Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator
 
Southern Comfort's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1LE & 2010 ABM/LT/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,038
Added NPP Exhaust to 1LE Dyno Comparison

2013 1LE Standard then changed to NPP

Test conditions:
  • The same car and same dyno were used for both tests.
  • No air quality info available, but the first day was mild for late August in GA. The second day was a little warmer and more humid.
  • Stock Exhaust test 8/29 10:45 - 2 pulls
  • NPP Exhaust test 8/30 10:15 - 2 pulls
  • DynoJet 224X (Vengeance Racing, Cumming GA)
Notable items:
  • Got the NPPs from Ofer at 2SSRS@Gen5diy.
  • No vacuum lines connected to the NPP mufflers. They are spring loaded and stay wide open at all times.
  • Oil and filter changed between tests. (first oil change)
  • Approximately 30 minutes drive to the dyno.
  • Tested within 15 mins of arrival.
  • Less than 100 miles between dyno tests.
  • No fuse pulls or ECU resets within several weeks of this testing.

Six videos attempting to capture the sound differences:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...wwx0KROmJmXGIU




Blue is Standard Exh - Red is NPP Exh
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Southern Comfort; 09-27-2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: added youtube video
Southern Comfort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
gajagfan

 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 1,454
Thank you for doing this. Not having air quality hurts the analysis, and I am sure the heat and humidity of the second day had an effect, and we have no idea on barometric pressure, but I think it supports the my theory that the NPP system is worth little to nothing in terms of power. For those that like the noise, it may still be the best bang for the buck. Again thanks for the effort. Very interesting.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Bad70supreme


 
Bad70supreme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: plainfield, IL
Posts: 2,585
What I see is 10 more HP at peak revs, and a tade more tq! Even though peak numbers are the same, you can see that up top the engine is breathing and pulling a tad stronger! I would not say it does nothing for power when it clearly does... Add some mods and that top end with the NPP exhaust will start to show even more! So if you want to keep a bone stock car it's fine, but add standard boltons I would want the NPP as I think it would clearly perform better.
__________________
217/228 .565 cam, th400 swap with 3600 stall, headers.
11.7s @117
Vararam intake, GPI tune, new PB soon
Bring on the Bolton 5.0s please!
Bad70supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator
 
Southern Comfort's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1LE & 2010 ABM/LT/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
What I see is 10 more HP at peak revs, and a tade more tq! Even though peak numbers are the same, you can see that up top the engine is breathing and pulling a tad stronger! I would not say it does nothing for power when it clearly does... Add some mods and that top end with the NPP exhaust will start to show even more! So if you want to keep a bone stock car it's fine, but add standard boltons I would want the NPP as I think it would clearly perform better.

Ron at Vengeance pointed out the same and marked the graph accordingly.
__________________

2010 2SS Vortech (sold).... 2010 2LT ABM (sweet).... 2013 1LE 2SS (sold)... 2013 1LE possibly 44 of 44
Check out the Atlanta area A.C.E.5 events page
Southern Comfort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
gajagfan

 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
What I see is 10 more HP at peak revs, and a tade more tq! Even though peak numbers are the same, you can see that up top the engine is breathing and pulling a tad stronger! I would not say it does nothing for power when it clearly does... Add some mods and that top end with the NPP exhaust will start to show even more! So if you want to keep a bone stock car it's fine, but add standard boltons I would want the NPP as I think it would clearly perform better.
Making a bit more power past the shift point does not mean much to me. I am all for non-stock cars, but kind of like to see a bit more bang for the buck. I am not knocking anyone that went the NPP route, I just can not justify it. I do see your point if cam and head mods are made and shift points are going to be raised. It may make a difference at that point, but then I would think a complete exhaust system would be in order.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
dixonk
 
dixonk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,110
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Only real benefit I see is looks and weight.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator
 
Southern Comfort's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1LE & 2010 ABM/LT/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
Only real benefit I see is looks and weight.
I realize it's a matter of taste, but the change in sound is a significant benefit IMO
__________________

2010 2SS Vortech (sold).... 2010 2LT ABM (sweet).... 2013 1LE 2SS (sold)... 2013 1LE possibly 44 of 44
Check out the Atlanta area A.C.E.5 events page
Southern Comfort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,085
Could it benefit from a CAI system? Maybe if the engine breathed in better the benefit would be more manifest.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Bad70supreme


 
Bad70supreme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: plainfield, IL
Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Making a bit more power past the shift point does not mean much to me. I am all for non-stock cars, but kind of like to see a bit more bang for the buck. I am not knocking anyone that went the NPP route, I just can not justify it. I do see your point if cam and head mods are made and shift points are going to be raised. It may make a difference at that point, but then I would think a complete exhaust system would be in order.
No catback is a good bang for the buck on a stock car. It's nice for a factory upgrade and definetly sounds how it should! The stock SS exhaust Sucks, so if I were to buy a 1le I personally would have liked to have the NPP. I just built a 3" system for my car and it made a huge difference over the stock pipes I had, but my car has a cam.
__________________
217/228 .565 cam, th400 swap with 3600 stall, headers.
11.7s @117
Vararam intake, GPI tune, new PB soon
Bring on the Bolton 5.0s please!
Bad70supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
Anaconda
 
Anaconda's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 6-speed VR
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Somewhere nice and cool
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
I realize it's a matter of taste, but the change in sound is a significant benefit IMO
Did you get a chance to weigh it? Not sure if anyone has made a concrete difference in weight between the stock exhaust vs NPP. Just curious.
__________________
2013 Victory Red 1SS 6-speed w/ black stripes ordered 8/15/12
Delivered 10/2/2012!
NPP axle back exhaust, Black CAI intake with scoop and washer bottle relocation
Anaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
TPAJETSKI
 
TPAJETSKI's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 606
No way I could justify almost a grand for that. It may not sound as refined but changing mufflers or muffler delete seems like a better move from a financial standpoint. The twin pipes look cool. Just not 1K dollar cool.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
gajagfan

 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
No catback is a good bang for the buck on a stock car. It's nice for a factory upgrade and definetly sounds how it should! The stock SS exhaust Sucks, so if I were to buy a 1le I personally would have liked to have the NPP. I just built a 3" system for my car and it made a huge difference over the stock pipes I had, but my car has a cam.
When you say sucks, are you referring to performance with stock HP, performance with modified HP, or sound?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator
 
Southern Comfort's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1LE & 2010 ABM/LT/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPAJETSKI View Post
No way I could justify almost a grand for that. It may not sound as refined but changing mufflers or muffler delete seems like a better move from a financial standpoint. The twin pipes look cool. Just not 1K dollar cool.
Can you share your 1k dollar reference?
I have $600 in this not counting the oil change or dyno time.
__________________

2010 2SS Vortech (sold).... 2010 2LT ABM (sweet).... 2013 1LE 2SS (sold)... 2013 1LE possibly 44 of 44
Check out the Atlanta area A.C.E.5 events page
Southern Comfort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Thank you for doing this. Not having air quality hurts the analysis, and I am sure the heat and humidity of the second day had an effect, and we have no idea on barometric pressure, but I think it supports the my theory that the NPP system is worth little to nothing in terms of power. For those that like the noise, it may still be the best bang for the buck. Again thanks for the effort. Very interesting.
I guess that's better than what you have said in the past. Glad we can finally put this to rest. Every little bit counts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Make no istake, NPP frees up no horsepower. NONE! You folks need to stop it. NPP is the modern day equivelent to glass packs!
Seems like it adds 9 to me....
__________________
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
gajagfan

 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I guess that's better than what you have said in the past. Glad we can finally put this to rest. Every little bit counts...

Seems like it adds 9 to me....
Adding 9 hp past the peak HP and shift point is like pissing in a dark suit....no one really notices. I still feel that is you are not buying it for the sound, its not a good value at all. I have not changed my opinion, just maybe stated it in a more politically correct way! To each his own.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Adding 9 hp past the peak HP and shift point is like pissing in a dark suit....no one really notices. I still feel that is you are not buying it for the sound, its not a good value at all. I have not changed my opinion, just maybe stated it in a more politically correct way! To each his own.
Nobody expected it to add 60 HP.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #17
Bad70supreme


 
Bad70supreme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: plainfield, IL
Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
When you say sucks, are you referring to performance with stock HP, performance with modified HP, or sound?
When I say it sucks I mean it sucks! The sound sucks, there is none! It performs on a stock or lightly modded car fine but that's about it. What else is there to say about it.
__________________
217/228 .565 cam, th400 swap with 3600 stall, headers.
11.7s @117
Vararam intake, GPI tune, new PB soon
Bring on the Bolton 5.0s please!
Bad70supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator
 
Southern Comfort's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1LE & 2010 ABM/LT/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaconda View Post
Did you get a chance to weigh it? Not sure if anyone has made a concrete difference in weight between the stock exhaust vs NPP. Just curious.
I see 6 lbs total lighter than stock.
That is the parts I took off weigh 6 more than what I put in.
__________________

2010 2SS Vortech (sold).... 2010 2LT ABM (sweet).... 2013 1LE 2SS (sold)... 2013 1LE possibly 44 of 44
Check out the Atlanta area A.C.E.5 events page
Southern Comfort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #19
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,511
I purchased my NPP so I am able to control the noise level inside the cabin with a switch.....I also like the look of the 4 tips vs 2

-Matt
__________________

Last edited by Dropspeed; 09-04-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
gajagfan

 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brunswick, GA
Posts: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Nobody expected it to add 60 HP.
Never said they did. My point is HP past the point you should shift the car at for max performance is not of much value. It was not a comment on quantity.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
Bad70supreme


 
Bad70supreme's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: plainfield, IL
Posts: 2,585
That's not past the shift point, you don't shift at peak you shift a few hundred past it. So that would be valuable to have that extra 10hp at the wheels in my eyes, my car peaks at 6400 but likes to be shifted at 6700 into 3rd for best trap speed! Before my cam I ran it right up to the rev limiter for my best times.
__________________
217/228 .565 cam, th400 swap with 3600 stall, headers.
11.7s @117
Vararam intake, GPI tune, new PB soon
Bring on the Bolton 5.0s please!
Bad70supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #22
joelster
 
Drives: '94 Z28+ '14 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tonawanda, NY
Posts: 643
Changing the oil can have an effect on power output. You should have left it in there. Older oil will be slightly thinner and rob slightly less power versus fresh oil.
__________________
'94 Z28, 414" LT1, 10.15 at 133.65 N/A pump gas
'14 1LE, NPP, 12.991 at 109.40
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
jksynergy
 
jksynergy's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 694
Thanks OP for posting. Interesting findings and makes my decision to order NPP for our 1LE a little more challenging.
__________________
2011 Summit White Synergy Series Edition, the hot innocent woman named Ava that we show off around town, dressed in white complete with angel's wings.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass!
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #24
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator
 
Southern Comfort's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 1LE & 2010 ABM/LT/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
Changing the oil can have an effect on power output. You should have left it in there. Older oil will be slightly thinner and rob slightly less power versus fresh oil.
Yes Sir - I agree, and posted it in the spirit of full disclosure.
But I wouldn't expect factory oil with 1300 miles would be significantly different from fresh oil with 50 miles. Assuming it were thinner, I would expect the new oil run to be lower power across the board, maybe worse at higher RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
Thanks OP for posting. Interesting findings and makes my decision to order NPP for our 1LE a little more challenging.
Unless you change the manifolds and cats I wouldn't expect much of power difference within the normal operating ranges. I wanted the NPP style and was pleasantly surprised with the NPP sound.
__________________

2010 2SS Vortech (sold).... 2010 2LT ABM (sweet).... 2013 1LE 2SS (sold)... 2013 1LE possibly 44 of 44
Check out the Atlanta area A.C.E.5 events page
Southern Comfort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #25
WHAMMO

 
WHAMMO's Avatar
 
Drives: LS2 Fbody
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 903
I still dont understand the complains about the NPP; installed from factory, cheap, better looking, warranty, free flowing that can support huge HP, great sound and lighter. Show me what other catback adds for HP versus for the price. Go ahead, buy a damn 1300$ catback and stop complaining.

My NPP sounds wicked with high flow cats(2x louder!!). With headers, it would sound absolutly crazy and loud, but I would have the ability to control the sound. I mean its a win win.

Great post OP, congrats! The NPP does have a very unique sound and it will hold a great value, like the old SLP dual dual in the 4th Gen.
__________________
4th Gen SS/LS2 SB/LS3 heads/N20
WHAMMO is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
npp dyno

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.