Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
jimitkr

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS With 2SS
2015 Camaro 2SS - Can i change only the rear tires?

Hello Friends,

As you will see in the thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474396

i wish to opt for all season tires on my 2015 Camaro. Current ones are the stock Pirellis on 2015 2SS. I really need my 2SS to hold tight in cold weathers since i drive it everyday.

I was wondering - since the car is RWD will it be fine to change the rear tires to Conti DSW 06's and leave the front tires as they are? I'm looking for greater traction on colder roads ...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=2SS

I have the budget to change all 4 tires if needed. Pros as well as cons are welcome
jimitkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimitkr View Post
Hello Friends,

As you will see in the thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474396

i wish to opt for all season tires on my 2015 Camaro. Current ones are the stock Pirellis on 2015 2SS. I really need my 2SS to hold tight in cold weathers since i drive it everyday.

I was wondering - since the car is RWD will it be fine to change the rear tires to Conti DSW 06's and leave the front tires as they are? I'm looking for greater traction on colder roads ...

I have the budget to change all 4 tires if needed. Pros as well as cons are welcome
no need to change the fronts.....

K@N CAI....Vmax ported throttlebody...JBA shorty headers...SOLO hi flow cats....JBA Powercables...Magnaflow competition exhaust.... Hurst shifter.....SPI dyno tuned...391 gears with 3200 Circle D stall converter.
rontammy0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Reichler

Drives: 2013 SS & 2005 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
no need to change the fronts.....
Huh??

So, leave summer-only tires on your steering wheels (front wheels), and put all-seasons with better cold grip on the rears?

That's idiotic at best.

You should change all 4 if you're going with a different compound. Summer-only tires aren't meant for driving below 40 degree temps or in snow at all, and driving on different compounds front to rear will cause all sorts of handing issues. Increased grip on your rear drive wheels isn't going to be overly beneficial when you start to lose front end steering and grip while braking.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Agree with Reichler, you need to swap out all four. On icy/slick roads you need better traction at the rear to minimize tire spin, you need better traction at the front for steering and better traction at all four for stopping/braking

Last edited by Welker2; 12-05-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
KJZ28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Hello Friends,

Dont use summer tires in the cold...ever.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=273

If your car will see snow then all weathers will be useless on this car. I bought a set of cheap winter rims with snow tires from Tire Rack. Now I can just swap the wheels back and forth myself. The rims will pay for themselves in 3ish years not having to pay for remounting and balancing twice a year.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
jimitkr

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS With 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
If your car will see snow then all weathers will be useless on this car. I bought a set of cheap winter rims with snow tires from Tire Rack. Now I can just swap the wheels back and forth myself. The rims will pay for themselves in 3ish years not having to pay for remounting and balancing twice a year.
Wait how do you do that? What about alignment and TPMS ?
jimitkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #7
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
I have the summer tires also but not a daily driver, for a daily driver I would change them all. I take it out all winter but in the cold you have to drive like its raining out. They will slip on you when you dont expect it. Its dangerous.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Mike J

Drives: 2015 Topless Btch RS
Under 40 f there is a great loss of traction wirh pzero. Leaving pzero on can be dangerous and the tires are not made to withstand cold weather..they may crack
Mike J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #9
KJZ28

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Alignment is not affected. I can sync the TPMS in my 2010 myself. They stopped mid 2011 I think.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
danman_s

Drives: 2009 Silverado 6.2L
Quote:
As said before, you have to change all 4 tires. The rears will get you moving, but the fronts will keep you from crashing. Tires & wheels are easy enough to do on your own, I only take my vehicles in for swaps when I'm too busy or my back is hurting too much, haha.

Alignment doesn't care about your wheels/tires, only the suspension geometry. Get an alignment when you see an odd wear pattern in either set of tires or any weird handling characteristics.

I just ignore the TPMS. It'll flash a warning on the dash but you can put a piece of electrical tape over that, hahaha.
danman_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichler View Post
Huh??

So, leave summer-only tires on your steering wheels (front wheels), and put all-seasons with better cold grip on the rears?

That's idiotic at best.

You should change all 4 if you're going with a different compound. Summer-only tires aren't meant for driving below 40 degree temps or in snow at all, and driving on different compounds front to rear will cause all sorts of handing issues. Increased grip on your rear drive wheels isn't going to be overly beneficial when you start to lose front end steering and grip while braking.
He said cold weather roads....where does it say winter ..snow and ice. Don't exaggerate driving in the cold. If he said im driving in snow ...ice then I would have said to change them all out. If your afraid to leave your front Pirellis on in "cold " weather then back to driving school for you bud. He doesnt have a location either.

K@N CAI....Vmax ported throttlebody...JBA shorty headers...SOLO hi flow cats....JBA Powercables...Magnaflow competition exhaust.... Hurst shifter.....SPI dyno tuned...391 gears with 3200 Circle D stall converter.

Last edited by rontammy0; 12-05-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #12
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
He said cold weather roads....where does it say winter ..snow and ice. Don't exaggerate driving in the cold. If he said im driving in snow ...ice then I would have said to change them all out. If your afraid to leave your frontvPirellis on in "cold " weather then back to driving school for you bud. He doesnt have a location either.
According to the zip he listed, he's in Virginia
Old 12-05-2016, 02:53 PM   #13
rontammy0
Dr feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
According to the zip he listed, he's in Virginia
I think Virginias version of cold roads may be different them my version. ...whats the weather like there in feb?

Old 12-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #14
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
He said cold weather roads....where does it say winter ..snow and ice. Don't exaggerate driving in the cold. If he said im driving in snow ...ice then I would have said to change them all out. If your afraid to leave your front Pirellis on in "cold " weather then back to driving school for you bud. He doesnt have a location either.
I drive with my stock P-Zeros all year long even when it is cold. But where I live, cold means wear pants, not shorts.
JLSuperfly is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, rear, rwd, tires camaro rear continental