Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #171
twistedwedge

Drives: 2010 SSOM SS
booo....dumb idea GM. The four cylinder version is a waste-even if it has 260 hp. IMO the car wont get great fuel economy due to the fact it is going to be HEAVY. Think of a 1/2 ton chevy p/u with a 4.3 v6. Most of the ones I know of get worse mpg than the v8...

Add to that a "muscle car" with a 4 cylinder? Ghey...
Old 03-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #172
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
ok, to those i4 hater haters, we understand there was a 4 in 82-86, but at least me personally, i think it was a flop and a bit of a disgrace. we're just trying to preserve the traditional name of camaro. in any event, i'm aggravated the 6 got detuned. also, if the ss turns out to be more than around $31-32, i'm going with a 06 goat. come on gm, make it more than competitive with the stang, or u ain't gona be selling no 100 large a year!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #173
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Can't we all just get along? I refuse to add to the mass of stupidity here. You people are freaking out about something that doesn't affect you. Take a few minutes thinking about clouds, count to 10 while holding your breath, count sheep, whatever.

If you plan on getting a V8, get a v8 and just chill.
If you plan on buying the v6, get a v6 and be happy.
If you were thinking about a v6 and now might want a 4 cyl Turbo, that's great too.
If you think the 4 cylinder camaro engine is a disgrace because no other pony car has had a 4 cyl, look at the 80's mustangs.

If you are concerned about the "preimum price" comment, let's wait and see if this is explained within a few months. We'll know all the important information around fall when the Challenger is released because GM wants to let the public know that they have a superior product. If at that time you want to whine and bitch and complain, feel free.

I'm very disappointed with the number of people who sign up here, have less than 10 posts, and are spouting off insults and crying without adding any intelligent comments to balance their posts. Just making hate threads and calling Lutz a douche won't solve anything. At least be civil while discussing this topic. There's no reason to use profanity, it just shows a lack of vocabulary or lack of control. If you're that immature, go buy a mustang or challenger. Have your instant gratification and we'll wait for the better product.

If you really dislike the Camaro and feel the need to bash it, please go join a forum of a car you like. We don't need the drama and this thread is the reason why. People with 3 and 7 posts show up, "@#*$ GM, they suck, they can't make a product right. kthxbai2u" is not what this forum was created for.

If you want to have an intelligent person from GM respond and maybe take your concern to heart, please don't sound like a fanboy youtube commenter.

Thanks for your time and let's keep it civil guys.

As for me, I've set one of my life's goals to be owning a car with power, as well as having a '69 camaro RS/SS as my uncle had one. I have never seen it, but I've always wanted a muscle car for the V8 rumble and I want to be able to own a car that others can envy and that I can drag or pull on people almost at will.

The 5th Gen Camaro kills both these birds with one stone. This is one of my dream cars. If the "premium price" means I'm going to have to shell out 40k or more for the car of my dreams, I will just walk away. I will not buy a v6 because that's not what my life's goal is to own. I want the top, most powerful v8 I can get, but I'm not going to screw up my life trying to pay off a car loan that will cost me more than a down payment for a house. My dreams will be shattered but I won't be freaking out. I will keep the faith until official information is released, and I hope with all my heart that GM will make me proud and my dream a reality.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #174
LDiablo
Z27 Enthusiast

Drives: 2007 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
Quote:
I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that this blog is made up of one thing and one thing only. Camaro fans. We all come in different shapes, sizes and incomes. Especially income. How many of us can actually afford the gas right now? How many of us can afford to buy a car or another car for that matter?
Another reason I went ahead and bought an '07 Silverado so that I could get used to crappy mileage so that when I buy the SS, I'm used to it. Course at $3+ a gallon, I'm having some buyer's remorse.

Quote:
ROFL. That was great! Honestly guys, it could be worse, the new Camaro could have been a Daewoo or something. It's honestly not that bad, just a new interpretation of "American Muscle".
Forgot to respond to this earlier (too busy trying to be 'funny') -- 5th generation is all about contradiction. This 4 cylinder thing shouldn't shake us too bad. I mean look at what DerScotsman says. In essence, isn't this Camaro going to be built in Australia? What kind of American muscle is built down under? LOL
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #175
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkee drummer View Post
WTF seriously? What does it mean then???? Premium gas= more expensive than regular. Premium cigars= more expensive than regular cigars. Come on, premium always means more expensive! I'm telling them i WILL NOT spend over 32k for a fully loaded v8. Not counting the SS or the vert, as I understand they may reach 35k. If thats not where they are then I will look elsewhere, as I see many others will too.
Yea it does mean more expensive.
But what did you expect? The mustang to have 300hp at $28,000 and the camaro have 500hp for the same price?
Come on now. They are making a better car than the mustang. There will be good reason the camaro will cost more. The cost difference will be within $1K imo.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #176
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
It'll be built in Canada, but was largely designed/initially tested down under, but the same premise stands.

We're in modern times and while tradition is great, it won't sell cars. GM has to adapt to our current times and circumstances, which they're doing admirably while still offering a V8 with likely 400hp, and honestly who can ask for more?

EDIT: I'm really worried about what Scott is going to think when he encounters this thread. Please Scott, I promise, we're not all panicky, emotional, faith-lacking haters...
Old 03-19-2008, 09:58 PM   #177
LDiablo
Z27 Enthusiast

Quote:
Where did you get this LDiablo??
I wrote it. Was parodying the line of thought that some were starting to go down about the 4-banger pandering to the ricer crowd. So I wrote something that would just take that to the extreme. I noted it was a parody but perhaps wasn't clear enough. Sorry if it wasn't. Just meant to introduce some humor in a thread that has people really torque'd and not in a good way.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #178
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Times are changing. If you expected to never see a 4banger Camaro again, you were fooling yourself, frankly.

I stress to you: Do not underestimate this car simply because it will include a 4 cyllinder engine in it's lineup.

The V6, and the V8 will MORE than meet the needs of everyone here. And they will be prices close the the stang's version of such models. so a 300hp V6 for ~22-23k. Are you really gonna complain about that? Really? Why worry about a 4 cyllinder edition that you wouldn't buy anyways?

The inclusion of an I4 does NOT diminish the car's muscle/pony/sports car status. If anything, it enhances it. No, hear me out: What other sports car (of the three) could appeal to those who want a 4? None. This is a step up on the competition as much as it is a step down in some of your minds. It will assist the Camaro's sales, so that you and I can have our V8's.

There is much more to be gained by this revelation that not.

Please, don't worry. This is one of those times where you are really tested in your ability to keep the faith. From all the way up to Rick Wagoner, people in GM are as excited as us about this car. They WILL NOT fail us.
Exactly! Anything that will help the Camaro stick around is good,
I know 90% of the people here are going to buy a V8, but 260 horsepower from a 4? that's pretty impressive, and 10 more horsepower than what the base challenger will get,
You could be in a 4 Camaro and still have no problem beating the base Challengers
haha, unless it has about 500 ft. lbs. of torque to move that 2 tons
Old 03-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #179
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2009 Silverado and 2007 Cobalt SS
I agree with you Mindz.

I will admit that I will only buy a Camaro with a V8, cause that is what I have dreamed about since I was a teenager. But do you guys realize that that four banger only has 25 less horse power than the LT1 in the '93 Z28? And I remember that Camaro took a lot of Mustang owners by suprise.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #180
SoFlaZ

Drives: Nothing special :-(
1. Stop Crying everyone

2. The V8 Camaro will STILL be available (hopefully under 30K)

3. This will help GM with all this CAFE BS. Though I would think in the Camaro a V6 might get better MPG

4. KEEP THE FAITH--Fbodfather
Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #181
flaguy

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Spring Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
Exactly! Anything that will help the Camaro stick around is good,
I know 90% of the people here are going to buy a V8, but 260 horsepower from a 4? that's pretty impressive, and 10 more horsepower than what the base challenger will get,
You could be in a 4 Camaro and still have no problem beating the base Challengers
haha, unless it has about 500 ft. lbs. of torque to move that 2 tons
Alot of you are utterly mistaken about the 4 banger. First off, it will still be on a Zeta chassis, IRS, and all the other stuff that makes this car so heavy. The only difference in weight will be the engine, which really is not going to be a whole lot lighter.

Furthermore, that 260hp is at the crank. That will drop down to about 220 or less considering it's going through a RWD drivetrain. 3500lbs with 220whp/225wtq is going to be very un-impressive. As a comparison, the SRT-4 (Neon not Caliber) puts down 230whp/250wtq yet weighs 2900lbs. The new cobalt should be similar to the SRT-4.

The Camaro turbo 4 will not take out much on the road. I'm sorry, but physics are a motherf@*ker and they don't lie.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #182
LDiablo
Z27 Enthusiast

O, Canada. Like you say, about the same difference.

Global marketing is blending all the old lines these days. Even in the defense industry, Boeing and Northrop Grumman are arguing the same kind of issue over how "American" their airplane offerings are.

Lest we forget that Toyota trucks are made in Tag's backyard of San Antonio, TEXAS.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #183
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerScotsman View Post
As odd as this concept of a 4 cylinder Camaro may be to swallow for some, I think we'll all just have to get over it and accept that this is part of the compromise we as buyers of high-performance enthusiast cars will have to make, and I guarantee you that through all the bitching and moaning we will. This IS the future.
This was only the third post in this thread. Please read it again.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #184
Cubanaso
Follower of CHRIST!

Drives: 2005 Mazda RX8
Besides the rest of the stuff, the higher price stuff is about the worse news I could have heard from GM.

I wont freak till the official numbers come out, but this is disappointing news for me.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #185
flaguy

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Spring Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanaso View Post
Besides the rest of the stuff, the higher price stuff is about the worse news I could have heard from GM.

I wont freak till the official numbers come out, but this is disappointing news for me.
That's pretty much how I feel. Really, I could care less about the 4 banger or the V6. If I can't get the V8 I simply won't get the Camaro. Well, that's a lie because I will try to find a used one after the depreciation.

But yeah, price and engine choice are the make or break for me.

L76 and I won't buy

>$30k and I won't buy

LS3 for 27k would be sweet
Old 03-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #186
B O N E Z

Drives: 01 maro
Yes, i got the name wrong but its still a 4 cylinder. Dont slap me or anything...
Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #187
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaguy View Post
LS3 for 27k would be sweet
You'll definitely be waiting for that one, if it ever happens.

Closed Thread