Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #76
BMR Sales



 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan325 View Post
I got my car currently having all the parts I ordered from apex installed as we speak. (Rear Trailing Arms/Polyurethane Bushings, Rear Toe Rods/Polyurethane Bushings/Rear Suspension Bushing Kit/Rear Cradle Full Bushing Pro Version)

Hoping to see a big difference! Can't wait to get my baby back later this afternoon.
Congratulations!!! It will make a huge difference!!! I didn't see any sway bars in there????
__________________
Keith Kanyuh
5th Gen Camaro Suspension Specialist
keith@bmrsuspension.com
www.bmrsuspension.com
Like us on Facebook!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #77
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan325 View Post
I got my car currently having all the parts I ordered from apex installed as we speak. (Rear Trailing Arms/Polyurethane Bushings, Rear Toe Rods/Polyurethane Bushings/Rear Suspension Bushing Kit/Rear Cradle Full Bushing Pro Version)

Hoping to see a big difference! Can't wait to get my baby back later this afternoon.
Oh, you will. Thank you for your order and be sure to let us know what you think.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #78
NYYFan325
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 316
Sway bar is on the list too, I'm really just trying to squish wheel hop before I start adding more power. Thanks for all your help Chase (and Victoria too, I think that was here name?) Very helpful and easy buying experience.
__________________
NYYFan325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #79
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan325 View Post
Sway bar is on the list too, I'm really just trying to squish wheel hop before I start adding more power. Thanks for all your help Chase (and Victoria too, I think that was here name?) Very helpful and easy buying experience.
Sway bars alone help these cars a lot. You are very welcome and I will pass that along to Victoria as well.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 PM   #80
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed
 
SSMOKINHOT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the garage doing mods!!
Posts: 1,884
Very informative thread, I learned a lot! Thanks!
__________________
Proud to be COTW 12/19/11
My build thread -----> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140034
SSMOKINHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #81
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMOKINHOT View Post
Very informative thread, I learned a lot! Thanks!
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #82
Jims Mongoose
Jim
 
Jims Mongoose's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 513
I am a newbie please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Curing 5th Gen Camaro Wheel Hop




All the horsepower in the world will not make your car faster if it can not transfer that power to the pavement. 5th generation Camaro owners, especially those with cars that are extensively modified, are quickly learning this due to the dreaded “wheel hop”. Wheel hop is a violent and potentially damaging condition that typically occurs when the car is launched aggressively and feels like the rear tires were replaced with jack hammers. Very simply, it is just a rapid and repeated loss and recovery of traction.

When your car begins to accelerate various bushings and suspension/chassis components flex. Under normal driving conditions this flexing is negligible but when the car is launched aggressively the deflection causes significant toe changes which reduce the contact patch of the rear tires. This leads to a reduction in traction and momentary wheel slippage which alleviates the toe changes and allows the rear tires to regrip. The vicious circle then continues as the suddenly improved traction again results in flexing thus causing toe changes and leading to wheel slippage.


The Fix

Getting rid of wheel hop is pretty straightforward for most Camaro owners. By upgrading the components known to be responsible for the flexing with stronger/stiffer aftermarket units you will lock the rear suspension geometry in place and significantly improve grip and performance. The top three components you will want to focus on are:

1) Rear cradle bushings- The rear cradle is the structural member that the entire rear suspension and drivetrain are built on. It is essentially the foundation of the rear of your car. You can use polyurethane bushings to limit the movement of the rear cradle or go with a solid bushing to lock it in place. Solid is a scary word when it comes to suspension but with the rear cradle you can get away with it, even on daily driver applications.

2) Rear trailing arms- We have found that a good set of rear cradle bushings and rear trailing arms are many times all it takes to cure wheel hop for the average bolt on car. These aftermarket components are often lighter than the OEM units they replace and allow the rear suspension to respond more quickly and keep the rear tires in contact with the pavement, thus increasing traction. They are also stronger and replace the stock mushy rubber bushings with stiffer polyurethane units that reduce flexing under load. Ensure that the rear trailing arms you are looking at include the outer bushings. If not, order them separately.

3) Toe rods- While the rear trailing arms are being installed it is a great opportunity to also upgrade the toe rods. Toe rods are responsible for maintaining toes settings of the rear wheels. Replacing the stock stamped steel rods and mushy rubber bushings with a stronger unit with polyurethane bushings further reduce flexing and improve grip, launch stability, and braking performance.


Two other components you might also want to consider, especially if you like hitting the 1/4 mile, are:

1) Inner rear upper control arm bushings- When launching and shifting aggressively these bushings have a lot of leverage placed on them. Because of that the soft stock bushings flex severely permitting the rear spindles to counter rotate. By upgrading these bushings you will further decrease movement of the rear wheels and have more consistent and predictable load transmission to the rear tires.

2) Rear differential bushings- These units reduce movement of the differential contributing to an overall reduction in drivetrain deflection. This will get more horsepower to the pavement more quickly. You do have to be cautious when looking at rear differential bushings. The harder you go the more likely you are to see increased NVH (noise, vibration, harmonics). It is a good idea to consult with a professional on these.

In the excellent picture you provided could you label the areas that you are talking about.

Thanks
Trying to learn, I know to most its a stupid question.

Jim
__________________
Jim's Mongoose, 2013 1LE with Airraid CAI and PTB, 400RWHP on Mustang Dyno In Phoenix, AZ on a 75 degree day.
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #83
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
In the excellent picture you provided could you label the areas that you are talking about.

Thanks
Trying to learn, I know to most its a stupid question.

Jim
There are no stupid questions. Asking is how you learn and that was a great idea. I am going to add these to the opening post as well.



__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #84
Apex Paul

 
Apex Paul's Avatar
 
Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
could you label the areas that you are talking about.
Here you go Jim, I labeled that pic as well.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #85
sportyb24
Romanian Outlaw
 
sportyb24's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 , 14 Silverado Crew Cab
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas Baby
Posts: 1,070
What's all of it run?
__________________
[/SIGPIC]2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
sportyb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #86
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyb24 View Post
What's all of it run?
That can vary a lot depending on how far you go with it and which components you select. If you would like to discuss the specifics feel free to shoot me a PM with some details about your car and your goals of give us a call on Tuesday.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #87
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Bump for tc Bosnian.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #88
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 5,777
So, if we're not experiencing wheel hop would we still benefit from these parts? I have yet to feel any wheel hop as of yet. My drag radials seem to just hook and go.
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 AM   #89
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
So, if we're not experiencing wheel hop would we still benefit from these parts? I have yet to feel any wheel hop as of yet. My drag radials seem to just hook and go.
Absolutely. All of the upgrades discussed will improve traction and stability/control when launching, cornering, and braking.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #90
ZL575BumbleBee
 
ZL575BumbleBee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ZL575 Bumble Bee
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
So, if we're not experiencing wheel hop would we still benefit from these parts? I have yet to feel any wheel hop as of yet. My drag radials seem to just hook and go.
My car is night and day different with all of the bushing. I no longer have wheel hop and the car sits and goes when I hammer down. It also no longer feels like the rear end no longer feels loose when I corner hard.

This upgrade was the best to date so far.
__________________
ZL575BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #91
Spade Kreations
 
Spade Kreations's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 92
Those pictures are great. Well done.
Spade Kreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #92
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Kreations View Post
Those pictures are great. Well done.
Thanks.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #93
EDFHOBBIES
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BumbleBee
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 317
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Curing 5th Gen Camaro Wheel Hop



All the horsepower in the world will not make your car faster if it can not transfer that power to the pavement. 5th generation Camaro owners, especially those with cars that are extensively modified, are quickly learning this due to the dreaded “wheel hop”. Wheel hop is a violent and potentially damaging condition that typically occurs when the car is launched aggressively and feels like the rear tires were replaced with jack hammers. Very simply, it is just a rapid and repeated loss and recovery of traction.

When your car begins to accelerate various bushings and suspension/chassis components flex. Under normal driving conditions this flexing is negligible but when the car is launched aggressively the deflection causes significant toe changes which reduce the contact patch of the rear tires. This leads to a reduction in traction and momentary wheel slippage which alleviates the toe changes and allows the rear tires to regrip. The vicious circle then continues as the suddenly improved traction again results in flexing thus causing toe changes and leading to wheel slippage.


The Fix

Getting rid of wheel hop is pretty straightforward for most Camaro owners. By upgrading the components known to be responsible for the flexing with stronger/stiffer aftermarket units you will lock the rear suspension geometry in place and significantly improve grip and performance. The top three components you will want to focus on are:

1) Rear cradle bushings- The rear cradle is the structural member that the entire rear suspension and drivetrain are built on. It is essentially the foundation of the rear of your car. You can use polyurethane bushings to limit the movement of the rear cradle or go with a solid bushing to lock it in place. Solid is a scary word when it comes to suspension but with the rear cradle you can get away with it, even on daily driver applications.

2) Rear trailing arms- We have found that a good set of rear cradle bushings and rear trailing arms are many times all it takes to cure wheel hop for the average bolt on car. These aftermarket components are often lighter than the OEM units they replace and allow the rear suspension to respond more quickly and keep the rear tires in contact with the pavement, thus increasing traction. They are also stronger and replace the stock mushy rubber bushings with stiffer polyurethane units that reduce flexing under load. Ensure that the rear trailing arms you are looking at include the outer bushings. If not, order them separately.

3) Toe rods- While the rear trailing arms are being installed it is a great opportunity to also upgrade the toe rods. Toe rods are responsible for maintaining toes settings of the rear wheels. Replacing the stock stamped steel rods and mushy rubber bushings with a stronger unit with polyurethane bushings further reduce flexing and improve grip, launch stability, and braking performance.


Two other components you might also want to consider, especially if you like hitting the 1/4 mile, are:

1) Inner rear upper control arm bushings- When launching and shifting aggressively these bushings have a lot of leverage placed on them. Because of that the soft stock bushings flex severely permitting the rear spindles to counter rotate. By upgrading these bushings you will further decrease movement of the rear wheels and have more consistent and predictable load transmission to the rear tires.

2) Rear differential bushings- These units reduce movement of the differential contributing to an overall reduction in drivetrain deflection. This will get more horsepower to the pavement more quickly. You do have to be cautious when looking at rear differential bushings. The harder you go the more likely you are to see increased NVH (noise, vibration, harmonics). It is a good idea to consult with a professional on these.





I must say that the 2010 plus camaro is a lot better than last generation! From what I feel the stock 2010 was better than my 97 with all the parts you listed plus some!

Awesome job!
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #94
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I must say that the 2010 plus camaro is a lot better than last generation! From what I feel the stock 2010 was better than my 97 with all the parts you listed plus some!

Awesome job!
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #95
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...
 
DroptopZ's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 480
Chase, does anyone still sell the Pfadt rear trailing arms? I know you have the springs. Just curious as I was set on this for my next performance mod when they went out of business... I know BMR makes a great product too, but really like the look and weight benefits of the Pfadt.

Thanks!
__________________
'88 IROC-Z vert (14.9 @ 92.3) //
'10 2SS/RS LS3 - 423 RWHP, 418 RWTQ

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #96
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopZ View Post
Chase, does anyone still sell the Pfadt rear trailing arms? I know you have the springs. Just curious as I was set on this for my next performance mod when they went out of business... I know BMR makes a great product too, but really like the look and weight benefits of the Pfadt.

Thanks!
You may see them return soon.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #97
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...
 
DroptopZ's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Seattle
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
You may see them return soon.
Sweet! I'll save my pennies then.
__________________
'88 IROC-Z vert (14.9 @ 92.3) //
'10 2SS/RS LS3 - 423 RWHP, 418 RWTQ

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #98
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopZ View Post
Sweet! I'll save my pennies then.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
60 foot, apex motorsports, drag racing, traction, wheel hop

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.