Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 01-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #1
aZL1
Tracker

Drives: 2014 AGM M6 ZL1
New ZL1, Need Track Wrap

First post intro - Just picked up a 2014 Ashen Gray Metallic M6 ZL1 last month at a SoCal desert Chevy/Cadillac dealer. It was in their 20% MSRP discount inventory . I've put 1,200 mostly benign break-in miles on it in the 6 weeks since pickup, so after a few hundred miles more it should be a candidate to replace older Porsches for this year's track duty. Schedule is looking like Chuckwalla will be the first outing, followed by Fontana, then maybe Buttonwillow, Spring Mountain, Willow Springs, & Laguna Seca. Looking forward to experiencing some of the latest North America auto technology: US - engine, Mexico - transmission, and Canada - assembly, from what I've read.

I've seen and will perform the Chevy recommended track preparations, including the differential fluid change, but I will need paint protection from stones, rubber, small parts, etc. flung around at the track. So, I'm looking for recommendations on wrap material, SoCal installers, and extent of the wrap. Definitely looking to wrap the front bumper, front lights, mirrors, and side gills. I picked up a pair of the front wheel rock/splash guards, so I'm thinking maybe not wrapping the doors and front rocker panels. How about the engine hood? Is the windshield even a possibility?

Thanks for any and all recommendations.
aZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Congrats.

Welcome to the ZL1 crew.

I live in Yucaipa, if you ever want to go on a great canyon run let me know!

A few of us in the Inland Empire Camaro Club are hard core track guys. We have a topic listed here with our track schedule for 2015. Streets of Willow in a couple of weeks....

I bought my ZL1 used and it had the 3m wrap on the front already so I don't have any recommendations for you, sorry.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Reservoir kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 5% Under drive Pulley, Dash-Logic controller, 3m Clear Bra, ZL1 Mirror inserts, GM Interior Ambient lighting, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, Carbon Fiber Bow ties front & rear, ZL1 DRL lighting harness.

KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:00 PM   #3
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Trakktape. http://www.trakktape.com/index1.html
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:05 AM   #4
SocalZL1

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by aZL1 View Post
First post intro - Just picked up a 2014 Ashen Gray Metallic M6 ZL1 last month at a SoCal desert Chevy/Cadillac dealer. It was in their 20% MSRP discount inventory . I've put 1,200 mostly benign break-in miles on it in the 6 weeks since pickup, so after a few hundred miles more it should be a candidate to replace older Porsches for this year's track duty. Schedule is looking like Chuckwalla will be the first outing, followed by Fontana, then maybe Buttonwillow, Spring Mountain, Willow Springs, & Laguna Seca. Looking forward to experiencing some of the latest North America auto technology: US - engine, Mexico - transmission, and Canada - assembly, from what I've read.

I've seen and will perform the Chevy recommended track preparations, including the differential fluid change, but I will need paint protection from stones, rubber, small parts, etc. flung around at the track. So, I'm looking for recommendations on wrap material, SoCal installers, and extent of the wrap. Definitely looking to wrap the front bumper, front lights, mirrors, and side gills. I picked up a pair of the front wheel rock/splash guards, so I'm thinking maybe not wrapping the doors and front rocker panels. How about the engine hood? Is the windshield even a possibility?

Ultimate Shield in Orange. They do amazing work and stand by it. I went with xpel ultimate film. The areas I covered were full front bumper, headlights, drls, full hood, hood extractor, full fenders, mirrors, a-pillars, roof, full doors, rockers, gills, behind rear bumper, and luggage area.
Attached Images

SocalZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:31 AM   #5
aZL1
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Congrats.

Welcome to the ZL1 crew.

I live in Yucaipa, if you ever want to go on a great canyon run let me know!

A few of us in the Inland Empire Camaro Club are hard core track guys. We have a topic listed here with our track schedule for 2015. Streets of Willow in a couple of weeks....

I bought my ZL1 used and it had the 3m wrap on the front already so I don't have any recommendations for you, sorry.
KaBoom1701 Thanks for the welcome. I am interested in your canyon run. I'm in San Clemente and my "old-standby" canyon run, Ortega Hwy, is too crowded and boring after decades of fun. I purchased the ZL1 at Chevy/Cad of La Quinta, which took me near you on the I10 twice in the last 6 weeks. No IE trips planned in the near future, but I'll keep it in mind.

I checked your IE Camaro Club track schedule with Speed Ventures, and I will probably be at a few events after the SoWS date next weekend. A track friend of mine and fellow HPDE instructor from PCA works for Speed Ventures at most all their events, so I can look forward to a little friendly ZL1-Porsche rivalry in the near future. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
ZMEnow Tape looks good for short stints or specialty coverage on occasion. I'm after a more permanent solution, +5 years or more if possible. Thanks for the referral.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:44 AM   #6
aZL1
Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalZL1 View Post
Ultimate Shield in Orange. They do amazing work and stand by it. I went with xpel ultimate film. The areas I covered were full front bumper, headlights, drls, full hood, hood extractor, full fenders, mirrors, a-pillars, roof, full doors, rockers, gills, behind rear bumper, and luggage area.
SocalZL1, thanks for your referral and details on your wrap. I'll check them out. What was the approximate cost, if you don't mind saying?

Your white ZL1 looks awesome ... you know, white IS the fastest color. White is definitely one of the easiest colors to keep looking good. It has been my favorite for years, but chasing the 20% MSRP discount the last week of Dec 2014 limited me to the 1 color, AGM, in all of CA. I checked inventory at every dealer ...
Old 01-31-2015, 12:50 AM   #7
Aero_Sport_Concepts
KurtRobinson(slickrichic)

Drives: '15 1SS-RS/1LE (RRM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aZL1 View Post

I got the Xpel wrap on my 1LE. Place in Temecula did it. I did the front only and have tracked a few times now and its holding up great. No chips. Self heals itself. I also have OEM rock guards front and rear. Big help. No chips yet and I drive daily. Think the wrap was approx $450 for just the front
Performance Mods = RotoFab Cold Air Intake w/ AeroSportConcepts Cold Aero Intake Scoop, RideTech HQ Coil Overs, Solo High Flow Cat Mid Pipes, AeroSportConcepts Custom Splitter & Rocker & Wicker Aero Extensions, Goodridge SS Brake Lines, AeroSportConcepts Brake Aero Ducts, SLP Skip Shift Eliminator, JDP Clutch Reservoir Separator, Moroso Oil Seperator

Aero_Sport_Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #8
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
I hit a cone at 70 with the 3M clear bra on the front and the paint is fine. The clear bra is marked a little.