Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Cool CONVERTER INFO..

Hey guys and gals,I was going to cam my L99 SS but at the moment the dollars to do it is too much, so I am thinking that my next decent bang for the buck would be a stall converter to make the car more fun to drive. I currently have a CAI, 1 7/8 LT's,,off road mids, Magnaflow truflow Xpipe and a Pypes axleback and a custom dyno tune for the mods to date and stock gears. I am not sure which converter to go with and what stall I should get. Any advice from you folks who are running a stall with stock gears would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Hey guys and gals,I was going to cam my L99 SS but at the moment the dollars to do it is too much, so I am thinking that my next decent bang for the buck would be a stall converter to make the car more fun to drive. I currently have a CAI, 1 7/8 LT's,,off road mids, Magnaflow truflow Xpipe and a Pypes axleback and a custom dyno tune for the mods to date and stock gears. I am not sure which converter to go with and what stall I should get. Any advice from you folks who are running a stall with stock gears would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Doing a lot of drag racing?

Future power plans?

Daily driver?
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
cipriank

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
I would also like more info.. here if anyone with experience could chime in

Mods: ADM race intake, ADM scoop w/ washer bottle, SLP long tube headers, SLP 25% UDP, SLP Loud Mouth 2 exhaust, Vmax TB, BER intake manifold,3.45 gears, MSD wires, SLP 160 t-stat, SLP Springs,
EFI live tune by Redline Motorsports
cipriank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

You guys need to provide more info on current setup, future setups and overall use of the car. You just don't grab a converter off the shelf.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #6
litle88
Account Suspended

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
You guys need to provide more info on current setup, future setups and overall use of the car. You just don't grab a converter off the shelf.
This?
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Camarojt

Drives: 2011camaro SS
What do you plan to do with your car? Drag race?

Are you just planning on adding a cam and staying NA? Or do you think you might add a supercharger later?
Camarojt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
What do you plan to do with your car? Drag race?

Are you just planning on adding a cam and staying NA? Or do you think you might add a supercharger later?
Do you hear the echo in here?

Hahaha!!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #9
Camarojt

Quote:
Do you hear the echo in here?

Hahaha!!
Hello ello ello ello! Lol

That's what happens when you read the title then scroll down to the bottom to respond.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
R-I-C-O-L-A
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #11
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
Guess he's busy.. I'm going to guess his response..

"I might get a supercharger one day if money allows. I DD the car. I don't really go to the track much, it's more for street fun!"
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by K32 Camaro View Post
Guess he's busy.. I'm going to guess his response..

"I might get a supercharger one day if money allows. I DD the car. I don't really go to the track much, it's more for street fun!"
Then you would need the new adjustable stall that you can dial in between 2500 and 6000 (for the days when you need a good launch). Trust me, a 6000 stall will be fun on the street!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Hello ello ello ello! Lol

That's what happens when you read the title then scroll down to the bottom to respond.
I think I end up doing the same thing 90% of the time. Or answering a v6 question thinking its for a v8.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Quote:
Then you would need the new adjustable stall that you can dial in between 2500 and 6000 (for the days when you need a good launch). Trust me, a 6000 stall will be fun on the street!
That would be sweet! 6k stall would rip my doors off! I'm just going to get a 3400 tripple disk from ted. I would have already ordered it but I bought a motorcycle for my wife instead.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Whoops, I guess I forgot some extra info,,,you guys are tough,,forgive me but I posted this late last night before I retired for the night..It is my daily driver and I listed all my mods except that is is lowered. I go to the track to dragrace about once a month as time allows and I am N/A at the moment. I plan on down the road to cam it and maybe a gear change to 3.91's..Oh and I am currently at 375rwhp...Thanks guys for waking me up..hahaha lol..
Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Quote:
Whoops, I guess I forgot some extra info,,,you guys are tough,,forgive me but I posted this late last night before I retired for the night..It is my daily driver and I listed all my mods except that is is lowered. I go to the track to dragrace about once a month as time allows and I am N/A at the moment. I plan on down the road to cam it and maybe a gear change to 3.91's..Oh and I am currently at 375rwhp...Thanks guys for waking me up..hahaha lol..
My guess was close enough.. haha. I would suggest the 3200 triple disk with lockup.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
white ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #7922
If you're not going to put a tire on it when you go to the track, don't bother with a converter.

2013 ZL1 #7922
ADM CAI, 90mm tb, 9.55 lower, LS9 cam, ID 1000s, SW 1 7/8" headers, ADM/Ron Davis hx
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #18
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Torque converters are one of those things that need to be spec'd out for your specific set up and how you use the car. The best bet is to call up the manufacturer and discuss it with one of their tech folks.

Torque Converter Basics
Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #19
litle88
Account Suspended

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Torque converters are one of those things that need to be spec'd out for your specific set up and how you use the car. The best bet is to call up the manufacturer and discuss it with one of their tech folks.

Torque Converter Basics
If I went TH400 with the cam in my sig, what size and stall speed would you recommend for me? Thanks
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
Camarojt

Quote:
I would get a Circle D 3400-3600 triple disc converter depending on what cam that you plan to do later.

But like Dan said earlier, getting a stall now and not getting some good Drag Radials is gonna piss you off. Your ET will suck at the track Bc you will not get traction with street tires.

Converter and DR's is one of the best 1 2 combos out there.

And only go 6000 converter is you have Billet I beam caps on your blinker fluid reservoir!! Otherwise instead of launching straight out, it will death roll like a bayou gator! Stickers and fuzzy dice also help prevent this. Pg 32 in the GM concept manual.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #21
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Torque converter should be one of your Last purchases in a build.

They are Very specific.

For example you buy a 3500 converter off the shelf Stick it behind a V6 and it might flash to 2K

Put it behind a Supercharged 427 and it might flash to 5000.

So Each should be built for your specific combination to achieve the desired results.

Don't get caught up in the Hype of Triple disc Converters they are too heavy and will Slow your ET and Throttle response.

Our Protorque Single disc converter are tested to 1100 Crank HP and Live quite well, we have not had a failure.

We build converters for your specific combo.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
Mydivorcegift
When is soon?

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

Don't get caught up in the Hype of Triple disc Converters they are too heavy and will Slow your ET and Throttle response.
Interesting considering the fastest H/C on here, by a lot, runs a triple disk...
Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #23
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Interesting considering the fastest H/C on here, by a lot, runs a triple disk...
Go back to single disc and improve on the record.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
Performance Parts
Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #24
Camarojt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Torque converter should be one of your Last purchases in a build.

They are Very specific.

For example you buy a 3500 converter off the shelf Stick it behind a V6 and it might flash to 2K

Put it behind a Supercharged 427 and it might flash to 5000.

So Each should be built for your specific combination to achieve the desired results.

Our Protorque Single disc converter are tested to 1100 Crank HP and Live quite well, we have not had a failure.

We build converters for your specific combo.

Ted.
This statement is only part true. Yes a torque converter will flash different depending on the amount of HP of an engine it's behind.

OP sounds like you already know what cam you want and it was asked earlier if you plan to go FI later and you said you wanna stay NA. So a converter is a great idea for you right now but you will need tires as well to hook.

Buying a torque converter last is only a good idea if you don't know the direction of your future plans. Cam, FI, etc...

It was by far one of the BEST mods to date that I've done. Killer ET's at the track and when I wanna hit it on the street, it delivers big time!!

As far as triple disc vs single disc, this is simply a very opinionated statement. It runs right up there with another vendor that claimed that a 2" header will lose power and torque on a NA motor vs 1 7/8 header. It's just someone giving props to what they sell.
Like Mydivorcegift pointed out, most of the FASTEST cars on the fast list run a triple Disc converter. The benefits are the ability to lock the converter at a desired rpm. You can't do that with a single disc.
Not to mention the circle D triple disc is built with Billet fronts and Billet pistons and the quality is second to none.

Call Chris at Circle D and he will take the time to explain to you the differences between their single and triple disc converter.
Don't just take the word of someone that only offers a single, then says that single discs are better.

Check the fast list in all categories.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #25
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Quote:
This statement is only part true. Yes a torque converter will flash different depending on the amount of HP of an engine it's behind.

OP sounds like you already know what cam you want and it was asked earlier if you plan to go FI later and you said you wanna stay NA. So a converter is a great idea for you right now but you will need tires as well to hook.

Buying a torque converter last is only a good idea if you don't know the direction of your future plans. Cam, FI, etc...

It was by far one of the BEST mods to date that I've done. Killer ET's at the track and when I wanna hit it on the street, it delivers big time!!

As far as triple disc vs single disc, this is simply a very opinionated statement. It runs right up there with another vendor that claimed that a 2" header will lose power and torque on a NA motor vs 1 7/8 header. It's just someone giving props to what they sell.
Like Mydivorcegift pointed out, most of the FASTEST cars on the fast list run a triple Disc converter. The benefits are the ability to lock the converter at a desired rpm. You can't do that with a single disc.
Not to mention the circle D triple disc is built with Billet fronts and Billet pistons and the quality is second to none.

Call Chris at Circle D and he will take the time to explain to you the differences between their single and triple disc converter.
Don't just take the word of someone that only offers a single, then says that single discs are better.

Check the fast list in all categories.
We also offer Triple disc converters, we use them on Diesels that make 1500 lb torque at 2500 RPM.

Everything has it's place, I don't make recommendations based on my inventory, I make them based on 35 Years of Drag Racing experience and 27 Year of Professional car building and what Works.

We lock all of our Single disc converters at WOT with over 1K HP without issue Why Carry the Extra Weight????

If a Single disc converter is built right and the tune is right What is the Point?

By the way I am the one who Proved a 2 inch header makes the most power on the LS3, case in point.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
Performance Parts