Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #18
ConceptVBS

Drives: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
Hyundai did a great job in setting the car up for its capabilities. I think the jury will be out on Hyundai's engines and how well they are tuned and how easy they are to mod as they have never had a real performance car on this level before.
Well, Rhys Millen's Genesis coupe drift car has a turbo V6 running about 580 to the wheels on stock block and stock pistons/rods. It's the only car in the competition running a stock component engine. That just shows you how sturdy this engine is.
ConceptVBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:42 AM   #19
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
1SS for sure + polished wheels + boston acoustics
Quit copying me
Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #20
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 2SS MT 45th AE
I may have cross shopped the Genesis but only because of the "gotta have it" factor, lol.

In all seriousness, this is no contest for me. The torque matters here.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #21
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
Plus, how much better does the genesis handle as opposed to the camaro? Its not like the camaro is a brick on wheels, it has irs.
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #22
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Quit copying me
hey man good taste is good taste!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #23
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAT 79 View Post
Plus, how much better does the genesis handle as opposed to the camaro? Its not like the camaro is a brick on wheels, it has irs.
The Camaro is heavy. real heavy. Just because it has a IRS does not mean its going to handle perfectly. Weight is a factor on twisty as well. Now saying this, the Camaro handles pretty decent. From what I have read from some articles, a few do not like the steering but it still handles ok.

The Genn Coupe handles pretty well. Its quick and very responsive in the turns. The Steering is quick on that car.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
All right, if we're gonna be bench racing here ... lets get some numbers up shall we? These are from a couple sources and are typical results, not best, worst, or average.

spec - --SS - Genesis 3.8 Track
0-60:- -4.7---- 5.7
1/4:---13.0 ---14.3
mph ---110 ---100
skid: --0.87 ---0.90
60-0:---105 --111
f/r dist: 52/48 -55/45
slalom: --68-----68
MSRP ~$31k ~30k

The only performance advantage that the Genesis has is skidpad and thats fairly minor - equaled our by the Camaros superior braking and better weight distribution. The slalom is identical so I'd say that they are near equals when it comes to conquering corners. Then the SS crushes it in acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceptVBS View Post
Well, Rhys Millen's Genesis coupe drift car has a turbo V6 running about 580 to the wheels on stock block and stock pistons/rods. It's the only car in the competition running a stock component engine. That just shows you how sturdy this engine is.
How in the hell is a turbo a stock component?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #25
Geno

Drives: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe GT
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe16 View Post
Did anyone else consider going with the fully loaded Hyundai Genesis Coupe before they decided on the Camaro? It was one of the cars I thought about and I recently got to see it in person. It is a MUCH prettier can in person than in the ads and videos. I was floored really. So thoughts on the comparison? The prices are about the same, I want to know what you think about how they stack up.
Off the line they are even to 50 and from there on the Genesis beats it by .6 at 100, Motor Trend test. This car has balls!!! I love it!
After waiting over 8 months for a 2LT and having them build it wrong, I bought a new Genesis 3.8 coupe GT/auto. It was love at first sight and I still, after one month, can't stay out of it. Oh, I am a 67 yo kid, will never be old enough for a 4 door sedan!!!
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #26
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Drives: 2009 TT 335/2009 GSX-R 1000/ECT..
First off, no one even gave the 3.8 track genesis coupe a chance. Yes, the ss does have a 114 hp advantage. It should be quicker, thats common sense. However some of the numbers for the Genesis coupe are wrong. I have seen numbers as low as 5.3-5.4 for the 0-60. Who says they wont be better with a quality driver? maybe 5.1-5.2? I have also heard of the genesis coupe running mid 13's in the 1/4. Not bad for a v6 Hyundai. I seen a few posts comparing the two in price. I could spend 31k for a fully loaded 3.8 track, for a fully loaded SS I am looking at over 40k. As for the looks of the car, I would have to pick the Hyundai Genesis hands down. Don't get me wrong, I love the camaro. I just believe that the Genesis has some really sleek curves, and has a really aggressive front end. The back end of the car tops it off. Now to the interior. Hands down, Hyundai wins again. I am sorry, but if you look inside of the new camaro the interior is bland as shit and looks cheap as hell. The Genesis has a nice interior and soon to be navi option inside the car. Has a pretty nice interior. I did notice another member was talking about the limited performance parts that will be available for the Genesis coupe. Wrong again, many companies right now are working on superchargers and turbo kits, as well as the basic bolt ons. One of the bigger named companies are Hennessey. Many people are over looking this car because its a Hyundai. Not a smart idea. This car has a lot of potential. I am hearing it can handle around 550 on the stock block. I'd take this car over many other cars on the road today. If I had to choose between the two, hands down its the genesis coupe, but the camaro is still pretty sick. When it comes down to it you have to ask yourself this, do I want the v8 or the v6?
DropTheGloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #27
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

btw this car is very responsive to a basic tune and bolt ons. I have seen 40 hp+ gains on just a nice tune and exhaust. here are a few pics of a 3.8 track, kinda what I wanna do to mine when I get it this fall.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #28
ConceptVBS

Drives: POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

How in the hell is a turbo a stock component?
Stock internals.
ConceptVBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #29
SWAT 79

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS
The Hyundai Genesis does not compare to a Camaro ss. It barely beat the v6, and even then it came down to 1 or 2 points, which for me didn't matter. Many other cars compare with an ss, but a hyundai genesis is not one of them, It looks just like a acura rsx, not very stylish at all.
SWAT 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #30
blinkme323

Drives: -
Wow, it's amazing how misinformed some people are about the Genesis. I'm not saying it's better than the SS, but it's certainly not the joke that some posters are making it out to be. I'm assuming 99% of them haven't even seen one in person, much less driven one before.
blinkme323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #31
DropTheGloves
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Wow, it's amazing how misinformed some people are about the Genesis.
I agree. Kinda funny how some people can be so ignorant. People really need to get past the "It's a Hyundai" factor. I don't care what it beat. The matter is, is that it beat the v6 camaro, in which is the same in horsepower numbers. People need to stop saying "It barely beat it", no one cares, a win is a win. Way too many fan boys of one certain type of car.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #32
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Must be a lot of "buyers remorse" topics over on the genesis forums. I can't imagine any other reason for so many of them to come here and try and pick fights with a clearly superior vehicle.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #33
rayhawk

Drives: Trailblazer SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheGloves View Post
I agree. Kinda funny how some people can be so ignorant. People really need to get past the "It's a Hyundai" factor. I don't care what it beat. The matter is, is that it beat the v6 camaro, in which is the same in horsepower numbers. People need to stop saying "It barely beat it", no one cares, a win is a win. Way too many fan boys of one certain type of car.
Way too many fan boys of Camaros on a camaro forum? What is the world coming to? And 580 rwhp on a 3.8L Hyundai engine? That is probably running race fuel and I doubt it would last 10,000 miles, so I don't think the "it hasn't broken yet" argument really holds any water when talking about durability.

To talk about aftermarket parts, how many choices in cams do you have, how many different heads can you buy, how many stroker crankshafts can you buy, how many aftermarket intakes, exhausts, etc. can you buy for the Hyundai? Not very many, so some $10k turbo kit to turn your Hyundai engine into a pile of parts within 20,000 miles doesn't seem like a very good option to me. If you like Hyundai's, that is your choice, I am sure they must have some forums for them; but it is pathetic to come on a Camaro forum talking about how great a Hyundai is.

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #34
rayhawk

Drives: Trailblazer SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
I would have to disagree with this. The Aftermarket right now for the Genn coupe is huge, and steadily growing. Remember, this car had a head start in Korea well before it hit the states. I would dare say that there are more aftermarket parts available for the Genn Coupe than the Camaro right now.

The Top Genn Coupe btw has leather, bluetooth, hmm actually everything the 2SS has..right down to the bembro brakes. Just lacking in the N/A power dept really....

As far as which will be worth more ? Hard to say really...I mean if we use 3rd or 4th Gen Camaro's as a example...
Well, considering there are 10, 20, 30, and 40 year old camaros being driven, restored, etc., and I have never seen a Hyundai running or worth anything any older than about 8 years, I think I will give the edge to the Camaro. Not sure what point you were trying to make about how much a 20 year old Camaro costs? LOL, find me a 20 year old Hyundai.

07 2WD Trailblazer SS, LS1 E-fans, 4" FWI, pcmforless tune
rayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genesis coupe, hyundai