Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 03-14-2008, 04:30 PM   #103
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikecar View Post
For a powerful car, I didn't notice the engine at all. When I first saw the cars, I saw the white one next to me at a light with the Tahoe behind it, when they turned into the street where they were staying.

i had my windows down and I didn't notice any major noise. Thinking back on it, the thing was pretty quiet. it had some purr when it turned, but I found it was quiet. Maybe I'm going deaf!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Must be the V6!
V6 with cylinder deactivation?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #104
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^That's exactly what crossed my mind.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #105
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
V6 with cylinder deactivation?
Would fit the description of "forget everything you know about engines"? I remember when I first started following the new Camaro there was talk of both a v6 and a v8 doing this? Could it really be happening?
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #106
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I hope not, LOL!
"...What IS true: We anticipated that this would happen - we are never finished - and yes, Ford DOES deserve to win now and then. To think that GM can come out with a car to make ford throw in the towel is simply foolhardy..." - fbodfather
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #107
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflmao View Post
Would fit the description of "forget everything you know about engines"? I remember when I first started following the new Camaro there was talk of both a v6 and a v8 doing this? Could it really be happening?
I sure hope so! Personally, when I do get the V8, I hope it has everything....active fuel management or cylinder deactivation, VVT, E85 capability, etc, etc, etc. I want every gas saving deal they can put on the engine. I am MORE than willing to sacrifice a little rumble on the HWY to save gas. And, even more so, I would rather have a quieter ride IN the cabin w/ the windows up. I've had loud cars for so long. It's nice to get into a car and actually be able to have a conversation w/ the person sitting next to w/out having to shout.

I'm all for it. Cut off 4 of my cylinders on the HWY...COOL BY ME!!! Don't forget, when you punch that accelerator, all 8 (or 6) kick right back in within the blink of an eye...>VROOOOM!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #108
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I hope not, LOL!
HUH!

You don't want that? Of course I have to be able to turn it off...

Inner monolague: "mmmmm aw damn. so if I couldn't turn cylinder deactiviation off would I still want it?"

I don't think so....:(
Old 03-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #109
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
.... It's nice to get into a car and actually be able to have a conversation w/ the person sitting next to w/out having to shout.

+1

I'm all for it. Cut off 4 of my cylinders on the HWY...COOL BY ME!!! Don't forget, when you punch that accelerator, all 8 (or 6) kick right back in within the blink of an eye...>VROOOOM!
So, you mean to say that if I'm at a stop light and I think I may NEEEED to romp the throttle, a little blip of the pedal will bring all eight back to life?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #110
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2009 Silverado and 2007 Cobalt SS
Quote:
So, you mean to say that if I'm at a stop light and I think I may NEEEED to romp the throttle, a little blip of the pedal will bring all eight back to life?
Yes, I got to drive one of the Silverado's with AFM and I couldn't tell when it was running on 4 cylinders.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #111
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Quote:
Thats the whole idea behind the deactivation process. All 8 are available, its just at speeds such as highway cruising when all 8 are not needed to maintain speed that they get shut off to save gas. If I remember correctly Cadillac had an engine like this that didn't work out, but talks of it being redone to work incredibly were drifting around the Camaro. Its all done by a computer to maximize efficiency. I'm with Tag in thinking that could be INCREDIBLE for the Camaro. I had actually thought the whole idea was gone with all the engine speculation... but this gets my hopes back up. A v8 getting over 30mpg and still having 400 horses.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #112
Craig

Drives: '01 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91t/a View Post
ya I AGREE...it looks kinda tall or something, and maybe its just the white...but i still love it!!!
i check this every morning and its made my day three times this week seeing these new shots!!!
I think it's more a case of the car (at least in the rearview shots) appearing to be significantly narrower than the concepts, as opposed to looking taller.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:30 PM   #113
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
Caddy tried it years ago when computer technology wasn't as good.
It will work fine now. I'm happy to hear it's included.
400 + hp and not too bad of mileage on the highway? Awesome.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #114
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog78 View Post
Caddy tried it years ago when computer technology wasn't as good.
It will work fine now. I'm happy to hear it's included.
400 + hp and not too bad of mileage on the highway? Awesome.
I think this is all speculation unless I am missing something? So it might not be included.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:54 PM   #115
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
I do not understand why they changed the location of the gas filler line...it should have remained on top as the concept car showed...the mirrors were switched...they r doing alot to minimize the overall appearance package...
Hey Mike Welcome to the Forum, You should know since you own a Sky also, that the production car does differ from the concept just as it did with the Solstice concept and the production Solstice. The differences were subtle, but there are differences.
The white Camaro here is probably A V-6 as stated before, and it would look like a minimized version of the concept. I bet when the top of the line car comes out you will be more pleased with the appearance.

I for one would love to own a new Camaro when they come out. but unless I want to work till I am 70 I will just have to keep my Sky and enjoy looking at others enjoying their Camaros.

keep Flying High in your Sky Mike!!!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #116
therealkitt
5th Gen Camaro Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to therealkitt Send a message via Yahoo to therealkitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianne View Post
I would like to take this opportunity to invite GM to test drive here in the D.C. area. We could complete incredible research on:
Sitting in traffice for extending periods of time.
Split second reaction time driving around foreigners with diplomatic immunity from anything they do.
Split second reaction time from missing cones, barrels and flashing warning signs that are haphazardly placed by people who don't read and in a lot of cases don't understand english.
D.C. is also a great place to test "parking in difficult places"

excellent points! i'm from DC and also use to courier there! you hit the nail on the head...especially the diplomats who are immune to all the laws!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
I think it's more a case of the car (at least in the rearview shots) appearing to be significantly narrower than the concepts, as opposed to looking taller.

i agree with this too! i'm not liking how narrow it has become. i thought it was just me or something. it mos def looks quite a bit more narrow in all the recent pics since Jan 08 that I've seen in here.

i really prefer the wider look... looks more like a true "hugger" of the road like that.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #117
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkitt View Post
i agree with this too! i'm not liking how narrow it has become. i thought it was just me or something. it mos def looks quite a bit more narrow in all the recent pics since Jan 08 that I've seen in here.

i really prefer the wider look... looks more like a true "hugger" of the road like that.
I think it has something to do with the mirror angle, side mirrors always make things look weird. It looks almost as wide as that cargo van right next to it, thats pretty decent width.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #118
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2009 Silverado and 2007 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkitt View Post

I am not going to judge the width until I see one parked next to a new Mustang.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #119
eR1c

Drives: 1977 Porsche 930 Turbo
I know we are all a bit car crazy, yet do other drivers take notice when they see this car on the road? Do they wonder what kind of car this is? Just wondering what peoples reactions are (besides those of us who are into this car).

on the width issue, I tend to agree that it looks a bit narrow, yet wonder if lowering the car an inch would help make it appear wider?
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote