Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
AMMO Product Results

Hey guys.

I'm the epitome of a novice when it comes to detailing. When I caught the bug I picked up the needed buckets, foam gun etc.

When looking up tips and stuff, I came across AMMONYC and really like some of Larry's video (as they taught me the basics). Recently I picked up almost his entire line of products after just testing the Emergency Spit and the Auto Bathe.

I finally had the time and my ZL1 was in dire need of a wash after getting caught in a rain storm.

I didn't have time to detail in the interior but the following photos are the results of using the following:

AMMO Auto Bathe
AMMO Brute Wheel Soap
AMMO Tire Mud
AMMO Hydrate
Lambswool Wash Mitt
Foam Gun (forget where I got it)
Boars Hair brush
Lug Nut brush
Waffleboard Microfiber drying towel

Now for the pics:

As for the products:

Loved the Auto bathe...had to be careful when putting pressure since the lubricity was so good. One bad angle or leverage and you could easily slip and fall but that's a good thing. Opinion:

The Brute Wheel Soap didn't foam much but it did remove a very large volume of brake dust with little agitation. Opinion: Half thumb up

The Hydrate (used to help dry the car): did what it said it would. The water really hated whatever hydrophobic compounds are in this driving it into my drying towel. However in some spots where the car was mostly dry it left a residue that had to be removed with a light buff with a microfiber towel. Not a big deal but not as easily used as show on his "basic wash" video. Opinion: half thumb up

Tire Mud: Perfect consistency. Not solvent based and gave just enough of a matte finish to compliment the satin black wheels. More layers can be added after the first has time to cure for extra shineyness but I stopped at 1 layer. His tire mud applicator is also handy as it fits the palm of your hand very well. Holds product without need to constantly re-apply and keeps your hands far enough away to avoid accidental contact with the tire or the ground when you swoop back around.

I didn't have time to do the interior but I will be reviewing his interior products when I do. I will also be using his all purpose cleaner when I detail the engine bay.

Be gentle with the comments. This is my first "actually trying" "wash/detail"

-G
Old 08-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Nice review.

Auto bathe must be new? Did it replace foam?

I really liked the Foam soap.

I thought Hydrate was pure garbage.

Spit is a good spray wax.

Skin is a pain in the ass, but effective.

Those are the ones I've tried. Might have to try the tire mud stuff. If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in durability updates on that....
Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Larry K has great stuff. I use his soap for my two bucket wash all the time. I have the wheel soap and its ok on mildly dirty wheels not a full caked on brake dusted wheels..... For that I hit them with deep wheel cleaner.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: I drive the green one
Cool review. And pics
Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Looks awesome G, great job
Old 08-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Great review. Your Z looks awesome.

Welcome to the addiction.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Nice review.

Auto bathe must be new? Did it replace foam?

I really liked the Foam soap.

I thought Hydrate was pure garbage.

Spit is a good spray wax.

Skin is a pain in the ass, but effective.

Those are the ones I've tried. Might have to try the tire mud stuff. If you wouldn't mind, I'd be interested in durability updates on that....
My bad. Auto Bathe is the Foam. He must have changed the name. My first bottle of the stuff said "auto bathe" but that was over a year ago that I bought it.

I'll let you know how the tire mud holds up. So far (after 24 hours) it still looks like its a deep matte finish and that it's slightly wet but its dry to the touch.

I'm not really sure how to judge the Hydrate. Like I said, it seemed to work and enhance the water uptake of my towel but it did leave some streaks occasionally.