Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Circle-D
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
PyroLT

Drives: 2015 AGM 1LT
Springs or Coilovers

Hey guys, I've been trying to decide whether I should just pull the trigger on coil overs or just slap some springs on.

Currently, the car is mostly a street car. However, I do go to the strip occasionally and would eventually like to do atuoX with it. I am really leaning towards coil overs now but the fact that I don't know what supporting changes I will need is putting me off. Most threads I found are for the V8 in which it looks like they just bolt in. I know for the V6 we have FE2 suspension so I'm concerned about needing to change out sways/etc.

If anyone has done coil overs on their V6, or know of any extra changes needed, please share your experiences.

Thanks!
PyroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
There's nothing unique about putting them in the V6 cars. But if you're wanting to do autocross you'll want sway bars unless you want to stay in a purely stock class. Going more than 1" in drop I would always say coilovers. Some disagree and say 1.5" but I'm considering both shock longevity as well as ensuring you don't take it too far out of it's travel range in terms of performance. Dropping it a lot is also bad for drag performance as well as axle angle in autocross and road racing.

If you want something that's good for daily/drag/autocross then the adjustability of coilovers is nice but you need to have the understanding to be able to tune them. 1LE shocks and a 1" drop spring is a good all around performing package that wouldn't require adjustments.

Then there's budget. So it's up to you, your goals, suspension knowledge or willingness to learn tuning, and overall budget.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

Drives: Camaro Justice
Are you dropping your car more for the look than performance?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
PyroLT

Drives: 2015 AGM 1LT
Mainly I'm dropping it for performance, however, I do love the look of a lowered car with no wheel gap. I'm seeing it as a dual package, lol. Since Synner verified I don't need to swap anything else I'm going to go with the coilovers.

Hopefully, I'll be able to install these myself as they don't look to be super hard to put in. I have no previous experience with suspension so I want to get some hands on with it. Eventually I plan a brake/BMR suspension upgrade but I don't have time to do all that now.

What coilovers are y'all recommending now? I've been looking around and found a few but the reivews seem spotty. When I do this I'll be looking to spend 2,500 -3,500 for the set. These are the ones I've found so far.

Ridetech
KW
BC racing
Detroit Speed
Penske
Megans
Pfadt

Obviously Penske and DS are the top of the line but they are more than I want to drop for these. Right now I'm leaning towards Pfadt or Ridetech.

If there are better sets out there please let me know.

Thanks
PyroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
JusticePete
5th Gen Master Builder

Drives: Camaro Justice
RideTech fits your need, use and your budget
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
RideTech fits your need, use and your budget
#1 car 2010 Black 2LTRS 1/28/10-10/15/11, 17900 miles
#2 car 2012 Red 2SSRS 10/15/11-
Mods: Outlaw Axelback & J Pipes/Heritage&Stillen Grill/Halltech CAI/Apex Scoop,Washer Bottle/OEM Strut Tower Brace/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/ Forgestar cf10 wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/Remote Clutch resovoir/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm ZL1 Spec sway bars / Whiteline craddle Inserts & Upper rear arm bushes/ 416/414 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote