Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 10-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #51
simon.w

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Robinson1 View Post
My wife practicaly cried once she saw the first 10k paypal exchange. Then two cam swaps, 3 sets of wheels, and a crap load of other wasted funds she got over it.

The guilt trips come and go
Hmmmm ... that sound familiar!

Trouble is ... they're OK with the first little things like the intake or shifter, because they go and buy themselves some shoes and justify it with "but you bought things for your car." It's too late now ... you've had your first hit and you're addicted.

Then comes the blower ... they grin and bare it ... a bit. Then you don't get the power you want ... so you get the tune ... then the full exhaust.

Then come the problems. Oil leak ... so you add catch cans. First the cheap ones you sneak through eBay ... but they don't work. So then you bite the bullet and go for a good one. Oh ... and a breather cap.

Then the surging starts ... so you try and resolve it yourself. Plugs, leads, more plugs, O2 sensors, MAF. Still not fixed.

So you throw more at a better tune with someone who knows what they're doing this time ... you find out you need injectors, then the fuel pump.

Then you think ... I'd better get a leak down test ... broken ringlands. Crap!

So you break the bad news to the wife. You can't tell her what it's REALLY going to be ... so you pluck a number out of thin air "$5k ... 7 tops".

Then the rebuild starts ... pistons, rings, rods, bolts + studs, cam, lifters, valve springs, push rods, timing set, heads, gaskets, plugs, labor. Better put in an HV oil pump for insurance. May as well pulley down ... so you'll need a 8 rib pulley kit. Will need a bigger fuel pump then ... may as well do the rear bushes while the subframe is out .. oh and you'll need a better clutch.

So the bills start rolling in ... $8k here, $7.5k there, another $1k over there, then another $1400 there ... and so on.

NOW you here the words "If you spend another cent on that F***** car, I'm divorcing you".

At which point you should be thinking ... No ... I can't lose my wife and kids" ... but instead the delusional voice in your head says "Don't let her do that ... she'll make you sell the car so she can get half."

We really are a sick bunch of a-holes aren't we

But it is SOOOO worth it man! DO IT ... One day you'll thank me from your bachelor pad with its impressive man cave!
732rwhp 644 rwtq 2011 Inferno Orange 2SS, STRUT 22" Icon5 Rims & Grille Kit, Mahle Pistons, Manley H-Beam Rods, Competition Valve Grind, Custom CMS Grind Comp Cam, Comp Cams Valve Springs, ARP Bolts, Melling HV Oil Pump, Whipple SC, 3.5" Pulley, 8 Rib Pulley Kit, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Balancer, 1" 7/8 Stainless LT Headers & 3" Exhaust, ADM Twin Fuel Pump Kit, 80lb/hr FIC Billet Tip Injectors, RX Monster Catch Can, Cold Air Inductions Intake, ADM Race Scoop, Mantic 9000 Series Clutch, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs. Motor built by PFAFF Engines. Fitted & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #52
Boost6924

Drives: 2SS/RS
Mine is at 1040RWHP with pump gas. My wife drives it to grocery store.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #53
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
Looks like you said in the beginning.....you got many different opinions. I drive mine 50/50....50% easy driving and 50% of the time out is hard driving and track time. I am having traction issues at my RWHP so if I add more it would be usless unless I start dumping $$$ into the rear end set-up.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #54
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I always knew I wanted a supercharger on this car. I didn't get too caught up with HP numbers. The blower went on and I'm at about 500 rwhp. It sees the track occasionally, but it's mainly just a street car. With drag radials, it'll run 11's. My best on the stock tires was 12.06. To be honest, even when it was stock, it really couldn't be driven to it's full potential on the streets. It was adequate then. It's more than adequate now, and the only time I can really get on it is freeway on-ramps and long stretches of road when no one is around. At this point, even with new, fatter tires, the car is still traction limited. There's really no point in more power that I can't put to the ground without more upgrades.

I'm sure 700 or 800 HP would be fun, but that's just absolutely ridiculous for the streets. I think it's more about bragging rights than anything else.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #55
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
I disagree. When I go out to play on the street the other cars are pushing 900-1100rwhp. A 500-700rwhp isn't even in the ballpark unless it weighs 2200lbs or less.

750rwhp is a good place for a 5th gen.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #56
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I disagree. When I go out to play on the street the other cars are pushing 900-1100rwhp. A 500-700rwhp isn't even in the ballpark unless it weighs 2200lbs or less.

750rwhp is a good place for a 5th gen.
I don't see how you can legally play on the streets with 1000 HP. Are all these cars driving around on drag radials or slicks? I'd imagine getting all that power to the ground would be quite a challenge.

Speed limits aside, I imagine it would make for some fun times

Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #57
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Would not want the hassell of anything with that much power over 700 to modify other parts
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #58
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
It has nothing to do with need but it sure is fun. I'm not sure why you would have to answer questions about something that makes you happy. When your wife asks if you really need a 600 hp car, ask her how she would feel if you asked her if she really needs a husband.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #59
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
forget the LS3 conversion...stick with a VVT cam.
over 600whp is fun for sure. It gets a bit different in the rain or loose stuff on road surface...you just have to respect the pedal. I would say it is no where near the limits of a street car. Maybe 700 like ADM has said...its all in power-weight ratio. You put a 600+whp LS motor in a vette you are on the cusp of rediculous...but in madness is excitement!

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (57x/53x at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #60
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
The best way I've heard it said is, "supercharging makes the car the way it should have been from the factory".
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #61
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
The best way I've heard it said is, "supercharging makes the car the way it should have been from the factory".
Definitely

Just doing a gear swap makes a nice difference, too.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #62
motor389

Drives: 642 HP Supercharged 2010 RS/SS
Everyone can agree on this 450-500 Nice 501-550 Real Nice 551 -599 Super!!!! 600-? PRICELESS. !!!!!!!
motor389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #63
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Yes drag radials, but drag radials these days last awhile and hook pretty good.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #64
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
When I bought the car, I knew it would get a bunch of my go fast work on it.
Been saving, and planning, and being a good boy. Work on cars all the time, so I know the value of doing it right.
The turbos and stuff have been in the shop for almost a year. I'm shooting for 600whp on my buddy's dyno, so double current power basically.
It's time. The car doesn't give me much of a rush at any speed anymore.
I still love it, but I need the rush. It's a heavy car. I think they are fun around 450whp(driven 2 at that power) and I'm hoping 600whp will be a little bonkers.
I'm assuming with my boost controller I can turn it as low as 475who or so on the springs. Only drive the car about 5 months a year, 3 months of which almost daily.
Glad you pulled the trigger. Have fun. Hopefully you don't get jaded as fast as most...
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Twin Mini's...soon
Permagrin...Always
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #65
Bo White
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
I'm at 570/520 at 9.6lbs and they guys at work ask me what its like to drive it and I tell them its simple:
You know when your driving around a near stock v8 car right after it rains and you can break the tires loose at will and think how cool it would be if you could do it when its dry out? There you go......
I will say that it doesn't do so hot with the gas needle though lol.
I will be doing a cam swap and ported heads this winter to help me reach 650.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #66
Franklin813
Glumker

Drives: Silver 2010 2ss/rs
775 rwhp and drive it everyday. I love it.
Attached Images

Franklin813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #67
Franklin813
Glumker

East coast supercharger!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #68
Franklin813
Glumker

Florida speed and power!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #69
the rich dude

Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
What's done to your car franklin813???

How fast has it gone? Looks like Killer car
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #70
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible Triple Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
I always knew I wanted a supercharger on this car. I didn't get too caught up with HP numbers. The blower went on and I'm at about 500 rwhp. It sees the track occasionally, but it's mainly just a street car. With drag radials, it'll run 11's. My best on the stock tires was 12.06. To be honest, even when it was stock, it really couldn't be driven to it's full potential on the streets. It was adequate then. It's more than adequate now, and the only time I can really get on it is freeway on-ramps and long stretches of road when no one is around. At this point, even with new, fatter tires, the car is still traction limited. There's really no point in more power that I can't put to the ground without more upgrades.

I'm sure 700 or 800 HP would be fun, but that's just absolutely ridiculous for the streets. I think it's more about bragging rights than anything else.
Totally agree. My good friends 2012 stock Turbo S Porsche crushes 800rwhp Camaro's, factory ZR1 Corvettes, etc. with a little 3.8L 530hp 516tq AWD car with a lighting fast PDK trans on factory street tires. There is no substitute for weight and an AWD system with a great trans. Around here there are so many Turbo S's, GTR's, Aventadors, Superleggeras, etc. and there is no chance for overweight, high horsepower Camaro's compared to these cars. Beating a Mustang or Challenger is nothing to get excited about compared to the killer machines that run the streets around here with street tires and can drive safely anywhere. If the power can't get to the ground it is worthless. I am not going to drive around with drag radials/slicks when we have some of the best canyon and ocean drives around.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #71
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
Totally agree. My good friends 2012 stock Turbo S Porsche crushes 800rwhp Camaro's, factory ZR1 Corvettes, etc. with a little 3.8L 530hp 516tq AWD car with a lighting fast PDK trans on factory street tires. There is no substitute for weight and an AWD system with a great trans. Around here there are so many Turbo S's, GTR's, Aventadors, Superleggeras, etc. and there is no chance for overweight, high horsepower Camaro's compared to these cars. Beating a Mustang or Challenger is nothing to get excited about compared to the killer machines that run the streets around here with street tires and can drive safely anywhere. If the power can't get to the ground it is worthless. I am not going to drive around with drag radials/slicks when we have some of the best canyon and ocean drives around.
Yeah but how.much is that turbo S just curious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #72
Bo White
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Prime example is what happened to me yesterday of why we want more.
I was in the turn lane leaving town to get on the on ramp and the light catches me. Had some Harleys behind me with some older guys on them and at first thought they may start to get upset with me for not shooting the gap. I hate people that run red lights so if I can stop easily I stop.
So I'm sitting there first at the light with Harleys loping away behind me(I have the windows down) and the light is fairly long. I hear a couple of them talking to each other about my car so I just sit and listen lol. A couple of seconds later the lead guy pulls up beside me.
"Does it run good?"
"Yeah, sure." I say.
"Well go ahead when the light turns tear it up getting on the ramp we will be right behind ya!"
OK. Were is my ACDC CD when I need it.....
Light turns green and I go and turn. Once I get straight I lay 520lbft of torque to the 265/35-22 Coopers......
I'm at about 25mph when I drop the hammer and I instantly hit the limiter(oops). I shift second and still blow the tires off and shift on into third and get some traction at around 60-70mph. Perfect merging speed onto the Mexican turnpike. I set the cruise and a few minutes later the bikers catch up to me and pass me. I get a salute ovation and thumbs up from them all. Hell, I would have liked to have seen it myself lol.
Anyway......had to share.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #73
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
Yeah but how.much is that turbo S just curious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Looks like those turbo S cars will hit 60 in under 3 secs and do the quarter in the 10 second range. That's pretty nice performance for a street car, but they'll also run you around $180K.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #74
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Convertible Triple Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Looks like those turbo S cars will hit 60 in under 3 secs and do the quarter in the 10 second range. That's pretty nice performance for a street car, but they'll also run you around $180K.
You are exactly right about the performance and the price E.T. My friends car had a $175k msrp but, he picked up at the end of the year for $142k. There is a definite difference in price, but like they say on this forum, you got to pay to play. That said, regardless of price, the Camaro is a super value and a great looking, fun car that can be made to handle and perform fairly competitively. E.T. you are running 12 flat with street tires which is pretty impressive. I want a TVS2300 also. Love the Camaro.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #75
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS PANTHER View Post
You are exactly right about the performance and the price E.T. My friends car had a $175k msrp but, he picked up at the end of the year for $142k. There is a definite difference in price, but like they say on this forum, you got to pay to play. That said, regardless of price, the Camaro is a super value and a great looking, fun car that can be made to handle and perform fairly competitively. E.T. you are running 12 flat with street tires which is pretty impressive. I want a TVS2300 also. Love the Camaro.
Even though your buddy's Porsche is fast as hell, at least you can poke a little fun at him that it's only a V6, hehe. I'm sure it sounds sick, but it's still hard to beat that good old V8 rumble.

You'll love the TVS if you end up going for it. It totally changes the car (in a good way).