Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #18
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....
 
MikeSVX's Avatar
 
Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
his reasoning makes no sense. he says the ZL1 fit the Zl1 because it was like the 69' which is absolutely rediculous. the 1969 ZL1 was a stripped completely down drag race car. that's not at all what the current ZL1 is.
plus some people at GM seem to have the first gen Z/28 confused with the actual Trans Am race car.

Not sure why everyone keeps saying that. ZL1 was not a Camaro designation. ZL1 was an engine designation. It was also available in the Corvettes (although only 2 were ever built). It was however the most powerful engine available in a Camaro.

So, The current ZL1 Camaro is the most powerful Camaro. The LS7 puts out less power then the LSX in the ZL1. There for it fits.


This is off the net in an article about the ZL1.

"The ZL1 Engine was never intended to be put into a street legal production car. Chevrolet had developed the engine primarily for Can-Am racing and other track use under the hood of a Corvette. Featuring aluminum heads used on the also potent L88 iron block 427, the ZL1 also featured an entirely aluminum casting of the 427 engine block."

Here is a website about the ZL1 Corvette. http://www.corvettelegends.com/zl1.htm

Now, can we move on and stop bring this up? We've been talking about this since the ZL1 was released.
__________________
Support Search & Rescue.
Get Lost.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,598
If you go back to the 67'-69' Z/28's the new one fits the model perfectly. If you look at the 2Gen-4Gen it's not even close.

BTW a 1969 COPO ZL1 Camaro could be ordered with everything if someone wanted to.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
If you go back to the 67'-69' Z/28's the new one fits the model perfectly. If you look at the 2Gen-4Gen it's not even close.

BTW a 1969 COPO ZL1 Camaro could be ordered with everything if someone wanted to.
I didn't even know that. I guess I hadn't heard, read, or seen one ordered so equipped. That doesn't mean it didn't happen though!

__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,598
I must clarify, I don't think you could get it as a Vert'.

Most bought it as a drag car because the first sold were bought for that reason. Hence less add-ons. And drag racing was huge at the time.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
...revisionist history....sigh....
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #23
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
Count me as one who thought they got it backwards. Seems to me they could have sold a ton more ZL1's if they were called Z/28, and the ZL1 is a great car. But historically the ZL1 Camaro was stripped down 427 powered race car, which is what they are touting the new Z/28 as.

Lots of 69 RS/Z28 Camaro's with houndstooth interior and other luxury items, but only 1 ZL1 car with RS option in 69.
How can you say historically anything about the ZL1 powered COPOs when there were only 69 made for one model year?

The Z/28 was a car GM intended to build. The ZL1 powered COPOs were not.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #24
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
...agreed Hobbs, another step in misinformation about history, revisionist history. Perception is reality as they say. Don't let facts get in the way....that's the way it is today...
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #25
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic
 
f5journal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: aiken, sc
Posts: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...agreed Hobbs, another step in misinformation about history, revisionist history. Perception is reality as they say. Don't let facts get in the way....that's the way it is today...
Agree...however GM is partly to blame with their treatment of the Z-28 in later years. They sortof confused the younger crowd here.
__________________
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #26
silverds
2015 SS 6M
 
silverds's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 6M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 561
There's no bible or commandments that say a specific model car or name is restricted by any of its characteristics. The auto makers have the freedom to name their products however they choose, to sell the most of them.

The Chevrolet Malibu, Impala and Dodge Charger are now 4 door sedans and are well accepted as such, though originally they were all 2 Door coupes. 40 Years from now we may see a 4 door Camaro Z/28. Then we can all listen to the live feeds of arguments on Camaro10.com about what the Camaro Z/28 name really meant. I wonder which crowd will be considered confused then.

Our great, great grand children may be very happy to reminisce about out passion for the Z/28 when they buy their first Camaro Z/28 People Mover.

__________________
silverds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #27
Cpanthers85
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 457
Even if you want to argue that the "ZL1" was named improperly, what could they have named it? The IROC? The SS3? They already used 1LE.

The Z/28 is perfect. It's a high revving, high powered, track ready car. Sure, its not a 302, but still...it beats what they did in gens 2-4. My 79 Z28 has a 350 rated at 150hp. barf.

While we're at it, why did GM call it the Chevy SS? Ressurrect the Chevelle or Nova.
__________________
2011 2SS/RS L99
2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 AWD Replaced- 2009 Cobalt SS- SOLD!
1979 Z28

Mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, RotoFaB EForce CAI, American Thunder Catback Exhaust, PFADT Stage 1 Drag Kit + Front Sway Bar, GM Strut Tower Bar. ZL1 Fuel Pump. Nitto NT05R. RX Catch Can.LS9 Cam and Springs.LS3 Conversion.JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade.Edelbrock Eforce.60# Eforce Injectors.Extreme Racing Tune. 523/495

MY BUILD THREAD
Cpanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #28
sanjosebmx
 
sanjosebmx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ripon, CA
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
I'm not sure I understand the desire wax nostalgic about the Z28. (regardless of whether you want to play semantics with they hyphen or slash). The Z28 spent most of its history slapped on to the side of cars that were overweight and under powered. I don't care if there are two jet engines strapped to it and creates more g force than an f-16 I refuse to pay corvette money for a camaro. They should have left the track capabilities to the ZL1. Get a 1SS, stuff a 427 in it, add the 1LE suspension bits, and there you have it a Z28.

When I think of the z/28 I think of my friends '69.. 302, solid lift cam..dual 4bbl manifold (as delivered in the trunk)..4 speed..

You had to ride in one to know what I'm talking about..
__________________
sanjosebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #29
macalot
 
Drives: 1969 + 2015 Z/28s F250 SD
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh Area, Pa
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjosebmx View Post
When I think of the z/28 I think of my friends '69.. 302, solid lift cam..dual 4bbl manifold (as delivered in the trunk)..4 speed..

You had to ride in one to know what I'm talking about..
I still get "the feeling" every so often, however mine is a single 4bbl like most. In fact the original owner of my car put two 4's on it (aftermarket), but couldn't get it tuned just right and pulled them off.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #30
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Cross Rams not streetable? Holy...you mean 2-4s were too much for 302 cu. in.?? Hmmmmm...

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...ved-comparison
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #31
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 27,194
Al nailed it with this decision. The OP is used seeing the loaded Z28 and we have the Z/28 track car.

The most powerful car was always the ZL1 which we now have again. Two cars to choose from instead of one, and both true to form.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Agree...however GM is partly to blame with their treatment of the Z-28 in later years. They sortof confused the younger crowd here.
...I concur. It is confusing for someone coming into the market at a late stage to fully grasp and understand the lineage.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #33
batman53201
Account not blocked
 
batman53201's Avatar
 
Drives: The Batmobile
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 1,960
i wish i could afford one
__________________
batman53201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #34
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,857
...maybe we can? Speculation only exists so far....word is north of 56K.....
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.