Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #1
amishcrackdealer

Drives: 2012 Silver Camaro RS
Amish's RS

So I traded my 2010 Charger for this 2012 RS. I swear I had no intentions of modding it, but idle hands are the devil's workshop...

So I had my nitrous bottle from when I took it out of the charger before trading it. I decided I should install it in my camaro because, well, because I had it and who doesn't love seeing a NOS bottle when they pop the trunk So I mounted it in the center of the trunk under the package tray and I hooked up a purge kit to it because my fuel solenoid isn't working. I will get a new one in the near future and finish the install then.

I then added a retro style nose stripe like the old '68 Camaro RS.

and then a little "flair"...

Then I painted the rear diffuser to match the body color...

Then I changed the stock automatic shifter knob to a B&M t-handle. I had to modify a kit from Sickspeed to make it all work, but in the end - it works and is what I wanted. I will be adding a shifter boot iin the future.

my next plans involve stereo work and exhaust....
amishcrackdealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
amishcrackdealer

I forgot to mention the emblems... I ditched the grille emblem for a crosshair replacement I found on ebay and then I covered the rear trunk emblem with matching silver vinyl over the gold - leaving the chrome trim of the chevy bowtie. I like it.

and FYI - the red Camaro I am always parked next to belongs to my wife. Hers is a 2011 base model and the reason I wanted to buy one. I did the same work on her car except for the NOS and shifter handle.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
amishcrackdealer

Update: 8-16-14 EXHAUST MOD!

Let me start by saying that I am not a professional mechanic, exhaust expert, or videographer (as you will surely see). I used to own my own company making custom motorcycle exhaust and even hold a patent for one sportbike exhaust system. I have made my own exhaust systems on my Charger and my truck - and well - the Camaro was just too quiet. I didn't want to wake the dead nor sound like an evenrude boat motor (which is what I find most open pipe/glasspack V6's sound like). So I wanted to have a deeper tone, correct backpressure, and not be too loud. I took a starting video as my beginning point....

See - too quiet and meek sounding for me.
So I went to the local auto parts store and bought a few items ($80 total). I bought 2 pieces of 18" x 2 1/4" exhaust pipe, 2 pieces of 2 1/4" exhaust pipes with a 45 degree bend, 2 exhaust clamps (2 1/4"), and 2 chrome tips. (The tips were about $24 each - after the install I would recommend shorter tips to improve the end appearance). I then went to a local motorcycle shop and bought 2 exhaust baffles (2 1/4") for $30. You can get them on ebay for less, but I didn't want to wait for shipping.

Next it was pretty easy and straight forward. I went under the car, cut the stock mufflers out. I made sure I didn't cut too much of the pipe before the muffler because I wanted to make sure things lined up correctly on the roll pan where the tailpipe exits.

So to build the new system, I took the straight pipe and in the smaller end, I inserted the exhaust baffle. The baffle has small dimples in the body and its important to make sure the dimples face the right way so the exhaust hits them and are drawn out of the baffle. This creates the backpressure and will prevent "popping". Its the same operating principles as a glasspack muffler without the packing material and 3" diameter pipe.

I made sure to set the baffle inside the pipe about an inch so the welds wouldn't interfere with the bent pipe (the next step). The baffles didnt need to be fully welded - so I just ran a few tack lines.

After that - I placed the pipe on the car and made sure the length would be right for the 45 degree piece to point out the roll pan correctly. Once I made sure the pieces lined up - I welded the 45 degree pipe to the new baffled pipe I made and then clamped it to the car's exhaust pipe.

After that - its just clamping on the exhaust tip. Like I mentioned before - I am not 100% happy with the tips, so I will likely change them to something shorter so it tucks in better. But Its what I had so its what I used.

So here is the sound clip at start up and idle...

Here is a drive-by under normal driving (like any of us know what that is...):

and then typical Camaro drive-by:

and a very poorly done drive around with the camera inside. I hope no one vomits from the camera shaking and I had the window down when I do the first throttling. I apologize and then roll the window up and accelerate again...

So there it is. It took about an hour to do and I like it a lot better.