Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
13-year-old with pellet gun shot 7 times...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/25...autopsy-finds/

It's really a tragic incident. Don't blame the cops at all though.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Actual photo of the replica firearm. Blame goes to parents who purchased it and allowed their son to leave the home with it.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
PoorMansCamaro

thanks for the pic!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I'm assuming that's an airsoft gun. I own half a dozen of them. They're still back at my parents' house in Ohio.

This:

Quote:
"It's very tragic and sad. It just happened so quick," said Noel Nunez, 15, a sophomore at nearby Elsie Allen High School. Still, he said deputies should have been able to tell the difference between a real gun and a replica weapon.

A Sonoma County sheriff's deputy twice told the boy to drop the weapon, but he instead raised it in the deputy's direction, police said at a news conference Wednesday...

...The pellet gun did not have an orange-tipped barrel like other replica firearms, including the plastic handgun found in the boy's waistband, police said.
...while tragic, proves that it was the kid's fault. #1 rule of airsoft guns is you NEVER paint over the orange tip. That's the only way police officers can get a good idea that it's not a real gun. Second, it's just common sense that you don't walk around your neighborhood or even your front yard carrying one, and you definitely shouldn't raise it towards a police officer.

So as sad as this is, it was the kid's own damn fault.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
And now the race card has been thrown...

Another man named Joey Johnson from a group called the Stop Mass Incarceration Network also attended the vigil.
"I think they would have gone at it differently if it had been a white kid," said Johnson. "I think that they would have used better judgment. I think that we live in a society that is saturated with people being treated differently based on the color of their skin."

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-...-deputy/nbYH6/
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post

Another man named Joey Johnson from a group called the Stop Mass Incarceration Network also attended the vigil.
"I think they would have gone at it differently if it had been a white kid," said Johnson. "I think that they would have used better judgment. I think that we live in a society that is saturated with people being treated differently based on the color of their skin."

wow...just...wow
Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
jewel25
She's all mine!!!!

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
Quote:

That article was hard to read, so many grammatical errors. I know I am not perfect with my writing but that person is suppose to be a professional.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
strych9
Gone Euro!

Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I'm assuming that's an airsoft gun. I own half a dozen of them. They're still back at my parents' house in Ohio.

This:

...while tragic, proves that it was the kid's fault. #1 rule of airsoft guns is you NEVER paint over the orange tip. That's the only way police officers can get a good idea that it's not a real gun. Second, it's just common sense that you don't walk around your neighborhood or even your front yard carrying one, and you definitely shouldn't raise it towards a police officer.

Agreed 100%. Great rule of thumb: do what the cops tell you to do, no questions asked. You can deal with improper treatment later; death is permanent.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
Quote:
Actual photo of the replica firearm. Blame goes to parents who purchased it and allowed their son to leave the home with it.
That looks pretty damn real.....

Shouldn't the real story be that these cops have to patrol an area where a guy walking with an ak is entirely plausible...... LOL

There is no way they could have known that this wasn't a real gun. And you certainly can't hesitate too long when he is starting to point it at you....
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

This:

I have an MP5 at home fully black with a single point tactical sling on it. You would have no idea it was a fake. This should be common knowledge right now that you don't take something like this out of the home. If somebody with a real firearm sees you, and you point that gun at them, I do not blame them for shooting you. Although 7 times is a little excessive.
Quote:

Oh for ****s sake.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65

Every time I took one of my airsoft guns out of my house it was always in a case or bag. You never know who's going to mistake it for a real firearm.

It's a matter of common sense really. I don't see how anyone could conceivably take this kid's side.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
i saw some of the people in his neighborhood complaining last night.
that gun is way too realistic for someone to be on the street with it.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Gtkilrss

Drives: 2012 ss
Only thing I see that I see a red flag is the 8 shots fired and 7 hits. Why so many shots fired?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtkilrss View Post
Only thing I see that I see a red flag is the 8 shots fired and 7 hits. Why so many shots fired?
yeah, that's the one thing that is slightly off. was it 8 shots by one cop, or 4 for each cop? I think there were two cops there...

edit: nevermind, says only one deputy fired, I guess...
Old 10-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
First time I've seen that pic. That shouldn't be in the hands of a child on the street. Shame on the parents. I'm not saying pull that product from the market. But dad-gum, too real looking to be carrying around anywhere and not expect problems to happen.

As far as this being a race issue. I hope not. I hope those very deputies responded exactly the same way they would for anyone else. Talk to cops, they are trained to do certain things in certain situations, I'm guessing these guys fell back on their training not some emotion that said this is a kid of one color or another, so we have to shoot him.

It's time to rise up above racism in this country. I know it exists, come on, I live in Alabama. But I believe it is going to take one generation to step up and say this is it, it stops now, we will not perpetuate the thought process. Our children will not think like this. And that absolutely has to come from all sides. Racism is not magically saved for white people in the south. I have seen people of all races all over the country who had racists tendencies. You see the news when someone has to always blame something on the issue of race and that detracts from the real issues at hand. It's definitely time for that to stop.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
yeah, that's the one thing that is slightly off. was it 8 shots by one cop, or 4 for each cop? I think there were two cops there...
Two officers, all rounds fired by one of them.

Does seem slightly excessive. I think that was the result of panic more than anything else.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #17
AZCamaroFan
Coming Soon

Drives: Camaros
the cops always do that.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
Its a damn shame that his parents didnt give a shit enough about him to prevent him from bringing this thing out in the streets. Now a days with schools and military installations getting shot up it is not a time to neglect common sense.

DMVC5
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: EB Expedition, 2010 2SS/RS M6
If it is an airsoft gun, they remarkably look like the real thing except for the orange flash suppressor. You would be completely fooled with the 2 airsoft ARs I own, laser sight, flashlight and red dot reflex sight. One actually is licensed by Colt with Colt markings. They can also come with a completely metal body. Sad it happened and surprised it doesn't happen more often. If I'm not mistaken, one has to be 18 to purchase.
Nitrous Outlet Plate (progressive, fuel hose upgrade, remote opener, heater, filter, console switches), LNC2000, ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers, Jet Hot coated LTs, JRE SCT Tune, CAI, Scoop, Rx Catch Can, Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res, Metco loop, Momentum Tunnel Brace, TSW Nurb 18" 555 & 555R, Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods, Autometer wideband, Fesler Pillar Pod, LED strips (int), Lloyds floor & trunk mats, LED DRL/front turn & license plate, DRL harness, VLEDs tail lights, Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17 @ 112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
WarMachineZL1
War Machine

Drives: 2012 Ashen Grey ZL1 #00012
Police will fire until the perceived threat is neutralized. If the kid was still standing after the first few shots, the officer is trained to continue. Not to mention the fact that in life or death situations, adrenalin is pumping and muscle memory takes over. I have numerous friends in law enforcement and have heard stories about officers continuing to "fire" even once the gun was empty.

I feel bad for the family, but as has been said here many times, the kid should not have been out in public with a gun that looks that real and definitely should have dropped it the second the police showed up.

As for excessive force, it is easy to arm-chair quarterback what should have been done or what was excessive, but I am willing to give the trained professionals the benefit of the doubt in lieu of evidence to the contrary.
WarMachineZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #21
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: I drive the green one
Probably the only one that thinks this but shouldn't have the officers fired either a warning or a none fatal body shot ?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Probably the only one that thinks this but shouldn't have the officers fired either a warning or a none fatal body shot ?
No. When you squeeze the trigger you have to mean it. It's called a last resort for a reason.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #23
jewel25
She's all mine!!!!

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS
this is the only gun my child will have

or this

Old 10-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewel25 View Post
this is the only gun my child will have

or this

My mother thought the same thing.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #25
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
I think the police officers made the right decision, however, the 7-rounds fired was definitely excessive. This is a lose lose situation, but you can't blame the police officers for doing their job.

It's bad parenting IMO, I know that and I don't even have kids yet!

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote