Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the Land of the GenIV Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 1,554
Road and Track review: BOSS302 VS SS1LE

The Mustang Boss 302 and Camaro 1LE head to head at Motown Mile

An old favorite and a new favorite face off.


By*Alex Kierstein*October 10, 2013*/ Photos by Marc Urbano

SLIDESHOW: MOTOWN MILE CAMARO 1LE VS. MUSTANG BOSS 302
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...?click=main_sr

It's no secret that we loved the recently-cancelled Ford Mustang Boss 302. It was a near-perfect example of this generation Mustang, universally admired by the staff. But it's gone, and while we wait for the 2015 Mustang to bow, Chevrolet's got a 1LE package available on the Camaro SS. As you might already know, that's basically a bunch of ZL1 bits (close-ratio transmission, a higher final drive ratio, a host of suspension changes) paired to the car's already-stout 426 hp V8.

By comparison, the Boss 302 has a 444 hp Coyote with a 7500 rpm redline, some of the coolest OEM sidepipe systems around, and an LSD out back. What it doesn't have are the massive 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 tires on both ends of the 1LE.So, how do the two stack up?

We put our Editor-in-Chief and noted hotshoe Larry Webster in both cars at our Motown Mile airport track, and asked him to tell us how the two stack up.

On the Boss 302:
The Boss is so wonderful because it's really charismatic. It sounds fantastic, it looks brilliant, and when you drive it, it's really wild and it's wooly. And if you turn off that traction control, and it'll go sideways in a minute. It'll spin the tires at will. I's just a beast.

They seem to have taken off just the top edge where it's not annoying, and that's the real trick to this car. It has tons and tons of character, but it doesn't annoy you. It is like that person that is really fun to be around and really energetic, but after two hours you are like "get me the f*** out of here." You don't have that with this car. That is one of the things I've always admired about the Boss 302.

While it's certainly approachable, you've got to know what you are doing because it is stupid fast. What's also neat about the Boss is that it would be a very good learning car because it will go sideways—way, way sideways—but you can catch it and you can recover. All of the things about counter-steering and what you do with the throttle all applies to it. Character is such a big part of that machine, it is such a joy to be around.

I think the fact that it's slower than the Camaro doesn't bother me.

Because it is not something you're going to take to the track every day. I think every time you get in it it is going to feel special, and not many cars deliver that sort of experience.

On the Camaro 1LE, and its massive tires:
The tires on the Camaro are an issue here, in a good way. It has these wider tires all around, and they're much higher-performing, grippier tires than the Boss 302 has. You can tell as soon as you turn the Camaro's wheel. The thing bites. I mean, it is a very responsive front end, even though it weighs a ton. And the Mustang just doesn't have that kind of grip. It can't keep up in the corners.

The big problem with the Mustang is how it's a constant fight when accelerating out of the corners to keep the thing from going sideways. With the Camaro, it is less powerful and it is geared taller than the Mustang, so you can roll in the gas sooner.

But it is not as lively, or as entertaining. That being said, the Camaro is a pretty brilliant car. I mean I get in it, and I want one, too. Which is shocking in and of itself. The Camaro does exactly what you tell it. It is very planted, it is super forgiving. I mean, you can do all kinds of dumb stuff. You can brake too late, you can trail brake it, you can do anything and nothing happens to surprise you. It telegraphs what is going to happen, that in about a second it's going to go sideways here, so you'd better be ready. And then it does it, and you can catch it and you can do whatever you need.

The only thing that really hurts the Camaro is that it's such a big car. If they could shrink it to 7/8ths the size, think about how awesome a thing it would be. The Mustang splits that difference pretty well, but it is still kind of a big car. I'm amazed how much I wish I could own both of these cars.

On transcending the muscle car genre:
I think both cars definitely transcend the muscle car idea because they are not as penalized by a heavy front weight bias as they used to be. They don't understeer like crazy like they used to. They are actually very balanced and almost neutral. Especially that Camaro. I can't remember the last time I've had a car doing perfect four wheel drifts. You hear everybody talk about that, but it's almost impossible to pull off. On the track, especially at a hairpin, you can trail brake the Camaro. And then the back end comes out and then the whole car is sliding sideways, rocketing towards the apex just beautifully. And not many cars pull that kind of thing off. So to have that in these machines that are like $30,000, these things are crazy impressive.

I mean think about a 370z, think about an old RX-8, any of those old Japanese cars, think about a BMW 1M. The 1LE and the Boss 302 give just as much feedback, and are rewarding even on the backroads. And they have the performance advantage of those big, simple V8s.

On which one he'd choose:
Between these two, I go back and forth. It is almost like the last one I drove the one I want. But I'd probably go with the Mustang just because the engine revs higher, it sounds a lot more delicious—that thing just wails. It is a very American sound. There is a higher degree of style in the Mustang, but it doesn't look like it is trying to be high-style. The Camaro is obviously this very flashy design, but it looks like it is trying to be this flashy design. The Mustang is like they've pulled the right cues forward, but it looks more mature, less video-gameish. I can see out of it a little better, it's more comfortable. It just presses the right buttons.

I think Ford understands that a sports car is about an experience, not numbers. There has to be some level of high performance. They get that, fine. But what is the difference between 4.4 and 4.0 seconds to 60? Nothing. You can't feel it. But all those other touch points, the way the shifter goes through the gate, the motor, the linearity of the brake pedal, the steering response, and all these other little cues that sum up to this thing that you are just overjoyed to be in and be driving? I think they get that almost better than anybody these days. Almost better than Ferrari, and Ferrari certainly gets that.

There's a diminishing return thing with power. The Camaro has 426 horsepower (which would have been crazy power not too long ago), but when I was driving it, I was thinking "meh, it's not that strong." Part of it is the weight, part of it is the gearing, which is too tall in that car, but I don't think more power is going to add to that equation.

For both companies, I think the goal from now on is making the cars lighter. As fun as these cars were, we had that Evora there at the same time, and jumping back into the Lotus, all I could think about was how much crisper the response was. The thing is so much more connected that this feeling of connection actually takes precedence over speed.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Mikamaro; 10-24-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the Land of the GenIV Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 1,554
No one read this or commented?
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
aggieguy13

 
aggieguy13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: MCKINNEY,TX
Posts: 1,278
my favorite stat>
Virginia Internation Raceway:
Lamborghini Murcialago/Nissan GT-R35- 2:53
Camaro 1LE- 2:55

/conversation
__________________

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Fred 6528
 
Fred 6528's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss
Join Date: May 2013
Location: va
Posts: 322
Road and Track needs to read C5 and rewrite their story. I read on here that the 1LE can beat the SS and GT 500 in a drag race because of the lighter wheels, 3:91 gears and the super duper gizmos and gadgets that make it faster. Yep I read it on the C5
Fred 6528 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
Road and Track needs to read C5 and rewrite their story. I read on here that the 1LE can beat the SS and GT 500 in a drag race because of the lighter wheels, 3:91 gears and the super duper gizmos and gadgets that make it faster. Yep I read it on the C5


Nice sarcasm there.

Drive a 1LE or even better OWN a 1LE and you will know how great the car is. There are better but not many at the price.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
mgm
 
mgm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 66
It drives me nuts when they talk about light weight cars and compare them to muscle cars that put down numbers as good or better than most sports cars. We all know that the Boss 302 is a great car but the 1LE just performs better because of tires, gearing, suspension tuning, etc.

I've had light weight sports cars with decent power but no going back for me.

They can eat the dust from my 4,000 lb ZL1!
__________________
Current: 2013 BRM ZL1 Coupe, Lyods floormats, all options except stripe on trunk, 1 of 136, #7,472. Previous: 2011 2LT/RS 6 speed manual coupe - SW with Orange interior. Billet Accessories, Lyods floormats, GM Splashguards, MGP Caliper Covers, GMPP Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Eibach Springs and Swaybars, BMR STB, Injen Long Tube CAI, HPP...
mgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the Land of the GenIV Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post
my favorite stat>
Virginia Internation Raceway:
Lamborghini Murcialago/Nissan GT-R35- 2:53
Camaro 1LE- 2:55

/conversation
2:55? Last time Ive check it was 2:58, no?
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast
 
kmm1412's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jamison, PA
Posts: 813
Typical Ford biased review with typical Stang Lover/Camaro Hater comments about the Camaro and its flash in the pan design (read jealousy) and how it's such a heavy car. Now the added excuse about the tires being the difference. Well, I say look at the results around the track between the 2 cars and which one comes out on top? Which one admittedly in the review handles the corners so much better? The Camaro, of course, and then the reviewer says he would pick the Mustang because he thinks it looks nicer? Why even bother going through the motions with both cars on the track if you are going to give the edge to a car because of its looks, in your opinion? Ford engineers have been bested by Al Oppenheiser and his team! Ford could have designed their car with better brakes and tires but chose not to! This appears to be a paid review to bail Ford's engineers out!

Some auto mags (and reviewers) are still are in denial that the 5th Gen Camaro is one hell of a car, and can't get past their Ford bias.

JMHO....
__________________
2011 2SS/RS 6M Imperial Blue Metallic|Cyber Gray Metallic Stripes|Gray Interior|Factory (KAE) Hurst Short Throw Shifter|Sunroof
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Roto-Fab IBM Engine & Radiator Covers|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the Land of the GenIV Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 1,554
Quote of the day:-''I think the fact that it's slower than the Camaro doesn't bother me.''*
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast
 
kmm1412's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jamison, PA
Posts: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Quote of the day:-''I think the fact that it's slower than the Camaro doesn't bother me.''*
That's because for him it was a beauty contest...
__________________
2011 2SS/RS 6M Imperial Blue Metallic|Cyber Gray Metallic Stripes|Gray Interior|Factory (KAE) Hurst Short Throw Shifter|Sunroof
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Roto-Fab IBM Engine & Radiator Covers|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
aggieguy13

 
aggieguy13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: MCKINNEY,TX
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro
Quote of the day:-''I think the fact that it's slower than the Camaro"



there i fixed it for you
__________________

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold
aggieguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the Land of the GenIV Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm1412 View Post
That's because for him it was a beauty contest...
What a Poseur!

How can you say that when youre at the track comparing ''dedicated'' track car!?
-''Yes! lets go racing but give me the good looking slower car.__________________''

Im stunned.
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 10-23-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the Land of the GenIV Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 1,554
Slow down at motown...what showdown?
No number to report? Didn't they have a watch at least?
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
SSeniorMoment
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99 IOM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 625
The author wrote the article before he turned the key on the Camaro.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
racerx1214
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 202
Gear is too tall?

What do they want? 4:56's?
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
kmm1412
The Bolt-On Beast
 
kmm1412's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IBM w/CGM Stripes
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Jamison, PA
Posts: 813
The author wrote the article before he turned the key on the Camaro.

^^^this
__________________
2011 2SS/RS 6M Imperial Blue Metallic|Cyber Gray Metallic Stripes|Gray Interior|Factory (KAE) Hurst Short Throw Shifter|Sunroof
MODS - 1LE Track Pack Suspension Upgrade|Kooks Custom Stepped Headers & HFCs|Cold Air Inductions Black CAI|ADM Performance Scoop|Vmax IBM CNC Ported Throttle Body|Rx Extreme IBM Catch Can & Breather|Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust w/Solo J-pipes|IBM Heritage Grill|LG ZL1 10 Spoke Replica Wheels w/Goodyear Supercar G2 Tires|Roto-Fab IBM Engine & Radiator Covers|463RWHP/459RWTQ Tune by Dale Cherry

kmm1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #17
kansjfr
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Coffeyville, KS
Posts: 126
I had an '08 Roush 427R Stage 3 Mustang before owing the Camaro. The Roush was rated at 435 hp, had a great exhaust note and a great, short-throw shifter. But it was much less refined that the Camaro, and because of that it often felt faster than it actually was. Also, on the Roush, no sunroof, no killer stereo, no heated seats, and the interior was plain Jane. The Camaro just appeals to me because it does handle better than the Roush, and there's no comparison in the creature comforts area. I think the Roush is pretty equivalent to the Boss 302's performance, and the Camaro is just an easier car to live with. Also, we don't have anyone in this area who could work on the Roush, and Roush parts are out-of-this-world expensive, and that was one of the main reasons I didn't keep it, along with the knowledge that the 2015 Mustang would be completely redone. I know the Roush isn't a Boss 302, but it's alot closer than a straight GT would be.
kansjfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
Punk_rider
 
Punk_rider's Avatar
 
Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 700
Weird review .. the guy doesn't know what he wants ...

He is comparing 2 track capable cars and says that finally, you don't care that much about performance.

He says Mustang design is more mature, less flashy, and actually prefers look over performance. Mature people, I guess, don't care much 'bout look (besides, Boss 302 stickers aren't flashy??)

He says Camaro is better and actually, he prefers the Mustang because that car sucks, spins, slides and so on ...

At the end, maybe that "not that fast feeling" comes from the fact the car is more planted, more stable and ... performs better?
__________________
I'm kindly asking: "May I have a supercharged Z28 with 550 hp please? By the end of 2009 would be awesome. Thanks"
Punk_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #19
mcsoul
 
Drives: some day soon a 1LE I hope
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: 75089
Posts: 130
That article should be an embarrassment to R&T.

Says the Camaro is faster, does not say at what. Says one car goes 4.0 the other
4.4, does not tell you which. We can guess that the B302 does the 4.0 which by
the only measure of speed the author includes, actually makes the B302 "faster".
If he did take these track cars to a road course, the numbers must have been too
embarrassing to the B302 to even include in the story.

It's obvious that the author just likes the Boss more, thinks it looks better and sounds
better, which is fine; but guess what I think the 1LE looks better and sounds better.
I wonder if I can become a R&T contributor now?
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
Cody6.2
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 535
So basically it's another article talking about how thw 1LE's tires make a big difference. It's also just another fall back for people to use when a Mustang beats them in a sanctioned stop light to stop light match up. Truth be told 98% of the people on here wouldn't be able to drive their 1LE in a manner that would make a difference so who cares?
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
GearheadSS
Member #63
 
GearheadSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Lots
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas/Greenville, Texas
Posts: 1,964
That guy sounds like a moron.
__________________
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the Land of the GenIV Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieguy13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro
Quote of the day:-''I think the fact that it's slower than the Camaro"

there i fixed it for you
nice! but at least try to keep all the words from his sentence!!
-''I think the fact that does bother me, it's slower than the Camaro.''
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #23
Mikamaro
Mike
 
Mikamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: A 2010 CAMARO SS LS3 1LE Track Pack
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the Land of the GenIV Camaros & Firebirds.
Posts: 1,554
Note that The guy that wrote the article (Alex Kierstein) is not the guy who hot lap the cars...(Larry Webster) without any quotes taken directly from Webster, it's hard to dissect who says what about the cars.
__________________

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 10-24-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #24
White_SS/RS

 
White_SS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm1412 View Post
That's because for him it was a beauty contest...
And we all know beauty is In the eye of the beholder! Camaro for the win!!
__________________
Fueled by recycled dinosaurs! Go Green!
White_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #25
69Tom
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
That guy sounds like a moron.
I agree. I actually like the Boss 302s, so despite owning a 1LE, I have no problem if someone thinks it might be a better car.

However, when you say stupid sh*t like this.... The Camaro has 426 horsepower (which would have been crazy power not too long ago), but when I was driving it, I was thinking "meh, it's not that strong." ...

...along with his comment about the gearing, anything he might have a valid point on just goes out the window. They should be embarassed to have that guy as a writer for their magazine.
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.