Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
dect

Drives: None
So.. Me and my friend are in a huge argument over Mustang Vs. Camaro

Basically, one of my friends uncle was like yea, your V6 (stock) mustang could smoke his v6 (stock) camaro. I was like haha, no. I know a lot about the camaro but not the mustang. CAn someone give me a perfect answer to that? Why a camaro would beat a V6 mustang? He says because the mustang is a 4.0 liter. I don't know that much about that part.. Anyways, just can someone tell me how much the camaro would beat hte mustang?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: #708 Summit White ZL1 Del. 5/17
Don't woooorrryyy about it, you have more ponies.
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
dect

Drives: None
Yes, but she (yes, a she) does not understand that.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
go to google.com and look up the numbers.

argument over.

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
coolman

the camaro is almost a full second faster in the 1/4mile. 210hp in mustang vs 300 in the camaro. No contest.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
LOL a V6 4.0 stang runs about 15.1 at 95mph in the quarter...
Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Ok... S197 V6 Mustangs is something I know a little bit about! LOL! Check out my old website www.v6john.com

The Camaro is a lot heavier... but the Camaro does have the HP/TQ advantage... Here is the dyno sheet to show the big difference:

These are two 100% stock V6 automatics...

I have also lined up against a few S197 V6 Mustangs.... I beat a stock V6 by about .5 sec. Also lined up against a modded one with CAI, exhaust, gears, tune... I beat him twice but barely... very close race!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
25thanniversary

Drives: 92 Camaro Convt RS,2011 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dect View Post
Basically, one of my friends uncle was like yea, your V6 (stock) mustang could smoke his v6 (stock) camaro. I was like haha, no. I know a lot about the camaro but not the mustang. CAn someone give me a perfect answer to that? Why a camaro would beat a V6 mustang? He says because the mustang is a 4.0 liter. I don't know that much about that part.. Anyways, just can someone tell me how much the camaro would beat hte mustang?

the best answer to this and will resolve the problem is that your race your friend and smoke him i would do that

TEAM LLT

1992 Camaro Rs Convertible
2011 Camaro 1lt Rs
25thanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25thanniversary View Post
the best answer to this and will resolve the problem is that your race your friend and smoke him i would do that
just make sure it's done legally on a track
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Camaro: 304 HP

Mustang: 210 HP

Easy as that. More horsepower = More power = Faster.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2007 Ford F-150 (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Bails

Drives: 07 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by dect View Post
He says because the mustang is a 4.0 liter. I don't know that much about that part..
I really hate to rip on my own engine but the 4.0 is really nothing special. Ask him why Ford is replacing the 4.0 for a 3.7 in 2011 if it is so great.

http://www.themustangnews.com/carnew...ustang-429.htm

A stock 4.0 Mustang is no match for a 2010 Camaro. It's an old engine and replacing it is way overdue.
Bails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
The Camaro is about 250lb on the Stang... But a whole 94hp difference which is more than enough to smoke the Stang. Like everyone said mustang=210hp camaro=304hp. All the number in every way vary in decent amounts athe 1/4 ,the suspension is way better, 0-60 is a killer diff in the racing world, the gas mileage is also a factor in buying a car and the stang only gets 24 the camaro gets 29.

The Camaro is King in almost every way. Go to Kelly Blue Book and do a car comparison.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
JewelZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 AM   #13
Shadowsong

Drives: 2005 Mustang
Well, lets put it this way, on a really good day I cut a 14.66 with a cold air intake and exhaust. The v6 camaro will run that, or maybe better than that stock.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #14
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
torque is what wins races...
& the camaro has a bit more. her v6 mustang has nothing on it
Old 07-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #15
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
V6 Stang is not meant to race. Period. Unless you mod it, its not going to threaten anybody. Hell I have seen some Honda's woop on a v6 at our track. The v6 Camaro has a lot more going for it, and will smoke a v6 stang.....BADLY. The 4.0 in the stang needs a refresh and it needed it yesterday. Its really no contest.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #16
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
V6 Stang is not meant to race. Period. Unless you mod it, its not going to threaten anybody. Hell I have seen some Honda's woop on a v6 at our track. The v6 Camaro has a lot more going for it, and will smoke a v6 stang.....BADLY. The 4.0 in the stang needs a refresh and it needed it yesterday. Its really no contest.
ummmm... the V6 Stang is as much a race car as the Camaro... Yes, it is slower stock for stock.. but that doesn't mean it's not a race car... I would say most people here who race competitively in their daily drivers are NOT going to race heads up.. they are going to run the brackets... and in brackets consistency is what wins, not who is faster... and I can tell you my 4.0L Stang was very consistent... so yeah, my V6 Stang was a race car..

Also.. Any car can win on any given day... my 2LT beat a Mustang Shelby GT (not GT500) the other day... Driver blew the launch and spun...

The 4.0L is a pretty stout motor.... I managed 12.85 in mine... and I was no where near being the fastest 4.0L out there... So saying the V6 Stang is not a race car is ridiculous..... There is a lot more to racing than simply looking at HP ratings...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #17
Ninjak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
ummmm... the V6 Stang is as much a race car as the Camaro... Yes, it is slower stock for stock.. but that doesn't mean it's not a race car... I would say most people here who race competitively in their daily drivers are NOT going to race heads up.. they are going to run the brackets... and in brackets consistency is what wins, not who is faster... and I can tell you my 4.0L Stang was very consistent... so yeah, my V6 Stang was a race car..

Also.. Any car can win on any given day... my 2LT beat a Mustang Shelby GT (not GT500) the other day... Driver blew the launch and spun...

The 4.0L is a pretty stout motor.... I managed 12.85 in mine... and I was no where near being the fastest 4.0L out there... So saying the V6 Stang is not a race car is ridiculous..... There is a lot more to racing than simply looking at HP ratings...
Bracket racing is not racing. Sorry, that's my story and I am sticking to it. Hell, I could have raced my pontiac lemans, with its whopping 92HP and constantly ran 16.5 all day long. Whooop ! Its a race car ! Um no. Hell there is a guy who comes out in a painted pinto......decals and all.....loud exhaust...and runs 16.0 flat every time. He has won every time out. He will laugh and tell you, "hell no this is not a race car !!!" Its just fun to beat people with real cars in the bracket section ! Then he laughs and go gets food.

You can technically race ANY car. Hell you can race a mini van. But yes there is more to racing than HP, and there is more to racing a car besides HP as well. There called brakes, tranny, suspension....All of those wonderful things that help your car down the track.

So you ran a 12.85 in your V6.......That's a hell of a V6 and it could not be anywhere near stock. So my point still stands. If you going to run a v6 stang, its going to be modded. The v6 in stock form is pitiful. There is nothing stout about that 4.0 in stock form. If you have a vid of a stock v6 running hell...in the 13's heck even high 13's I would like to see it. Because at our track, I have never seen it happen.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #18
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
Well, lets put it this way, on a really good day I cut a 14.66 with a cold air intake and exhaust. The v6 camaro will run that, or maybe better than that stock.

The V6 Camaro will beat a V6 Mustang all day long.

If you can only get 14.66 with a CAI and exhaust looks like you need driver mod BAD.

There's NO way a V6 Camaro should beat ANY Mustang GT.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #19
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
The V6 Camaro will beat a V6 Mustang all day long.

If you can only get 14.66 with a CAI and exhaust looks like you need driver mod BAD.

There's NO way a V6 Camaro should beat ANY Mustang GT.
He's talking about running a V6 Mustang with just a CAI (untuned) and exhaust at 14.66... that's great! Stock a S197 V6 is going to be low 15s...

Yep... shouldn't have happened but it did... stuff happens... you just never know... Heck I remember at one NMRA event guy with a GT500 barely got into the 14's! His first pass was in the 15s....

And actually I was at the track Sunday... guy was running a new edge GT... Don't think he ever got out of the 15's... My best was 14.62... worst was 14.9...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Bracket racing is not racing. Sorry, that's my story and I am sticking to it. Hell, I could have raced my pontiac lemans, with its whopping 92HP and constantly ran 16.5 all day long. Whooop ! Its a race car ! Um no. Hell there is a guy who comes out in a painted pinto......decals and all.....loud exhaust...and runs 16.0 flat every time. He has won every time out. He will laugh and tell you, "hell no this is not a race car !!!" Its just fun to beat people with real cars in the bracket section ! Then he laughs and go gets food.

You can technically race ANY car. Hell you can race a mini van. But yes there is more to racing than HP, and there is more to racing a car besides HP as well. There called brakes, tranny, suspension....All of those wonderful things that help your car down the track.

So you ran a 12.85 in your V6.......That's a hell of a V6 and it could not be anywhere near stock. So my point still stands. If you going to run a v6 stang, its going to be modded. The v6 in stock form is pitiful. There is nothing stout about that 4.0 in stock form. If you have a vid of a stock v6 running hell...in the 13's heck even high 13's I would like to see it. Because at our track, I have never seen it happen.
So by your standard unless you car is turning 9's i wouldn't really consider it a race car??? You take your car to the track and you run it on a race track, then it's a race car... period... Heck look at those terrible years when the big V8's made a lot less HP/TQ...

As for my car... no not stock... BUT... friend with a 4.0 went like 13.89 ( I know it was in the 13's) on a N/A 4.0L!!! I have the video some where and will find it when I get home...
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #21
Black GT
Banned

Drives: 2006 Mustang GT
Quote:
He's talking about running a V6 Mustang with just a CAI (untuned) and exhaust at 14.66... that's great! Stock a S197 V6 is going to be low 15s...

My bad, looking at his pic, his car has a GT front grill.
Black GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #22
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
V6 Mustangs (and likewise V6 Challengers) weren't really made to stand on their own. They've got pep, but Ford was operating under the assumption that anyone who REALLY cared about going fast would buy a V8. Chevy took the V6 more seriously. With any luck that'll encourage Ford to treat their V6 more seriously in the next generations too, but for now, you have the higher performance car.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #23
Ninjak
Banned

Quote:
So by your standard unless you car is turning 9's i wouldn't really consider it a race car??? You take your car to the track and you run it on a race track, then it's a race car... period... Heck look at those terrible years when the big V8's made a lot less HP/TQ...

As for my car... no not stock... BUT... friend with a 4.0 went like 13.89 ( I know it was in the 13's) on a N/A 4.0L!!! I have the video some where and will find it when I get home...
No, you do not have to turn 9's but really....if your going to run your car, and I mean truly run your car, even if its twice a month, its not going to stay bone stock. That is what I am trying to get across. People do not call there BONE STOCK DAILY DRIVERS race cars. Hell even if it's a v8. People mod cars for a reason. And no stock older or s197 v6 mustang should ever be considered as a race car.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #24
ZYAL8R

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25thanniversary View Post
That's what i say too....smoke his @ss!

84' Chevy S-10
91' Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab
90' GMC Sierra Reg. Cab 350 V8
2003 GMC Sierra HD 4x4 Crew 6.0
2005 GMC Yukon 5.3
2008 GMC Ext. Cab 4x4 5.3
2008 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3
This truck man is about to go for something a little more sporty.
ZYAL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #25
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
No, you do not have to turn 9's but really....if your going to run your car, and I mean truly run your car, even if its twice a month, its not going to stay bone stock. That is what I am trying to get across. People do not call there BONE STOCK DAILY DRIVERS race cars. Hell even if it's a v8. People mod cars for a reason. And no stock older or s197 v6 mustang should ever be considered as a race car.
What are you talking about... My V6 daily driver looked totally bone stock!

It was my daily driver (365 days... even in Michigan snow!) It was my show car... and my race car! LOL

And by the way... here's the video... the car in question is the blue one with the wide stripe... this is on a stock 4.0L motor!!! Bolt-ons yes, but no FI... strictly all motor... 13.89@97! The run in question is about 1/2 way through the video...