Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Flowmaster
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #18
RubyCamaro
Jan
 
RubyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Springfield, TN
Posts: 15,247
I am glad you & the kids were not hurt & hope you wife turns out to be okay or just minor injuries that heal quickly. I hope your Camaro gets fixed up good as new really soon. I am interested to hear more about whether or not the air bags should have deployed. It sure does look like they should have just from a casual observers viewpoint.
__________________
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #19
H8S FORD
Head Ford Harasser
 
Drives: '10 IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fair Oaks, Ca
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
You may have a case for a lawsuit. Give it some thought.


This is what's wrong with this country- this individual had no information about the incident yet; no direction or speed of travel, angle of impact, etc. The OP posted this after! However, he automatically jumps to the conclusion of sue! If you want to know why we can't have t-tops on our Camaros, it's because people like this would sue if the side curtains did in fact go off and cause the tops to break and send glass on the occupants. Screwed either way- sue, sue, sue! Check the facts on the operation of the equipment and the circumstances of the incident before dragging a company's name through the mud. People like you my friend have ruined many things in life for the rest of us.

Off my soap box now...

To the OP, hope your family is okay! I gave up my C6 for my SS so that I could take my newborn son to child care (here in Commiefornia, it is illegal to place any child in a carseat, in the front seat of a vehicle, regardless of whether that vehicle has a backseat or not), so this is a little alarming. God bless and good luck!

Dave
H8S FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #20
IowaGuy
 
IowaGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Cyber Gray Metallic Chevy Volt
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Lives on camaro5
Posts: 357
I'd refrain from posting in case
lawyers get involved. Best wishes!
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #21
Mr_Draco


 
Mr_Draco's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Western North Carolina
Posts: 6,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatch76 View Post
maybe hit me at about 10 mph...she then drove into the car and pushed us to the side of the road, maybe another 7 feet.
10 mph is not enough for the side air bags to go off. It requires more force than was exerted or a sudden change in side to side movement to set them off. Now if she hit you going 20 mph then yes it would have went off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncrediblyX View Post
Long story short, the airbags should've deployed. I hope your family is okay.
Read this part again. "18 mph for the more distributed side crashes (vehicle-to-vehicle crashes)."
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #22
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,334
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Was the passenger window up or down? If down the side airbag would have had nothing to press against when it inflated to protect her. That may be why it did not go off.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners, MPSS 285/35/20 on all 4 corners.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
PalmerGA


 
PalmerGA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southwest GA
Posts: 8,786
I wouldn't think side bags would deploy at 10 mph. That's a lot of damage but I'd guess a good bit of it came during the "pushed us to the side of the road, maybe another 7 feet" phase.

I'm guessing the Hummer driver had no sense of what was going on around her... idiot!
__________________
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Vitesse Throttle Controller, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #24
fcatch76
 
fcatch76's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGuy View Post
I'd refrain from posting in case
lawyers get involved. Best wishes!
I am not sue happy and just want to know if the bags should have deployed. The story is not being exaggerated or embellished. I will talk to Chevy about it but in the long run I still feel proud to own this car and feel it was built like a tank. I drove my car home, the hummer had to be towed by a flat bed. That's gotta say something for the car....now I just hope it can be fixed...I don't want a different car, I want MY car.


And yes, the Windows were down, but the collision caused the glass to get through the door and onto the kids. Sunroof was open, did not shatter.
__________________

2012 2LT/RS AGM- Injen CAI- MRT v2.0- Elite catch can- VMax PTB- ACS T5 splitter,rockers, rear panels and
T2/s ports- Strut brace- Oracle side markers- JDP DRL Harness and ACS Eagle T2 leds-5% tint-Decepticon theme
fcatch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
pmandeep
 
Drives: 2013 VR 2LT/RS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 264
Glad to hear that you and your kids are okay, and hopefully your wife will be back to okay and healed up. Take care of your family and keep us posted with the repairs on the car.
__________________
2013 Victory Red 2LT/RS
"I don't break rules. I just bend'em - a lot!" -Sideswipe
pmandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #26
H8S FORD
Head Ford Harasser
 
Drives: '10 IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fair Oaks, Ca
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatch76 View Post
I am not sue happy and just want to know if the bags should have deployed. The story is not being exaggerated or embellished. I will talk to Chevy about it but in the long run I still feel proud to own this car and feel it was built like a tank.
H8S FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #27
fcatch76
 
fcatch76's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 65
Thx again everyone..nice to have so many caring members.
__________________

2012 2LT/RS AGM- Injen CAI- MRT v2.0- Elite catch can- VMax PTB- ACS T5 splitter,rockers, rear panels and
T2/s ports- Strut brace- Oracle side markers- JDP DRL Harness and ACS Eagle T2 leds-5% tint-Decepticon theme
fcatch76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #28
gajagfan


 
gajagfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 2,988
My first thought with any accident is that I hope all are OK. It sounds like you folks, and the other driver, are going to be alright, and that is the only real thing that matters. The car looks terrible right now, but we know they can fix it. As far as the air bags, and whether they should have deployed or not, I would want to find out, but I think there is one thing we as owners need to keep in mind. From what I understand, these bodies are aluminum. If this is the case, I think damage is going to look much worse, and accidents that look like bags should have gone off may not. If this is not the case, maybe someone can set me straight!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #29
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
My first thought with any accident is that I hope all are OK. It sounds like you folks, and the other driver, are going to be alright, and that is the only real thing that matters. The car looks terrible right now, but we know they can fix it. As far as the air bags, and whether they should have deployed or not, I would want to find out, but I think there is one thing we as owners need to keep in mind. From what I understand, these bodies are aluminum. If this is the case, I think damage is going to look much worse, and accidents that look like bags should have gone off may not. If this is not the case, maybe someone can set me straight!
I think I've seen more frontal impacts where it was surprising that the air-bags didn't go off....Apparently not all of those crashes met the criteria to deploy, either...

....Still, it does make you wonder....Air-bags, imo, are a supplemental and last resort for a serious crash...lower speeds, front or side, wear your seat-belts. They prevent injury more than air-bags...
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #30
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,688
Please read this again from the NHTSA on side air bag deployment:

Side airbags: Because of the small space between an occupant and the side of the vehicle, side airbags must deploy very quickly to cushion occupants from intruding vehicles or objects. Some airbags typically deploy within the first 10-20 milliseconds of a side crash. "Must deploy" thresholds can be as low as 8 mph for narrow object crashes (e.g., trees and poles) and 18 mph for the more distributed side crashes (vehicle-to-vehicle crashes). Several auto manufacturers deploy the side airbags in frontal crashes to help control occupant movement during the rebound phase of a crash.

According to the criteria here the impact would not have caused the side airbag to deploy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
My first thought with any accident is that I hope all are OK. It sounds like you folks, and the other driver, are going to be alright, and that is the only real thing that matters. The car looks terrible right now, but we know they can fix it. As far as the air bags, and whether they should have deployed or not, I would want to find out, but I think there is one thing we as owners need to keep in mind. From what I understand, these bodies are aluminum. If this is the case, I think damage is going to look much worse, and accidents that look like bags should have gone off may not. If this is not the case, maybe someone can set me straight!
Our cars are not aluminum, just the hood is aluminum. The body is still steel.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #31
Est.July.4.1776
The pride of the CN
 
Est.July.4.1776's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS M6 & '70 Chevelle SS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Genesee County, Michigan
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8S FORD View Post


This is what's wrong with this country- this individual had no information about the incident yet; no direction or speed of travel, angle of impact, etc. The OP posted this after! However, he automatically jumps to the conclusion of sue! If you want to know why we can't have t-tops on our Camaros, it's because people like this would sue if the side curtains did in fact go off and cause the tops to break and send glass on the occupants. Screwed either way- sue, sue, sue! Check the facts on the operation of the equipment and the circumstances of the incident before dragging a company's name through the mud. People like you my friend have ruined many things in life for the rest of us.

Off my soap box now...

To the OP, hope your family is okay! I gave up my C6 for my SS so that I could take my newborn son to child care (here in Commiefornia, it is illegal to place any child in a carseat, in the front seat of a vehicle, regardless of whether that vehicle has a backseat or not), so this is a little alarming. God bless and good luck!

Dave
Actually I'm pretty sure he said "May" have grounds for a lawsuit, not "SUE THE MOTHER F'ERS," and secondly, if the safety equipment doesn't perform when it should, yet GM's explanation on why side impact airbags deploy during aggressive driving is that the car's computer has only milliseconds to determine whether to deploy or not... definitely seems hokey to me... I'd say what's more so wrong with this country is irrational people jumping to emotion based assertions...

OP, hope your wife comes out of this with no lasting effects, and I hope you find the answers you need, be it in the courtroom or not.
__________________
"I've been working on the railroad, all mother f###ing day." ...and yeah, we hauled your Camaro.

Class 1 Freight Rail Conductor - Master Mason - NRA Life Member - Tennessee Squire - Firefighter I & II Certified

My other ride has 4,400+hp and corners like it's on rails... because it is.
Est.July.4.1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #32
gajagfan


 
gajagfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Please read this again from the NHTSA on side air bag deployment:

Side airbags: Because of the small space between an occupant and the side of the vehicle, side airbags must deploy very quickly to cushion occupants from intruding vehicles or objects. Some airbags typically deploy within the first 10-20 milliseconds of a side crash. "Must deploy" thresholds can be as low as 8 mph for narrow object crashes (e.g., trees and poles) and 18 mph for the more distributed side crashes (vehicle-to-vehicle crashes). Several auto manufacturers deploy the side airbags in frontal crashes to help control occupant movement during the rebound phase of a crash.

According to the criteria here the impact would not have caused the side airbag to deploy.



Our cars are not aluminum, just the hood is aluminum. The body is still steel.
Thanks. I was not sure of that. I was believing the aluminum deal because I have a very small, hard to see, dent in the front passenger fender and assumed someone had bumped it coming out of the door that is near that area of the car when it is parked. Thanks for the info. Good to know!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #33
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Thanks. I was not sure of that. I was believing the aluminum deal because I have a very small, hard to see, dent in the front passenger fender and assumed someone had bumped it coming out of the door that is near that area of the car when it is parked. Thanks for the info. Good to know!
Well, although it's not aluminum, it's still an all time thin steel...Just don't confuse it with old Detroit iron...lol....
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #34
gajagfan


 
gajagfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Well, although it's not aluminum, it's still an all time thin steel...Just don't confuse it with old Detroit iron...lol....
Amen to that. I nearly dent the quarter panels when I wash it!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.