Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
phantom
phantom

Drives: 2012 ZL1 CRT 6M
Appears supply and demand, technology obsolescence, changing interest and NEWEST hot car are all at fault. I'm keeping mine.
phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
One word ( Stingray) but I like the ZL1 better .
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #20
BIGTIME

Drives: Lexus LS460
What blows my mind is that most of the cars are all under 2-3k miles. The highest mileage I saw was 6500 miles. Why the hell would you drop such a great car?? For me the first year or two is the honeymoon phase when I own a car. I couldn't imagine just dumping a car I loved in a year. I was looking at a white convertible automatic they had a local Porsche dealership. The car only had 1500 miles on it and it was selling for 15k under sticker !!!! When I bought both of my Lexus sedans they offered me the option of a 1 yr used option and they would knock off 1500-2000 bucks for the same mileage. For the same 65- 70k I also have options like a 1-2 yr old Nissan GTR or a brand new Lexus ISF. I know the ZL1 is a different type of animal all together but I was looking for a reliable very fast car that will put a smile on my face and never make me late for work as my daily driver. What concerned me was when I google used Lexus ISFs model yr 2012 or even 2013 literally nothing will come up within 500 miles.

I really appreciate the honesty and the great feed back fellas. C5 is a great forum and community.

Thanks again!
BIGTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
What blows my mind is that most of the cars are all under 2-3k miles. The highest mileage I saw was 6500 miles. Why the hell would you drop such a great car?? For me the first year or two is the honeymoon phase when I own a car. I couldn't imagine just dumping a car I loved in a year. I was looking at a white convertible automatic they had a local Porsche dealership. The car only had 1500 miles on it and it was selling for 15k under sticker !!!! When I bought both of my Lexus sedans they offered me the option of a 1 yr used option and they would knock off 1500-2000 bucks for the same mileage. For the same 65- 70k I also have options like a 1-2 yr old Nissan GTR or a brand new Lexus ISF. I know the ZL1 is a different type of animal all together but I was looking for a reliable very fast car that will put a smile on my face and never make me late for work as my daily driver. What concerned me was when I google used Lexus ISFs model yr 2012 or even 2013 literally nothing will come up within 500 miles.

I really appreciate the honesty and the great feed back fellas. C5 is a great forum and community.

Thanks again!
Well, ppl aren't trading in the Lexus ISF because that is the top dog for Lexus. The stingray is Chevy's new top dog and hottest to most. When the ZL1 used to be. Plain and simple!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #22
MIZL1

Drives: Just a few!
I really like my 2012, bought it for performance and GM heritage. With that said GM has always skimmed on the interiors but still seem to wear well. The reality is that its going to out perform a long list of cars with better interiors for much less money.

Buy the ZLI for happiness while driving and a top of the line leather recliner when your not.
MIZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #23
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i just bought a new 2 LT black vert, 2013. i am 55 and have a 9 yr old son. i want a back seat, even if its small. my dealer still has a 13 new yellow ZL1 vert in showroom, and has had it for a long time. the top has been down at least since June. i woiuldnt think that would be good. its is priced at 58K now. i think its a beautul car, but a car like that is a weekend car at best, and not feasible for daily driver. then, in same showroom is a new 14 vette. guess, how many people around it versus the ZL1? 0 at the ZL1, and about 8 to 10 around the sold vette. its the new kid on the block no doubt. but, the ZL1 still has its place. it still has a back seat and a beautiful car. hats off to you folks on here who have one. Most of the population will never see the day they can plop 60K on a camaro. you guys are fortunate to be able to afford the price of the car and its maintainence and operating costs. enjoy those ZL1!
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
snackbar64

Drives: SW ZL1, A6, Carbon, Nav, MR, 10 spk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
i just bought a new 2 LT black vert, 2013. i am 55 and have a 9 yr old son. i want a back seat, even if its small. my dealer still has a 13 new yellow ZL1 vert in showroom, and has had it for a long time. the top has been down at least since June. i woiuldnt think that would be good. its is priced at 58K now. i think its a beautul car, but a car like that is a weekend car at best, and not feasible for daily driver. then, in same showroom is a new 14 vette. guess, how many people around it versus the ZL1? 0 at the ZL1, and about 8 to 10 around the sold vette. its the new kid on the block no doubt. but, the ZL1 still has its place. it still has a back seat and a beautiful car. hats off to you folks on here who have one. Most of the population will never see the day they can plop 60K on a camaro. you guys are fortunate to be able to afford the price of the car and its maintainence and operating costs. enjoy those ZL1!
Amen to that brother. I can speak for myself and I am sure for a few others in saying I am truly blessed to own this car. The most expensive car I will ever buy without winning the lottery and I am truly lucky. My wife is also an invaluable part of this relationship.

On another note, don't be fooled by the new Kid on the block C7. The Corvette is probably one of the slowest selling vehicles GM makes next to the Chevy Volt. The Camaro has enjoyed strong sales since the 2010 models hit the dealer lots. The ZL1 is the top dog so it is an even more calculated purchase for many potential owners and thus takes longer to move.

(Hey, I think I just solved their problem. Why not make a good looking car that people actually want to drive with the Volt technology? C7 with Volt drivetrain for Monday-Friday commuting that can be switched off at the press of a button in favor the 500 hp V8 for the weekend) Cadillac looks to be close with the ELR.

Last edited by snackbar64; 11-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #25
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
I am wondering if we will see this many ZL1s on the market once the 5th gen camaro production ends.

For me, this is a car that doesn't come around often (I can only think of the '70 Chevelle SS 454 as being the last non-corvette Chevrolet that approaches the prowess of the 5th gen ZL1; The ls1 and ls3 camaros get an honorable mention), and it would be a missed opportunity if one decided to trade a ZL1 away (granted if the car is in excellent condition) or worse still, pass up an opportunity to own one.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #26
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I still haven't seen a ZL1 on the streets, several on new lots and none on the used car lots.
Except for going to F Body gathering, which doesn't count as the street I think, I've seen besides mine 1 Black Vert in Miami last January, and one Red one near me. I know of a lady that bought a Rally Yellow one but I haven't seen her drive it, just saw pictures through a mutual friend.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #27
redredrage

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
Appears supply and demand, technology obsolescence, changing interest and NEWEST hot car are all at fault. I'm keeping mine.
your zl1 is freaking sweet.... the colors are awsome, especially the hood
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #28
ZED SLED

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 Vert M6, 2015 Terrain
I would guess that that a lot of people trading them thought they could afford it until they got their new insurance premium.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #29
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
lol. its the fuel and rubber killing me. over $5k in fuel last year plus 1 set of front tires and 2 sets of rear tires per year.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #30
eightup

Drives: 2013 zl1
in the long run the ZL1 will rule. in 10 years google the ZL1 then the lexus you will see the difference
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #31
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
It seems to me that many people that own them, bought them because they were coolest,newest gadget around and they always have to have that.

I bought mine because it is a very comfortable and capable street car. The stereo is not the best, but the magnetic ride really is. It is reliable, solid and comfortable.

Also, I like to go to track days when I can and it can hold it's own there. So, it's a reliable, solid, fast and comfortable street car that is also track ready.

If someone is looking for the latest, coolest widget, then they are looking at C7's now and they are typically people that don't keep their cars that long and they can afford the depreciation. That will slow down as things settle in. Don't forget they have only been around since 2012 so the initial rush is over.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #32
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
I strongly suggest going and driving all the cars your interested in. C7s are amazing. I would at least sit in or drive one before committing to anything else. Same with the GTR, GT500, CTSV, etc. Coming from a LS to any of these cars will be a big change.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #33
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
I would total agree. Some people buy cars to own the newest hottest thing. Same thing happened with the Gen5 Camaro when it first came out. When I first bought my ZL1 I saw a ton. Now they have become rare to see on the street.

I love my car and drive it every day.

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #34
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post

Thanks again!
1) A lot of people buy such a high end car and can not afford the payments and either get it taken back by the banks,or trade it in to save their credit.
2) Those people that are well to do but not rich & can afford to buy a car and take a loss every couple of yrs just to be able to get the newest thing on the block trade in their cars..
3) Those that are rich and just buy anything anytime they want just buy it and get another toy whenever they want
4) GM loyalist that have to have a couple Badest toy every time they can afford it so they have a ZR1 & a ZL1 ,but now the C7 is out they trade in the ZL1 till the new ZR1 come out..knowing in a couple yrs they can re buy the ZL1 for less than they sold their ZL1 for and make up the difference in the loss..
5)those like my self purchased it on a whim and know realize it doesn't fit there lifestyle and may trade it in or sell for something that fits it better after a short time frame,or having checked it off their bucket list,lol
6) If you look at any make of high end car other than fords GT40 they all end up on the used cars lots for the same reason and in the same volume,and with the same $ amount of loss. Doesn't make it any less of a car,and it will still sell new to those that have to have it new,or used to those that have to have it,but are willing to wait a yr or 2 till it cost ten grand less with a few 1000's miles on it
7) People who like myself take it to places like FASTLANE increase the power enjoy it(i dont do the following) race it,test it,and then remove all of the parts and sell it as stock & to move on the the next toy.
) As far as other used cars,the GT40 3 with 1000 miles of myself ,IFA 3 within myself but those don't really count as not in the same price range but just as a example of other high end used cars
) The IFS i found 4 for sale used within 1000 miles of myself last night,but doesn't mean its a up to date list as i used Google when i went looking for my ZL1 and they were all gone being red tin coat was what i really wanted instead of black when i went to the dealer...
) I say buy it if its what you want, you wont be disappointed trust us....
) As far as any of the interior pieces everyone has their opinions ,but if they were unhappy they should of either sat in it,test drove it first,or relized GM is GM period....plus the seats & steering wheels are great,really soft much better than leather ,try the difference after your car has sat in the hot summer all day....ALL OF THE ABOVE IS JUST IMOP..
) OH the great thing is for those that will mod their ZL1's is that there are some great modded ZL1's on the market that buyer's cans literally save 15k -20k on buying as is !!!
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346589 CHECK OUT THE BUILDING OF MY RANCH FOR DISABLED VETS, COMPLETE WITH A GUN RANGE &, PAINT BALL COURSE coming...garage for car shows,and a workout & rehab center hopfull
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote