Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 08-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Planning to switch to either synthetic blend or full synthetic

I was going to do the next oil change myself and make the oil switch to either a blend or full syn. While searching through old posts about catch cans, I read a post on this forum or the other one that full synthetic might be bad for the lfx because its too slippery or something. It didn't make sense to me, but I thought I would ask. Has anyone ever heard that full synthetic might not be optimal for the lfx? How about the synthetic blend?
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Atbtech05

Drives: 2012 IBM Camaro LFX
The recommended blend is a semi synthetic, so I dont see why full synthetic would be bad.
Atbtech05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
There is no downside to using full synthetic motor oil as long as it meets the Dexos standard.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
You should at least be using synthetic blend now. If you are using regular conventional oil you are voiding your warranty.

With that said I made the switch to full synthetic, Mobil 1 to be exact since it comes in the SS Camaro and the Corvette straight from the factory. When I was pricing it in Walmart the blend wasn't much cheaper then the Mobil 1 so I figured why not go full synthetic. Here it is about $26 for 5 quarts and of course you need another quart or so.

As John B. said anything or any brand you use it needs to have the Dexos label on it.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
I've only had one oil change so far and it was done at a Checy dealership. I live in a pretty backcountry part of PA; let's just say the townsfolk don't instill a lot of confidence. I'm concerned the dumb shop guy didn't use a blend. I'm dropping that oil ASAP.
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by skirush View Post
I've only had one oil change so far and it was done at a Checy dealership. I live in a pretty backcountry part of PA; let's just say the townsfolk don't instill a lot of confidence. I'm concerned the dumb shop guy didn't use a blend. I'm dropping that oil ASAP.
Hopefully since it was a Chevy dealership they should know it takes a blended oil, I think! Since they did it it really shouldn't void the warranty. If you still have the receipt of the work done it should say on there or ask them they should have it on record. If they didn't do it right I would have them change it free of charge if you trust them to do it again.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote