Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Circle-D
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 08-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
yzark99
Photochopping your dreams

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Yzk Mud Flaps: I had originally bought stealth mud flaps from RPI, but they crumbled after 4 months. I made my own front flaps out of metal sheeting that I got from Lowe's for $3. I painted them flat black, with several coats of clear. They have lasted over a year in rainy Oregon without any problems.
Attached Images

yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
yzark99

RX Catch Can: I got this to catch the dirty oil vapors in the PCV system, before it got to my intake. GM wants us to do an expensive upper induction cleaning every 15,000 miles; for $300 or more a pop. So far, I have caught maybe 6 oz in 5,000 miles.
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 05-25-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added earl pic
Old 08-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #20
yzark99

RX Oil Breather Cap: This is to prevent blow-back from the stock PCV system into the intake at WOT. I am now planning to replace this with a smaller catch can, and re-connect the original feed.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
yzark99

Green Filter: While I was waiting for Vararam to stop screwing around and release their 2012 CAI, I read how they tested one of these on their flow bench and it beat Roto-Fab's intake on the V8. It was about $60, and I haven't felt a need to upgrade to a CAI since I installed it.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #22
yzark99

LED Footwell Lighting: I thought this was a cool idea. I haven't had this on a car since my '78 Cadillac. I wanted a certain color that none of the aftermarket suppliers had; plus the prices they wanted seemed silly. I decided to roll my own.

I wanted LEDs in a nice shade of purple, just to be different. I figured that they would work good with the gray carpeting that my car has. I got my LEDs from microtivity on Amazon, about $7 shipped for 25. They are the flat or "straw hat" versions - not the normal dome style that you see everywhere.

I wired them up in 4 clusters of 4 lights each. I soldered them into a cross shape, where they could be collapsed to fit through the switch hole. That way, I could solder to the switch instead of using taps like I usually do when I connect car wiring. I also soldered a resistor to each LED; they come with the LEDs from the supplier.

Each light is wired in parallel, so if one fails the rest will still light. I spread each cluster out wide after I got them through the hole, and wrapped electrical tape around the funky flowers. I then mounted them to the existing plastic mounts under the dash on each side.

8 lights per side is almost too much light, but I didn't know how much they would put out when I designed this. Each LED color is a different intensity, so you have to plan based on what you get. White is the brightest, and UV is the faintest.

My switch is a 3-way: on-off-on. I wired one lead to the dome light circuit in the BCM, and added a fuse just in case. The other connects to the green wire in the center console that goes to the rear power point. I mounted the switch in the center console where I had already mounted my amplifier turn-on switch.

The first picture shows the design that I came up with. The white wires at the top are for my door handle pull lighting.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #23
yzark99

VMax Ported Throttle Body: I don't have a picture of this, but there are plenty on C5. What this does is eliminate the hesitation when you are moving at slow speeds. Before I had this, I felt like I was going to get rear-ended a few times when I floored it and the car just sat there. Those days are over. Now the car moves like it should have from the factory. The best performance mod that I have done!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #24
yzark99

Solo Mach X-LFX J-Pipe Cat-Back Exhaust: This was my second mod after my catch can. I listened to all of the exhaust samples on C5, and also a bunch on YouTube. The Solo system sounded the best to me. There are a bunch of ricers around here with fart cans, and I wanted something better than that. Everyone who has heard it loves it.

Start-up: http://www.youtube.com/embed/nRl7yfIrNcE

Also more movies on post #36.

I like how my Camaro sounds like a sports car now, and not like the Honda it was from the factory. It is not a V8 sound, but it is great for a V6.

It makes me smile every time I start the engine.
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 08-10-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added more
Old 09-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #25
yzark99

ZL1 Front Swaybar & End Links: I don't have a picture of this. There is a freeway on-ramp near me that is a s-bend. Before I got this upgrade, the body roll on my car was so bad that I was scared to go over 30 MPH. I was just there tonight; at 55! It was just starting to feel like it used to at 30.

I was a little leery of this mod, as there really didn't seem to be anyone who had done it on a V6. I asked a bunch of questions on C5, and it looked like it could be done easily; so I went for it.

I ordered the parts through the dealer that I got my car from. They took about a month to get in. The dealer had to drill out the existing holes in the struts to mount these, but the size went from 10mm to 12mm; which is about 1/32" diameter which is nothing.

After the holes were drilled, it was discovered that some bozo had put a driver's side link in the passenger's side box at the factory. My car was then shimmed with my approval, as there wasn't anything that could be done after the hole was already enlarged.

I walk to work, so the shim wasn't as bad as it could have been; but it was a concern anyway. It took about 2 weeks to get a replacement part due to constraints from the factory. The new part was also in the wrong box!

The service manager escalated this to the Western GM Parts Manager, who had his people go through over 160 pairs of boxed end links at the distribution warehouse. They found all passenger end links were actually the driver's side links!

I hope some heads rolled over this. What I can tell you now is, if you order these parts today, you can be almost 100% sure that you will receive the correct parts in the boxes.

The replacement passenger side end link was air shipped to my dealer from back east, and it was installed 2 days after the fiasco was discovered in the warehouse.

Parts and labor for this install was about $200. I think I got a break on the labor thanks to the screw ups.

I recommend this upgrade. The ZL1 sway bar is a solid piece; while the V6 bar was hollow, and much skinnier. The car corners like it is on rails now. Totally different and unbelievable!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #26
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Coming along nicely
Vengeance Graphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #27
yzark99

Moroso Brake Fluid Reservoir Cover: The one part of the engine bay that has always looked unfinished, to me, is the brake fluid reservoir on the driver's rear side. This plastic tank is really noticeable. I ordered a Moroso aluminum cover for this from Summit Racing for $50 shipped; and it arrived in 2 days. I had it painted SIM by my dealer for $25. I think it came out great!
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 09-18-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Painted!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
yzark99

4-Pack Gauges: My last 3 cars all died because they had idiot lights instead of gauges. I have had dead batteries, dry radiators, and oil pump failures. These gauges give advance warnings for 2 of those problems; and the water temperature gauge comes standard with the car. I always look at them when I start the car; and also as I drive.

I got them for about $320 from GM Parts House. They installed in about half an hour; and the slowest part was transferring the 12V power point.
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 09-02-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
yzark99

Full-size Spare Tire: I wanted the donut spare when I ordered the car, but it was under constrainment (which means that GM was too lazy to make enough to meet demand). It was impossible to get one for months afterwards. They started showing up in the aftermarket after about a year, but they still want around $300 for the kit.

While it's true that I never used the donut in my last car for 13 years, I did have some flats near tire shops, so I could get the tire fixed without too much hassle. My previous car before that one did have some flats on the freeway, and out in the boonies, and having a spare meant that I got home that night (no AAA membership at the time).

I decided against the donut, as it is only rated for 55 MPH for 50 miles; which is ridiculous considering that it costs more than a real tire. I then wanted to make a full-size spare for an upcoming road trip. I heard that the GM tow was a long wait; and I was going to be way out there, which probably meant 4 or more hours for the tow truck.

I found a C5 member with LS wheels for sale. I must have a had a brain fart, because I thought I was getting tires and rims; so I ordered 2. No, just rims; and freaking dirty ones at that. I used a whole can of brake cleaner to get the dust off, then painted the one that I was going to use with black and then clear coat.

I got a tire from Simple Tire for $130 shipped, which is the same size as my 1LT uses. My work mounted and balanced it for free. I also picked up a jack, lug wrench, and other tools. I also got a mushroom plug kit from Amazon for $40. I figured that I could handle 4 normal flats; and 1 sidewall tear.

Long story short, I removed my subwoofer and amp rack for the trip, tied the spare in the trunk, and drove for 6 hours one-way. Over the next week, I was way out there; and on the way back I decided to take the really scenic route. I had no problems, and no flats.

Now I keep all tools in the spare well, and leave the spare at home, which I only take on those long trips. I figure that it is better to have it if you need it, then not carry one.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
yzark99

Illusion: I created this design in 1994. You either love it, or it gives you a headache.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #31
yzark99

Painted Fusebox Cover: I had this painted SIM by my dealer for $25. They even managed to paint the tiny hinge parts, and the lock. I think it looks awesome!
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 09-21-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #32
yzark99

Under hood pictures. The painted fusebox cover and the brake fluid reservoir cover now match the other SIM parts. They look so good, that I am considering having my dealer paint the engine cover also.
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 10-05-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Better lighting.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #33
yzark99

Seat Belt Extenders - 9" Length:

These are available free from any Chevy dealer. They extend the seat belts either 9" or 15", depending on the ones that you get. I ordered one for each seat. By using one, you can move the shoulder belt off of the side of your neck. By using two, you can make it to where the shoulder belt is almost useless. 3 extenders should prove interesting in "click it or ticket" areas.

These seem to be made for compact people with wider girths than me. 6'6" and 250 lbs. doesn't really need these.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #34
yzark99

Saikou Michi oil catch can - PCV clean side:

I bought one of these mini cans for the clean-side intake of the PCV system. It maintains the design of the OEM line, which allows for excess pressure in the PCV to be exhausted out through the intake. It was $71 shipped; plus hose and some other parts brought it up to $80 total.

I got it here: http://www.saikoumichi.com/micro_oil_catch_can_tank.htm

It is a little smaller than my dirty-side RX can, but it won't have to catch more than 10% of the total oil vapors in the system. I mounted it to the strut tower with an 8mm stainless steel bolt, and blue locktite.

It might look like it is hooked up backwards; but this is to condense oil vapors when the flow reverses towards the intake. I blew into both inputs of the can, and there are no check valves to prevent air flow in either direction.

If you were wondering about the quality of this can, there used to be 3 manufacturers that were rated the highest: Elite, RX, and Saikou Michi. I guess it's down to 2 now. If you order one of their bigger cans, the price goes up to what the other 2 are usually sold for.

Update: I have now moved this in front of the engine, to make room for my new strut tower bar.
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 01-10-2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: purty pix

Tags
cool, madness, mods, upgrades, yzark99