Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HURST
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,944
Curb Weight of Z/28

I sort of recall the discussions about the Z/28's weight reduction as possibly coming in less than what was possibly claimed. Then I noticed in the press releases the weight is "300 lbs" less than the ZL-1...that's fine..

But I thought perhaps we might have been given a surprise that the weight came in considerably less than expected....guess not...

Am I missing something here? Was the weight reduction not as much as we hoped? Anybody else hoped it would have been closer to 3700 or even 3600 lbs? Maybe it's a non-issue at this juncture....I just sort of recall a lot of speculation that we may have been pleasantly surprised by a lower figure...

....Just curious if anybody else has any thoughts or opinions....Was all that effort really worth it for what the final figure came in at?...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 28,414
Seeing that the ZL1 has an extra 250 lbs in the rear end and the Z/28 does not have that rear end I think a better comparison would be against the SS. So I guess I agree with you that weight reduction is not as impressive as I would have liked.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: a 2010 SS GMPPZL1LE/28
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the birth land of the Gen4 Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 2,171
IT tips the scales at 3,837 pounds
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 5,340
With the weight reduction they did, I don't understand how it weighs as much as the SS. I was under the impression it was down around 3,760 lbs.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 28,414
Yeah, it's kind of a wash... they eliminated the extra weight of the ZL1 back to SS weight.

I guess the extra coolers and fluids balance out the A/C, Speakers, Wheels, and rear window savings
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
With the weight reduction they did, I don't understand how it weighs as much as the SS. I was under the impression it was down around 3,760 lbs.
Yes I agree. I was surprised it was over 3,800.

If you start with a 1LE and add/subtract the items they did I thought we were looking at 3,750(?).
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 5,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes I agree. I was surprised it was over 3,800.

If you start with a 1LE and add/subtract the items they did I thought we were looking at 3,750(?).
Exactly. I don't see where the extra weight comes from other than maybe the diff cooler and dry sump tank.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
pgviper
 
Drives: 67 Pro Touring Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 248
Send a message via AIM to pgviper
I think they did a damn good job keeping it approximately the same weight as an SS.

Seriously guys, compare the two. THe Z/28 has extra coolers everywhere, larger wheels, larger tires, 427 engine with beefier suspension parts, beefier drive train, splitters and downforce parts everywhere. With everything that has been added there is absolutely no increase in weight is pretty damn impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if there are braces in places the SS doesn't have to stiffen the chassis.

From a marketing prespective, why would they say "SAY WEIGHT AS SS BUT WITH A WHOLE BUNCH MORE STUFF!!!!" That sounds ridiculous. Obviously for the news releases they wanted to make it appeal to those that don't understand what it takes to make a track car a real track car.

IMHO, they did an awesome job and i'm sure if you want to shed some more weight there are plenty of places to do it but for this thing to sell, it needs to have somewhat of an interior.
pgviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: A Mountain Road
Posts: 7,023
They did do a great even "over the top" job on the Z/28!

Haven't heard about extra bracing. I don't think it's needed with the 5Gen chassis. But as you mentioned the wheels and tires...weigh "not" more, but significantly less. The brakes are much less, the interior, trunk less. Rear glass less. The engine is based on the same SB as the LS3. Hence our surprise.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 28,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
I think they did a damn good job keeping it approximately the same weight as an SS.

Seriously guys, compare the two. THe Z/28 has extra coolers everywhere, larger wheels, larger tires, 427 engine with beefier suspension parts, beefier drive train, splitters and downforce parts everywhere. With everything that has been added there is absolutely no increase in weight is pretty damn impressive. I wouldn't be surprised if there are braces in places the SS doesn't have to stiffen the chassis.

From a marketing prespective, why would they say "SAY WEIGHT AS SS BUT WITH A WHOLE BUNCH MORE STUFF!!!!" That sounds ridiculous. Obviously for the news releases they wanted to make it appeal to those that don't understand what it takes to make a track car a real track car.

IMHO, they did an awesome job and i'm sure if you want to shed some more weight there are plenty of places to do it but for this thing to sell, it needs to have somewhat of an interior.
I know there are things I'm unaware of but the ZL1 has the beefier drivetrain not the Z/28. Sway bars are probably bigger on the Z/28 but suspension shouldn't be any heavier as we have seen underneath in the video. But I will say you are right. I have no idea and do not understand what it takes to make a real track car as this definitely is.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,944
Not saying the weight reduction they did wasn't a great achievement at all. But the mantra was they were putting the car on a diet, as they should for a track car....and 300 lbs less than the ZL-1 was the goal....perhaps the "minimum" goal....

I was just surprised a little that that's where it still ended up, given that it was still a work in progress and with orders from the top for a major undertaking to reduce weight. Not criticizing, just wondering why it couldn't have been less.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: a 2010 SS GMPPZL1LE/28
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the birth land of the Gen4 Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Exactly. I don't see where the extra weight comes from other than maybe the diff cooler and dry sump tank.
an extra 39lbs from the LS7
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,944
Just for the heck of it, I wonder if there's any way to figure how much weight was removed (theoretically what a lighter-weight SS "could" weigh...??)....Then how much was "added back" from various components for the Z/28 that were heavier, if any....

I think a lot of the curiosity is really what is the lightest these Gen5 Camaros could weigh.....(without getting into the absurd, of course).....The overall weight of these cars has always been sort of a negative for one reason or another...

Just thinking if this weight removal engineering is viable, perhaps it could translate into a lighter-weight 1LE or SS track model...
or even as an "option" for the 6th Gens, if too late for the rest of the 5ths...

Last edited by 90503; 10-18-2013 at 03:37 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: a 2010 SS GMPPZL1LE/28
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the birth land of the Gen4 Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Just for the heck of it, I wonder if there's any way to figure how much weight was removed (theoretically what a lighter-weight SS "could" weigh...??)....Then how much was "added back" from various components for the Z/28 that were heavier, if any....

I think a lot of the curiosity is really what is the lightest these Gen5 Camaros could weigh.....(without getting into the absurd, of course).....The overall weight of these cars has always been sort of a negative for one reason or another...

Just thinking if this weight removal engineering is viable, perhaps it could translate into a lighter-weight 1LE or SS track model...
or even as an "option" for the 6th Gens, if too late for the rest of the 5ths...
Here! come back with the result number!!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170965
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.