Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
SSeniorMoment

 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99 IOM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,110
Z28 vs ZL1

Nurburgring,

SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
thunderkyss
 
Drives: 2015 Red Hot SS/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S.E. Texas
Posts: 279
I just saw this video. It puts the Z28 lap next to the ZL1 lap. You can see the speeds, rpm, Gs, etc... of the cars side by side. It's really interesting to see the speeds the Z28 is going at different parts of the track vs the ZL1... a car that's also has world class handling. I think Chevy knocked it out of the park with this one.

__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #3
Front Runner

 
Drives: Chevy Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I just saw this video. It puts the Z28 lap next to the ZL1 lap. You can see the speeds, rpm, Gs, etc... of the cars side by side. It's really interesting to see the speeds the Z28 is going at different parts of the track vs the ZL1... a car that's also has world class handling. I think Chevy knocked it out of the park with this one.

Yes, they did. The Z/28 is phenomenal car!!!! Notice how planted the Z/28 is and how the camera is bobbing around in the ZL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark72 View Post

So the Z28 beats the ZL1 by 3.8 seconds!!
That not much for 20K in cost difference.
Maybe some different tires would close the gap.
I bought the ZL1 for the extra creature comforts!
Are you trying to justify your purchase?

BTW, the 3.8 second gap would've been larger had it not started raining on the Z/28's run. Not a matter of opinion, more of a matter of fact. The video speaks for itself. FWIW, most aren't buying Z/28's for 20k difference from a ZL1. Also, tires only will not make the difference between the two.

Last edited by Front Runner; 07-06-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
hammdo
Circle Member Want-A-Be
 
hammdo's Avatar
 
Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 L99 LSA SC Z/LE
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 3,851
3.8 seconds on a road course like that I believe is huge. The ZL1 gives 300 lbs to the Z/28, but the Z/28 is built for courses like this and really not a street/daily driver.

If the ZL1 gave up the creature comforts it would close the gap -- but I'd bet it would certainly need some suspension upgrades to get there.

If I bought a Z/28, it would be mostly for track and I'd leave it untouched/unchanged -- too valuable just the way it is.

Z/28 is an awesome car.

ZL1 is a different animal/purpose.

Same with the 1LE...

Love them all!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
Front Runner

 
Drives: Chevy Vehicles
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
3.8 seconds on a road course like that I believe is huge. The ZL1 gives 300 lbs to the Z/28, but the Z/28 is built for courses like this and really not a street/daily driver.

If the ZL1 gave up the creature comforts it would close the gap -- but I'd bet it would certainly need some suspension upgrades to get there.

If I bought a Z/28, it would be mostly for track and I'd leave it untouched/unchanged -- too valuable just the way it is.

Z/28 is an awesome car.

ZL1 is a different animal/purpose.

Same with the 1LE...

Love them all!

-Don
Gotta disagree with the statement in bold. It's a great street car also. I speak from experience. It's just as streetable as the ZL1 is. The main difference is the ride is more firm (not harsh) and the tires like to throw things.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #6
SSeniorMoment

 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99 IOM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,110
I'd like to see them both cammed out on the track together.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Nor Cal ZL1

 
Nor Cal ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,325
The ZL1 at the ring on the same treadwear rated tires would easily be 10 seconds faster than the recorded time.... easily. At a real track like Laguna or etc the Z/28 is going to smoke it. Either way there both kick ass.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
hammdo
Circle Member Want-A-Be
 
hammdo's Avatar
 
Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 L99 LSA SC Z/LE
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Gotta disagree with the statement in bold. It's a great street car also. I speak from experience. It's just as streetable as the ZL1 is. The main difference is the ride is more firm (not harsh) and the tires like to throw things.
That's fine, no problem, but comparing the ZL1 vs Z/28, the ZL1 has the creature comforts and that is what I was referring to from a daily driver perspective.

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #9
JB12ZL1
 
Drives: victory red Camaro ZL1
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lynnfield Ma
Posts: 456
I'd say a car 300 lbs heavier with only 80 more horses and $20,000 lower price tag being so close to the Z28 a track specific car only show's how good the ZL1 is. I love mine and I'll keep til I die LOL!
JB12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 PM   #10
370zyzfr1
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Yes, they did. The Z/28 is phenomenal car!!!! Notice how planted the Z/28 is and how the camera is bobbing around in the ZL1.



Are you trying to justify your purchase?

BTW, the 3.8 second gap would've been larger had it not started raining on the Z/28's run. Not a matter of opinion, more of a matter of fact. The video speaks for itself. FWIW, most aren't buying Z/28's for 20k difference from a ZL1. Also, tires only will not make the difference between the two.

You're kidding right? Same tires would make a huge difference. If you put zl1 tires (same size) on the z28, it won't get close to that time.

You Throw 4k into the zl1 and you easily make up for the time diff and more.

Just my opinion.
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #11
backeddy

 
backeddy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Ramon, Ca
Posts: 1,333
Here we go again...(eyes roll), there is a reason there is no MRC in the Z28....hint it is no where near as fast on the track. It lacks the feedback that the spool valve or monotube (1le) has and It does not talk to you at the limit like the other 2 do. I have done 300-400 laps in one and was never comfortable with controlling the car with just the throttle at the limit. In the 1LE I can slide the car from rumble strip to rumble strip and stop it at the edge of disaster instantly....Don't try that in a ZL1....My shop full of track wrecked cars (zl1's) proves my point.
__________________
"Business IS the jungle, so don't be surprised when a lion eats you....."
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 AM   #12
mikeSS


 
mikeSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 c7
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 7,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark72 View Post
So the Z28 beats the ZL1 by 3.8 seconds!!
That not much for 20K in cost difference.
Maybe some different tires would close the gap.
I bought the ZL1 for the extra creature comforts!
I think people should think less of lap times, and more on what the car is.

Take a 911 turbo s and 911 GT3. the turbo will put down the same time as the GT3 or better in some case. but the experience you get from both are is different. They feel different even if the times are the same.

my point is that the Z/28 FEELS different. I would take the Z/28 on the tack any day over a ZL1 even if the times were the same.
__________________
2010 camaro cammed- sold
2015 C7 Z51- current
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #13
Shark72
 
Shark72's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 ZL1, 1972 Stingray
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Drivers Seat
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Here we go again...(eyes roll), there is a reason there is no MRC in the Z28....hint it is no where near as fast on the track. It lacks the feedback that the spool valve or monotube (1le) has and It does not talk to you at the limit like the other 2 do. I have done 300-400 laps in one and was never comfortable with controlling the car with just the throttle at the limit. In the 1LE I can slide the car from rumble strip to rumble strip and stop it at the edge of disaster instantly....Don't try that in a ZL1....My shop full of track wrecked cars (zl1's) proves my point.
Corvette ZR1, Ferrari, Audi even Shelby GT350 use mag shocks can't be all that bad.

Magnetic suspension is described as the fastest reacting suspension in the world as sensors monitor the road surface up to 1000 times per second and an ECU can make variations within a few milliseconds resulting in the possibility of multiple damping variations being made in a second.
__________________
2015 ZL1, #928, BVM, MN6
Shark72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark72 View Post
So the Z28 beats the ZL1 by 3.8 seconds!!
That not much for 20K in cost difference.
Maybe some different tires would close the gap.
I bought the ZL1 for the extra creature comforts!
Someone seems a little sensitive.

If you watch the video, the ZL1 is up to 10 seconds behind the Z/28 until the rain hits. Even then, the only time the ZL1 gains ground is on the long straight towards the end were it should be faster.
__________________
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.