Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 09-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #26
qniknam
Account Suspended

Drives: 13 ZL1 | 13 SRT GC | 13 SRT CHARGER
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
You are missing out on the 13 GT500 thou !!!
I was considering it but I really like to turn the steering wheel and not die... Lol...
qniknam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #27
DonNC

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS/2012 ZL1
I make a point of dressing like a " bum" whenever I go to a dealership. After walking around and sitting in a dealers showroom for an hour, I left, went to another dealership, bought their truck, then drove back to the first dealership to show them the truck they could have sold me. I love it!
DonNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #28
snackbar64

Drives: SW ZL1, A6, Carbon, Nav, MR, 10 spk
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
So...we've got salesmen who won't come out of the building but what about salesmen who JUMP at the sight of a car on the lot.
A couple of years ago I stopped at a local dealer to pick up something that I'd ordered from the parts department. To get to the parts door, you have to drive around back of the building and around the main car lot. I pull on the lot and down a short drive that gets you up to the main building, turn the first corner to get around back to the parts dept, and a salesman walks out the side door of the building and right into the isle I have to drive through. He walks right in front of my car, puts his hand up (as if to say: STOP), walks to the side of my car, and says "is there something I can do for you?".....
To which I politely respond, "Yes, you can get out of my so that I can get back to the parts department to pick up something that I ordered."
"Would you like to take a look at any cars?"
"If I did, I would have stopped to look at one. Or maybe even called ahead. Is it ok if I go pick up my part now?"
To which he says nothing, and backs away from the car.
Sounds a lot like Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #29
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
I think some of you guys have got it all wrong. I like to drive new cars and test a lot of new cars at dealerships. I always dress in a pair of dockers and a polo and drive the nicest car I have in my garage into the dealership. I call in advance, introduce myself as Dr. (I'm not a M.D. but do have a doctorate level college degree) and ask for the sales rep that is most knowledgeable about the model I'm interested in. By the time I get there they are usually tripping over themselves to let me drive anything. Sorry if I offend anyone but I think if you go into a dealership in a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt you should be surprised if anyone does jump to show you anything. If you want to treated with respect then set yourself up for success. Once again, just my two cents.
ADM - 434 ERL superdeck block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 3.23 rear diff. LPE pulley upgrades, IDE1200's. ADM 2000hp fuel system, ADM trunk mount intercooler reservoir, Ron Davis heat ex, and radiator, LPE oil cooler, rear subframe bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock kit, braided brake and clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. New dyno numbers pending after turbo install.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #30
ChevyCowboy
Lining Up!

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS, Summit white, M6,
Send a message via MSN to ChevyCowboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I think some of you guys have got it all wrong. I like to drive new cars and test a lot of new cars at dealerships. I always dress in a pair of dockers and a polo and drive the nicest car I have in my garage into the dealership. I call in advance, introduce myself as Dr. (I'm not a M.D. but do have a doctorate level college degree) and ask for the sales rep that is most knowledgeable about the model I'm interested in. By the time I get there they are usually tripping over themselves to let me drive anything. Sorry if I offend anyone but I think if you go into a dealership in a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt you should be surprised if anyone does jump to show you anything. If you want to treated with respect then set yourself up for success. Once again, just my two cents.
This is the worst thing I ever read. Motivation for someone to sell a car to an individual shouldn't be based on there appearance. This is whats wrong with society today. Everyone is to quick to judge on what they see, instead of treating everyone equally and treating everyone as a potential customer. NOT COOL

I can relate to the OP. When I first started shopping for my Camaro SS I was 21 years old, how many salesmen do you think approached me at the multiple dealerships I visited before going through and ordering my Camaro? Absolutely 0, not a single one, on average I walked around a show room for 30-45 minutes, and its not because they were busy, I was working evening shifts at this time so it was usually a week day, mid morning early afternoon. Then I went to another dealership. Within 5 minutes of being there a man in his mid 50s to late 50s approached me. Asked me what if he could help me with anything. Obviously I went right ahead and ordered my Camaro, I told him about the previous experience at the other dealships and his face look like this Couldn't believe what I went through.

Anyways just wanted to say I cant believe how much people judge before they even talk to someone
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #31
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
As far as salespeopel approaching you, I have seen it both ways.

I will normally browse the cars in the lot for quite a while (weeks or months) in th etime leading up to when I'm ready to purchase a new car.

I HATE it when the min you get out of your car and start browsing the lot you can see the door to the dealership open and a salesperson heading my way ready to start their sales pitch. as soon as I see someone approaching, I'll move right along to another row.

I know where the salespeople have their desks, and when I'm ready to ask a few questions, I'll find them. Heck, quite often, I just wait till evenging when the dealership is closed to do my browsing in peace.

Of course I've also seen the flip side where you walk into the dealership and start looking at the cars in the showroom, perhaps getting in one to see how it looks/fites, and nobody approachs you at all.

i've also gone places ready to buy a fairly expensive piece of merchandise (with cash in my pocket) and have been ignored. Granted I'm not dressed in a suite but in casual dress clothes, but still I get ignored.

What I prefer is a store where they see you coming, perhaps a salesperson casually aproaches you , asks if you need any help or has any questions, then simply tells you they will be standing by just in case, and from then on they leave you alone.

i am a middle-aged (61) year old single person, and I love to see the look on a waiter's face after a particularly good meal when I leave a generaous tip because they served great food, gave me great service, and left me alone to read a book. because I'm alone, they seem to figure I'm just one person and they won't make much money off of me. Perhaps someday they'll catch on to not alwaays judge a book by it's cover.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #32
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonNC View Post
I make a point of dressing like a " bum" whenever I go to a dealership. After walking around and sitting in a dealers showroom for an hour, I left, went to another dealership, bought their truck, then drove back to the first dealership to show them the truck they could have sold me. I love it!
Do you go into a dealership to make a political statement or to buy a car? Why dress like a bum then get upset when you're treated like one? I'm not gonna waste my time or the sales person's time by standing around waiting for someone to bend over backwards for me b/c I want to buy a car.
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
snackbar64

Very good points made by all of you. Keep in mind that the last thing a car dealership has to offer is their vehicles. They can be bought anywhere; however, really good customer service seldom go hand n hand.

Me being a black man, I often wonder about many causative factors leading to my being treated poorly. I went to look at a Camaro just last week or so ago at Eldorado Chevy in McKinney, TX. There was a white 2014 1LE on the floor, which they refused to let me or my wife sit in. Here's how it went down...The salesman leaves to go get the keys and returns saying that we weren't allowed to sit in the car because it already had a $10,000.00 deposit on it. Why didn't he tell me that beforehand? He did open the door, but little else. I told him that I wanted to see the new color heads up display to which he refused to even turn the key to accessories to oblige.

I told him I already had a ZL1 but was just browsing to which his eyes popped open.

I called a week later and the car was still there. I don't want to say I was treated this way because I am black, but as a black man in McKinney, TX what am I to think?

If there really was a deposit on the car I would understand not being allowed to sit in it, but I am not sure if I was told this just because of the perception that I''m not a potential buyer.

Like others have said here, our business should be earned. I am not going to beg you to buy your car so you can feed your family.

Last edited by snackbar64; 09-17-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As far as salespeopel approaching you, I have seen it both ways.

I will normally browse the cars in the lot for quite a while (weeks or months) in th etime leading up to when I'm ready to purchase a new car.

I HATE it when the min you get out of your car and start browsing the lot you can see the door to the dealership open and a salesperson heading my way ready to start their sales pitch. as soon as I see someone approaching, I'll move right along to another row.

I know where the salespeople have their desks, and when I'm ready to ask a few questions, I'll find them. Heck, quite often, I just wait till evenging when the dealership is closed to do my browsing in peace.

Of course I've also seen the flip side where you walk into the dealership and start looking at the cars in the showroom, perhaps getting in one to see how it looks/fites, and nobody approachs you at all.

i've also gone places ready to buy a fairly expensive piece of merchandise (with cash in my pocket) and have been ignored. Granted I'm not dressed in a suite but in casual dress clothes, but still I get ignored.

What I prefer is a store where they see you coming, perhaps a salesperson casually aproaches you , asks if you need any help or has any questions, then simply tells you they will be standing by just in case, and from then on they leave you alone.

i am a middle-aged (61) year old single person, and I love to see the look on a waiter's face after a particularly good meal when I leave a generaous tip because they served great food, gave me great service, and left me alone to read a book. because I'm alone, they seem to figure I'm just one person and they won't make much money off of me. Perhaps someday they'll catch on to not alwaays judge a book by it's cover.

This is what I prefer as well, Give me 5 or so minutes to browse, if I'm still here then give me a card and tell me you'd be standing by. I despise the salesman that rushes me as soon as I open the door when I arrive and hate the dealership that ignores me when I've been there long enough for them to figure out that I'm interested in a vehicle.

In or around Savannah GA on the first Sunday of the month? Come meet with us here around 11 am!
mmarx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #35
IXLR8

Drives: Harley Davidson
I saw a guy in the Ferrari dealership in August that was wearing a zipped up winter coat and looked like a complete nut and then he drove away in an Italia, so never judge a book by its cover.
IXLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #36
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Honestly when I hit the dealer I usually know more about the cars I'm looking for and often times even their inventory. The internet changed things a lot.

Problem is I go in dressed casual and unassuming. They don't realize that I'm a sure thing when it comes to buying what I'm looking for.

I can't afford a Ferrari but I sure as hell can afford anything on a Chevy lot short of a ZR1. I don't buy or even look above my means.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #37
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
The Chevy dealer and Ford dealer that are nearest to me seem to be very customer oriented. When I stop in either one I'm usually wearing worn jeans with a rip in one knee. I'm always approached within a couple of minutes and asked if I need any help, and when I say I'm "just looking around" they tell me I should just ask when I need anything and then they step away. They're there if you need them, but they're not hovering over you waiting to pounce. Yes, they are friendly and helpful, whether you are just looking or if you are ready to make a purchase.

But the Ford dealer charges over sticker for GT500s and Boss 302s and the Chevy dealer charges over sticker for his ZL1s. They have no quams about adding another sheet alongside the factory widow sticker showing "market value adjustment" of $5K (or more). The Ford dealer did this on GT500s in previous years, but didn't need to print up a ADM (additional dealer markup) sheet on the 2013s because he pre-sold all three of his allotted '13 GT500s and his only '13 Boss 302 each for $5K over sticker. The nearest Chevy dealer likes to order his ZL1s for stock and add the market value adjustment sheet when the car is in his showroom. The sales manager says it helps sell LT and SS Camaros when people come in to look at the ZL1 in the showroom. They're content to have other Chevy dealers get the minimal profit from customers looking to pay invoice or below, when sooner or later they get a customer who will pay what they are asking because they have it available on the spot and the customer just has to have it.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #38
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
The dealer I ended up going with is very much like that. Except they don't do the add on. They just don't discount.

Their customer service in general is stellar. I just called my guy in parts for a list of parts and they will all be here by the end of the week and I'll pay him when I get there. His prices were the lowest by a lot too.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #39
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: Mini Cooper S
I'm broke AND in a wheelchair but I was still mobbed by salespeople when I looked at my ZL1. lol
Old 09-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #40
orangejuice
H1 OFCR

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Thank you for your service
ZL1 Hood/Fascia
AAC Afterburners/Sidemarkers
Havoc Black Chrome
5% Tint/20% Smoked Taillights

orangejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #41
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML350, ZL1 man. 2013
Went to order a ZL1 at first dealership. Was driving an old cavalier which belonged to my mother, was in jeans and a not so elegant winter coat. I did park infront of the dealership which probably made me visible to the sales people. Went in, looked around, the receptionist eventually got the salesman for me. Long story short, when I said I wanted to order the ZL1, the salesman smiled and reminded me it was a 60000$ car. I asked him if he thought that car was to expensive for me.
Bought my ZL1 at another dealership where I was treated very well. That first dealership is now officially closed.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #42
snackbar64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
Went to order a ZL1 at first dealership. Was driving an old cavalier which belonged to my mother, was in jeans and a not so elegant winter coat. I did park infront of the dealership which probably made me visible to the sales people. Went in, looked around, the receptionist eventually got the salesman for me. Long story short, when I said I wanted to order the ZL1, the salesman smiled and reminded me it was a 60000$ car. I asked him if he thought that car was to expensive for me.
Bought my ZL1 at another dealership where I was treated very well. That first dealership is now officially closed.
Very similar experience when I bought mine. Went to a small town car lot and when I asked about the car the salesman told me they were for rich folks who kept them in the garage and never drove them. He did not even take me serious when I made an offer on the car. He went in to ask and never returned. I went inside and he was just passing time talking to other salesmen and eventually wandered over to another customer.

I should have left, but there was a nice young man that had only been there for a few days. I told him he was about to make some money. I wrote a check for the car and gave him generous tip. I am sure they stuffed him on the commission which is why I tipped him.

I had on some old Walmart pants and sneakers. My wife had on jeans and a sweater with sneakers. We are also African American. Not sure which factored in more for the way we were treated.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #43
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rs View Post
In 1981, my sister wanted a new Z. I, a constructiion worker, a friend, a welder, and my sister, a waitress, all still imn work clothes went to the chevy dealer in Turnersville N.J. After 10 minutes of no salesman coming over we left and she bought the Z the next day at another dealer!
We bought our ZL1 from Turnersville. I work for the corporate group so we got their only 2012.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #44
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebeecamaro View Post
I'm broke AND in a wheelchair but I was still mobbed by salespeople when I looked at my ZL1. lol
Well since I am also in a wheelchair I guess i can comment without someone thinking i am being rude(hopefully)! THE REASON YOU GOT MOBBED AS YOU PUT IS THAT YOU WENT IN ASKED,AND TOLD THEM YOU WERE BUYING A ZL1. I am sorry no one that is really broke can afford to buy a ZL1,you most likely traded in your yellow ss which still no one really broke purchases a 40k car.I have seen your youtube posts,your not broke or look broke,unless you went broke buying a ZL1 which is just plain silly.Broke is like some of my other disabled friends that cant afford a 500 car since they only have 100 bucks left out of their disability checks after bills each month.NOW ALL THAT BEING SAID LIFE IS HARD ENOUGH WITH HAVING TO BE IN A CHAIR SO I AM TRULY HAPPY TO SEE YOU BEING ABLE TO BE UP AND DRIVING AND ABLE TO OWN SUCH A GREAT CAR,ENJOY HAVE FUN,AND BE SAFE IN IT.

OH when I went there I got off a metro bus in sweat pants,and a t-shirt because anything else is too hard to put on as my spine is fused from my belly up to the base of my brain,which is why i was wearing that,also the lady who was with me was black and wearing a nurse helpers uniform,and color never came to my mine until someone else stated it happened to him(snackbar) and he thought it was due to race which is sad.OH yeah the salesmen in the golf carts were all white,and when i was finally helped the salesman turn out to be Hispanic,sad OH i am white,another good day for WHAT WOULD YOU DO(t.v. show if you dont watch) ,lol

Last edited by gen=5; 09-25-2013 at 04:39 AM. Reason: cause i can.
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #45
gen=5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
there are a couple of things to mention to your original post.. the most important thing to start off with is that we (humans) have a natural repulsion to anyone with a disability.. second thing is if the TSA profiled people the way car salesmen do, we wouldn't have near the problems we do when we fly.. third is that I hope you weren't playing the pity card because you served in the military and were handicapped..
Thank you to those that understood the reason for my post that it was about poor customer service to those that appear to lack the funds to purchase a vehicle and had nothing to do with pity or the fact i was in a wheelchair...Now it could of to the salesman,and until i read a post from someone else you mention he was black and it happened to him race didn't come to mine,as i was being pushed by a sweet older black lady dressed in a nurses helper suit.
Pity never came to my mine,why would it I had cash in my pocket to purchase a ZL1.That comment was a bit rude its like asking the guys up on stage that are asking for funds so they can get help medical help for injuries they got in combat,or those asking for funds to cure their cancer if they want pity from others, because they are disabled and telling their story,or when the V.A. forgets about us and we go and ask for help because it takes a yr or more for extra medical help with PTSD. NO one wants pity,anyway sorry for my out burst but its just rude..HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY PITY THAT I ASK FOR AND ITS FROM THE COPS TO NOT WRITE ME A TICKET ,LOL FINALLY TOOK PICTURES RIGHT AFTER A RAIN STORM .FASTLANE DID A GREAT JOB ON THE CARBON AND MOTOR WORK,AND ITS GOING BACK MONDAY MORNING FOR MORE INCLUDING A HEX,T/B AND SOME OTHER STUFF,AND NO I DIDN'T GO BACK TO THE SALESMAN AT LONESTAR AND SAY HEY LOOK AT IT BECAUSE HE AS I SAID WAS NICE AFTER SOMEONE HELPED ME 20 MINS LATER OR WHATEVER IT WAS...
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #46
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #47
SEVEN-OH JOE
when 6.2 just won't do

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I did something similar back in my early 20's. My dad was talking to the Porsche dealer about a 928. He knew his salesman was out of town but decided he wanted the car. He wanted to see if the dealership would sell the car to a kid with a T-Shirt, cut off blue jeans and some pretty badly worn tennis shoes.

Well they ignored for a while till the sales manager came and asked why was I in his dealership. Told him I wanted to buy the 928, had a check and he could call the bank down the street my checking account was at. He sold me the car and the freaking other sales folks freaked out that they lost out.

Funnier yet was when the salesman my dad had been talking to came back to work he called my dad and said he was sorry but they sold the car while he was out. Dad said it was ok since it was his son they sold the car to.
A question, Scott, if you don't mind:

1) Did your dad's salesman get credit/commission for the sale? Or do you think that matters?
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #48
Ohten
Hot Sauce

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Tincoat SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen=5 View Post
well I do intend on going back there, because i want to get a car cover for it with the ZL1 printed on it if they have them

Stop stop stop,do not use the car cover from GM it will scratch the s**t out of your car.I had one and put it in the trash because thats where it belongs.I now have a cover from Covercraft(duststop) that is 100 times better.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #49
Optimus

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE Transformer
People should never judge a book by its cover but many do...
Back in the day, my brother was the Finance Manager at a Chevy dealership. Some bum walked in, dirty and smelly, etc. No one even said hello to him. My brother asked if he could help him and the guys says "yes, I would like to look at a Corvette ZR1" My brother showed him the two that he had on the lot and the guy said he wanted to buy the red one. He then asked my brother if the dealership would take a check. The check was a starter check so my brother told the guy that it is policy to verify with the bank on any check under #100. Bank says the guy won a huge lawsuit and give him anything he wants. 1 ZR1 sold!!! A week later the guy comes back and buys a second. He basically told every other sales person to go eff off when he past them and headed straight to my brother's office. It as a great story then and still is. I'll never forget it and I'll never judge a book by its cover...
Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #50
gen=5

you got that right well i hope that guy is still enjoying his ZR1 and lol all the way down the road