it's hidden this way. And when this kit is installed, short of opening the trunk to expose the bottle, the rest of the kit is pretty much entirely hidden. Very cool. So here's the switch panel that give you the arm switch to activate the system, the Purge button that blows the air and gas out of the nitrous line for instant hit off the line, bettering your 60' times if you're drag racing, the switch to turn on the bottle warmer if your pressure starts dropping, and lastly the handy little button that opens your nitrous bottle remotely. Very cool eh? I might mention that there are some other products out there that are excellent for keeping your bottle pressure consistent. The Nano system is excellent but around $500. It's a separate bottle that hooks to your nitrous bottle, keeping the pressure regulated and consistent. I'm doing the heater option for now but will probably upgrade later.

Name:  Switch panel.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  46.1 KB

So there you have it! A complete, awesome system that will make even a stock Camaro hell on wheels. The 150 shot jetting will put a stock manual in the mid to high 500 HP at the wheels range. The torque numbers are off the charts with Nitrous as well. My car should be running over 600 HP when this system is installed since I already have several engine and exhaust upgrades.

Hope this helps the noobs like I was. You might have more questions and feel free to post. If I don't know the answer there are several guys that will more than likely chime in and help you out. Also, don't forget to get your car professionally tuned. You don't wan to buy all of this stuff and end up blowing your car up. Here's the best part. Everything above I'll be about $2500 out of pocket not counting the tune. Pretty extraordinary since it would cost me well over $10K to supercharge my car. Best bang for the buck for sure!

Enjoy!!

PS- Sam at Sullivan GM Performance in Las Vegas was a huge help in explaining some of this stuff. If you need anything in the GM performance arena and can get to him, DO NOT hesitate. He's a magnificent tuner and he knows his stuff on these GM platforms. He built my car and it has been flawless for over a year now.

Last edited by SixGracing; 08-15-2013 at 09:45 AM.
SixGracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Very Nice write-up!!! As a "newb" to nitrous, I'm sure I'll use some of this information in the future.

Thanks!
QA1 DA Front Coilovers, Strange Engineering DA Rear Coilovers, Mike Norris Catch-Can, V-Max CNC PTB, Aeromotive Fuel Rails.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Very Nice write-up!!! As a "newb" to nitrous, I'm sure I'll use some of this information in the future.

Thanks!
You're welcome.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Rohdeo16
USMC - SNSSTR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks a bunch for the list of stuff!

How are you going to be adjusting your timing for the nitrous?

2010 Black SS/RS M6 | 514hp | 470tq | GPI/Rhino Tune
Rohdeo16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Ryan@Lingenfelter

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
Now the brain of this madness. You will need a controller to make all of this craziness work smoothly with your car. NOS makes a mini 2-stage controller that is popular and easy to work with. LPE makes a couple nice ones too but you have to be careful with them because they kill spark when operated and cause raw fuel to collect in your exhaust which can damage or ruin your Cats.
I think you are referring to our launch controller (LNC-2000). The launch control will cut spark and could cause raw fuel to accumulate in the exhaust. Please do not confuse this with our nitrous controller (NCC-002).

Also, you could use the LNC-2000 to pull timing only (not utilize the launch control function)
rgledhill@lingenfelter.com
Ryan@Lingenfelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@Lingenfelter View Post
I think you are referring to our launch controller (LNC-2000). The launch control will cut spark and could cause raw fuel to accumulate in the exhaust. Please do not confuse this with our nitrous controller (NCC-002).

Also, you could use the LNC-2000 to pull timing only (not utilize the launch control function)
No disrespect Ryan. Yeah I was referring to the LNC2000 for pulling timing and cutting spark. I didn't elaborate much in this paragraph about your products and maybe should have. Also, I should have stated that without cats this system wouldn't be an issue. I wish I didn't have cats because I really like the fact that the LNC interfaces between the ECU and pulls timing when it senses WOT. Right now I am just going to tune for the timing change that is needed, but need to find a way to have either two quickly selectable tunes, or a unit like the LPE. I have HP Tuners to load the tunes but I want something a little easier to load.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Sullivan

Drives: powerful
You can control the timing using a "Black Box." We set these up to hold your NA and N2O tunes. Just load the tune, check bottle pressure, and spray that girl!!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
SixGracing

Quote:

See the couple of posts above. I'm still deciding on a long term method. Right now I'm just going to have two tunes. The regular tune I'm running now and a tune for the Nitrous that I'll load for racing when I'm using the system.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Ryan@Lingenfelter

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
Quote:
No disrespect Ryan. Yeah I was referring to the LNC2000 for pulling timing and cutting spark. I didn't elaborate much in this paragraph about your products and maybe should have. Also, I should have stated that without cats this system wouldn't be an issue. I wish I didn't have cats because I really like the fact that the LNC interfaces between the ECU and pulls timing when it senses WOT. Right now I am just going to tune for the timing change that is needed, but need to find a way to have either two quickly selectable tunes, or a unit like the LPE. I have HP Tuners to load the tunes but I want something a little easier to load.
You can use the LNC-2000 to pull your timing safely. Just do not utilize the launch control feature as that is the part that would damage the cats.
rgledhill@lingenfelter.com
Ryan@Lingenfelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
You can control the timing using a "Black Box." We set these up to hold your NA and N2O tunes. Just load the tune, check bottle pressure, and spray that girl!!

Read my mind! I emailed so disregard that. Perfect, so yeah, here you go. The black box. Will hold both tunes and is selectable on the fly.

Thanks Sam.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
SixGracing

Quote:
You can use the LNC-2000 to pull your timing safely. Just do not utilize the launch control feature as that is the part that would damage the cats.
I see. Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
striker1703
striker

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post

Sent you a Pm for more information
Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: EB Expedition, 2010 2SS/RS M6
Why not use the LNC2000 to pull timing without using the launch control feature? How convenient is it to switch tunes with the black box? Loading tunes with an SCT tuner takes some time, so might be a pita. Also, rev limiter cuts fuel on stock tune, not sure about black box tune. Make sure spray cutoff is below rev limiter. Fuel cut with nitrous spraying would be bad, even with a wet plate. LNC2000 has a rev limiter, if not using the launch contol, that cuts spark.
Nitrous Outlet Plate (progressive, fuel hose upgrade, remote opener, heater, filter, console switches), LNC2000, ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers, Jet Hot Coated LTs, JRE SCT Tune, CAI, Rx Catch Can, Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res, Metco loop, Momentum Tunnel Brace, Autometer wideband, Fesler Pillar Pod, LED strips (interior), Lloyds floor & trunk mats, LED DRL/front turn & license plate, DRL harness, VLEDs tail lights, Plasticoat Bowties, vinyl Bowtie center caps. No holes drilled. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov. 19, 2009 13.17 @ 112.6 Bone stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
Why not use the LNC2000 to pull timing without using the launch control feature? How convenient is it to switch tunes with the black box? Loading tunes with an SCT tuner takes some time, so might be a pita. Also, rev limiter cuts fuel on stock tune, not sure about black box tune. Make sure spray cutoff is below rev limiter. Fuel cut with nitrous spraying would be bad, even with a wet plate. LNC2000 has a rev limiter, if not using the launch contol, that cuts spark.
Agreed! I actually just over an hour ago emailed Nitrous Outlet and LPE to see if I could use their LNC2000 with the NOS mini progressive controller. Even though the black box is a solution, I was struggling with the same dilemma. Having to load a tune, like you said isn't exactly a quick process. I have HP tuners and dragging out the laptop, hooking up the OBD plug, waiting for it to read, then load, etc. Cumbersome if I'm going to be switching frequently. The LNC2000 deals with that problem. I can't use the launch control on it because I still have cats but I definitely want that built in timing retard. Especially since it interfaces between the cars ECU and is automated after it's set up.

I planned on setting the Controller to engage nitrous at about 3000 RPM, not sure yet if I want it to come full on at that point or ramp. I guess playing with it at the track will help. Also was going to set the cutoff at about 200 RPM below the rev limiter for safety. Where I'll be running a dedicated fuel cell, I shouldn't have any issues with fuel pressure and/or nitrous spraying when it's not wanted if the controller is configured properly. I just want to get it set up, tuned and I'm assuming that the LNC2000 arms when the nitrous system does and is dormant when the system is off?

I'm hoping to do a full on picture tutorial of the install when I get all of the components. Some are on their way and I have a couple more to order still. Brandon at Nitrous Outlet has been great to work with, responds quickly, and that's what I'm looking for in these new horizons.. Customer service! Thank you.

Thanks for the info
Old 08-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
SixGracing

Updated the controller and timing section.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #16
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

An output from your NOS controller will trigger the LNC2000 to pull timing. May want to check your tune to see if it cuts spark. You can set the LNC2000 below stock limit, it cuts spark. Just in case something malfunctions, it might help. My NA tune is supposed to be changed to cut spark, not fuel. I use the progressive ramp for traction and it's probably easier on the drivetrain.
Nitrous Outlet Plate (progressive, fuel hose upgrade, remote opener, heater, filter, console switches), LNC2000, ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers, Jet Hot Coated LTs, JRE SCT Tune, CAI, Rx Catch Can, Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res, Metco loop, Momentum Tunnel Brace, Autometer wideband, Fesler Pillar Pod, LED strips (interior), Lloyds floor & trunk mats, LED DRL/front turn & license plate, DRL harness, VLEDs tail lights, Plasticoat Bowties, vinyl Bowtie center caps. No holes drilled. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov. 19, 2009 13.17 @ 112.6 Bone stock
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #17
SixGracing

Quote:
An output from your NOS controller will trigger the LNC2000 to pull timing. May want to check your tune to see if it cuts spark. You can set the LNC2000 below stock limit, it cuts spark. Just in case something malfunctions, it might help. My NA tune is supposed to be changed to cut spark, not fuel. I use the progressive ramp for traction and it's probably easier on the drivetrain.
Yeah I don't want to use the LNC2000 for cutting spark, only timing retard. Cutting spark causes issues with raw fuel collecting in the cats. I have high flow cats on my car still and is why I went with the NOS mini controller. The LNC would be perfect for both applications if my cats were off. But then I'd have to deal with the headache of emissions every other year. I'm going to leave my NA tune just the way it is, then arm the system which will engage the LNC and the NOS controller. They will do the job for the nitrous system functioning properly.

Do you know what ramp rates you are using for lauching? What RPM is your nitrous triggering and once triggered how fast does it come up to full on?

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:24 AM   #18
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

100 shot, 50% start .5 sec. Any more, too much wiggle with stock Pirelli. Still scratchen for some 18s. Reset ramp each gear and no gears locked out. Need to experiment with the progressive build instead of resetting ramp in each gear. 3000-6300 rpm.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
SixGracing

Quote:
100 shot, 50% start .5 sec. Any more, too much wiggle with stock Pirelli. Still scratchen for some 18s. Reset ramp each gear and no gears locked out. Need to experiment with the progressive build instead of resetting ramp in each gear. 3000-6300 rpm.
That sounds good although I'll probably cut it at 6700 rpm since my car now has a higher rev limit.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
Fast6.3

Drives: 2011 2ssrs vert 2010 silverado 6.3
nitrous tune

Quote:
not to hijack your thread great writepu btw Im doing the same setup as you but would like to know what would be better a custom n2o tune or to setup the car with the nos mini and the lnc2000 since Im going to use a wet system with a stand alone fuel system . Im hoping some of the gurus will chime in Im also a nwoob to n2o but excited about the 200 or 250 extra ponies
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
not to hijack your thread great writepu btw Im doing the same setup as you but would like to know what would be better a custom n2o tune or to setup the car with the nos mini and the lnc2000 since Im going to use a wet system with a stand alone fuel system . Im hoping some of the gurus will chime in Im also a nwoob to n2o but excited about the 200 or 250 extra ponies
You can do the custom N2O tune, but once your dialed in for the Nitrous, your car won't be as responsive because if you're going to be running 200+ HP, you're going to literally have about 8 degrees of timing pulled. You car will run like crap when your system isn't armed. If you have a way to switch between tunes, like with that black box that was mentioned in the thread, that would be ideal.

The NOS Mini and LNC2000 are the way to go I think. That way you don't have to mess with your existing tune. The LNC will pull timing when armed so there is no need to worry about 2 tunes. Your tuner will dial the system in with the LNC2000, then once your dialed in you're good. Turn the sytem off and you'll be back to your NA tune.

One other thing. You'll probably have to go about 3 steps colder on your plugs if you're running 200+ HP.

Did I answer your question or am I off?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #22
Fast6.3

Drives: 2011 2ssrs vert 2010 silverado 6.3
you got it thats my plan I want my na tune its a dd but I want to turn the n2o on the fly you know when a pesky mustang or something like that meets up in the street I want to arm it and go tks
Old 08-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #23
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
you got it thats my plan I want my na tune its a dd but I want to turn the n2o on the fly you know when a pesky mustang or something like that meets up in the street I want to arm it and go tks
Exactly! Although most Mustangs won't beat me on my NA configurartion. A GT500, yeah that would be tough, but with a 200+ shot of nitrous, should be a good match.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 PM   #24
Gen5SS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 6 Spd Manual IOM
How's the build coming?
2010 2SS/RS, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks 3" Exhaust W/O Cats, CAI Intake and Scoop, Cam SullivanGM(SamCam) W/ Hardened PR, Dual Springs, Mcleod RXT Clutch, Hurst LL W/ Cruise Momentary, GM 3.91 gears, Nitrous Outlet kit W/150 Shot And Dedicated Fuel Cell(C16),BMR TA, Pfadt Drop, Diff Bushings, 1400hp DSS Axles, Solid Engine Mounts, Pedders Brake Lines, Razzi Body Kit, T-REX Phantom Grills (Black), W/ 627 WHP, 737 TQ
Gen5SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #25
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5SS View Post
How's the build coming?
Started it this Sunday worked through yesterday, Wednesday, and man was I surprised how much stuff there was to do. I kept all the lines internal so i had most of the passenger side panels out, the back seat out, the center console disassembled etc. Got all the wires ran and the hardware installed day one. Day two connecting everything per the diagram that Nitrous Outlet provided. Day three, clean up, test, reassembly of car etc..

Drove the car down to Las Vegas to let Sam at Sullivan Performance take the tuning reigns. I planned on tuning it for the 200 shot. Well Sam started with the 100 shot and brilliantly went through the steps of verifying everything was working as designed. We only had one issue, which was my fault. I missed one ground on the NOS mini controller and it happened to be the ground for the Solenoids. When we'd get the car over the 3000 rpm mark at WOT the solenoids weren't activating. Well the ground being disconnected will certainly make that not happen. So we attached the ground, re-tested and Voila!

Long story short, we stopped at the 150 shot jetting. We were using C16 in the dedicated fuel cell too. So my car went from the low 400's rwhp baseline and just under 400 RWT to 572 RWHP and 608 RWT! It's like a completely different car now. We do have the proper timing numbers for the 200 shot if I decide to do that, which I'm sure I will soon. Just wanted to get used to this massive increase in power before I go full monty. The LNC2000 by Lingenfelter works beautifully for pulling timing at the specified RPM and specified number of degrees. The NOS Mini 2 controller sets up super easy and controls the Solenoids, senses WOT, and ativates the LNC at 3000 RPM and off 200 RPM below the rev limiter.

Tomorrow, weather pending is the last day of the drag season here in Utah. Hoping to get the car out there and get some real world numbers. I'll post time slips if everything works out with the weather.