Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #18
MichiganSRT
SRT and SS
 
MichiganSRT's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' Jeep SRT8 / 13' 2SS Conv.
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 210
Being 23 and young looking at cars like SRT and ZL1 is what I loe to do, I love getting treated like shit, cause it really goes to show you never judge a book by its cover. I had a salesman, im not kidding, chuckle at me when I told him I was giving thought to ordering a ZL1 from them, I went to the bathroom and left immediately. Went back a few days later while on break with a friend in his car, Ferrari 458 Italia and made sure he saw me, look on his face, priceless .
MichiganSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #19
CSX4350
 
Drives: WAY too many to list
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 10
Gen=5, first let me say we are all proud of you and your sacrifice. There's a debt there that nobody can ever repay you.

That being said I feel your pain. I have about 20 cars, and usually buy and sell several cars a year. I deal with car sales people on a very regular basis. They have generally become the laziest bunch of people I have ever dealt with. Just last week I spoke to 3 sales people on the phone about a ZL1 they showed to have on their website. Not one of them could even be bothered to call me back to tell me if it was still available. I know for a fact one was, since I bought a different one from the same dealership and saw the one I had called on. I did refuse to buy from the sales person that never called me back though.
These experiences are just the ones on the phone, I usually dress in jeans, a t-shirt and tennis shoes and if I walk onto a dealers lot can't get a sales person to even look at me. I don't look like someone who can afford a new car, they don't seem to notice that I drove up in another new car. Sales people definitely make judgements on whether they "think" you can afford a car when they look at you, which is why I prefer to deal on the phone.

I refuse to work to give some salesperson my money, I require they work to EARN my business. My money spends just as well at any other dealership, I don't have to buy from someone who treats me like dirt.

You surely aren't alone.
__________________
John

2014 ZL1 Black M6
1969 Camaro ZZ502/T56 Cortez Silver W/Black Stripes
Too many others to list
CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,047
I regret you had a bad experience at that dealership. I love reading the stories of some idiots that unfortunately work at dealerships. I have always walked onto a dealer lot in jeans or shorts and a t shirt. I have been shopping that way since 1985 when I purchased my first new vehicle a Ford F-150 4X4. I had a similar incident while getting replacement parts for my girlfriend's Tahoe. I had looked online on the Chevy website and noticed this small dealership had a black 2013 ZL1 which I was ready to buy. I walked around the car and the salesman came over after I attempted to open the door to look at the interior. It was locked. This car is on the showroom floor in front of the sales managers office. The salesman states they keep it locked to prevent people from "looking inside". He then asks the sales manager if he can unlock the car to show a customer. They unlock it and start on me about "it's a limited production car", no discount and maybe a markup since it's "limited production" etc. I told them that they are still producing them as I had been on Camaro 5 and was monitoring VIN numbers for new 2013 owners. I could tell they thought " Oh, he's not serious buyer".


They didn't know that I was already approved for the purchase thru my credit union, found my ZL1 at another dealership in my area. It was posted above about the dealership "working" for the sale, these guys did exactly that! I came back and parked it as close as possible for the sales manager to see along with the sales geek who was insulting to me. I walked in and gave then a bunch of feedback on treating customers better in the future. It was actually borderline racism and I told the sales manager that exactly. They were apologetic but way too late as I will never use that dealer to buy a car from! It is always said, "don't judge a book by it's cover".

Last edited by ZL1-V; 09-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.
ZL1-V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
Camaro Fred
2012 ZL1 VIN 150
 
Drives: 1973 RS LT Camaro 4 Speed
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 237
Appearances are so overrated. I don't think it was your disability, I do think it had to do with how you were dressed. I wear clothes that are not good enough for a thrift store on the weekends, and I get no respect. What matters is not what is on your outside or even in your wallet, but what is inside. Glad you got your ZL1, you will enjoy it.
__________________
Camaro Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #22
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech
 
Russo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Raceland, LA
Posts: 1,376
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
there are a couple of things to mention to your original post.. the most important thing to start off with is that we (humans) have a natural repulsion to anyone with a disability.. second thing is if the TSA profiled people the way car salesmen do, we wouldn't have near the problems we do when we fly.. third is that I hope you weren't playing the pity card because you served in the military and were handicapped..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #23
DJ-Silver 2SS
Ah DJ-IOM ZL1 haha
 
DJ-Silver 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 IOM ZL1 M6 & 10 SIM 2SS M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hope Mills, NC
Posts: 553
Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-Silver 2SS
I completely agree. Why is it so many of us have had this same type of situation? When I returned from a 3 year tour in Korea this past February, I wanted to buy a ZL1, period. I was driving in my '10 2SS and I was looking. After looking online, I decided to stop by the local dealership to see what they had. I had my financing in order and was ready to go. My normal attire is golf like clothes, shorts and a polo shirt. None the less, I pulled up in my 2SS to the front door, got out of my car, walked around the lot, then walked into the show room. This whole time, no salesman greeted me. I saw that the dealership had the car I wanted, but I was slightly upset that no one even said anything to me, so I left not talking to anyone. I gave up that day, but went to the neighboring dealership and received the service that I was expecting and bought my car.

Of all things considered, my wife and I have bought cars from Ford, Chevrolet, BMW, and Toyota. As I have witnessed, BMW and Toyota have the best service I have ever had. The dealership I bought my ZL1 from is one of the best dealerships I have been in, but for a Chevrolet dealership, it seems to be against the norm...

Just my 2 cents.
__________________
2013 IOM ZL1 #002415 Born 09/13/12
2010 SIM 2SS/RS #005549 Born 05/02/09
DJ-Silver 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
qniknam
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 | 13 SRT GC | 13 SRT CHARGER
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 254
Courtesy Chevrolet in Arizona wasted my time and called me a roach because I asked them for a discount on the ZL1 I simply asked for my GMS price minus the rebate. I then went to Sands Chevrolet in Glendale Arizona, I called before hand and spoke with the GM. He said come down, I said I'm on my way he called to check up on me, I told him I'm running a little behind, when I got there to my surprise the car was detailed. It was upfront, it took them 10 minutes to get the bank to approve it. I signed and left.

It's amazing how much proper management makes a different.
qniknam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
oldfriend


 
oldfriend's Avatar
 
Drives: Fiat 500 E
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 32.7607/N. 16.95947/W
Posts: 7,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by qniknam View Post
Courtesy Chevrolet in Arizona wasted my time and called me a roach because I asked them for a discount on the ZL1 I simply asked for my GMS price minus the rebate. I then went to Sands Chevrolet in Glendale Arizona, I called before hand and spoke with the GM. He said come down, I said I'm on my way he called to check up on me, I told him I'm running a little behind, when I got there to my surprise the car was detailed. It was upfront, it took them 10 minutes to get the bank to approve it. I signed and left.

It's amazing how much proper management makes a different.
You are missing out on the 13 GT500 thou !!!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
qniknam
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 | 13 SRT GC | 13 SRT CHARGER
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
You are missing out on the 13 GT500 thou !!!
I was considering it but I really like to turn the steering wheel and not die... Lol...
qniknam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
DonNC
 
DonNC's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS/2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grover,NC
Posts: 107
I make a point of dressing like a " bum" whenever I go to a dealership. After walking around and sitting in a dealers showroom for an hour, I left, went to another dealership, bought their truck, then drove back to the first dealership to show them the truck they could have sold me. I love it!
DonNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #28
snackbar64
 
snackbar64's Avatar
 
Drives: SW ZL1, A6, Carbon, Nav, MR, 10 spk
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Prosper, TX
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 2SS/RS View Post
So...we've got salesmen who won't come out of the building but what about salesmen who JUMP at the sight of a car on the lot.
A couple of years ago I stopped at a local dealer to pick up something that I'd ordered from the parts department. To get to the parts door, you have to drive around back of the building and around the main car lot. I pull on the lot and down a short drive that gets you up to the main building, turn the first corner to get around back to the parts dept, and a salesman walks out the side door of the building and right into the isle I have to drive through. He walks right in front of my car, puts his hand up (as if to say: STOP), walks to the side of my car, and says "is there something I can do for you?".....
To which I politely respond, "Yes, you can get out of my so that I can get back to the parts department to pick up something that I ordered."
"Would you like to take a look at any cars?"
"If I did, I would have stopped to look at one. Or maybe even called ahead. Is it ok if I go pick up my part now?"
To which he says nothing, and backs away from the car.
Sounds a lot like Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #29
jessrayo
Speed Freak
 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 2,246
I think some of you guys have got it all wrong. I like to drive new cars and test a lot of new cars at dealerships. I always dress in a pair of dockers and a polo and drive the nicest car I have in my garage into the dealership. I call in advance, introduce myself as Dr. (I'm not a M.D. but do have a doctorate level college degree) and ask for the sales rep that is most knowledgeable about the model I'm interested in. By the time I get there they are usually tripping over themselves to let me drive anything. Sorry if I offend anyone but I think if you go into a dealership in a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt you should be surprised if anyone does jump to show you anything. If you want to treated with respect then set yourself up for success. Once again, just my two cents.
__________________
ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. LSA blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. rwhp TBD...
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #30
ChevyCowboy
Lining Up!
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS, Summit white, M6,
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick Canada
Posts: 103
Send a message via MSN to ChevyCowboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I think some of you guys have got it all wrong. I like to drive new cars and test a lot of new cars at dealerships. I always dress in a pair of dockers and a polo and drive the nicest car I have in my garage into the dealership. I call in advance, introduce myself as Dr. (I'm not a M.D. but do have a doctorate level college degree) and ask for the sales rep that is most knowledgeable about the model I'm interested in. By the time I get there they are usually tripping over themselves to let me drive anything. Sorry if I offend anyone but I think if you go into a dealership in a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt you should be surprised if anyone does jump to show you anything. If you want to treated with respect then set yourself up for success. Once again, just my two cents.
This is the worst thing I ever read. Motivation for someone to sell a car to an individual shouldn't be based on there appearance. This is whats wrong with society today. Everyone is to quick to judge on what they see, instead of treating everyone equally and treating everyone as a potential customer. NOT COOL

I can relate to the OP. When I first started shopping for my Camaro SS I was 21 years old, how many salesmen do you think approached me at the multiple dealerships I visited before going through and ordering my Camaro? Absolutely 0, not a single one, on average I walked around a show room for 30-45 minutes, and its not because they were busy, I was working evening shifts at this time so it was usually a week day, mid morning early afternoon. Then I went to another dealership. Within 5 minutes of being there a man in his mid 50s to late 50s approached me. Asked me what if he could help me with anything. Obviously I went right ahead and ordered my Camaro, I told him about the previous experience at the other dealships and his face look like this Couldn't believe what I went through.

Anyways just wanted to say I cant believe how much people judge before they even talk to someone
__________________
11 Camaro 1SS - Summit White - Black Stripes - 6.2 - M6 - Hurst Short Throw Shifter - Sun Roof - Rally Sport - Dynatech LT - ORY - Night Fury Cam - 1LE Sway Bars -
ChevyCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #31
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 4,971
As far as salespeopel approaching you, I have seen it both ways.

I will normally browse the cars in the lot for quite a while (weeks or months) in th etime leading up to when I'm ready to purchase a new car.

I HATE it when the min you get out of your car and start browsing the lot you can see the door to the dealership open and a salesperson heading my way ready to start their sales pitch. as soon as I see someone approaching, I'll move right along to another row.

I know where the salespeople have their desks, and when I'm ready to ask a few questions, I'll find them. Heck, quite often, I just wait till evenging when the dealership is closed to do my browsing in peace.

Of course I've also seen the flip side where you walk into the dealership and start looking at the cars in the showroom, perhaps getting in one to see how it looks/fites, and nobody approachs you at all.

i've also gone places ready to buy a fairly expensive piece of merchandise (with cash in my pocket) and have been ignored. Granted I'm not dressed in a suite but in casual dress clothes, but still I get ignored.

What I prefer is a store where they see you coming, perhaps a salesperson casually aproaches you , asks if you need any help or has any questions, then simply tells you they will be standing by just in case, and from then on they leave you alone.

i am a middle-aged (61) year old single person, and I love to see the look on a waiter's face after a particularly good meal when I leave a generaous tip because they served great food, gave me great service, and left me alone to read a book. because I'm alone, they seem to figure I'm just one person and they won't make much money off of me. Perhaps someday they'll catch on to not alwaays judge a book by it's cover.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #32
km9v
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonNC View Post
I make a point of dressing like a " bum" whenever I go to a dealership. After walking around and sitting in a dealers showroom for an hour, I left, went to another dealership, bought their truck, then drove back to the first dealership to show them the truck they could have sold me. I love it!
Do you go into a dealership to make a political statement or to buy a car? Why dress like a bum then get upset when you're treated like one? I'm not gonna waste my time or the sales person's time by standing around waiting for someone to bend over backwards for me b/c I want to buy a car.
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
snackbar64
 
snackbar64's Avatar
 
Drives: SW ZL1, A6, Carbon, Nav, MR, 10 spk
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Prosper, TX
Posts: 431
Very good points made by all of you. Keep in mind that the last thing a car dealership has to offer is their vehicles. They can be bought anywhere; however, really good customer service seldom go hand n hand.

Me being a black man, I often wonder about many causative factors leading to my being treated poorly. I went to look at a Camaro just last week or so ago at Eldorado Chevy in McKinney, TX. There was a white 2014 1LE on the floor, which they refused to let me or my wife sit in. Here's how it went down...The salesman leaves to go get the keys and returns saying that we weren't allowed to sit in the car because it already had a $10,000.00 deposit on it. Why didn't he tell me that beforehand? He did open the door, but little else. I told him that I wanted to see the new color heads up display to which he refused to even turn the key to accessories to oblige.

I told him I already had a ZL1 but was just browsing to which his eyes popped open.

I called a week later and the car was still there. I don't want to say I was treated this way because I am black, but as a black man in McKinney, TX what am I to think?

If there really was a deposit on the car I would understand not being allowed to sit in it, but I am not sure if I was told this just because of the perception that I''m not a potential buyer.

Like others have said here, our business should be earned. I am not going to beg you to buy your car so you can feed your family.

Last edited by snackbar64; 09-17-2013 at 02:28 PM.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
mmarx82

 
mmarx82's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As far as salespeopel approaching you, I have seen it both ways.

I will normally browse the cars in the lot for quite a while (weeks or months) in th etime leading up to when I'm ready to purchase a new car.

I HATE it when the min you get out of your car and start browsing the lot you can see the door to the dealership open and a salesperson heading my way ready to start their sales pitch. as soon as I see someone approaching, I'll move right along to another row.

I know where the salespeople have their desks, and when I'm ready to ask a few questions, I'll find them. Heck, quite often, I just wait till evenging when the dealership is closed to do my browsing in peace.

Of course I've also seen the flip side where you walk into the dealership and start looking at the cars in the showroom, perhaps getting in one to see how it looks/fites, and nobody approachs you at all.

i've also gone places ready to buy a fairly expensive piece of merchandise (with cash in my pocket) and have been ignored. Granted I'm not dressed in a suite but in casual dress clothes, but still I get ignored.

What I prefer is a store where they see you coming, perhaps a salesperson casually aproaches you , asks if you need any help or has any questions, then simply tells you they will be standing by just in case, and from then on they leave you alone.

i am a middle-aged (61) year old single person, and I love to see the look on a waiter's face after a particularly good meal when I leave a generaous tip because they served great food, gave me great service, and left me alone to read a book. because I'm alone, they seem to figure I'm just one person and they won't make much money off of me. Perhaps someday they'll catch on to not alwaays judge a book by it's cover.

This is what I prefer as well, Give me 5 or so minutes to browse, if I'm still here then give me a card and tell me you'd be standing by. I despise the salesman that rushes me as soon as I open the door when I arrive and hate the dealership that ignores me when I've been there long enough for them to figure out that I'm interested in a vehicle.
__________________
Life is too short to drive cars that suck.
My build Thread

In or around Savannah GA on the first Sunday of the month? Come meet with us here around 11 am!
mmarx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.