Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
newtocamaro
 
Drives: none
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9
Camaro V6 vs Pontiac G8 GT

Hi
I'm considering buying a camaro, but I'm yet to test drive one. Though I did test drive a few G8's a V6 and a V8. V6 G8 was terrible and I loved the GT's V8.
They have 250 and 361 HP respectively. Since the V6 camaro is right in the middle I wonder if it has enough power? How does it compare to G8 GT? Anyone?
newtocamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
SGOS252382


 
SGOS252382's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: S.W. Florida
Posts: 6,290
The V6 Camaro will fall in between those two.

The G8 GT is a high 13 sec car (on average). But with good driving and excellent track conditions it runs mid 13s. So its got a pretty good advantage over the V6 Camaro is a drag race.

The G8 GT is a great car for a family. Its fast and has lots of room (a very useable backseat).

But it G8 GT lacks the "wow factor" of the Camaro. Most people don't even notice a G8 GT cruising down the road. But it's a great car and I considered buying one at one time.
__________________
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
newtocamaro
 
Drives: none
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9
I see. What are the times for a camaro V6? Driving G8 V6 was like driving an egg bitter. You gun it down and the car doesn't do anything. I'm just wondering whoever drove a camaro v6. Do you feel it has just enough power or you wish it had more?
newtocamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer
 
SicSix6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bristow, VA
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocamaro View Post
I see. What are the times for a camaro V6? Driving G8 V6 was like driving an egg bitter. You gun it down and the car doesn't do anything. I'm just wondering whoever drove a camaro v6. Do you feel it has just enough power or you wish it had more?
do a search on it..... They do about 14.69s
__________________

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Georgie

 
Georgie's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro... soon
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,217
the G8 GT is a very solid car all around
__________________
2011 IOM or CGM 1SS
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
sjspat
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Corner Brook, NL
Posts: 69
I have the 1LT v6 6 spd and I found for me there is plenty of power plus I get the wow look to match. Too new yet to actually treat her hard.
sjspat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
Justcallme61
 
Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 214
I will always have a soft spot for G8's, but I would never buy a V6 one either. Since you said you didn't feel like the G8 V6 had nearly enough power, I doubt you will be satisfied with the Camaro V6 either (by no means slow, though). Just curious, but why is the SS out of the question? I'm not sure what G8 GT's cost exactly, but around here most are easily over 30k. I would think a base Camaro SS is around the same price...
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
Brokinarrow


 
Brokinarrow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indianola, IA
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
The V6 Camaro will fall in between those two.

The G8 GT is a high 13 sec car (on average). But with good driving and excellent track conditions it runs mid 13s. So its got a pretty good advantage over the V6 Camaro is a drag race.

The G8 GT is a great car for a family. Its fast and has lots of room (a very useable backseat).

But it G8 GT lacks the "wow factor" of the Camaro. Most people don't even notice a G8 GT cruising down the road. But it's a great car and I considered buying one at one time.
Now the G8 GXP on the other hand... you'll definitely notice it in your rear view before it dusts you I saw one of these sitting at a hotel in Kansas City, they are pretty nice looking. Too bad Pontiac went away, I'd definitely want one whenever I get around to starting a family. But who knows, maybe some eccentric group of millionaires will buy the brand... (plleeeeaaase?)
__________________
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Brokinarrow


 
Brokinarrow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indianola, IA
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcallme61 View Post
I will always have a soft spot for G8's, but I would never buy a V6 one either. Since you said you didn't feel like the G8 V6 had nearly enough power, I doubt you will be satisfied with the Camaro V6 either (by no means slow, though). Just curious, but why is the SS out of the question? I'm not sure what G8 GT's cost exactly, but around here most are easily over 30k. I would think a base Camaro SS is around the same price...
Welll to be fair, the G8 V6 only packs 256 HP and weighs in at 3885. So with the Camaro LS/LTs at 304 HP and weighing 100 lbs less at 3780, it will definitely feel a LOT better than the G8's V6. But you do make a good point about the G8 cost vs the Camaro SS. Though maybe he's more worried about insurance costs too
__________________
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,196
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Also remember that the G8 GT has over 100 ft-lbs more torque than the V6 Camaro's. Handling and ride should be similar between the two. The starting price for a G8 GT is over 30 000, but I've heard there are some pretty attractive incentives out there for it, that may be why the OP is comparing it to a V6 than an SS. Plus the GT has a spec sheet closer to the 2SS than the 1SS when it comes to features and options which would widen the price gap further, after all performance isn't always the #1 priority with cars.

Overall, I'd say get the GT if you need a family car, get the Camaro if its essentially only for yourself.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Personally id get the Camaro just based on the looks... but the GT has a nicer interior, more room, and more power.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
newtocamaro
 
Drives: none
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9
I can't afford to buy a new car right now so I'm gonna wait for the prices to drop a little. I'm a patient guy so I know it will take time with all the camaro hype. Right now it seems like Camaro LT/LS is cheaper than the G8 GT but Camaro SS is higher than the GT. I'm just afraid that V6 camaro won't have enough power. See, I don't like all the bells and whistles in a car. I love the raw power. Thats what an american muscle car used to be. I wish they would offer just a stripper V8 Camaro or something.
newtocamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!
 
Zeus's Avatar
 
Drives: to Chipotle daily
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Flo-Rida
Posts: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocamaro View Post
I can't afford to buy a new car right now so I'm gonna wait for the prices to drop a little. I'm a patient guy so I know it will take time with all the camaro hype. Right now it seems like Camaro LT/LS is cheaper than the G8 GT but Camaro SS is higher than the GT. I'm just afraid that V6 camaro won't have enough power. See, I don't like all the bells and whistles in a car. I love the raw power. Thats what an american muscle car used to be. I wish they would offer just a stripper V8 Camaro or something.
Than id say you might be better off waiting a while and getting an SS. Your not going to be wowed by the V6 Maro, and the G8 GT has good but not great acceleration. I was personally not impressed, seemed like a 6 second to 60 kind of car.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
PMD GTO
 
Drives: G8 GXP
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, N.C.
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Now the G8 GXP on the other hand... you'll definitely notice it in your rear view before it dusts you I saw one of these sitting at a hotel in Kansas City, they are pretty nice looking. Too bad Pontiac went away, I'd definitely want one whenever I get around to starting a family. But who knows, maybe some eccentric group of millionaires will buy the brand... (plleeeeaaase?)
Right now all of the G8's have rebates, unlike the Camaro most of which are marked up, including 1LTs. I saw a 1LT/RS for $7,000 over sticker. LOL, yeah ok. With the rebates some people are getting G8's for around $24-28,000, and yes, I'm referring to GTs.
PMD GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
Justcallme61
 
Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 214
Not to mention the 0% financing on G8's
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #16
GMtothecore
"That Guy"
 
GMtothecore's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
Posts: 2,402
G8 GT....get 'em while they're hot!
__________________
GMtothecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #17
faninc
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro RS in SIM
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 508
Do not think the G8 is a wow car...that pontiac trademark grill has to go and soon it will. Go CAMARO!
faninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:45 AM   #18
jrc1122

 
Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 1,358
sad day-- my beloved G8GT with a 6.0 361 HP 383 ft/lbs of torque is being compared to the base line V6 Camaro.

:(

Fastest recorded time I have found for the G8 GT is 13.37 (or maybe it was 13.34)

with catback, intake, and handheld tuner -tune- 12.9 (verified w/ slip and witnesses)

Not trying to stir up things, but V6 Camaro not close to a G8 GT.

For crying out loud is had a LS2 (with AFM). technically not an LS2- but very similiar.

It put more HP to the ground than the Camaro v6 makes at the flywheel?

But I would love to have the NEW Camaro 2SS/RS package.


disclaimer- with a high DA and crappy driving, I have seen people run 14s. But these are solid 13.6 cars or better in stock form (with average track conditions)
13.3-13.5 with ideal track conditions.

Please be gentle with me,,, don't shoot the messenger.
________
Honda Wiki specifications

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:58 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:46 AM   #19
jrc1122

 
Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 1,358
after rereading, I guess no one said they were that close-- sorry--
________
Ks125

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:59 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:55 AM   #20
ericsnow25
 
Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
sad day-- my beloved G8GT with a 6.0 361 HP 383 ft/lbs of torque is being compared to the base line V6 Camaro.

:(

Fastest recorded time I have found for the G8 GT is 13.37 (or maybe it was 13.34)

with catback, intake, and handheld tuner -tune- 12.9 (verified w/ slip and witnesses)

Not trying to stir up things, but V6 Camaro not close to a G8 GT.

For crying out loud is had a LS2 (with AFM). technically not an LS2- but very similiar.

It put more HP to the ground than the Camaro v6 makes at the flywheel?

But I would love to have the NEW Camaro 2SS/RS package.


disclaimer- with a high DA and crappy driving, I have seen people run 14s. But these are solid 13.6 cars or better in stock form (with average track conditions)
13.3-13.5 with ideal track conditions.

Please be gentle with me,,, don't shoot the messenger.
What handheld tuner? Did you dyno the car with those 3 mods?
ericsnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #21
jrc1122

 
Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 1,358
I believe it was superchips/ Cortex---

I am not the person-- I've never ran mine (just got it in May) too hot in TX to go run :(

the tuner- eliminates or reduces torque managment, in 25% increments, allows you to change shift points, remaps things based off of actual Air/Fuel ratio. blah blah blah....

I don't pretend to know much about these tuners. I for one have never tuned a car.

I am a frequent member @ G8board.com and (http://forum.grrrr8.net/).

that is where I am learning the numbers and info about my own car.
________
Yamaha mm6

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:59 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #22
jrc1122

 
Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 1,358
sorry for the link (if I broke the rule be lineant

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1641

you will have to decifer the code for mods (key is at the bottom of the chart) all times have been verified via either slip or video.
________
Mflb

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:59 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #23
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 22,196
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
sorry for the link (if I broke the rule be lineant

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1641

you will have to decifer the code for mods (key is at the bottom of the chart) all times have been verified via either slip or video.
what rule do you think you broke? I'll ban you if you want but ...

by the way, the is an edit feature in the lower right corner if you want to update a post.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
don't believe a thing you read about the next gen Camaro -- as history has proven time and time again:

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather
__________________

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #24
PMD GTO
 
Drives: G8 GXP
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, N.C.
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
sorry for the link (if I broke the rule be lineant

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=1641

you will have to decifer the code for mods (key is at the bottom of the chart) all times have been verified via either slip or video.
I don't think the mods over here care about Grrrr8.net links being posted, unlike the Nazi's over at G8board.com. Dede is just a whiney bitch.
PMD GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #25
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!
 
scrming's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 Second Brick
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: at my pulpit
Posts: 7,745
G8 with only a custom tune:

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 07:10 PM
SEMA Camaro: Yellow Camaro Concept Tran Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 45 09-01-2011 03:19 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM
GM to drop Pontiac ihc95 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 225 05-05-2009 11:29 PM
Jalopnik First Drive BruceF 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 27 03-21-2009 12:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.