Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
parkermoeder
 
parkermoeder's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leawood KS
Posts: 218
why no CAI stock?

i was just wondering why a cold air intake doesnt come stock on a performance car like the camaro. if the claims are true that +15rwhp and +2-4 mpg(which i havent seen even close too) why wouldnt they put it on stock and post those claims? do they not pass smog or some stupid test in california or something. and i figure if they buy in bulk or make their own it wouldnt cost much either

edit: corrected spelling sorry on my phone
__________________
[2011 Camaro 2ss L99
-OEM Painted GFX
-Borla Atak axle back
-Stainless Power headers
-Cold Air Inductions Intake
-Blue oracle halos
-Satin black ZL1 replicas
-315 invos and other cosmetic mods
parkermoeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
menendez1293's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 9,205
Some intakes are not 50 state legal. But the reason they don't come on this car is simple. Cost.
__________________
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
parkermoeder
 
parkermoeder's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leawood KS
Posts: 218
but wouldnt most people not complain for the extra 15hp and maybe a $200 price on the car?
__________________
[2011 Camaro 2ss L99
-OEM Painted GFX
-Borla Atak axle back
-Stainless Power headers
-Cold Air Inductions Intake
-Blue oracle halos
-Satin black ZL1 replicas
-315 invos and other cosmetic mods
parkermoeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan
 
Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 3,825
Same reason the mailslot does nothing
__________________
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
intensifi

 
Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belmont, California
Posts: 1,431
I can't speak for emission laws around the country. But that is probably a contributing factor.

I note the new Z/28 has one.

The existing Zl1s have higher flow rate air filters (I know not quite the same thing).

There were proposed CAIs in the 2010 model year from GMPP that never materialized.

So given that GM is all about profit, maybe it isn't worth it for them to tool up for something like CAIs???

I also find it interesting that many of the aftermarket super car builders seem to leave the stock air box in place. Why do they do that?
__________________
Mods: GM Locking Gas Cap, RS License Plate Frame


Last edited by intensifi; 09-26-2013 at 12:20 PM.
intensifi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
menendez1293's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 9,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkermoeder View Post
but wouldnt most people not complain for the extra 15hp and maybe a $200 price on the car?
For someone that cares about performance probably wouldn't mind. But you have to realize that most of the population doesn't know what a CAI does.
__________________
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan
 
Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkermoeder View Post
but wouldnt most people not complain for the extra 15hp and maybe a $200 price on the car?

...and potentially not being able to register it?

But 'cost' in this case is not simply 'cost to the buyer'. It's cost to manufacture the vehicle. Each car model has to have a profitable Business Model in order to be put into production and brought to market. That's why you see commonality of parts in many GMs: a radio for example in some 2012 Chevies is the same as the one in my 2007 Pontiac. The radio was already designed and built and in stock. It was wise from a business model standpoint to use it in the 2012 Chevy.

GM doesn't care if you pay 200 bucks more. They care if the cost to bring the vehicle to market with a part like CAI included in the design reduces their profit margin from what they want to see as minimum return to something less than they feel is worthwhile.
__________________
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
parkermoeder
 
parkermoeder's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Leawood KS
Posts: 218
i was just thinking that they could of done it from the start and maybe wouldnt have cost as much to design and manufacture and if the price does jump up a bit so will the 440hp and 17 or 18 mpg in the city(just going off claims for differnt manufactors)
__________________
[2011 Camaro 2ss L99
-OEM Painted GFX
-Borla Atak axle back
-Stainless Power headers
-Cold Air Inductions Intake
-Blue oracle halos
-Satin black ZL1 replicas
-315 invos and other cosmetic mods
parkermoeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
karnov
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 84
Because CAIs are an aftermarket money making scam and the manufacturers know it. Numerous tests have been done that adding a CAI to an otherwise stock engine will provide nothing noticeably more than a sound difference. Unless your running cat-less on the track, a CAI is useless for performance.

That being said, the stock air-filters are junk and restrictive, but adding a high-flow filter in the stock air intake will net the same gains on an otherwise stock setup.
karnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
JDP Tyler

 
JDP Tyler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 6,794
Gives you something to upgrade and customize!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
JR 1

 
JR 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkermoeder View Post
i was just wondering why a cold air intake doesnt come stock on a performance car like the camaro. if the claims are true that +15rwhp and +2-4 mpg(which i havent seen even close too) why wouldnt they put it on stock and post those claims? do they not pass smog or some stupid test in california or something. and i figure if they buy in bulk or make their own it wouldnt cost much either

edit: corrected spelling sorry on my phone
In addition to legal requirements like emissions, there are a lot of internal GM requirements for air induction. There are obvious things like flow rate, but the primary purpose of the large factory air boxes are for noise reduction. There are also some pretty severe tests for water and snow ingestion which can be a problem with an exposed filter. Also, cost is a major factor.

To your point the Camaro is a performance car so in theory the requirements should be different than say a Malibu, but there are still a lot of people that buy Camaros that will drive them like Malibus and expect them to be quiet, durable, etc. In the end it's up to the program team that works on the Camaro to balance all the requirements.

Fbodfather?
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,034
Shelby Mustangs have them from the factory.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
JDP Tyler

 
JDP Tyler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 6,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
Because CAIs are an aftermarket money making scam and the manufacturers know it. Numerous tests have been done that adding a CAI to an otherwise stock engine will provide nothing more than a sound difference. Unless your running cat-less on the track, a CAI is useless for performance.

That being said, the stock air-filters are junk and restrictive, but adding a high-flow filter in the stock air intake will net the same gains on an otherwise stock setup.
This is absolutely not true.. On some cars i will agree, but these cars really like an intake system and have been proven to give roughly a 15 WHP gain. Not to mention they look great and sound a lot better.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
__________________

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Same reason the mailslot does nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
Because CAIs are an aftermarket money making scam and the manufacturers know it. Numerous tests have been done that adding a CAI to an otherwise stock engine will provide nothing noticeably more than a sound difference. Unless your running cat-less on the track, a CAI is useless for performance.

That being said, the stock air-filters are junk and restrictive, but adding a high-flow filter in the stock air intake will net the same gains on an otherwise stock setup.
Ummm...yeah, ok. Some are, indeed. Good ones actually do something. Read on.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
SnowyCamaro
 
SnowyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT / RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
That being said, the stock air-filters are junk and restrictive, but adding a high-flow filter in the stock air intake will net the same gains on an otherwise stock setup.

Partially this^ a high flow air filter can acheive the same small gains that some cai's would, and gm would make less money making a conical filter that is reusable. On top of that if the general public would have to do maintenance such as oil and clean their air filters, people wouldn't leading to warranty coverage costs adding up for gm on top of the losses from not selling a shitload of ac delco paper filters to everyone when they get their oil changed. Those paper filters have huge markup i would assume, cause a paper filter couldn't cost that much to manufacture. It all comes down to money in the end, every company cares about profits beyond everything else, if they didn't then they would be called a charity.
__________________
SnowyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 5,777
like previously stated...there is much more to it than "well we can get 15 more horsepower if we just but a different intake setup on it". hell if that were the case and thats how the engineers thought than there would be zero aftermarket because the motor would be totally maxed out from the factory. a lot goes into a production car...its more than just performance. and not everyone want to go faster. there's plenty of owners that will buy and own this car and leave it completly stock because they are very happy with the way it comes.

and lets be honest. if they put a cold air on it from the factory we would still change it out because someone would come out with a better design. it doesnt matter what they do at the factory.
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #17
karnov
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
like previously stated...there is much more to it than "well we can get 15 more horsepower if we just but a different intake setup on it". hell if that were the case and thats how the engineers thought than there would be zero aftermarket because the motor would be totally maxed out from the factory. a lot goes into a production car...its more than just performance. and not everyone want to go faster. there's plenty of owners that will buy and own this car and leave it completly stock because they are very happy with the way it comes.

and lets be honest. if they put a cold air on it from the factory we would still change it out because someone would come out with a better design. it doesnt matter what they do at the factory.
My thoughts exactly, but hey... to each his own.

Last edited by karnov; 09-26-2013 at 12:15 PM.
karnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 5,777
and thats why cars like the Z/28 and Shelby Mustangs will have a more performance oriented intake design. because they know the poeple that buy these cars are in it for the performance because thats the point of those cars.

and guess what...a lot of companies make aftermarket intakes for the GT500. so whats the point in developing one from the factory?
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #19
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,200
Look familiar?? This photo was taken at SEMA last year in the GM booth on a new Malibu. interesting to say the least. You never know, cold air intakes may be on factory vehicles sooner than we thought and it looks like they are being sourced from a company that many of us here on Camaro5 are already familiar with!
Attached Images
 
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #20
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!
 
chevyfan#1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 259
I remember seeing this thread awhile back and looked it up. This picture was taken in the GM booth at SEMA last year on a Malibu, the CAI looks like one from CAI Inc. to me, which makes me glad I chose them for my Camaro!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=sema+cai

**EDIT, CHASE JUST POSTED THE PIC FROM THE THREAD ABOVE LMAO **
chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #21
JR 1

 
JR 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Look familiar?? This photo was taken at SEMA last year in the GM booth on a new Malibu. interesting to say the least. You never know, cold air intakes may be on factory vehicles sooner than we thought and it looks like they are being sourced from a company that many of us here on Camaro5 are already familiar with!
On a Malibu of all things! Too funny.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
Apex Motorsports

 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 23,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
On a Malibu of all things! Too funny.
As I recall there were a few other vehicles in the GM booth rocking very similar intakes as well.
__________________
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #23
intensifi

 
Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belmont, California
Posts: 1,431
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Look familiar?? This photo was taken at SEMA last year in the GM booth on a new Malibu. interesting to say the least. You never know, cold air intakes may be on factory vehicles sooner than we thought and it looks like they are being sourced from a company that many of us here on Camaro5 are already familiar with!
Chase where is the air inlet duct for that? How big is it?
__________________
Mods: GM Locking Gas Cap, RS License Plate Frame

intensifi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
JR 1

 
JR 1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
As I recall there were a few other vehicles in the GM booth rocking very similar intakes as well.
I'd love to see it on future GM cars, but I just can't picture a Malibu owner that would care about this.

Camaro or Vette, absolutely

Sonic, probably

Impala or Cruze, why not

Malibu, not so much
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem
 
slick rick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Foothill Ranch, CA
Posts: 5,464
GM was planning on selling a GMPP CAI but it was never released.

Anyone know why?

http://www.chevroletperformance.com/...o_sitelet.html
Attached Images
 
__________________
slick rick is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.