Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #26
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Yeah....just to interject...if you have to finance it, don't do it right now man. It's just a car.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #27
injector

Drives: LS3
I used to hate my centri ( d1sc) but now with methanol let me tell u that i will always get a centri... Mine is 830 rwhp and it is my dd car..also, centries are more easy on other parts

D1 or ecs kit.. Can not go wrong with either.. If i were u i would go with ecs kit for the 10 rib belt.. But still i think ati have a 10 rib setup for the camaro..
Dimond Piston, H Beam, Chromly Pushrods, livernois 1C cam & Spring kit, Fast Intake & NW 102 TB, Ported Heads, Alky Methanol kit, ID850, LPE Dual pumps,,Melling HV oil Pump. D1SC 10 PSI, Stage2 Air Intake,Magnaflow Axle back, Mcleod clutch, Pedders XA coilovers and sway bars, HD bushings, Hurst shifter, ACS bumber and hood ports.
injector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #28
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: 11 2SS/RS, Black/Inferno, L99 A6
Love my D1SC.

Do it right with a wastegate and Maggie guys will shut up.

Padre

The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #29
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
No offense but if you need to finance a supercharger you shouldn't get it. What happens if the engine should blow?
This.

Padre

D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #30
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBL View Post
Funny that a tvs 2300 car is the fastest street car on here.

Come on I don't think you really know what heat soak means. A tvs 2300 is not going to get heat soaked on the street.
quickest in the quarter probably. Fastest mph doubt it.

Anyway regarding the waiting for boost comment that everyone is responding to. It was a very legitimate statement since max boost isn't achieved until higher rpm on centrifugals. When daily driving it is something that is very noticeable, especially if you have ever driven a screw type car.

To the OP. I still feel that you made the right decision. Better potential for growth, and no heatsoak issues and when you are actually racing the "waiting for boost" thing doesn't exist because your in the powerband already. I'm also not saying it's a bad thing because it's not like a turbo where you feel it come in it just feels like a linear progression of power....almost like being N/A but with a lot more power. I know you will enjoy it!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #31
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
What is the hype?

I am not a troll. I am new at the supercharger thing. What is the attraction of this supercharger over the others? Does it make power sooner? Is it more efficient? Is the design inherently different and thus offering some special advantages? Size, weight, etc.

Is it easier or harder to fit under the hood? I looked at some pictures on some sellers sites and it wasn't clear.

Thanks

Jim
Jims Mongoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #32
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
I am not a troll. I am new at the supercharger thing. What is the attraction of this supercharger over the others? Does it make power sooner? Is it more efficient? Is the design inherently different and thus offering some special advantages? Size, weight, etc.

Is it easier or harder to fit under the hood? I looked at some pictures on some sellers sites and it wasn't clear.

Thanks

Jim
They both have their ups and downs. Some prefer twin screws and some like centrifugal. Screws make boost earlier and very suddenly, centrifugal do pretty much the exact opposite. centrifugal I suppose it less prone to heat soak and may in the end be able to make more horsepower. You just have to decide where, where and how you want your power and what you plan to do with your car.

2012 L99, whipple, Roto-Fab, Stainless Power headers, ZL1 fuel pump, cat delete.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #33
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
Love my D1SC.

Do it right with a wastegate and Maggie guys will shut up.

Padre
It'll take more that that....
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowenSS1 View Post
I thought that maggie car was jre shop car. Lol
It's been there since I got home from the camaro fest. Whenever that was. But its all mine.. It has 17k miles on it. The wife and I have even taken it on some 6hr, one way trips in the dead heat of summer.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #35
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post

Thanks

Jim
Go see Joe@CPR in Mesa and he can show you all the different things and steer you straight on forced induction, or swing by AGP and check out the shop car.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #36
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
It'll take more that that....
All it takes for me is several back-to-back passes, all within a tenth of each other, while they are still icing their manifolds waiting for their next run...

Padre

Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #37
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Great info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Go see Joe@CPR in Mesa and he can show you all the different things and steer you straight on forced induction, or swing by AGP and check out the shop car.

Thanks for everyones help. Unreal, I am familiar with the CPR shop so I will try them. Who or what is 'AGP'?

So the centrifugals make power later but get less heat soaked. I don't care about heat soak.
What struck me though is that the centrifugals make power later, someone said that. How much later? I mean on a dyno are we talking making power 500 rpm's later, 1000, what? Any comparisons.

Is that a stupid question?

Jim
Jims Mongoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #38
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
They build boost linearly, where a PD can hit 6psi at 3k and hold that to redline a centri maybe 3psi at 3k and go up to 6psi by 6k. Think of a flat line of boost vs one tilted up. Turbos are similar to PD where they make full boost around 2100rpm and hold that until redline.

Centri will make enough power down low to spin the tires with ease at any legal speed. What you get with a PD blower is the ability to spin the tires at 20% throttle instead of 50% like a centri car. In my experience a centri car is much easier to control tire spin. PD cars can be fun for doing burn outs and showing off how easy you can spin your tires.

CPR is cordes performance in Mesa. They have done all of the different blowers/kits and can steer you in the right direction. In fact if you want to meet there one day I'm sure joe can give you a spin in his PD (positive displacement, E.g. Maggie, whipple, lysolm) GTO and I'm more than happy to take you around in my centri powered car. Then you can go hitch a ride in the AGP twin turbo Camaro and quickly realize it is silly to go with the other two. You get the best of both with other advantages.

AGP turbo is a manufacturer in Tempe right off University. They manufacturer turbo systems for many different makes/models including the 2010+ Camaro. Being in the Phoenix are you get local support, same day warranty service (not that it is ever needed), etc so I would definitely look into their systems. Joe @ CPR is installing a bunch or AGP has a lot of local cars with them all making great power.