Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Autos For Sale / Wanted

Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #1
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Selling my car.. am i getting scammed?

so im selling my car and looking to upgrade. my car is not paid off yet (i owe 15k) i have a buyer who wants to buy it right now. i had if for sale for 25k and he told me his bank would lend him 20k and he would pay me 5k in cash. anyways, he wants to have his bank transfer the money to my bank. he asked for my bank name, bank address, and the account so his bank can pay off the loan. i have already met the guy and he seemed pretty normal but 15 min does not leave me any room for me to judge. my questions are,

1)since i only owe 15k and his bank is going to lend him 20k, how does that work?

2)is this even legit to sell a car this way? should i tell him i want a cashiers check or nothing?

3) what is the proper way in my situation to sell a car privately

sorry if i sound really dumb as this is my 1st time selling something worth this much money

Last edited by SoCalThug; 09-09-2013 at 11:29 PM.
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
SoCalThug

bump
Old 09-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Never give your back account info out. That's a dead giveaway. Tell him to bring a back check with your 5 grabs. Even then go with him to cash it. Trust no strangers nowadays.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Cash or bank check. I would be double checking that bank check too!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
kold

Drives: 2011 LS White Camaro
if im correct, his bank should just cut you a check, I almost sold my car last year and that's how I was going to do it. you going to upgrade to a SS?
kold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Go to his bank with your info and let his bank do the transaction and give you 10k
Old 09-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
SoCalThug

Upgrading to an SS or a 14 base model silverado crew cab and putting a 12in lift on
Old 09-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
calirider

Drives: Chevrolets
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Go to his bank with your info and let his bank do the transaction and give you 10k
+1

Whatever you do go with them to their bank. But, giving out those pieces of information is not crazy, that is what you have to give to a bank to do a wife transfer. If he seemed normal when you meet him in person I would not worry about it. I know someone that had a counterfeit bank check that was so good the bank that it was counterfeited from cashed it and they got a knock on the door a week later by the FBI. That's why I always say to with them to their bank or if that really is not possible you can always call the bank and confirm the check is real before releasing the car. The crapy thing is if someone gets something like that over on you it's not even considered stolen its embezzled and you have to take them to civil court to get the car back.
calirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #9
theragtopguy
Lifetime Phillies Fan

Drives: Silver/Black '12 2LT 'Vert 6-speed
Personally, I would never give out that information.

Every time I have sold a car I have either gotten cash or a certified check. I absolutely would not do it any other way.

Sorry, I'm old school.

Ported TB, CAI induction, MRT V-2 Pipes
theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
calirider

Drives: Chevrolets
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragtopguy View Post
Personally, I would never give out that information.

Every time I have sold a car I have either gotten cash or a certified check. I absolutely would not do it any other way.

Sorry, I'm old school.
That much cash is a pain in the butt to deal with and a certified check can be counterfeited if your dealing with someone that's a legit thief.

I'm new school, haha.
calirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Have his bank issue you a check. Its a scam.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #12
brif

Drives: Black
His bank is probably concerned because you still owe money on it. You would have to have his bank issue a check in both your and the Lein holders name. The bank will cash it and take what you owe and give you the balance.
brif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
98GTcoupe

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Can never go wrong with a certified bank and hell sometimes the actual buyers bank wants to do a 3 way converstation with the member who is selling the car. Also some banks require the seller to bring the car to the Actual bank who is Financing the car and complete the transaction and cut you a check for your equity in the car. Thats how I sold my last car. Met buyer at bank, bank verified the VIN an me, then cut me a check for what i didnt owe on it an send the rest to my bank to pay off the loan, my bank sent the title to their bank. Done deal.

Sounds like a bad scammer you got there......
98GTcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
strych9
Gone Euro!

Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
A cashiers check is fine, but you need to be at his bank with him when he gets it. That way you'll know that it's authentic.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #15
CamaroMike13

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by calirider View Post
+1

Whatever you do go with them to their bank. But, giving out those pieces of information is not crazy, that is what you have to give to a bank to do a wife transfer.
Wife transfer! How do we get one of those?

Current mods: CAI intake, LED DRLs and harness, Heritage grill and SS emblems, 1LE wheel, Mild 2 Wild controller, Showstopper ghosted LED sidemarkers, Technostalgia tails, LED license plate, dome and trunk lights, JL XD700/5 amp, Subthump FARK and sub box, 10" Infinity sub with remote bass knob, JL Audio C2 650 front speakers, Bigworm Graphix gills, Lupe painted SW fog bezels and black tail bezels, rear blackout panel.
CamaroMike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
you guys do realise your bank account number and routing number along with name and adress is on every check you write.

A wire tranfer is just quicker than waiting for acertified check to be proccesed, mailed and clear.

Best avdise though....do what your comfortable with, its a lot of money

a wire tranfer is coming and the info he requested is typical. if he started askign for SSN or DOB you woudl have a real reason to worry. I would not hand title over until funds cleared.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #17
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
A cashiers check is fine, but you need to be at his bank with him when he gets it. That way you'll know that it's authentic.
You'll knwo it authentic when the funds clear. Prior to that dont hand over title
Old 09-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
strych9
Gone Euro!

Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
You'll knwo it authentic when the funds clear. Prior to that dont hand over title
The title-holding bank can verify the cashier's check on the spot. I've done this myself. We go to buyer's bank, he draws a cashiers check in my presence. We go to my bank, cashiers check is verified, funds are exchanged, title released.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #19
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
Go to your bank, the one that holds your title, and ask them. Don't take financial advice from a bunch of people on a forum...
Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #20
tyler731

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
i sold a car to a guy in canada and he needed basically the same info, my bank said with just my account number he couldnt do anything but add money to it, after he transferred them money i emptied my account (for a precaution). once i had the cash he got the title
tyler731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: un Camaro con motor alterado.
is he from nigeria? If so, I think I met the guy before...

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
is he from nigeria? If so, I think I met the guy before...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
Well technically this is how it should work. You have a loan with a loan account number. You do not give him your bank account information. How it works is your bank has a general ledger account. His bank will wire what you owe to this account with a payoff note to your loan account number. The bank then releases the title to YOU.

He should then come with a bank certified check, cashiers check, or cash for the balance. Sign a bill of sale stating that the car is sold as is. Sign title take your cash and move on.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote