Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #51
chevymuscle311
 
Drives: 2SS/RS- IOM w/ CG Rallies
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Clovis
Posts: 306
Glad I switched to A6. Push it through GM!!!!!!
chevymuscle311 is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #52
rogue
 
Drives: 67 CAMARO
Join Date: May 2009
Location: COLUMBIA,SC
Posts: 11
there seems to be always some excuse that its not gms fault, or gm is aware of the problem and there doing the rite thing to fix it,or some one saying its not all makes or models, or every manufacture has issues.when is enough, enough?regaurdless of where the product comes from or what paticular manufacture is making it its still has gm name on it, which means its gms fault.
they chose to use that manufacturer, they choose to use that product for this car, and they chose to hire the employees that cant tighten a nut down on a spoiler correctly.gm drew a good car, but it seems like gm chose cheap parts to build the car.
sure every car manufactures has issues, some worse some not so bad, but gm is the one whos head is on the chopping block, gm is the one that turned out the american icon camaro and is haveing severe issues now, not every one else. you would think gm would be doing things better and cleaner then the others guys just to prove they have staying power and they can build a dependable car.
every time i see another report of something going wrong with this car it makes me said.i think its great that gm is willing to fix the problemS, but i think it should piss alot of people of cause they are inconienced, they have to take there car in to get a tranny replaced(we all know its coming). so now you are with out your 40,000$ car and you are hoping that gm sends that better tranny. you also hope it doesnt it take weeks to fix.
the worst part is every ford dodge or race inspired car that pulls up to you is going to make fun of your ass a say gm cant even build a tranny( it has gms name it therefor its gm)
also every problem including this major one is killing the resale value because its all ready showing its not dependable. sure it might be a small batch of paint or piller or trannies,but when is the last time you put your faith in a used with this many issues, or possable recalls and you know there is more to come!
sooner or later you as a consumer needs to say "thats it no more".build the car like its suppose to be built or dont build it all. the more things go wrong with this car and the more people read and see it the less likely gm will make alot of camaros, and if gm doesnt make enough of these car to where its aprofit over the next couple of years, you can kiss that z/28 idea good buy and the whole camaro good buy. i dont think the goverment is going to allow the company to limp along like that. o wait they didnt. they went it bankrupcy
i guess ill see you in line at the dealership waiting on a new tranny!!!!!!
rogue is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #53
coolman
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
WHAT I RECOMMEND: (....from a PERSONAL viewpoint......)


DO NOT do 6,000 RPMS and then DUMP the clutch.

That's a foolish thing to do....regardless of what you are driving.

I'm not saying you have to 'baby' the car -- but don't go out and 'flog hell outta it!"

Meanwhile - we will have more info. as details develop.[/QUOTE]

Can you explain why launch control was designed into the car? I mean was it intended to protect the drive train from us nuts because of the long warranty on thease cars. If your not to use it why put it in the car. I saw a post on here explaining it on the corvette and the engineer said it wouldn't hurt the car. I do believe that this sight has alot to do with getting gm to jump on this problem quickly and I gain some respect back for them over that. Do you think this has anything to do with weight of car? That alot more to get moving then the corvette.
coolman is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #54
okie2
 
okie2's Avatar
 
Drives: RJT 2SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 264
I had the tranny replaced in my 2007 Camry with less than 1500 miles on it. Go read the Toyota forum about all the V6 tranny problems when it came out. Many folks had their tranny replaced in this model.

This is not unique to GM. When you rely on third party vendors, things just happen.
okie2 is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #55
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I've asked for clarification on the matter. Since there have been no early cars breaking, I think it is a bad "batch" of something.
This is what I was hoping. I hope your right.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #56
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE
 
Dr Jkel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Oxford, Alabama
Posts: 4,461
I have a M6 2 SS and have had no problems, but I have not dumped the clutch, probably never will, even NHRA, NASCAR, and just about everything else mechanical breaks. Just wait and see, if yours breaks and they fix it so be it, if they do not then that is another story.

I personally applaud GM, The Camaro Team for putting a hold on these vehicle to makes sure they are right.

On other thing is that alot of complaints about quality. Let me just say if you want show quality vehicle, build it yourself, spend about 70 k and you will have your car. But you will never get SHOW quality from a PRODUCTION vehicle. Every car built has a flaw somewhere. So please quit dogging GM, if you do not like it don't buy one, or selll the one you have. You get nowhere with that.
__________________
MUSTANG...Like Bringing a Hot Dog to a Steak Dinner....There is no comparison.
Dr Jkel is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #57
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!
 
BackinBlackSS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 23,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
But really, when was the last time you heard of Honda launching a new vehicle with these issues?
Umm, on the Honda forums. Where that is the only place you will hear about the Camaro's issues. It's not on the news, papers, is it? I'm not on the Honda forums. I'm sure if you sign up and go on you can pull many a thread where there are problems. Amazing people still think that foreign cars are so much better.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #58
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamaroguy View Post
Awesome...what kind of mileage you been averaging?

Scott, as always...THANK YOU. I don't think any one of us can say that enough!


Since the beginning (have not reset the fuel econ. button...)

19.8

(....and I am not known for 'leisurely' drives.)
fbodfather is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #59
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green
 
GrnMchin's Avatar
 
Drives: 67 Nova SS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,571
I can believe some of the post. Really, if GM didn't care you would not know S, and the fact that GM is looking into it and holding some cars back until they know more shows that they want the consumer to have the best product possible. GM is not the only car company that has released a new car and had to work out some bugs all of the manufactures have. The list is Long. We just took delivery of our car after waiting since Oct. and ours is a six speed SS I will not buy into the Sky is Falling approach, but have a wait and see attitude.
__________________
GrnMchin is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #60
Halo2
 
Halo2's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 Mercury Marauder
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 131
It's been a pleasure...but now it is time to pull the C6 option. I go to work to get my dose of daily stress, I don't need it when trying to purchase a week end play toy. Good luck to all!
Halo2 is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #61
Carlos
Camaro 2010 & 1979
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Miami,
Posts: 1
My sons Camaro SS manuel transmission broke down here in Miami, Floirda with 528 miles, it had to be towed which was handled by onstar / chevy service perfectly.The shaft that comes out of the transmission broke that goes connected to the drive shaft, had a new transmission shipped from Mexico within 2 days which is fast for a truckload shipment from mexico to Miami, Fl and i had the car back the day after transmission arrived at the dealer for a total of 3 days out of service, since they identified the problem, the car did break on a saturday night and was not diagnosed until tuesday morning.Consideirng the bankruptcy and that it is a new car I would give GM , Chevy and the dealer a AAAAA PLUS for handling the problem and i do not regret any purchase of this vehicle at all. Problems can happen, thats part of a new car run.
Carlos is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM   #62
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo2 View Post
It's been a pleasure...but now it is time to pull the C6 option. I go to work to get my dose of daily stress, I don't need it when trying to purchase a week end play toy. Good luck to all!
That is certainly your perogative -- but if I were you, I'd wait. I don't think this 'hold' will be long - -- perhaps a day or two? I DON'T know this and won't until tomorrow -- but when we DO find out, you'll read about it here.
fbodfather is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #63
tededfred
 
tededfred's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2LT!!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 143
some seriously heated debate in this thread!

One point to make though:

WRT the loose spoiler nuts. Blaming the 'workers' for something like that, I don't think is entirely fair. I think the blame should go to whoever designed the assembly process. I would assume that's someone in management? Sounds to me like that 'step' in the process was left out, and that it was also left out of the QC checklist. I mean come on, any decent person who is told to look at a couple nuts is going to friggin tighten them if they see that they are loose.
tededfred is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #64
fbodfather


 
fbodfather's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaros................
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Grosse Pointe Farms, MI (suburban Detroit)
Posts: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Can you explain why launch control was designed into the car? I mean was it intended to protect the drive train from us nuts because of the long warranty on thease cars. If your not to use it why put it in the car. I saw a post on here explaining it on the corvette and the engineer said it wouldn't hurt the car. I do believe that this sight has alot to do with getting gm to jump on this problem quickly and I gain some respect back for them over that. Do you think this has anything to do with weight of car? That alot more to get moving then the corvette.

Some thoughts:

Go to a drag-strip and watch some people in their cars--

I saw a guy do a burnout (by accident I'd hope...) in REVERSE!

Launch control can maximize times in many cases.

HOWEVER -- you CAN turn the launch control off.....and when you do, some will hit the rev limiter and then just "dump" the clutch.....


......and THEN there are the 'burn-out' contests....(esp. from those who don't know what they're doing...)

.........and then there are the performance mods that have been done --


........so all I'm saying is this: Don't dump the clutch -- it's not a good thing to do no matter what you drive.......
fbodfather is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #65
Darqueling
 
Darqueling's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SSRS Yellow w/ Blk BB Stripes
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 230
Hmm, why are people making a big issue out of this? I like the system engineer venting over this, as I am a system engineer too but can tell you that this is normal. Can't tell you how many "maintenance efforts" we have on our products to fix what the Navy has found that we can't test in a lab. It's simple quality control, find out about a problem, fix, no more problem.

Meh, just tacks on another week or so to my 3000 status, but whatever, at this point I will get it when I get it, so will everyone else. Rather have a car that has been corrected rather than not, either way the issue is resolved. I am sure this won't be the last problem, every car has some recalls in its life time, that's how the system works. So long as GM issues the recalls and covers the fix of them that is all I care about.
Darqueling is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #66
josh1147
Delivered 29June09
 
josh1147's Avatar
 
Drives: Early Order Camaro
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 411
Scott and the Rest of the Camaro Team,

THANK YOU for doing all that you do....I finally took delivery 10 days ago of my 2SS/RS MN6 gorgeous Victory Red with ground effects.

This is by far the most fun to drive car I've driven in decades (besides the occasional F360/430). You have GOT IT RIGHT on this baby!

Your supporters out here are growing daily....I stopped counting the number of friends/coworkers/strangers who own foreign cars who are now excited about GM!

EVERYTHING takes longer in the new Camaro....grocery store used to be 30mins, now 1.5hours due to getting stopped by folks!

Keep doing what you are doing....handle issues when they come up.....place customer service and product first and everything else will fall in place.

Oh....and continue to ignore the whiners/nay-sayers....they are just jeolous!
__________________
2SS/RS, VR, Blk hockeys, Blk leather, MN6, sunroof, GFX

Delivered: 29 June 09 !!!

Current:
'57 BelAir 2Dr Post
'07 Avalanche LTZ (daily driver)
'10 Traverse (wife's demo)
'99 Harley FLHTC
josh1147 is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #67
MajikMD
 
MajikMD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS/RS, 6spd, IOM, blk hockey
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Abilene, TX
Posts: 54
Jeez, man. Lay off a bit. If GM hadn't had all of the financial issues that it has recently, there's a good chance you wouldn't be bit**ing as much as you are.

As others said, it is a supplier part issue - GM didn't MAKE the tranny, they bought it. It seems that as soon as they realized there was a problem, they are working to fix it.

On another note, do you know how much energy is in a 4000-6000 rpm clutch dump?? I almost expect a few to break. Although I'm a ER doctor now, my initial degree is in mechanical engineering, so please trust me on this.

And on my last note...do you know the reason GM went under???? Is is NOT because they built a bad car. It is because they are trying to pay full retirement to 700,000 people, and only employ 50,000. It is a monumental strain on their finances. 700,000 retired employees. Just so you can see numbers...IF each of those people received 30k/yr as their full retirement (many receive ALOT more), that means GM is paying out $21 BILLION dollars each year just for retirement. Think about how they could make enough profit to maintain their facilities, pay their workers, fund concept development, advertise...you get the point.

I only say this because I get so tired of people ragging on GM without knowing the root of the problem - its not because of a recall or a bad part that GM went under. Keep that in mind, educate yourself a bit before you rant, and give them a break - they are immediately researching the problem as soon as it arose - what more could you expect?
MajikMD is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #68
Treadstone

 
Treadstone's Avatar
 
Drives: Z51 BABY!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LSFREE~!!!!!
Posts: 783
My car has a TPW of July 20th. Does this mean my car won't be made?
__________________
Treadstone is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #69
1320junkie
Account Suspended
 
Drives: The Imperial Army
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Darkside
Posts: 15,898
subscribing
1320junkie is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #70
txaggie_08
 
txaggie_08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 F-150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 93
Thanks, Staff, for removing the idiots
__________________
txaggie_08 is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #71
tom692010
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 1,404
I LOVE THIS CAR PERIOD!
tom692010 is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #72
JBz007
Broke College Student
 
JBz007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Hyundai Elantra
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: TX
Posts: 108
I believe GM is doing the right thing by holding onto the cars until the problem is fixed, all GM needs is another recall...
__________________
God created man to create the Camaro
JBz007 is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #73
Treadstone

 
Treadstone's Avatar
 
Drives: Z51 BABY!
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LSFREE~!!!!!
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajikMD View Post
Jeez, man. Lay off a bit. If GM hadn't had all of the financial issues that it has recently, there's a good chance you wouldn't be bit**ing as much as you are.

As others said, it is a supplier part issue - GM didn't MAKE the tranny, they bought it. It seems that as soon as they realized there was a problem, they are working to fix it.

On another note, do you know how much energy is in a 4000-6000 rpm clutch dump?? I almost expect a few to break. Although I'm a ER doctor now, my initial degree is in mechanical engineering, so please trust me on this.

And on my last note...do you know the reason GM went under???? Is is NOT because they built a bad car. It is because they are trying to pay full retirement to 700,000 people, and only employ 50,000. It is a monumental strain on their finances. 700,000 retired employees. Just so you can see numbers...IF each of those people received 30k/yr as their full retirement (many receive ALOT more), that means GM is paying out $21 BILLION dollars each year just for retirement. Think about how they could make enough profit to maintain their facilities, pay their workers, fund concept development, advertise...you get the point.


I only say this because I get so tired of people ragging on GM without knowing the root of the problem - its not because of a recall or a bad part that GM went under. Keep that in mind, educate yourself a bit before you rant, and give them a break - they are immediately researching the problem as soon as it arose - what more could you expect?

That's not true, the Union I believe now pays for most of the retirement.
__________________
Treadstone is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #74
coolman
Guest
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 4,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Some thoughts:

Go to a drag-strip and watch some people in their cars--

I saw a guy do a burnout (by accident I'd hope...) in REVERSE!

Launch control can maximize times in many cases.

HOWEVER -- you CAN turn the launch control off.....and when you do, some will hit the rev limiter and then just "dump" the clutch.....


......and THEN there are the 'burn-out' contests....(esp. from those who don't know what they're doing...)

.........and then there are the performance mods that have been done --


........so all I'm saying is this: Don't dump the clutch -- it's not a good thing to do no matter what you drive.......
yea, I see what you are saying. Maybe they should have made it so it wouldn't turn off and if someone mods it then warranty void. Still a great car for a good price. I'm sure gm will get it under control.
coolman is offline  
Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #75
CamaroSS24
Ford Convert
 
CamaroSS24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Yellow/RS pk
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajikMD View Post
Jeez, man. Lay off a bit. If GM hadn't had all of the financial issues that it has recently, there's a good chance you wouldn't be bit**ing as much as you are.

As others said, it is a supplier part issue - GM didn't MAKE the tranny, they bought it. It seems that as soon as they realized there was a problem, they are working to fix it.

On another note, do you know how much energy is in a 4000-6000 rpm clutch dump?? I almost expect a few to break. Although I'm a ER doctor now, my initial degree is in mechanical engineering, so please trust me on this.

And on my last note...do you know the reason GM went under???? Is is NOT because they built a bad car. It is because they are trying to pay full retirement to 700,000 people, and only employ 50,000. It is a monumental strain on their finances. 700,000 retired employees. Just so you can see numbers...IF each of those people received 30k/yr as their full retirement (many receive ALOT more), that means GM is paying out $21 BILLION dollars each year just for retirement. Think about how they could make enough profit to maintain their facilities, pay their workers, fund concept development, advertise...you get the point.

I only say this because I get so tired of people ragging on GM without knowing the root of the problem - its not because of a recall or a bad part that GM went under. Keep that in mind, educate yourself a bit before you rant, and give them a break - they are immediately researching the problem as soon as it arose - what more could you expect?
Well said MajikMD. GM's issues are so complex, it's ridiculous. I'm just glad to be in a position to get one of these beauties, and especially b/c of the situation GM is in, they probably won't be around long. Take heed in Bob Lutz saying 4s and 6s are the future.
__________________
~My Name Is Bil
2010 2SS - Rally Yellow - 6-Speed - RS Package - Yes, I was inspired by a cartoon character.
CAR'S NAME: Jolene | Vin# 2G1FT1EW7A9120401 TAG: ZOOM-ZM2 (my other car is a Miata)
ORDERED: April 15, 2009 Est. Delivery: August, 2009?

STATUS:60!!! DELIVERED!!!!!!
CamaroSS24 is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 07:10 PM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM
Official Camaro Convertible CONCEPT Press Release Tran Camaro Convertible Forum 12 11-18-2009 08:05 PM
Ambient lighting (ABL) - the FINAL update = LIMITED TO DOOR PANELS CamaroScotty 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 338 04-15-2009 06:33 PM
Answeres to questions I have stumbled on dieseldave24v 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 13 02-23-2009 07:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.