Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing Discussions on mechanical maintenance and servicing of your Camaro

Old 07-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Mobil1 Feul saving 0w-30 OK?

Guys,
I could get a deal on 0w-30 Mobil1 Fuel Saving oil.
Mobil states it exceeds the warrany requirements of 5w & 10w-30 synthetics and saves gas and wants you to try it.
Anyone know if this is ok with GM?

Last edited by TooCool5; 07-13-2009 at 10:39 AM.
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I would not do it if I had a Camaro. Royal Purple 5 30w has the proper certifications and is superior to the Mobil1 one products.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

mobil1

I'm saying if I go with the GM recommended Mobil1 and 0w-30 exceeds the warranty requirements of 5w-30 is it OK with GM.
I'm not asking about other brands here - Please..
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
MajikMD

Drives: 2SS/RS, 6spd, IOM, blk hockey
I have some independent test data on about the top 12 or so synthetics and royal purple showed to be the WORST. They do a 4-ball wear ball test where they basically use a machine that rotate steel balls in a race (like a bearing race) under heavy load, high temps, and then measure the depth of the groove that is worn in the race. Royal Purple, in pretty much every test, was last place, and Mobil 1 wasn't much better. And we are talking noticable differences. The last place oil allowed the ball to wear a groove somewhere around 3 times deeper than the best-performing oil.

I'll dig out the test sheets and post them up here, but if I remember right, Amsoil was #1.
MajikMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
MajikMD

Oh, and Royal Purple uses a bunch of Moly in their oil - I think one of the only makers left that does this - it has a tendency to settle out of suspension (because moly is actually a solid particle like graphite), clog filters, etc.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
MajikMD

Name:  RD30_FourBall_400.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  22.7 KB

Here's that graph of selected synthetics in the 4-ball wear test. Note where royal purple finishes...
Old 07-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Vash

Yea but Amsoil lacks all the certifications. I don't know about those other lubes.

And as far as the graph I would not put so much into that without knowing the source. Without the heat cycles the lube is just tested at room temp probably. But I have seen the timken race bearing test, which is also fresh lube at room temp, and RP did very good.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #8
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
That sure does look like Amsoil marketing data... notice how the Amsoil is highlighted.

I wouldn't trust marketing data. Use engineering data.

and..... the OP is not wanting a different brand of oil anyways

he just wants to know if Mobil 0-W30 is safe.... and I would like to know if anyone really knows....
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
Vash

Did Amsoil get API certifications for this oil? Makes no sense to change the viscosity either and could void warranty. You need to have API cert, same viscosity and paperwork for every change to prove schedule compliance.

I don't want to be anti Amsoil they are not bad or else lot of people would not use and recommend it. Lucas they can be trusted. Don't know about the others.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #10
MajikMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Yea but Amsoil lacks all the certifications. I don't know about those other lubes.

And as far as the graph I would not put so much into that without knowing the source. Without the heat cycles the lube is just tested at room temp probably. But I have seen the timken race bearing test, which is also fresh lube at room temp, and RP did very good.
This test was at 130 deg C. And, Amsoil is in most cases certified. Even meets the newest Diesel certifications for the new 'clean' diesels.
And it is an ASTM certified test. That standardizes everything. Just food for thought...
Old 07-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
bumblebee rules

Drives: 2010 BumbleBee ready to go now
Mobil 1 is what my dealer said to run , no warranty issues with it ???
bumblebee rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
OP, I would not run 0W-30 Mobil 1. Not worth the risk. Stick with Mobil 1 5W-30, per specs. No questionable issues with warranty, and it's very good oil.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Run exactly what GM says or risk voiding your warranty.

Keep receipts for the proper oil.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Guys,
I could get a deal on 0w-30 Mobil1 Fuel Saving oil.
Mobil states it exceeds the warrany requirements of 5w & 10w-30 synthetics and saves gas and wants you to try it.
Anyone know if this is ok with GM?
it should be fine. ideally tho, you should stick with what GM wants. however, the fact that you live in CT means you probably deal with some cold starting temps thruought the year. that being said, 0w-30 would be better off for you in the winter time than 5w-30. its not a big jump, but 0w-30 is rated better for cold starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
OP, I would not run 0W-30 Mobil 1. Not worth the risk. Stick with Mobil 1 5W-30, per specs. No questionable issues with warranty, and it's very good oil.

John B.
the only difference between the two is the cold starting viscosity of the oil. once the oil has warmed up, they will both perform the same. and as I mentioned to the OP, living in CT he probably experiences colder weather than those living farther south and the 0w oil will provide a little better protection during cold startup
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Mobil1

Maybe we should check the Mobil site for their opinion.
They are marketing it as Better then 5w-30 if they say the word Exceeds.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 AM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Maybe we should check the Mobil site for their opinion.
They are marketing it as Better then 5w-30 if they say the word Exceeds.
it is better than 5w-30..... for cold startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #17
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajikMD View Post
This test was at 130 deg C. And, Amsoil is in most cases certified. Even meets the newest Diesel certifications for the new 'clean' diesels.
And it is an ASTM certified test. That standardizes everything. Just food for thought...
There is nothing standardized about an ASTM test performed by a manufacturer.... and later used in marketing documents.

ASTM tests are done in national and non-profit labs. Otherwise, they are 100% biased to the manufacturer. The bad data is thrown out and the good data is reported.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
MajikMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
There is nothing standardized about an ASTM test performed by a manufacturer.... and later used in marketing documents.

ASTM tests are done in national and non-profit labs. Otherwise, they are 100% biased to the manufacturer. The bad data is thrown out and the good data is reported.
Of course they throw out some data, BUT, and I've been a Mobil 1 user for 15 years, the point I was trying to make was that Royal Purple, though many like it, seems to have ALOT of issues on numerous tests. It's volatility rating (where they heat it to extreme temps to seem how much of it evaporates) is 4x as high as the better oils out there, the wear scars on the standardized tests are consistently 3 times as deep as with other good oils, its base number (the amount of ability the oil has to neutralize acids that form in the crankcase) is lower than most good oils...I could go on.

Just mentioning a few things I found about RP through research I did. It's not bad, but it did perform worse than alot of conventional, non-synthetic oils on in depth testing. It has to do with its VERY different manufacturing, using alot of moly.

It's an interesting topic, though. Maybe we should put together our own test to see what oil is best for our new Cams.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #19
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

0w-30

Got this from Mobil's web site.
https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...AQs.aspx#FAQs2

Why do you recommend 0W-30 as an alternative to 10W-30 when my car manufacturer recommends 10W-30?
Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy exceeds many new car warranty requirements where SAE 0W-30, 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil is recommended. Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 0W-30 provides the high temperature protection of 5W-30 and 10W-30 oils while offering improved fuel economy. As a result, many consumers can benefit from improved fuel economy while also obtaining outstanding engine protection for their vehicles.
Will using these products void my warranty if my owner’s manual recommends 5W-30 motor oil in my engine?
If your car maker recommends a SAE 5W-30 ILSAC oil (starburst), we recommend either Mobil 1 5W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy, which provides the high temperature protection of 5W-30 oils while offering improved fuel economy. You will not void your warranty.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
That's mobil 1 trying to sell oil. That's not GM telling you that it's a good idea.

The weight of your oil really comes into play depending on your engine's operating temp. Being that you're in CT, you may be better off than someone in FL...but personally I wouldnt chance it.

5w is pretty light, 0w is a bit over the edge in my book.

And.... if you're THAT worried about gas mileage, you shouldnt have bought a camaro!

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #21
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

No its not gas mileage, I can do and oil change for $24 with their offer using Mobil1 instead of Dino. (with filter).
Yes it would be good in the cold months in CT but don't think I'll chance it in the summer. Or I could mix 5w-30 with it.
Some on the forum are paying a dealer from $84 - $114 - Ouch!
NO Way I am going to pay that for an oil change! No how!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:58 AM   #22
CamaroSS24
Ford Convert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Yellow/RS pk
I like the idea & will be trying it out. I only use mobil one, ever since I bought my first car. I've never had a single engine problem in 15 years, and many cars. My current baby is a 2001 Miata (boy will she be pissed when Jolene gets home) and the guts on that engine look brand new in 2009. If the lighter 0W-30 delivers better mileage, then that means the engine is running more efficiently and therefore less stressed.

Any GM engineers want to chime in & give us some expert advice?
ORDERED: April 15, 2009 Est. Delivery: August, 2009?

CamaroSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote