Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,061
which mods in what order?

Hello everybody,

my ride is a 2013 1Ls and so far I've only done a flowmaster catback. I was thinking about a CAI and maybe a X-pipe instead of the stock H-pipe . I was also thinking about lowering the car, but can't decide what springs to go with. Been doing research and found out about the catch cans and that seems like i should get that on as soon as I can. In what order have you guys done your mods?? Sorry fir the longish post and thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

Thank you.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
jameslk55

 
jameslk55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Hello everybody,

my ride is a 2013 1Ls and so far I've only done a flowmaster catback. I was thinking about a CAI and maybe a X-pipe instead of the stock H-pipe . I was also thinking about lowering the car, but can't decide what springs to go with. Been doing research and found out about the catch cans and that seems like i should get that on as soon as I can. In what order have you guys done your mods?? Sorry fir the longish post and thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

Thank you.
1. Elite catch can
2. Corsa catback exhaust
3. Injen cold air intake

Doesn't the Flowmaster American Thunder kit already replace the factory h-pipe?
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk55 View Post
1. Elite catch can
2. Corsa catback exhaust
3. Injen cold air intake

Doesn't the Flowmaster American Thunder kit already replace the factory h-pipe?
Wait is mine even a catback?? I just went to a local exhaust shop and they installed some flowmaster mufflers. I had them cut the stock pipes right after the h-pipe and told not to weld the new pipe with the stock pipe, that way I could always put the stock pipe back on
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Apex Chase

 
Apex Chase's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,887
Get a catch can ASAP. After that, there is no right or wrong order.
__________________
Apex Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Wait is mine even a catback?? I just went to a local exhaust shop and they installed some flowmaster mufflers. I had them cut the stock pipes right after the h-pipe and told not to weld the new pipe with the stock pipe, that way I could always put the stock pipe back on
Nope, that's essentially an axle-back.

I'd do the catch can first, like Chase said. Then pretty much whatever you want, based on what's important to you. I love my Roto - Fab intake, so I'd look into a CAI of some sort, but that's me, not you.
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust
Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
JohnnyBfromPeoria

 
JohnnyBfromPeoria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,037
Catch can, ported throttle body, cold air intake. No advice on lowering, sorry.

John B.
__________________
12 LS M6, IPF S/C, ASA GT-5 wheels, VMax PTB
1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR
1987 Dodge Raider Turbo Project
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
jameslk55

 
jameslk55's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Wait is mine even a catback?? I just went to a local exhaust shop and they installed some flowmaster mufflers. I had them cut the stock pipes right after the h-pipe and told not to weld the new pipe with the stock pipe, that way I could always put the stock pipe back on
I guess go with the intake after the catch can and if you're satisfied with the sound, don't do the x-pipe.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
skibik
Guest
 
Drives: bbbbbb
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bfe
Posts: 717
Order of mods I did was sound was most important and ordered them the day I got home with the car. Then I added Injen CAI short ram. The short list of mods goes on from there and is listed in my build thread.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:40 AM   #9
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Nope, that's essentially an axle-back.

I'd do the catch can first, like Chase said. Then pretty much whatever you want, based on what's important to you. I love my Roto - Fab intake, so I'd look into a CAI of some sort, but that's me, not you.
Is the roto-fab intake filter closed of or is it just there??
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Catch can, ported throttle body, cold air intake. No advice on lowering, sorry.

John B.
Did you feel a difference with the ported th??
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #11
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk55 View Post
I guess go with the intake after the catch can and if you're satisfied with the sound, don't do the x-pipe.
thanks man hadn't thought about doing the intake first..exhaust kind of rattles do you know if welding it will help?
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #12
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
Order of mods I did was sound was most important and ordered them the day I got home with the car. Then I added Injen CAI short ram. The short list of mods goes on from there and is listed in my build thread.

Dean.
Thanks man , beautiful looking camaro. Is there any reason you went with a short ram opposed to a CAI??
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:36 AM   #13
911medic

 
911medic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Is the roto-fab intake filter closed of or is it just there??
The top seals against the hood (similar to how the upcoming Z/28's intake does). The sides are walled off from the engine compartment.
__________________
All bleeding stops eventually -- My journal thread
Roto-Fab Intake & W/W Relocate Kit -- ADM Race Scoop -- Dynomax VT Axle-Back Exhaust
Drake Bowtie Delete -- JacFab Radio Face Cover -- LED Fog Lights -- LED Dome/Trunk/Plate Lights
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
Redliner1960
 
Redliner1960's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS White w/Orange Stripes
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 172
I went MRTv2 Axle back, CAI cold air induction and catch can first.....
__________________
Posting from Canton, Ohio - Home of the Football Hall of Fame

CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catchcan, Pro Art Vinyl Front and Rear, MRT V-2 Axleback Exhausts,Oracle lighting and American Racing Torque Thurst Wheels
Team LLT - Proud Member of NEOCC
Redliner1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #15
skirush
 
skirush's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 240
I've read a lot about the catch can and it seems that it's another point of disagreement and confusion. Why all the disagreement about the catch can? Either it helps or doesn't help, right?

From my understanding it's supposed to catch extra (or overflow) oil that would have gone back and built up in places you don't want it to. Sounds good. But the thing I don't understand is how GM would have designed the engines for the camaro in a way that this is required to protect the engine (yet they didn't ship the cars with it). What other cars need catch cans?
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Kessler
 
Kessler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM 2LT RS A6 w/ BA
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Valley, Ca
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner1960 View Post
I went MRTv2 Axle back, CAI cold air induction and catch can first.....
I agree Redliner. I did the same except swap for the MRT v1 axle back.

But I did cai, cc in the morning, and worked on the exhaust after the Arizonian Sun went down. Had to customize and made to fit, so it took me a little longer then just throwing them on.
__________________
ToDones -
Apex Scoop & Washer Relocate - CAI cai - VMAX Ported Throttle-body -
Elite CC - MRT v1 Axle Back customized w/ J-Pipes -
Blacked Out Headlight/Tail Light Areas - Blacked Out BowTies - Blacked Out 'camaro'
Brake Light Chrome Bezel delete - Front Plate Relocate
SubThump Sub Box 2 10"s - DRL to Halos

ToDos -
4 chan amp - Elite Clean Side Seperator
Kessler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #17
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
The top seals against the hood (similar to how the upcoming Z/28's intake does). The sides are walled off from the engine compartment.
Perfect that's what I need, I've had cars with a CAI that isn't sealed and the engine bay got really dusty really quick
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner1960 View Post
I went MRTv2 Axle back, CAI cold air induction and catch can first.....
Nice, I wanted the my Camaro white, but they didn't have and I couldnt wait anymore
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
I've read a lot about the catch can and it seems that it's another point of disagreement and confusion. Why all the disagreement about the catch can? Either it helps or doesn't help, right?

From my understanding it's supposed to catch extra (or overflow) oil that would have gone back and built up in places you don't want it to. Sounds good. But the thing I don't understand is how GM would have designed the engines for the camaro in a way that this is required to protect the engine (yet they didn't ship the cars with it). What other cars need catch cans?
You're right, what you said makes a lot of sense. Do you have a CC?? imo I'd rather pay $160 now instead of possibly paying hundreds maybe thousands for something major in the fhture.
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
Jenner

 
Jenner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1LS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Santa Ana, CA
Posts: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler View Post
I agree Redliner. I did the same except swap for the MRT v1 axle back.

But I did cai, cc in the morning, and worked on the exhaust after the Arizonian Sun went down. Had to customize and made to fit, so it took me a little longer then just throwing them on.
All in the same day?? Must have been amazing. I'd never seen the taillight chrome bezel delete
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
JohnnyBfromPeoria

 
JohnnyBfromPeoria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Did you feel a difference with the ported th??
Absolutely. Smoother throttle response.

John B.
__________________
12 LS M6, IPF S/C, ASA GT-5 wheels, VMax PTB
1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR
1987 Dodge Raider Turbo Project
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
intensifi

 
Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belmont, California
Posts: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
I've read a lot about the catch can and it seems that it's another point of disagreement and confusion. Why all the disagreement about the catch can? Either it helps or doesn't help, right?

From my understanding it's supposed to catch extra (or overflow) oil that would have gone back and built up in places you don't want it to. Sounds good. But the thing I don't understand is how GM would have designed the engines for the camaro in a way that this is required to protect the engine (yet they didn't ship the cars with it). What other cars need catch cans?
GM is required to design cars this way by "emissions" laws.

The reasons GM does not ship catch cans on the car are:

1) they cost money
2) they cost money
3) they cost money
4) the average Joe would forget to empty them
5) the "damage" takes time to build up
6) the dealer can sell you cleaning(s) to fix the "damage"
7) failed parts "earn" the service departments revenue
8) "treatments" are more financially lucrative than "cures"

Any car with a direct injection engine is a prime candidate if you want to keep it at top level performance and/or you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Even non DI cars are candidates as the detergent in the gasoline only (partially) cleans the valves.

The gasoline detergents never get a chance to clean throttle bodies or air intake manifolds on DI or non DI engines.

So the answer is: ALL cars benefit.

A catch can is for people who care about their engines and want to maintain top performance and prolong engine life.

The average Joe doesn't care about cars/engines at this level. The average Joe IS the mass market.
__________________
Mods: GM Locking Gas Cap, RS License Plate Frame

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
Redliner1960
 
Redliner1960's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT/RS White w/Orange Stripes
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Nice, I wanted the my Camaro white, but they didn't have and I couldnt wait anymore
Any color Camaro is great... just make her your own!
__________________
Posting from Canton, Ohio - Home of the Football Hall of Fame

CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catchcan, Pro Art Vinyl Front and Rear, MRT V-2 Axleback Exhausts,Oracle lighting and American Racing Torque Thurst Wheels
Team LLT - Proud Member of NEOCC
Redliner1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
skirush
 
skirush's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
GM is required to design cars this way by "emissions" laws.

The reasons GM does not ship catch cans on the car are:

1) they cost money
2) they cost money
3) they cost money
4) the average Joe would forget to empty them
5) the "damage" takes time to build up
6) the dealer can sell you cleaning(s) to fix the "damage"
7) failed parts "earn" the service departments revenue
8) "treatments" are more financially lucrative than "cures"

Any car with a direct injection engine is a prime candidate if you want to keep it at top level performance and/or you plan on keeping the car for a long time.

Even non DI cars are candidates as the detergent in the gasoline only (partially) cleans the valves.

The gasoline detergents never get a chance to clean throttle bodies or air intake manifolds on DI or non DI engines.

So the answer is: ALL cars benefit.

A catch can is for people who care about their engines and want to maintain top performance and prolong engine life.

The average Joe doesn't care about cars/engines at this level. The average Joe IS the mass market.
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #25
skibik
Guest
 
Drives: bbbbbb
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: bfe
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Thanks man , beautiful looking camaro. Is there any reason you went with a short ram opposed to a CAI??
Thanks for the compliment, I can only take some of the credit the rest goes to GM! LOL. Actually it is a CAI. Injen has two different CAI's a long tube and a short ram. The long tube hangs down and low in the vehicle and I assume picks air up from the lower part of the engine compartment. I went with the short ram as it uses a box closed off in the corner of the engine compartment like most of the other CAI's out there. I also didn't want it picking up water and snow.



Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.