Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 07-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Germann

Drives: 2010 V6 Black Camaro
Mobil 1 Information

I hope I dont get myself in a bind for writing this. I work for mobil. I sit in on many meeting and recently had a very interesting conversation as lubes production was being discussed. A department head of the area which produces lubes said the actually life of oil such as mobil 1 is MUCH greater than the public is aware of. I said I chage mine between 3K and 4K miles and then asked how often he changed his. He said the oil will provide 50,000 miles before significant breakdown which would necessitate change. He said on his personal vehicle, he changes it at 25,000 just to be safe. WTF???!!! . I said are you serious??! He confirmed, once break-in has been achieved, no over heating has taken place, that the lab results were clear. He said he does a filter change every 5K (with a top off to make up what got lost in the filter) and oil at 25K. This is from the man that produces the product and has no sense of humor, so I have no reason to doubt what was said! Just passing it along as my $.02
Germann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
They wouldn't make any money if they advertised it like this..
Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
Flynnaz
Wicked Camaro

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to Flynnaz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnaz Send a message via Skype™ to Flynnaz
Thank you for the information.

Mods so far: Ported Throttle Body/Airiad CAI/ Elite Oil Catch Can/Clutch reservoir separation Mod/Subthump/Foot well Lighting/RBG LED behind Grill/LED under Polished Strut Tower Brace/Vinyl Gill Blackouts/Skip Shift Eliminator/DYI Mild to Wild/AAC Plasma DRL's with Plug n Play harness/Blue LED Dome light, white LED trunk and Licence plate light/tinted windows/blacked out side markers and tail lights/Headlight Armor/Clear Bra/splash guards/Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts/Plastidipped Bow Ties and rear Tail Light Bezels/Emblem Pros Black Camaro letters/diodedynamics lighted cup holder (SS)
Flynnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
Phenicks

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
WOW!!! That is just freaking crazy. I usually end up going 8K-10k before changing and thought I was pushing it. LOL shows what I know.
Phenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
cool, thanks for the info. Very true, if it was advertised as you say, then they wouldn't sell as much probably. Good to at least hear it from the horse's mouth...now I don't feel so bad leaving my Mobil 1 in for about 6K miles at a time.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I spoke with the Mobil 1 reps several times and was told that they get there oil changed for free and only change it every 15,000 and the filter gets changed at 7,500 miles. He even said that when the oil was drained at 15,000 there was no break down. The oil was the same at 15,000 as it was when it went in is what he said. He then told me to go by the cars manufacturer. I change mine every 5,000 and don't need a sticker to know when that is.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
Wow, I kick myself now for all those times I worried about going a few miles over. Thanks man!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
synthetics are bad ass arent they? one thing to keep in mind however, is that its not always how many miles are driven, but HOW the miles are driven. I run about 5k for oil changes in my pickup and the durango, but my 94Z still gets changed every 3k. but it also gets the piss driven out of it on a regular basis and has over 185k on the motor.

newer motors are built with tighter and tighter tolerances and run much more efficiently than yesteryear. add to that, the added volume of oil in newer cars (the SS runs like 8qts) helps extend oil life.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
hmm..not that I don't trust the OP, I just wonder how true that is...
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
I did I little search and found this study, it was way back in 2003 though.

Quote:
Mile 18,000 -- John Richardson, September 29, 2003.
Oil/Vehicle miles: 18,021 / 27,960
Oil added after sample: drained oil!

Well, it's done. At long last, we drained the oil. Considering that we've gone two and a half times longer than we thought we'd go, we're pretty impressed by Mobil 1's longevity. Our Dexsil TBN test resulted in a 6.0, comparing favorably to Blackstone's 6.5. But speaking of high TBNs, what happened to this oil? If it had posted these numbers at the last interval, we wouldn't have dumped it. This oil could have kept going based on the numbers we have now, but they sure weren't looking this good a thousand miles ago. Viscosity was dropping, TBN rising, and what's going on with the insolubles? Meanwhile, despite all these paper improvements, the engine still had higher oil pressure and wasn't running as smoothly as normal, so clearly not all was perfect with the oil.

Thanks to the help of reader Doug Hillary, we had the final sample analyzed by Mobil 1's laboratory. Their results matched Blackstone's analysis pretty well; we certainly didn't receive any surprises.

Honestly, this first phase of the study has probably raised as many questions as it has answered.

Presently, the Z28 is enjoying a relaxing flush fill of Amsoil "ASL" 5W30 synthetic oil, the same oil we will be using (with a refill of course) for the next phase of the study. We're going to begin the Amsoil test when the odometer turns 31,000 miles, which we currently anticipate to be early November.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s...il1.html#topup
Old 07-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Whatever... it's not the oil it's the crud that burns and get's into it.

A car that has had it's oil changed will always outlast old oil reguardless if it didn't break down or not.

And your warranty has an oil change interval period so you have to be able to demonstrate that the fluid was changed (paperwork) by a qualified tech (unless your dealer is cool with it).
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #12
bono83

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, 2010 1LT
I'm going to do my first oil change per the on board computer's recommendation and send a sample of it to a private lab for an independent analysis. I'll then adjust from there.
bono83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
HMMMM... I didn't think anyone worked for Mobil anymore. Used to be a great company until Exxon bought them...

Good info... I've always been a fan of Mobil 1... good enough for NASCAR is good enough for me.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
ozman2005

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
HMMMM... I didn't think anyone worked for Mobil anymore. Used to be a great company until Exxon bought them...
Yep, my mom worked for Mobil straight out of college for 21 years. As soon as Exxon bought them, she left within a year, said they treat their employees like crap. It is one of the most profitable oil companies though.
Delivered 7.7.09

2010 Mazda3
ozman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
oil

Does the manual say the oil has to be changed by a qualified tech or void warrany??? Hogwash, I wouldn't let them dipsticks touch my car!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #16
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Whatever... it's not the oil it's the crud that burns and get's into it.
A car that has had it's oil changed will always outlast old oil reguardless if it didn't break down or not. And your warranty has an oil change interval period so you have to be able to demonstrate that the fluid was changed (paperwork) by a qualified tech (unless your dealer is cool with it).

Isn't one of the benefits of synthetic oil is that it handles the contaminants better than conventional oil?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
Germann

Drives: 2010 V6 Black Camaro
Yes. The syn oil acts a lot different than conv oils. Conv oil would simply carry trash in it and as such grit, shavings etc would/could find the way to critical moving parts scarring the metal or worse. Syn oil suspends trash in it....think if it as encapsulating debris until it can be caught by the filter. MUCH cleaner.
Germann is offline   Reply With Quote