Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

horizon670
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
kkroll

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro
Solo High Flow Cats

I have a 2012 V6 and I am looking at putting a set of the Solo High Flow Cats on. They are the only one's that make anything like that for the LFX engine. What are people's thought's on them and would it be beneficial to coat them in a paint like VHT flame proof header paint or any other type of paint? Mainly to help prevent them from rusting over time, since they are T409 stainless steel instead of the higher grade T304.
kkroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Tavo32

Drives: LFX LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkroll View Post
I have a 2012 V6 and I am looking at putting a set of the Solo High Flow Cats on. They are the only one's that make anything like that for the LFX engine. What are people's thought's on them and would it be beneficial to coat them in a paint like VHT flame proof header paint or any other type of paint? Mainly to help prevent them from rusting over time, since they are T409 stainless steel instead of the higher grade T304.
I have a set of those and I like them. You can definitely feel the difference performance wise, at least I did. Makes the exhaust sound different but good. In regards to coating them I can't chime in on that as I didn't cost them myself
Old 08-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS, 04 Turbo Busa
They work great, I did not paint mine. Use a lift to install them makes it sooo much easier. About an hour to do both of mine on a lift.
CAI intake, RX catch can, NYTREX Nitrous,RX Ported Throttle body, APEX air scoop & washer relocation kit,, BMR diff bushings, cradle bushings, driveshaft loop and tunnel brace, trailing arms, toe arms, Hurst Roll control, Flex-a-lite transmission cooler, SOLO HFCs, M/T 20" D/Rs, FTI 3400 stall converter, JacFab ported intake manifold and upper intake isolator (12/13) Solo cat back Mach X system (2/14), SS diff 3.91 gears (11/2013) Weld RT-S 17x10 & 17x5 (4/2014)
TUNING BY: HP Tuners /MATT@FSP
( 1.63 60' / 12.238@107.62 10/25/2013 )
Refusing to grow older, I just go faster.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I have them. They will make the system sound little louder and more aggressive on the throttle. Do I like them? Depends on the mood I am in. 90% of the time I like them a lot and that is because they sound awesome with the MRT V2.0 exhaust when you get on it hard. The other 10% of the time, that has been of late, I kind of wish I would have just stopped with the V2's. I don't know about coating them and me being on a budget I would not do it if it was an option. Only advice I can give you is if you do it yourself and you have no lift is to do the passenger side first as that is a bear to get at. I ended up letting a shop do it that had a lift. If you plan on doing axle back mufflers along with the HFC's I would suggest you do the mufflers first if you want it louder then do the HFC's.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
kkroll

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro
Thanks for the advice. I will be using a lift.

Another question. I haven't really looked in depth into a catch can, but what is the total benefit of having one, and if I were to get one which one is the best?
kkroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Well, the benefit of having one is that it will separate the oil from the vapor from the crankcase ventilation system before it get into the intake manifold and engine. Since these engines are direct injection there is no fuel spraying on the back side of the valves and stems to help wash it into the combustion chamber and the oil that enters the engine seems to cake and carbon up on the stems. Hence the reason GM says to have upper induction cleaning at certain intervals. RX or Elite Engineering are the 2 top ones. Elite costs more and that is the one I purchase for the reason I would rather unscrew the can to empty rather than on the RX brand you have a drain hose. My luck, and memory, I would forget the drain open. I installed mine at last oil change and I am just over 4000 into it and I have been meaning to check it just to see what it has caught but I seem to forget to do that. I know I will remember when it comes time to change the oil next though.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Buschman

Drives: 2013 1LT VR RS
IMO I would put the money for cats into other mods. The gain you get from them is minimal, but good sound from what I hear. If you don't have them yet, I would go with a Apex scoop and washer bottle relocate, ported throttle body and a tune.
You will get a much better increase in HP and torque for the same/or less price.

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
Airmaster
Go Gators!

Drives: '13 Camaro and '97 Wrangler
I personally like them, not sure they are worth the MSRP but check for some deals on them. Install for me was very simple, the right side was not difficult at all with the right tool. A snap-on 1/4 ratchet with a 15 mm deep socket (think it was 15 mm). Took all but 4 hours for an entire exhaust change, headers back using just jack stands and occasionally a helping hand. Also included a beer break
Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
IMO I would put the money for cats into other mods. The gain you get from them is minimal, but good sound from what I hear. If you don't have them yet, I would go with a Apex scoop and washer bottle relocate, ported throttle body and a tune.
You will get a much better increase in HP and torque for the same/or less price.
I like your style, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkroll View Post
Thanks for the advice. I will be using a lift.

Another question. I haven't really looked in depth into a catch can, but what is the total benefit of having one, and if I were to get one which one is the best?
Give the thread below a quick look. If you have any questions afterwards feel free to hit me up.

The "Catch Can" Explained!