Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 Summit White Camaro 2SS/RS
what do you guys do for driveway curbs

i have an issue my driveway curb is a sharp incline and clearance is already very close in the front with stock height. i am lowering 1.4" in front and 1.0 in rear soon and want to know anyones ideas to a solution. i was thinkin one of those metal plates people put in their gutters/curbs that kinda lays over the top of it to make it a more gradual incline. maybe a real thick board of wood? any ideas at all. also, what seems to be the first thing in front to scrap is a black plastic flap that hangs down under the bumper about an inch or so. does anyone know the purpose of this plastic? if i remove it will anything get damaged? thanks. my car is a 2014 2ss/rs
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Either back in, or cut it really sharp when you pull in so one of the front tires is the first thing to hit the curb.

My bumper scrapes if I pull straight in or out, I just get close and cut it hard so the front tire hits first instead of the bumper going over the curb first. Or I can back straight in no problem.
1LE rear sway bar
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS with Gun metal Gray Stripes
Dang, you must be in my head.....I'm having the same sort of problem and I was thinking along the same lines as you. Make a ramp of boards or one of those metal plates that they put in the road to cover potholes would be ideal.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #4
thegreatwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Either back in, or cut it really sharp when you pull in so one of the front tires is the first thing to hit the curb.

My bumper scrapes if I pull straight in or out, I just get close and cut it hard so the front tire hits first instead of the bumper going over the curb first. Or I can back straight in no problem.
These were my first 2 ideas if putting somethin down in the gutter is not possible. unfortunately the driveway might as well be a one car driveway cause its so fn skinny. when 2 cars are on it you can barely fit both cars on the actual driveway without goin onto the grass on the other side. and my roommates car will be home an on the driveway before i get home 90% of the time so approaching sideways an cutting last minute is very hard an very close. i also tried backing in and the bottom of the front bumper bottoms out in the gutter right before the front tires go up the curb. has anyone removed that black plastic flap hanging down from the bottom of the front? the flap is whats scraping, but when i lower my car it will be the actual body of the car thats scraping
Old 03-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I back into my driveway and take the curb at an angle. A friend of mine that ride motorcycles has Bridjit Curb Ramps on his driveway. They are really nice.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
JDP Tyler

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Angles are your friend; take the approach at about a 45* angle and you should have no problems.

If angles are not possible, a thick piece of steel creating a bridge over the gutter works well.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | Facebook | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
thegreatwhite

never heard of Bridjit Curb Ramps im gonna check it out. thanks for the input everyone
Old 03-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #8
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Angles are your friend; take the approach at about a 45* angle and you should have no problems.

If angles are not possible, a thick piece of steel creating a bridge over the gutter works well.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Where would one find such a piece of steel????
Old 03-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
JDP Tyler

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk-Ice View Post
Where would one find such a piece of steel????
Some sort of industrial supply store is where I'd check.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | Facebook | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:35 AM   #10
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Some sort of industrial supply store is where I'd check.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Hmmmm.....thanks!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Jump it like the Dukes of Hazzard!

Really as mentioned - angles are you best friend
www.bmrsuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
thegreatwhite

ya im using angles as much as i can but my driveway is narrow so if the other car is parked on the left or right side of the driveway it makes it tough to take it at an angle without hitting the back corner of the other car. its looking like an iron plate is my only option seeing i have this problem already before im lowering. i dont think i wanna pay to have like 12 feet of a curb re-paved. does anyone know what somethin like that would cost. thanks.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #13
LStick

Drives: 2014 1LS Blue Ray
Back in at an angle.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #14
thegreatwhite

those curb bridj things look good but there like over 300$.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
We have the same issue here, even harder with the kiddies 4th gens lowered.......slow and at an angle is how we do it.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
I back into my driveway and take the curb at an angle. A friend of mine that ride motorcycles has Bridjit Curb Ramps on his driveway. They are really nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatwhite View Post
never heard of Bridjit Curb Ramps im gonna check it out. thanks for the input everyone
Quote:
those curb bridj things look good but there like over 300$.
They are totally worth it! At my new place I had to get them because the curb to my driveway was awful and I would scrap every time if I tried. I did not know it was that big when I rented the house as I was deployed and had my parents handle everything to rent it under my name while I was deployed.

Long story short these things are perfect. I paid $390 shipped, three huge boxes, took about an hour for me to get them together flush. They state a two man job as each piece is 50lbs totaling 150lbs for the 3 piece part; you can continue to add pieces but I only have it on one side and it works. I love it!

In this photo the curb doesn't look as bad but this is the only photo I have on my computer the other angles are still on my camera. Will post tomorrow.

Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #17
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

My issue is a bit different.....mine is the slope of my driveway which isnt really that bad, however my main issue is that the main road has a bit of a hump in it which causes my splitter to scrape on entry and exit. I tried the angle thing, not working for me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas & Veritas View Post
They are totally worth it! At my new place I had to get them because the curb to my driveway was awful and I would scrap every time if I tried. I did not know it was that big when I rented the house as I was deployed and had my parents handle everything to rent it under my name while I was deployed.

Long story short these things are perfect. I paid $390 shipped, three huge boxes, took about an hour for me to get them together flush. They state a two man job as each piece is 50lbs totaling 150lbs for the 3 piece part; you can continue to add pieces but I only have it on one side and it works. I love it!

In this photo the curb doesn't look as bad but this is the only photo I have on my computer the other angles are still on my camera. Will post tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
thegreatwhite

i have been thinking about the bridjit because i was considering an 3 8ths inch thick iron plate cause i work for a company that buys bulk iron for repairing truck trailers. so i talked to the shop manager an he suggested buying a 4ft by 9ft plate and cutting 25 inch wide strips off it(thats how wide i need it) then welding each end to the other so i have a plate about 25 inches wide an 10ft long. but after all that he said the 4x9 plate was gonna cost like 500$ so i decided i need to look at other options. i am wondering what kind of shape this bridjit is on the curb side or the bottom side that is touching the curb. cause in those pics above it looks like your curb is a rounded shape, where im having this problem my curb is straight like the side of a triangle. I will try to get pics later.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #19
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
i have been thinking about the bridjit because i was considering an 3 8ths inch thick iron plate cause i work for a company that buys bulk iron for repairing truck trailers. so i talked to the shop manager an he suggested buying a 4ft by 9ft plate and cutting 25 inch wide strips off it(thats how wide i need it) then welding each end to the other so i have a plate about 25 inches wide an 10ft long. but after all that he said the 4x9 plate was gonna cost like 500$ so i decided i need to look at other options. i am wondering what kind of shape this bridjit is on the curb side or the bottom side that is touching the curb. cause in those pics above it looks like your curb is a rounded shape, where im having this problem my curb is straight like the side of a triangle. I will try to get pics later.
Tomorrow I can take a photo of the underside of it and post it up, it's dark here now
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #20
Irace16

Drives: 2010 1SS RS M6
1/2 inch plate the size you need will likely be more $ than the curb ramps. Plus some scrapper driving by would love to turn it in for cash
Old 03-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #21
Jeremy@AirLift

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I push a button and lift the car.
Jeremy@AirLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:05 AM   #22
thegreatwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy@AirLift View Post
I push a button and lift the car.
how much did that cost
Old 04-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #23
thegreatwhite

has anyone found a negative affect of removing the 1 inch black plastic splitter that hangs down under the front bumper.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #24
Splitter
Obsessed with Chicklets

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
has anyone found a negative affect of removing the 1 inch black plastic splitter that hangs down under the front bumper.
yes

you will create more lift at high speeds and cause the car to become more unstable at higher speeds.
Summer Wheels: Stock 20" Polished RS, Wrapped in P-Zeros
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #25
thegreatwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
yes

you will create more lift at high speeds and cause the car to become more unstable at higher speeds.
thats what i was thinking but how high of speeds are we talking. will this make a difference when im goin 85mph+ on the straights at a race track or just cruising at 75 on the freeway