Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
Rich Gonz

Drives: 2010 2ss
Shorties vs Long Tubes revisited

I know the nail has been put in the coffin many times on this topic, but I wanted to share my own story on the matter.

First off, I don't want to knock the shorties/hi flow cat combination. They're very good for the purpose they serve whether it be wanting to avoid a tune or just small changes. I originally went with this because I didn't plan on doing a cam set up nor did I want to tune the car.

The reason I'm posting this is because I didn't find much on the forums of LTs vs shorties with a cam. Obviously we all know the shorties will perform worse, that's a given, but by how much.

Today I swapped over from the shorty build to catless 1 7/8 LTs. Along with a re-tune I picked up 35 HP to the wheels. To all those are stuck in the rut of whether or not to just shell out the extra bit for LTs, it's worth it. In fact you can certain brands fairly cheap especially if you run catless.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, lol
GPI SS2 VVT Cam + supporting goodies installed by Jerry @ Ideal Garage, BBK 1 7/8 Long Tubes catless/resonator and muffler delete, CircleD 3200 Stall, CAI air intake, Rx Catch Can, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Hotchkis 1 Inch Springs and Sways, Eagle Eye RS-Style headlights, TSW Nurburgring wheels, RPI Zl1 Splitter
Rich Gonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
matthew9440

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have 1 3/4 BBK longtubes with hi flo cats. The guys on the forum told me up and down to go with 1 7/8. I went the cheaper route and ended up still getting a ton of performance. I dyno'd at 418 RWHP with cai, long tubes, hi flo cats, dyno tune and axle back exhaust Those long tubes unlock a ton of power. I bought mine on autoanything.com and they even had a 20% off discount code and free shipping.

matthew9440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #3
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew9440 View Post
I have 1 3/4 BBK longtubes with hi flo cats. The guys on the forum told me up and down to go with 1 7/8. I went the cheaper route and ended up still getting a ton of performance. I dyno'd at 418 RWHP with cai, long tubes, hi flo cats, dyno tune and axle back exhaust Those long tubes unlock a ton of power. I bought mine on autoanything.com and they even had a 20% off discount code and free shipping.
They told you to go up to 1 7/8" because they limit future mods because they are restricting, not because they wouldn't generate more power.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
matthew9440

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC52 View Post
They told you to go up to 1 7/8" because they limit future mods because they are restricting, not because they wouldn't generate more power.
Yes, I know. I am still going to be ok. These headers are the sweetest deal on the market for headers IMO.

matthew9440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
Don't think you can beat Texas speed for 500 shipped. Offered both in 1 7/8" and 2"