Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Gibby'SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Trick Flow GenX 255 heads

Hi:

I am currently installing a new cam and heads on my car. I am installing the new Trick Flow heads. I have run into an issue with the depth of the Trick Flow threads. I have found that the factory GM bolts used to attach the electrical grounds to the Trick Flow heads are too long to tighten the bolts. I would say approx. 1/8" to 1/4" too long.

Has anyone else run into this issue? If so what was your solution?

I have emailed Trick Flow and hoping to receive a response tomorrow. in the mean time if anyone has any information to provide I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
[COLOR="Blue"]CAI Intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers and full exhaust, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, TFS Gen X 255 heads, custom VVT cam by Pat Guerra, RX Catch Can, Pedderized suspension, ghosted side markers, Technostalgia tail lights, Big Worm spears, Forgestar f14 in gunmetal, Nitto Invo 275/315

455HP/422TQ.

Last edited by Gibby'SS; 10-06-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Gibby'SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
jvoisel

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Why not just run to the hardware store in the morning for some longer bolts?
jvoisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
+1. Take one of the bolts with you to a hardware store, get the same thread pitch in a longer grade 8 bolt and you will be good to go. I've done this many times. It beats sitting around waiting on an answer or a bolt to be sent to you.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Gibby'SS

I would need shorter bolts.

I may be overreacting and that is a reasonable solution. However Trick Flow should have indicated this if it is a known issue and even provided bolts that would work instead of me having to waste my time.

Thanks anyway.
[COLOR="Blue"]CAI Intake, Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers and full exhaust, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, TFS Gen X 255 heads, custom VVT cam by Pat Guerra, RX Catch Can, Pedderized suspension, ghosted side markers, Technostalgia tail lights, Big Worm spears, Forgestar f14 in gunmetal, Nitto Invo 275/315

455HP/422TQ.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Gibby'SS

I edited my post. I meant to say the GM bolts are too long for the Trick Flow threads in the head. It's late and I'm tired of working on the car.

There is also the front electrical ground bolt that is a bolt head with threads on both sides of the head. I don't think The Depot is going to have that.

It's just the principal I guess.

455HP/422TQ.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
Gtkilrss

Drives: 2016 SS
Get shorter bolts from fastenal. Iv never had a issue with my bolt being to long for the hole.
sorry I had to make a joke!!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
Gibby'SS

Too funny. Thanks.

455HP/422TQ.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #8
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
LOL@Jesse...

OP, use washers to make up the extra space or just get the shorter bolt. I have found ACE hardwares to have a great selection of various sizes of bolts if one is in your area. Otherwise, home depot or fastenal.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
Gibby'SS

I spoke to Trick Flow. They are aware of the issue.

They will first attempt to drill the threads deeper to see if this affects any water jackets in the head. If there is no problem the manufacturing process may be changed.

If the deeper threads do affect the water jackets, Trick Flow will contact a fastener manufacturer such as ARP and produce a fastener kit.

None of these options will be available anytime soon so I will have to find bolts that will work in the mean time.

I tried Home Depot and Tractor Supply today. No luck. I am unaware of a Fastenal in my area. I will look them up. I might also contact ARP and see if I can order the correct sizes.

Thank you for the suggestions.

455HP/422TQ.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:26 AM   #10
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
Washers.

Done dizzle.
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #11
heymatt

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
Dremel with a cut off wheel. Clean up the threads with a die set and a small file.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
Gtkilrss

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatt View Post
Dremel with a cut off wheel. Clean up the threads with a die set and a small file.
This. Don't know why my southern didn't come out lol
Old 10-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
suzbndt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2011 Mustang GT
find a nut in the right size thread on then cut off right amount then remove nut to clean the threads
suzbndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #14
Gibby'SS

I purchased bolts through Fastenal. I then cut the double threaded bolt used on the front of the passenger head for the main grounds. I'll be installing everything over the next few days.

I'm almost done! Can't wait to see what I got. Heading to T&T Performance for some dyno time.

Anyone interested in installing your own head and cam package, it can be done. It just takes some patience. Take lots of photos before and during removal. Label your bolts and electrical connections.

455HP/422TQ.