Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BORLA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
TFord
Camaro Fanatic
 
TFord's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,808
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Exclamation I REALLY, REALLY HATE TO DO THIS

well I really hate to put myself out there like this but,...my experiance thus far tells me that you are a great group of people. so here we go.

as some of you know, my time in the military is unfortunately coming to an end due to a serious injury/condition. So this summer I will become a disabled veteran. What does that mean? I have to find a way to market my skills dispite disability in a manner that will help me find a JOB:( . So to maximize networking to its fullest potential Id like to ask that anyone with any information that could be of my benefit feel free to let me know asap.

Just a little background information.

for the last 6 years Ive been a strategic ballistic nuclear missile technician for the united states navy. My duties involved everything from being a nuclear weapons security guard, to operating, maintaining, and repairing the weapons, electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic systems and support systems.

So If you know of a job(s) that could use my talents, if your hiring(FBODFATHER), have some knowledge, or tools at your disposal, even if you just know somebody that knows somebody. feel free

thanks!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #2
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???
 
NOODLESgoneWILD's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mill Creek, Washington
Posts: 408
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
TFORD...Don't worry about it...if you’re a Camaro fan...your family.

I work for Boeing in Quality Control on the 777, I've work in Aerospace for 20 years now and I see a serious shortage in qualify tech's. And a need for Aerospace Engineers.

So my first suggestion for you would be, to go (or back) to school and get your college education.

In the job market today if you want to make a good living, you to have a BS in something.

I don't know where you live, or plan on living...but study the work force / industry and plan accordingly....three’s a lot of great programs to help vet's, especially with further education. So take advantage and your time, and do it right!

Good luck!
__________________
Don't love me just for my FBod
NOODLESgoneWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
TFord
Camaro Fanatic
 
TFord's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,808
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLESgoneWILD View Post
TFORD...Don't worry about it...if you’re a Camaro fan...your family.

I work for Boeing in Quality Control on the 777, I've work in Aerospace for 20 years now and I see a serious shortage in qualify tech's. And a need for Aerospace Engineers.

So my first suggestion for you would be, to go (or back) to school and get your college education.

In the job market today if you want to make a good living, you to have a BS in something.

I don't know where you live, or plan on living...but study the work force / industry and plan accordingly....three’s a lot of great programs to help vet's, especially with further education. So take advantage and your time, and do it right!

Good luck!

Thanx Noodles, by the way Im sorry to hear about that AF contract. I dont know whats up with them spending that money overseas...not to mention the jobs. right now I live in Tacoma, I like WA so I might be staying here. Id love to go to school, and most of my credits for military training are in an engineering field. The problem is that I have a family to provide for and I dont know If thats possible being a fulltime student. with the medication that Im always on night classes are out of the question. Ill figure it out though!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???
 
NOODLESgoneWILD's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mill Creek, Washington
Posts: 408
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Thanks...But I think its not over yet, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the contract split in two and both company’s share the wealth.

Funny thing is I work for Northrop for 10 years on the B2 Stealth Bomber, so I’m stuck in the middle! Cuz I have friends working for them also.....

I also am working towards an Engineering Deg. With 4 kids and a wife of my own...I feel your pain. I’m going to do my best and someday Ill be done. But I can understand with the med's your on...it would be tough, but well worth the effort if you can pull it off.

Since you live in the Seattle area you should apply with Boeing, The timing is right as we are hiring tons of people of the street with little or no experience...Boeing is expect nearly 40% of their work force to retire in the next 5 to 7 years...so there over hiring to fill the void once the old timers retire...so now’s the time to get in.

Here’s the link to the employment website...Set-up a profile, enter your resume, and search for job openings, then apply for as many jobs as you think your qualified for!...Don't be shy!!! If you want my advice...apply for everything...all the can say in no, and your at no already, so you have nothing to lose you.

http://www.boeing.com/employment/

Good luck...let me know what happens!
__________________
Don't love me just for my FBod
NOODLESgoneWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
TFord
Camaro Fanatic
 
TFord's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,808
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
really appreciate the info noodles...timing is great Ive been working on my resume for a little while, and tomarrow it gonna get polished! I really hope that happens with the AF. all the best to you!

apparently theres talk in congress to revamp the GI bill so that it fully covers the actuall cost of four year college plus some for living expenses! if that happens
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???
 
NOODLESgoneWILD's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mill Creek, Washington
Posts: 408
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
really appreciate the info noodles...timing is great Ive been working on my resume for a little while, and tomarrow it gonna get polished! I really hope that happens with the AF. all the best to you!

apparently theres talk in congress to revamp the GI bill so that it fully covers the actuall cost of four year college plus some for living expenses! if that happens
No problem Bro...I support the troops...and I'd vote for the bill, if i could.

Cheers...
__________________
Don't love me just for my FBod
NOODLESgoneWILD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
well I really hate to put myself out there like this but,...my experiance thus far tells me that you are a great group of people. so here we go.

as some of you know, my time in the military is unfortunately coming to an end due to a serious injury/condition. So this summer I will become a disabled veteran. What does that mean? I have to find a way to market my skills dispite disability in a manner that will help me find a JOB:( . So to maximize networking to its fullest potential Id like to ask that anyone with any information that could be of my benefit feel free to let me know asap.

Just a little background information.

for the last 6 years Ive been a strategic ballistic nuclear missile technician for the united states navy. My duties involved everything from being a nuclear weapons security guard, to operating, maintaining, and repairing the weapons, electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic systems and support systems.

So If you know of a job(s) that could use my talents, if your hiring(FBODFATHER), have some knowledge, or tools at your disposal, even if you just know somebody that knows somebody. feel free

thanks!
With your experience I would stay close to government work. Either as a GS or a contractor. The biggest limiting factor is, are you willing to move to get a job...

For government positions (GS) create a profile at this site and set up a search that will email you new positions matched to your experience. www.usajobs.gov This is the only way for public sector to get a GS Job. Thousands of jobs on on this site.

If you want to go private sector then look at all the big Government contractors. SAIC, Ratheon, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, Booze Allen Hamilton (BAH), Northrop Grumman, ...
Basically everyone on this list. Top 25 GSA Contractors

And Since you are prior Navy You should look at this list also.Top 25 Navy Contractors A lot of these are on both lists.

Go to everyone of these sites and I promise, with your background, you will find jobs.

I work for SAIC and am quite certain that if you do a search on our web site for jobs in your field you will find something. You may not realize how much contractors contribute to the development of the stuff you've been using while in the Navy. I'm only saying this to show you that your expertise and experience to a contractor that does BM work, is extremely valuable. Your security clearance alone is worth about 50 G's to a company that doesn't have to pay to have you cleared on their own.

Speaking of clearance jobs, Register at this site also, Clearance Jobs.comThis is a Dice job search. And yes, register with monster also.

Be careful with Monster, There are a few scams where people email you with Finance jobs "moving money" from one account to another. In case you didn't already know.

Last thing. If you know a civilian professional, Not a GS and Not active duty Navy, that can help you with your resume, pester them until they help you. If not, and you don't feel comfortable writing your own resume, Pay to have a professional write it. Especially if you are going to post it online. I hate updateing my resume it's a pain in the ass but take an entire day to write it take your time and put everything you can think of in there every school, every command,every job, get the dates, get your supervisors, EVERYTHING. If you still have a copy of the long ass questionnaire you filled out for your clearance, that is a perfect place to start your resume. Then make it sound non-Navy and trim out what you don't need. Keep any resume you submit to two pages or less. If you can't afford to pay for a resume writer, and you don't have anyone to help. Send me your complete resume with everything in it and I'll chop it for you. My pleasure. Second last thing Practice your interviews. This is what will get you a job. I hate to admit it but I've hired people who turned out to be crappy employees, because the killed the interview. Now I fired them but they still got the job.

Holy CRAP!!! Sorry for the book. These are just the things I wish someone had told me when I got out. I hope this helps. I didn't mean to sound like you don't know how to do any of this. I only know that I didn't, and it was a steep learning curve to try and figure it out on my own. You may be well ahead of where I was when I got out.

Ah Hell, One more thing. Get a letter of recomendation from the Highest Ranking Officer you know. If you can get an Admiral then great. Other wise your CO will be good. My first resume looked like crap I got the interview based on my LOR and I got the job because I did well in the interview. That LOR has been invaluable..

Keep us posted. Best of luck.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
TFord
Camaro Fanatic
 
TFord's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,808
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
gtahvit I reall appreciate it, I work a lot with lockheed, GD, and Northrupp Grumman(spelling) Ive been doing a lot of the things you stated above, Ive also been told that networking is just as valuable too.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
TFord
Camaro Fanatic
 
TFord's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,808
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Hey Noodles...a military to civilian website says that avionics technician best matches a civilian job for me!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
gtahvit I reall appreciate it, I work a lot with lockheed, GD, and Northrupp Grumman(spelling) Ive been doing a lot of the things you stated above, Ive also been told that networking is just as valuable too.
Absolutely, I thought you getting the word out here was pretty a pretty smart move.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee
 
Drives: 1998 Camry
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 198
I have no idea if this is possible or not, but it's worth a shot. I remember when I was looking into a lot of nuclear physics programs and such that the medical field was in high demand for people that had some sort of experience with the ideas and such. An x-ray technician or something along those lines might work at least for a bit? Working in a hospital actually has a lot of advantages, including being able to set your own schedules to a point with hospitals open 24/7. Might be able to do that and get back to school, thats what I was thinking of doing myself.
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #12
blindingillusion
 
blindingillusion's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Morgantown WV
Posts: 196
Hmm. Wait till this AF Contract gets out of the fire (because I hear boeing is stirring shite about it) and just apply to the winner.
__________________
Ordered:
2010 Black 2SS/RS
-CGM Ralley Stripes
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels



Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #13
TFord
Camaro Fanatic
 
TFord's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Z28
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,808
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflmao View Post
I have no idea if this is possible or not, but it's worth a shot. I remember when I was looking into a lot of nuclear physics programs and such that the medical field was in high demand for people that had some sort of experience with the ideas and such. An x-ray technician or something along those lines might work at least for a bit? Working in a hospital actually has a lot of advantages, including being able to set your own schedules to a point with hospitals open 24/7. Might be able to do that and get back to school, thats what I was thinking of doing myself.

I really want to go to school also, but Ive got to take care of the family. depending on what I get for disability I may be able to pull school off. Heard good things about x-ray tech's. They get paid good, and Its not physically demanding, which is really a plus for someone with extensive nerve damage. Right now Im really trying to take advantage of this time to work on my resume. really appreciate the help everyone.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:08 AM   #14
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com
 
TAG UR IT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SA, Texas
Posts: 26,579
Sorry I haven't been able to give you any advice, my friend. I'm really at a loss for good advice when it comes to military backgrounds and new jobs, etc. Honestly, I don't have a whole lot of knowledge when it comes to military. But, like you said...something that is not really physically demanding. But, you already knew that....still at a loss.

Hospital sounds good...w/ schedules and all. Job security shouldn't be an issue there, right?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I hate Transformers!! SSRich Off-topic Discussions 49 10-14-2010 09:51 AM
Mustangs being "chick" cars, will the Camaro? GothamCamaro 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 154 11-13-2009 08:29 PM
Trans Am / Firebird Concept (pix) boxmonkeyracing General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 85 04-13-2008 08:17 PM
Does your spouse hate your musclecar? 2001ragtop General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 19 10-15-2007 06:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.