Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #26
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I'd love to see it on future GM cars, but I just can't picture a Malibu owner that would care about this.

Camaro or Vette, absolutely

Sonic, probably

Impala or Cruze, why not

Malibu, not so much
It was some kind of a Malibu Turbo Performance Package they were showing off. I believe they had a Sonic and Cruze with similar intakes there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Chase where is the air inlet duct for that? How big is it?
I think those cars are fed through the side of the fender where the box is attached. A lot of trucks are like that.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #27
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnov View Post
Because CAIs are an aftermarket money making scam and the manufacturers know it. Numerous tests have been done that adding a CAI to an otherwise stock engine will provide nothing noticeably more than a sound difference. Unless your running cat-less on the track, a CAI is useless for performance.

That being said, the stock air-filters are junk and restrictive, but adding a high-flow filter in the stock air intake will net the same gains on an otherwise stock setup.
This is so full of fail, I don't know where to start. Oh yeah, SEARCH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
Partially this^ a high flow air filter can acheive the same small gains that some cai's would, and gm would make less money making a conical filter that is reusable. On top of that if the general public would have to do maintenance such as oil and clean their air filters, people wouldn't leading to warranty coverage costs adding up for gm on top of the losses from not selling a shitload of ac delco paper filters to everyone when they get their oil changed. Those paper filters have huge markup i would assume, cause a paper filter couldn't cost that much to manufacture. It all comes down to money in the end, every company cares about profits beyond everything else, if they didn't then they would be called a charity.
It's been shown on many occasions that a higher flowing filter does nothing for performance in this vehicle. Yes they do flow more on a flowbench but inside the OEM intake, it flows no better than OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
GM was planning on selling a GMPP CAI but it was never released.

Anyone know why?

http://www.chevroletperformance.com/...o_sitelet.html
Can you not see that this intake is EXACTLY like the OEM one, only it has a different finish on it. If you want this intake, paint the one that's on your car now and viola, you have a GMPP CAI. It wasn't released because not many people would pay for performance intake that doesn't add performance.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #28
RA1987

Drives: SS
C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A
RA1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #29
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS CAI Inc. CAI, Cam, Tune
[QUOTE=axis;7039239]This is so full of fail, I don't know where to start. QUOTE]

Try this for full of fail: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320019

Enjoy!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #30
Johnny@MTI

Drives: 99 ls1 miata
a CAI is louder than an air box. OEM's spend millions developing s air box that doesn't whistle, or chirp.
Johnny@MTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Can you not see that this intake is EXACTLY like the OEM one, only it has a different finish on it. If you want this intake, paint the one that's on your car now and viola, you have a GMPP CAI. It wasn't released because not many people would pay for performance intake that doesn't add performance.
Axis, the air tube is different.

Has anyone ever seen what one of these looked like inside? Maybe at SEMA or some other venue?

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
karnov

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
This is so full of fail, I don't know where to start. Oh yeah, SEARCH.
I have, and if anything you may see an actual gain of maybe 5 - 10 HP, but sometimes results have been a drop in HP. My point is that a 5 - 10 HP gain is negligible, you won't even feel it, and a stock setup will not benefit from it anymore than a drop-in high-flow filter would. IMO it is certainly not worth paying $400 - $500 for and an hour of my time installing it.

If I want "real" performance increase then I would opt for a header and high-flow cat swap to start, while still using the stock air-intake with a high-flow filter of course. Then if I still wanted to go further I would either do a Head and Cam swap or some sort of forced induction. Then, and maybe only then, would I do a CAI. But I wouldn't even do this without massive suspension, chassis bracing, and brake upgrade as well.

But before I paid for all that I would just buy a Z06 Corvette instead. This is probably Chevrolet's thinking as well, hence what the Op asked in the first place... is why Manufacturers do not put CAIs in stock cars.
karnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #33
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
I owned various GM products over the years long ago ('62 'vette, '69 SS396 Chevelle, '70-1/2 Z/28, '64 'vette coupe, '76 Trans Am). Then I switched to Mustangs ('96 Cobra, '01 Cobra, '08 GT500) when I disliked gen3 and gen4 Camaro styling. I still have those three Mustangs but have added a '13 IOM ZL1.

C&L and JLT CAIs are popular Mustang mods. Both increase airflow enough where a tune is required to avoid running lean and risking detonation.

But here it seems like everyone wants to avoid a tune for their Camaro and use something like a Rotofab that doesn't require one. Why is that? I can't believe its strictly that Mustang owners are okay with voiding their warranty and Camaro owners aren't.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #34
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
The wife's 2014 GT 5.0 has one from the factory....but it didn't help her against my SS the other nite
Old 09-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #35
fradaj

Drives: RS
If Chevrolet sold the CAI from the Z/28 in their performance catalog I might go for it.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
If Chevrolet sells the CAI from the Z/28 in their performance catalog I might go for it.
That's exactly what I've been thinking of doing.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #37
ZED SLED
a.k.a. mclark10

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2011 Equinox
Quote:
If Chevrolet sold the CAI from the Z/28 in their performance catalog I might go for it.
Wonder how many codes that would throw on a 3.6L or even a 6.2L for that matter, if you could even connect it?

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
JR 1

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
C&L and JLT CAIs are popular Mustang mods. Both increase airflow enough where a tune is required to avoid running lean and risking detonation.

But here it seems like everyone wants to avoid a tune for their Camaro and use something like a Rotofab that doesn't require one. Why is that? I can't believe its strictly that Mustang owners are okay with voiding their warranty and Camaro owners aren't.
Maybe Camaro owners are just smarter.

Seriously, voiding your warranty can cost you thousands. Is a few horsepower from an intake really worth that?
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #39
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Wonder how many codes that would throw on a 3.6L or even a 6.2L for that matter, if you could even connect it?
it looks like its in a similar location so if it doesnt bolt right up it probably wouldnt require much modification to work.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #40
Sales @ CAI Inc

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Seriously, voiding your warranty can cost you thousands. Is a few horsepower from an intake really worth that?
A CAI does not and cannot void your warranty. That is protected under a federal law called the Magnuson Moss Act. In fact, we actually have quite a few Chevrolet Dealerships that sell and install our products.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #41
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
That's exactly what I've been thinking of doing.
Why waste your money? It is STILL a stock intake. Yes, it's an open element style, but the tube still has ripples in it causing turbulence and unwanted power loss. Look at the GMPP ad someone already posted. GM wanted $450 for that abomination. It's a essentially stock box set-up painted chrome. Heck, GM would probably want $500-600 if they ever released the Z/28 set-up. You can do whatever you wish, but I'd rather buy an aftermarket unit, have better results and save some money.
MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (LS3)--K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST, HYPERTECH MAX ENERGY 93 OCTANE TUNE, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK 20x9 STYLE 41 WHEELS

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #42
AGM 1LE

Drives: like an ass hole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
A CAI does not and cannot void your warranty. That is protected under a federal law called the Magnuson Moss Act. In fact, we actually have quite a few Chevrolet Dealerships that sell and install our products.
But the tune will void it.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #43
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM 1LE View Post
Note: no tune is needed with CAI's CAI.

Yes, if you choose to do a tune, the tune itself will void your warranty.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #44
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Is CAI Inc willing to cover the cost of any and all repairs to all Camaro5 members who purchase your product based upon your warranty statement.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #45
JR 1

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGM 1LE View Post
Yeah I was referring to the tune mentioned by littlecammi, not the intake itself.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #46
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
It was some kind of a Malibu Turbo Performance Package they were showing off. I believe they had a Sonic and Cruze with similar intakes there.
You might be right about that info Chase, but the engine in the picture was of the 2.5 liter base engine, not the 2.0 liter turbo.

2014 SS Performance Sedan - Red Hot 2 - Black Leather. S/R. Full size spare.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #47
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
You might be right about that info Chase, but the engine in the picture was of the 2.5 liter base engine, not the 2.0 liter turbo.

Thats obviously a turbo motor...

note the differences.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #48
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
I've wondered the same thing about headers. Ford used to have shorty type headers on their fox body 5.0s back in the day while GM was still using log manifolds.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #49
wakespeak

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3/NPP
I have always thought that manufacturers error conservatively. The OEM intakes shield the intake manifold from vibration, are quiet, keep dirt out, and maintenance is straightforward. The tradeoff is 10-15 hp above 3500-4000 rpm.

The aftermarket for 4X4 Land Rover, Toyota, and others have CAIs that offer greater capacity but stand out because they filter better rising above the hood/roof into clean air and away from water. Not many owners need that capability however, so they are not OEM. Regular off road drivers think they should be.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #50
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Is CAI Inc willing to cover the cost of any and all repairs to all Camaro5 members who purchase your product based upon your warranty statement.
No, why would we spend money on fighting dealerships that are not familiar with the law?? I am simply stating a fact, voiding a vehicles warranty due to the sheer presence of any aftermarket part is against the law. We sell thousands of Camaro intakes a year and have never had a single issue brought to our attention concerning a warranty issue.

If a dealership does something illegal than the owner of the vehicle should seek legal advice. There has been documented cases in the past regarding this law where the owner of the vehicle has brought it to court and has won. Many dealerships simply use scare tactics and the fact that there are many consumers who are unfamiliar with the law to get out of paying for repairs by using an aftermarket mod as an excuse to "void" the warranty, even though they can't legally do so.

If you or anyone else have a dealer who is trying to get out of legitimate warranty covered work by saying a warranty is voided for the simple fact that an aftermarket part is on the vehicle, without them providing proof that the damage caused was because of that aftermarket part, I would suggest getting a different dealer or seeking legal counsel.

Last edited by Sales @ CAI Inc; 10-02-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote