Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
ZekeZeke14
so nice, you say it twice
 
ZekeZeke14's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT CGM/Matte Black
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orono, ME
Posts: 160
What's the loudest v6 can get?

Hey everybody,

I've had my Camaro 2LT for about 3 years now and I'm thinking it's finally time to do something about the exhaust. I'm still young (mid 20s), so naturally, I want to get my exhaust LOUD!

What is the best combo to do that? Like, I'm talking insanely loud. Let's scare some small children when I rev. My budget is about $2000, what do you suggest?
__________________
ZekeZeke14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,783
If you want loud, you don't even have to spend half your budget. Just chop the mufflers off. That'll be loud. If you want loudest you can get, remove the cats, remove the resonators, and remove the mufflers and that'd be the loudest the car can get. Long tube headers with no cats will probably make it louder but will require a tune so I wouldn't do that route unless u want the power. But just so you know, if you do all that, the car is going to be amazingly loud but it's also going to rasp like none other.
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Sikoriko

 
Sikoriko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,386
If your neighbors don't care, just wear ear plugs
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
Lil' Nasty's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged V6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,062
Agreed with LS, love my set up. MRT V1's, BBK long tube headers w/ no cats
__________________
Lil' Nasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
BenningJ

 
BenningJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cedar Falls, Iowa
Posts: 1,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
Agreed with LS, love my set up. MRT V1's, BBK long tube headers w/ no cats
I think this will be your best bet. The MRT v1.0s are loud to begin with add in some LT headers (BBKs are nice) and you will definitely start to piss some people off. Good luck.
__________________
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
ryanb910
 
Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 342
I have the Flowmaster American Thunder axle back, BBK Headers and a magnaflow x pipe and my boss who lives on the next street says I wake him up some mornings leaving for work.
__________________
Just a few mods...
ryanb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #7
mc_acoustic

 
Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Earth
Posts: 824
I run bbk long tube headers/hi flow cats and MRT 1.

And trust me, its loud that I can full throttle it and my buddy who loves 10 blocks away can hear it lol
__________________
2010 Camaro Synergy Green Edition V6/A6: Cold Air Inductions Intake, Trifecta tune, BBK long tube headers and Hi flow cats, MRT V1, Ported Throttle Body, Stage 4 Ported Intake Manifold (MACE), Black Ice-olator Intake Manifold Spacer, Plenum Spacer, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous.
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101
 
rtcat600man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
Posts: 7,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
Agreed with LS, love my set up. MRT V1's, BBK long tube headers w/ no cats
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
I think this will be your best bet. The MRT v1.0s are loud to begin with add in some LT headers (BBKs are nice) and you will definitely start to piss some people off. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_acoustic View Post
I run bbk long tube headers/hi flow cats and MRT 1.

And trust me, its loud that I can full throttle it and my buddy who loves 10 blocks away can hear it lol


These combos of LT headers, no cats, and using MRT 1.0's for sure will be load and RASP even louder. May even get the attention of some officers, and maybe a noise ticket too.

Good luck, might want to check out the sound exhaust thread for some great ideas.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33104
__________________
rtcat600man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Botoasy
 
Botoasy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS Auto
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Blackwood, New Jersey
Posts: 411
This is my setup, I am told it is effin loud

__________________
Current Mods: BBK Longtube Headers with Hi Flow Cats, BBK CAI, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Magnaflow X-pipe and Resonators, Ported TB, Mace Ported IM and Spacer,Trifecta Tune, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis front and rear sway bars.

My Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272765
Botoasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
ben3350
 
ben3350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 463
Agree with many of the posters, you will get LOUD from those options. Although you will also get tons of rasp as well. Doing a muffler delete or just cutting pipes may be loud, but it could also sound crappy loud. Not that anyone's here sounds bad, but the possibility of it sounding not how you like it increases.

For the v6, the best exhaust is the ARK N-II catback. It's a stainless steel exhaust and its LOUD but also sounds amazing. It's incredibly aggressive and very little to no rasp.

I have it installed in my 2LT and its just beautiful. It's already loud enough to wake the neighbors but if you want to take it to an insane level, add some BBK headers to it. The N-II is not cheap because its stainless steel and you get what you pay for, but it is still well within your budget even if you get headers with it as well.

Last edited by ben3350; 09-11-2013 at 10:08 PM.
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
Lil' Nasty's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged V6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,062
My set up isn't crappy loud just to clarify....
__________________
Lil' Nasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
ben3350
 
ben3350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
My set up isn't crappy loud just to clarify....
Sorry, I meant in general I wasn't saying anyone specifically had a crappy loud exhaust. (i've edited the post because I realized I may have come off like a jackass.)

Plus you have the MRT which sounds great.

I'm just saying cutting pipes or getting a muffler delete may get you loud but you may not like the sound it makes.
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #13
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
Lil' Nasty's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged V6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3350 View Post
Sorry, I meant in general I wasn't saying anyone specifically had a crappy loud exhaust. (i've edited the post because I realized I may have come off like a jackass.)

Plus you have the MRT which sounds great.

I'm just saying cutting pipes or getting a muffler delete may get you loud but you may not like the sound it makes.
All good Although it does have a little bit of rasp i will eventually address... not sure what i want to do with it just yet bc the resonated x- pipe cuts the rasp out but also cuts the volume in half.
__________________
Lil' Nasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
ben3350
 
ben3350's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
All good Although it does have a little bit of rasp i will eventually address... not sure what i want to do with it just yet bc the resonated x- pipe cuts the rasp out but also cuts the volume in half.
yeah I would take the bit of rasp over half the volume for sure. Resonators take all the fun away! It's hard to balance though.
ben3350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
ZekeZeke14
so nice, you say it twice
 
ZekeZeke14's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT CGM/Matte Black
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Orono, ME
Posts: 160
Thanks everybody. You all have some pretty great set ups. But I have a question, I really like the sound of the ARK N-11s, but kind of want to hear the sound of the muffler delete for myself in person before I make the $1200 purchase. Could I possibly get the delete first, then install the axle-backs later, just so I can hear how it sounds? Would anyone suggest that?
__________________
ZekeZeke14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,783
Yes you can definitely do that. If you want to hear the delete, I'd advise to just do the delete first and if you don't like it, get n2
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #17
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeZeke14 View Post
Thanks everybody. You all have some pretty great set ups. But I have a question, I really like the sound of the ARK N-11s, but kind of want to hear the sound of the muffler delete for myself in person before I make the $1200 purchase. Could I possibly get the delete first, then install the axle-backs later, just so I can hear how it sounds? Would anyone suggest that?
I'd suggest against a simple muffler delete. The delete may sound just fine at cold start up, idle, and cruising along at low rpms...but once you get on it its going to make you look silly. Thats my opinion.

You need something to balance that out. At the very least replace the stock H pipe with a Magnaflow resonated "X" dual in/out muffler (LOTS of us here are running them and love them). Part number 11386. Helps to eliminate the rasp, and helps with drone, and lowers the tone slightly.

If you want to have a slightly lower beefier sound, replace the rest of the pipe behind the magnaflow muffler with 2.5" pipe.

So far you are still way under your budget. If you really want to make that growl, purchase a set of OBX long tube headers ($350) and get a tune. That would be mean as hell.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
JDP Tyler

 
JDP Tyler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 6,414
I posted in your other thread, but I will post my response in here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36
So far the best around is BBK long tubes, magnaflow X pipe and MRT v2 exhaust...
I agree with this 100% If you go too far off from this combo you will have a raspy and awful sounding exhaust. You can make the V6 sound good and aggressive, but you have to go about it the right way. Feel free to call, PM or email me with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101
 
rtcat600man's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
Posts: 7,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'd suggest against a simple muffler delete. The delete may sound just fine at cold start up, idle, and cruising along at low rpms...but once you get on it its going to make you look silly. Thats my opinion.

You need something to balance that out. At the very least replace the stock H pipe with a Magnaflow resonated "X" dual in/out muffler (LOTS of us here are running them and love them). Part number 11386. Helps to eliminate the rasp, and helps with drone, and lowers the tone slightly.

If you want to have a slightly lower beefier sound, replace the rest of the pipe behind the magnaflow muffler with 2.5" pipe.

So far you are still way under your budget. If you really want to make that growl, purchase a set of OBX long tube headers ($350) and get a tune. That would be mean as hell.

As KMP points out GREAT sounding set-up

And as the post above says, LLT Headers Magnaflow X pipe and MRT 2.0's (best sounding set-up IMHO, but then again I am a little bias).






Originally Posted by Monchy36
So far the best around is BBK long tubes, magnaflow X pipe and MRT v2 exhaust...
Originally Posted by Monchy36
So far the best around is BBK long tubes, magnaflow X pipe and MRT v2 exhaust...
__________________
rtcat600man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
Warmachine.
 
Drives: Black
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Longview
Posts: 17
[QUOTE=rtcat600man;6997201]As KMP points out GREAT sounding set-up

And as the post above says, LLT Headers Magnaflow X pipe and MRT 2.0's (best sounding set-up IMHO, but then again I am a little bias).




you can achieve the same sound by just installing the long tubes, and you can cut major weight, my best friend did it and I see it a lot from our friends too , if your keeping the car , I don't think its good to just run the long tubes , but then again I think he is thinking of our dragsters longtubes .

when I mean just long tubes , I mean everything behind it deleted
Warmachine. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #21
Warmachine.
 
Drives: Black
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Longview
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
If you want loud, you don't even have to spend half your budget. Just chop the mufflers off. That'll be loud. If you want loudest you can get, remove the cats, remove the resonators, and remove the mufflers and that'd be the loudest the car can get. Long tube headers with no cats will probably make it louder but will require a tune so I wouldn't do that route unless u want the power. But just so you know, if you do all that, the car is going to be amazingly loud but it's also going to rasp like none other.
^ what he said seen from experience, he just forgot to mention he insulating tape they wrap around the headers lol
Warmachine. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #22
717Stunna
 
717Stunna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Slp Camaro ZL327
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 415
if you want loud get a honda with a pepboys fart can me i have bbk longtube headers and full magnaflow catback exhaust sounds great
717Stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #23
RJTV6A
 
Drives: 69 Camaro I6 no prob,11 V6 big prob
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 467
First off what's age have to do with it? I may be 50 but I still enjoy a loud street car.

My first exhaust swap was a simple bolt in LS3 cat back unit. While full throttle will infuriate the rasp gods. You can get them very reasonable and they are super easy to swap. I got mine FREE that's why I did this as a first easy swap.

Check the swap/sell exhaust section.

Also noticed fuel economy went from 23.4 up to 24.2 with the exhaust swap


2011 V6 Auto
RJTV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #24
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,783
Yea, the ls3 cat back will make it sound a little deeper and throatier
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #25
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by 717Stunna View Post
if you want loud get a honda with a pepboys fart can me i have bbk longtube headers and full magnaflow catback exhaust sounds great
I'd love to hear your setup.
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.