Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

4th Generation Camaros 1993-2002

Old 03-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #1
flipsta510fazn

Drives: 1967 camaro
Question 1997 camaro z28 6 speed

i was wondering if i should buy this
97 Chevy Camaro Z28 T-TOP 5.7L V8 6-Speed Manual - 30th Anniversary Ed. -
$5,100 OBO!! THIS IS PRICED TO SELL!! KBB VALUE IS $5700 ** I am willing to take the 1st reasonable offer. I am trying to avoid interest on my credit card!!!
Reason for sale: PurchasED SUV for family, need to sell car quickly!!
Mileage: 146,000
Very fun to drive!
Exterior color: White
Interior color: Charcoal (Leather)
Power everything, ASR, Skipshift
12 Disc CD-changer
Remote entry w/alarm
Factory fog lamps
Edelbrock after-market exhaust (street legal)
Very well maintained (Regular Oil-changes, tire rotations, tune-ups, wax, detailing)
Replaced: Clutch, Starter, Battery, Distributor cap/rotor, Plugs/wires, Fuel pump, Water pump, radiator, Master air-flow sensor, coolant sensor, fuel filter
Clean history, no accidents, 2nd owner (I knew the 1st)
KBB Value: $5700
Overall condition:
EXTERIOR: GOOD, No major dents/dings/scratches
INTERIOR: GOOD, Very few slight cosmetic issues.. nothing major

would this be a good buy for $4500
or should i just hold off

and one more ? how long does these z's last till things start to break down
let me know what you guys think the body is great and no leaks i checked it out but i dont want to put any money into it when i get i just want to be able to drive
flipsta510fazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'd be very careful of the Optispark and water pump. These are idiosyncracies of the LT1. They were notorious for intake manifold leaks too. I think it's a good car otherwise. You've already got many of these addressed, but just things to keep an eye on
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'd be very careful of the Optispark and water pump. These are idiosyncracies of the LT1. They were notorious for intake manifold leaks too. I think it's a good car otherwise. You've already got many of these addressed, but just things to keep an eye on
yeah, but it says the opti and cap/rotor have been replaced. tho they are still hit and miss depending on where you get it from.

4500 is a decent price for a 30th ann. but check the vin # and the RPO code in the door to verify it is a true 30th ann. cus a lot of people will throw an intake/hood and slap some stripes on there and call it an ann car.

other than that, go for it.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yup...run that vin through Carfax before doing anything. Also, call your local dealer (if you have a regular guy at the service shop, that always REALLY helps!!!) and ask them to run the vin to see what's been done on it at the GM service dealers. They keep all records of anything being fixed at ANY dealers.

I called on my 02 SS before purchasing and found two things....the passenger window switch was changed out and so was the passenger fog light....everything else was perfect. Those records were requested by the service rep in SA and the car was fixed at the original dealer in Iowa. So, yes...it can ALL be found (as long as it was done at the dealer service shop).

But, again, I'd rather bank my money...Can you hold off for a year? If not, it doesn't sound like a bad price...kinda high miles and you'd only be putting on another 10K-13K miles within the next year. Value will go down (obviously)...but it you need transportation, doesn't sound bad. Some of the guys w/ more experience w/ the LT1's could help you out more.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
flipsta510fazn

Drives: 1967 camaro
this man im buying it from has reciptes from all the stuff done from the dealer i seen it all its seems good and on top of that i wont really drive it that much cause i have a dialy driver celicaim also going to get real soon i just want this as a weekend car 3 days a week type of deal and im looking into purchessing the new camaro but not untill 2011 or 2012 cause im still going to school oh by the ways i also have a 1967 camaro that i dont even drive haha its been restored and i dont even drive it i was wondering if you guys know any insurance for classic cars that would give me a good deal i just turn 22 and i been having the camaro for about 3 and a half years and its offically done but im just gonna lay low with that car haha so what do you think do you think i should still buy this car cause i talk to the guy he's 28 years old and he took care of the car it runs awsome
flipsta510fazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #6
scaz

Drives: 2013 Chevy Sonic
I know Met has a classic car insurace which is really cheap. My father in law has it on his Camaro and he swears by it. I believe he can't park it anywhere but a car show and he can drive it all he wants.
scaz is offline   Reply With Quote