Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ModBargains
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #26
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
One more thing for your list...

9) Move further south, don't worry about the weather, drive your car year round and enjoy!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #27
JGS

Drives: 2011 victory red 2SS
thanks everyone for their input. I will add a set of jumper cables just in case; I have full coverage insurance, and also, I just obtained a CAR2GO membership so I can move around every time there is a heavy snowstorm so I can leave the SS at home. Next time I'll consider moving somewhere south haha, it will make having a camaro more enjoyable, however I always enjoy it no matter what.
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #28
JGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarbrit View Post
Are you the red ss with black stripes who followed me yesterday on Crowchild for a bit?

I drove mine last winter on blizzaks and had no issues. Actually, I found the car quite fun to drive. Mines a 2SS as well, and it handled the snow amazingly. There were a couple of times I got caught in storms, got off deerfoot and took slower routes as the roads were very icy and I would lose traction. If you drive it according to conditions, you'll be fine. It's other drivers I'd worry about, but knock on wood, I've never had a winter accident!

Your list sounds awesome, you are well prepared!
I dont think so, mine is red but with grey stripes, but I think I saw that red camaro with black stripes too and blacked out rear end side of the trunk ? I was on crowchild yesterday when I saw it and again on 17th. On the other hand, Im glad to hear it handled well. I drove mine every time the streets were clear over the winter , but with a set of winter tires It will be more safe if there is some snow.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #29
JGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
It sounds like you are more than prepared! I say just relax and go easy on the loud pedal.

I drove mine last winter and I will be again this year. I have blizzaks, steelies, and weathertech mats. I should probably look into rust protection. I googled Crown which you mentioned, but they don't have them in the US.

Can anybody recommend any good rust inhibitors? Anybody use Ziebart?
I did some research and I like krown so far mainly because is affordable and their reviews, too sad nobody in your area can apply it, but im pretty sure there should be something else around. You can also try the electronic rust inhibitors. its a bit out of my budget and also it doesn't has very good reviews, but here is the link.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Pretty good list! Are you automatic or manual? If automatic don't drive in sport mode but do use manual tap shift to get better control of take offs & to help with decellerations without so much use of brakes. These cars do pretty well in winter as long as you have the right tires & drive with some common sense.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 650 HP Forged Internals-549 HP rear
OP- Your list is missing a few bottles of Jack just in case you get stranded in heavy snowfall.

All kidding aside, better grab some flares and stash some cold weather gear.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
CurtiSSWatson

Drives: Black SS
Two SS' on factory 20 inch Pirellis. North Dakota is completely flat, so snow driving is CAKE
Attached Images

CurtiSSWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #33
JR 1

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGS View Post
I did some research and I like krown so far mainly because is affordable and their reviews, too sad nobody in your area can apply it, but im pretty sure there should be something else around. You can also try the electronic rust inhibitors. its a bit out of my budget and also it doesn't has very good reviews, but here is the link.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Thanks for the link. I'm a bit skeptical of how well the electronic inhibitors work. Krown sounds like a good deal, but I would have to go to Canada! Actually, the closest one is less than 40 miles from here since I'm not far from the border. I will still rather go somewhere local though.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #34
Evil-Bee-NH
WEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LS
20"s with snow tires should be alright i'd go safer and get the 18's though but thats just my experience as with everyone else saying drive with caution and common sense thats by far the best advice you'll get.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #35
JR 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
20"s with snow tires should be alright i'd go safer and get the 18's though but thats just my experience as with everyone else saying drive with caution and common sense thats by far the best advice you'll get.
I agree! I go with 18 inch steelies and snow tires in the winter. Aluminum wheels and salt don't mix! Or chrome and salt, or steel and salt, or paint and salt, or carpet and salt...

Maybe it's time to move south!
Old 09-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #36
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
I dont think so, mine is red but with grey stripes, but I think I saw that red camaro with black stripes too and blacked out rear end side of the trunk ? I was on crowchild yesterday when I saw it and again on 17th. On the other hand, Im glad to hear it handled well. I drove mine every time the streets were clear over the winter , but with a set of winter tires It will be more safe if there is some snow.
I didn't see the back end, but it was a woman driver. She pulled in behind me to take the ramp onto Glenmore around 4:30, then beside me until we went separate ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I agree! I go with 18 inch steelies and snow tires in the winter. Aluminum wheels and salt don't mix! Or chrome and salt, or steel and salt, or paint and salt, or carpet and salt...

Maybe it's time to move south!
Can't put 18's on the SS due to the Brembos. I have 19's all around. Mine's a manual and its easy enough to slow the car down without brakes, but have to be careful gearing down at high rpm's if roads are icy.

BTW, I'm a lady driver too and had no problems winter driving. The back end will slide out around corners if you are going too fast, but the TC kicks in. Depending on where I was - I'd turn mine off for a little extra fun... Made me giggle every time. Some may feel you are crazy for driving it, but honestly, its reliable, heavy and just as fun in the winter as summer.

The only time I wouldn't drive mine is when the snow got too deep in our culdesac. Not using my splitter as a plow!! The pic is coming home from work....

smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #37
Meltdownaverted
I sell Camaro's

Drives: traded 11 2SS RS SGM for 13 SS 1LE
I drove my old SS around Calgary for 3 winters with no issues the only thing I might add to that list it to pick up the window chip stickers from a glass shop, if you get any window chips in the winter you can stick these on till you get it repaired as you really don't want a cracked windshield a $900 a pop.

The Blizzaks and 3M are a must and the splash guards are nice, put in the weathertech floor mats and you'll be great
Old 09-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #38
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
What is this snow you speak of?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #39
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Winter already? Hell, it's 96 degrees outside!
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #40
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT
Driving in the snow is white knuckle fun.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #41
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Black
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
Quote:
Okay, so this will be my first winter in Canada driving my camaro. Its against my hopes, but last winter my winter beater ended up beating up my wallet between repairs and insurance; therefore I will be driving my reliable, under warranty, 2011 camaro 2SS in the winter and here is the list of what I gathered so far.

1) Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-60 245/45/20 all around on stock rims (I will get a new set of tires and rims for next summer maybe some 21's)

2) ZL1 Splash guards from RPI designs to protect from gravel and debris on the roads (I have ground effects package installed) (haven't installed guards yet, just ordered them)

3) Plat-Lust (paint protection and seats protection) / Rust undercarriage protection. [Dealer Installed/ applied ]

4) 3M Clear Film protection to full bumper, head lamps, fog lamps, side mirrors, edge of doors, and gills.

5) Winter mats

6) Krown rust inhibitor will be applied in october.

7) Shovel and anti scratch snow brush in trunk

8) total plus extended warranty from dealership (60months/120K)

Thats it pretty much what I got. Am I missing something ? Any advice for driving your camaro in the winter ?

Thanks!!
It seems that you have covered everything. Have you considered a good wax and sealant?
I took a slightly different route and purchased Bridgestone Blizzaks DM-V1s 275/40/20s riding on Bravado Americana IIs all around.
Attached Images

IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #42
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
I drove my car in the snow last year without too many issues. The torque is a killer but as long as you know how to drive RWD in snow you will be okay. Here is a picture of my car in 3.5-4" of snow last year....
This is a great pictures ... One of my favorites so far!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #43
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Black
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarbrit View Post
I didn't see the back end, but it was a woman driver. She pulled in behind me to take the ramp onto Glenmore around 4:30, then beside me until we went separate ways.

Can't put 18's on the SS due to the Brembos. I have 19's all around. Mine's a manual and its easy enough to slow the car down without brakes, but have to be careful gearing down at high rpm's if roads are icy.

BTW, I'm a lady driver too and had no problems winter driving. The back end will slide out around corners if you are going too fast, but the TC kicks in. Depending on where I was - I'd turn mine off for a little extra fun... Made me giggle every time. Some may feel you are crazy for driving it, but honestly, its reliable, heavy and just as fun in the winter as summer.

The only time I wouldn't drive mine is when the snow got too deep in our culdesac. Not using my splitter as a plow!! The pic is coming home from work....

Good for you! I, too, am a lady driver who travels through the already snow covered Sierra Nevada mountains via Interstate 80. This thoroughfare is not for the faint of heart; but my SS gets me where I want to go. I carry a shovel to get off my block, rather than wait on the snow plow.
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #44
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Your good to go, Dont let these people fool you or make you feel bad about driving in the winter , 1st off these cars are tanks in the snow 8-10 inches is no problem, The smartest thing you did was buy snow tires . You will have a blast all winter .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #45
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
Don't park on the street where sand or salt trucks fling out millions of paint-killing projectiles!
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #46
Camaro_Firebird

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS black 6 speed
I have a 2010 SS and have driven it in the snow.... not good. Tires are too wide and you may get stuck in a parking lot trying to back out. Buy a winter car.
Camaro_Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #47
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Firebird View Post
I have a 2010 SS and have driven it in the snow.... not good. Tires are too wide and you may get stuck in a parking lot trying to back out. Buy a winter car.
It's not that the tires are too wide... stock SS tires are summer only and are plain dangerous to drive in anything more than a dusting of snow. I tried driving in about 10cm (4") of snow on the stock tires and did not do well... my neighbour had to push me back into my driveway.

To the guy posting from Michigan who is considering coming to Ontario for Krown rust proofing I would say go for it. They have a very good warranty and stand behind their product.

OP correct me if I'm wrong but in Alberta they use sand and stone instead of salt. So you've got a different set of problems with stone chips and windshield cracking but corrosion isn't what it is here in Ontario. Drive safe and you'll be fine

Last edited by detamble13; 09-26-2013 at 10:56 AM.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #48
JR 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Firebird View Post
Yes, wide tires are bad for snow (in addition to performance tires). You want narrow tires to sink down into the snow and maximize the force over area. That's one of the reasons I put my snow tires on 18 inch steelies instead of getting snow tires for the 20 RS wheels. I know the steelies won't fit over the SS Brembos, but I'm sure there are other options for SS folks.

The right tires make all the difference in the world. I bought my car in the middle of the winter (year end deal) and I couldn't even get it in the driveway with RS wheels and tires. Now that it has Blizzaks and more narrow wheels it handles great in the snow. The only time you even notice it's rear wheel drive is when accelerating a bit too fast around a corner. It accelerates off the line with no fishtailing and handles deep snow without any problems.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #49
nvofevery1

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS 6 Sp Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Winter cannot come soon enough for us Floridians!
True statement!!

And don't waste your SS Camaro in the Winter! Spend 5 grand, get an old reliable 4Runner and you're g2g!

nvofevery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #50
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Proper Camaro Winter Check List:

(1) Beater Car ( )
(2) Park Camaro in garage ( )
(3) Change Oil ( )
(4) Car Cover ( )

haha