Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
samtheman32

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
My experience at Discount Tire

So, today I went into discount tire to get a simple estimate for two new front tires.

I'm currently running Pirelli's 265/30ZR22 in front and 315/25ZR22 on the rear.
Rims are TSW Doningtons with a 22x9.5 in front and a 22x10.5 on the rear.

The guy comes out and inspects my car, and tells me the tires I have on there right now aren't for my car. He claimed they didn't support the weight of my vehicle? It seemed like he didn't want to just sell me the two front tires. He recommended that I went with a whole new pair of four Pirelli's with a 255/35ZR22 in front and a 305/30ZR22 in back for a grand total of $1940.

What do you all think? Does this guy know what he's talking about? I've seen multiple people on here running the same size front and rear tires as I am.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
The name of the shop says it all, he is discounting your set up. Move on.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
you discount tire guy didn't know his A$$ from a hole in the ground. your current fronts are rated at a max of 1605 lbs EACH and your rears are rated at a max of 1819 lbs EACH.

so a total of 5848 lbs load carrying capacity.....seeing as how your factory curb weight is 3860 lbs.....your current tire set up is only using 66% of its capacity......which is WAY inside the safety margin.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
samtheman32

Thanks for the input guys. Can't wait to go back there now.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
He's telling you that because a 245/45-20 Pirelli that is stock on the front Camaro is rated at 1929 lbs. Based on those specs, technically your tire is underated based on what GM provided from the factory.

And weight of the vehicle doesn't determine the load rating that tires should be. Weight shifts around as you drive, stop, etc. Saying your car weighs 3860 and the tires are only using 66% of the total capacity is not the proper way to size the tire. Try going 100 MPH and standing on the brakes, a lot more than half the weight of the car will shift to the front tires.

Just because someone does it on the Internet doesn't make it correct. The guy at DT is CYA because your tires are not rated for the load the manufacturer states. If he knowingly sells you a set of tires not rated for your car and you go out and have a blowout while you're hot rodding it, you'll probably sue his ass because he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground??

Now, will your tires blow out because they aren't at the right spec? Probably not unless you're out racing on them. My wife's cousin many decades ago was in a really bad accident because his performance car came with tires not rated for the speed the car was capable of. He was left messed up physically and mentally. His family sued and won. He is the reason that tires now come with speed ratings.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
samtheman32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
He's telling you that because a 245/45-20 Pirelli that is stock on the front Camaro is rated at 1929 lbs. Based on those specs, technically your tire is underated based on what GM provided from the factory.

And weight of the vehicle doesn't determine the load rating that tires should be. Weight shifts around as you drive, stop, etc. Saying your car weighs 3860 and the tires are only using 66% of the total capacity is not the proper way to size the tire. Try going 100 MPH and standing on the brakes, a lot more than half the weight of the car will shift to the front tires.

Just because someone does it on the Internet doesn't make it correct. The guy at DT is CYA because your tires are not rated for the load the manufacturer states. If he knowingly sells you a set of tires not rated for your car and you go out and have a blowout while you're hot rodding it, you'll probably sue his ass because he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground??

Now, will your tires blow out because they aren't at the right spec? Probably not unless you're out racing on them. My wife's cousin many decades ago was in a really bad accident because his performance car came with tires not rated for the speed the car was capable of. He was left messed up physically and mentally. His family sued and won. He is the reason that tires now come with speed ratings.
Now I understand. I was just simply looking to replace my two front tires though, I guess that's why he didn't want to sell them to me. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be going over 100 mph since I live in a pretty small city... The speed index for both of the tires I have on my car right now is 186 mph. Does that mean they can handle up to 186 mph? Sorry to hear about your wife's cousin.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Lawdog1911
ZL1 Dreamin

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 2SS (RIP)
A DT guy took out the air on my 24's which said 45-55 psi to what the door said at 26 psi. I ran them like that a few days and I ruined them for riding on them that low. They said they had to put what the door said.

Matte Black Jeep GC SRT8 20 inch wheels, SRT8 Sway Bars, Custom Hood, black Plasi-dip Custom Cross Road Runner Stripes and decals, Custom Rear Diffuser, Plasti-dip rear black out Panel. Halo Fog lights.

Please Help if you can Paypal: icanbe_reached@hotmail.com
Lawdog1911 is offline   Reply With Quote