Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
hockeylover86
 
Drives: Buick
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 70
If this was 1987 I bet all you guys would be ripping the GN/GNX since it didn't handle like a Corvette...

The current batch of Camaro guys sound like the Mustang guys from 98-02 when the LS1 was killing the 4.6...

Bottom line is this is the best time to be a car guy....
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #27
URBAN LEGEND

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 BMW M5/13 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 993
The results are in. ZL1 wins.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
The results are in. ZL1 wins.
Again?
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #29
URBAN LEGEND

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 BMW M5/13 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Again?
GT 500 brakes suck once again on the track. ZL1 could brake deeper into turns before turn in.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #30
razorz28
 
razorz28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Rubicon, 2014 Camaro Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Abbotsford B.C. Canada
Posts: 426
When the magazine ads first came out most of us didn't have our cars yet and no one had seen them on the streets. Now that production has been rolling, the article will mean more to many IMO.
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
GT 500 brakes suck once again on the track. ZL1 could brake deeper into turns before turn in.

The axle doesn't help either.
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #32
URBAN LEGEND

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 BMW M5/13 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 993
Not sure why they went away from IRS. Ford had it in 03/04 in the Cobra.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #33
72MachOne99GT

 
72MachOne99GT's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Not sure why they went away from IRS. Ford had it in 03/04 in the Cobra.
It was sloppy, and exceptionally prone to breaking where it was used most...from a launch.
__________________
2013 GT500- Grabber Blue/stripe delete, Base, Recaros,
1999 GT- Atlantic Blue, gears, exhaust, tires 13.6@100
1972 Mach 1- Med Lime Green Metallic, 351-4V, auto,
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #34
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
It was sloppy, and exceptionally prone to breaking where it was used most...from a launch.
At least Ford recognized this and went back to SRA. Make it stronger for where the car is going to spend most of it's time. I wouldn't fault them for that. I think they put the money where they thought it would be most beneficial for their customers at the time. Kudos.
__________________
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #35
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth
 
knowitman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Possum Trot, KY
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
The results are in. ZL1 wins.
That means it's out in news stands?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
__________________
#3642
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #36
URBAN LEGEND

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 BMW M5/13 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitman View Post
That means it's out in news stands?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4
It is. Don't buy it. Read if at Walmart. It's only about half a page at the back of mag.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #37
72MachOne99GT

 
72MachOne99GT's Avatar
 
Drives: 1972 Mach 1, 1999 GT
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
At least Ford recognized this and went back to SRA. Make it stronger for where the car is going to spend most of it's time. I wouldn't fault them for that. I think they put the money where they thought it would be most beneficial for their customers at the time. Kudos.
Yea, still sort of a double edged sword.

While Ford did an outstanding job nearly mastering a solid rear for handling (more toward 2011-2014 than at the introduction of the s197 platform) I think everyone is at a consensus that even a lower model independent rears are capable of outperforming the best solid rears on production cars.

Especially within the pony/sports car segment I think its true. The Boss from 11 and 12 was favored heavily over the suspension in the Camaro until the LaZy1 made a big leap to their MRS, and the 1LE was able to really improve on the base SS pinnings.
__________________
2013 GT500- Grabber Blue/stripe delete, Base, Recaros,
1999 GT- Atlantic Blue, gears, exhaust, tires 13.6@100
1972 Mach 1- Med Lime Green Metallic, 351-4V, auto,
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #38
gen=5

 
gen=5's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: houston
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover86 View Post
If this was 1987 I bet all you guys would be ripping the GN/GNX since it didn't handle like a Corvette...

The current batch of Camaro guys sound like the Mustang guys from 98-02 when the LS1 was killing the 4.6...

Bottom line is this is the best time to be a car guy....
+1 After owning 2 new GN,s dad had a new GNX,and owning a new 89 LXmustang,or purchased it for my wife at the time.
Since then Other a new srt10 every performance car I have purchased from a dealer has been a GM vehicle
I also say that it's the best time to be a car guy,even if I cant enjoy them like i used too..At no other time in history has the customer of any brand been able to have such over the top choices in performance,value,and mileage..could you image what the mpg would of been in a 620 hp factory car back in the 60's & 70's lol.... If the average customer in the late 70's was told that they could get over 20mpg, with over 600hp while using the a/c they would never of found it to be believable.
__________________
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346589 CHECK OUT THE BUILDING OF MY RANCH FOR DISABLED VETS, COMPLETE WITH A GUN RANGE &, PAINT BALL COURSE coming...garage for car shows,and a workout & rehab center hopfull
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #39
URBAN LEGEND

 
URBAN LEGEND's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 BMW M5/13 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
+1 After owning 2 new GN,s dad had a new GNX,and owning a new 89 LXmustang,or purchased it for my wife at the time.
Since then Other a new srt10 every performance car I have purchased from a dealer has been a GM vehicle
I also say that it's the best time to be a car guy,even if I cant enjoy them like i used too..At no other time in history has the customer of any brand been able to have such over the top choices in performance,value,and mileage..could you image what the mpg would of been in a 620 hp factory car back in the 60's & 70's lol.... If the average customer in the late 70's was told that they could get over 20mpg, with over 600hp while using the a/c they would never of found it to be believable.
No doubt. Electronics and high tech TC systems make it possible to have 662 hp cars right off show room floor. Great times for sure.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.