Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
firedrop

Drives: 2012 2ss/l99 a6, victory red
why get a z28 over a vette?

don't get me wrong, i absolutely love the z/28.. but why get one over a corvette if the track is your goal?

CAI, custom catback with flowmaster series 10s
firedrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrop View Post
don't get me wrong, i absolutely love the z/28.. but why get one over a corvette if the track is your goal?
I guess you'd need to specify which Corvette. My initial answer would be: Because it will be much...much faster around a road course than a standard Corvette, Corvette Z51, Corvette GS, and even the new Stingray...moreover...versus, say a C6 Z06/Z07...it'll be more confidence-inspiring.

Don't forget one of the Z/28's "hidden" abilities is utter durability and relentlessness around a track...you can lap over, and over, and over and not wear the car down nearly as quickly as others - because that's what it was built to do.

.....And it's a Z/28!
Old 11-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Its an emotional decision only an Icon can invoke. In my opinion I would own this rather than any other car, its just the perfect car in my eyes. If I had a blacked out z07 or GT3 next to it it wouldnt loose any value in my eyes. Not saying the other two are bad, oh no. I dont care if its not faster, its about how it makes you feel while going very fast.

Man I hope day I get to experience it on the track.

Last edited by Mgizzle; 11-11-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: SS 45th, Boss 302, Z51 Stingray
I'd swap in both my SS and Boss just to get the Z/28 living next to my C7.... well maybe the SS at least. Anyway, point is these are 2 totally different type of cars... if you will honestly use it for its intended purpose (the track/road course/ HPDE's etc.) then the Z/28 is the ticket to get; as stated it will aid you in embodying Sebastian Vettel-like consistency & results, lap after lap! I can't wait to see it in person as well... and hopefully drive or ride in it at least. This beast will be topnotch brutal, in a good way!

Red/Blk, 2LT Red, 7spd/Z51/MSRC/NPP/Nav/FAY/Blk rims/Red brks/Z51 caps/Splash grds
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
yellow69z28rs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
Have you seen the two sitting side by side?

I have, and the z don't loose ANYTHING to the vette.

Don't know how else to put it...
69 X66 L78 OLYMPIC GOLD RAG TOP ALL OEM
69 X55 TUXEDO BLACK RAG TOP ALL OEM
RAG TOP ROB
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedrop View Post
...I've been a dyed in the wool Z-28 guy since I was 16. My whole life. The Z/28 reincarnation is a dedicated road course track car. Much more so than anything that ever came before it, and then some. The Corvette still has creature comforts and features that are primary within all all models not removed in order to shed weight for race performance like the Z/28 has done.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Bhobbs

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Preference.

If I had my pick, it would be a modern Chevelle to go with my 70 but they don't make that. My dad is a Camaro guy and has owned multiple including the 98 Z28 I'm driving while we restore my Chevelle. I guess that's where I get my love for Camaros. Don't get me wrong, I would love a C6 Z06 but it isn't the same as how much I want a 1LE or Z/28.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #8

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...If I had to (or were able...lol...) to choose, I would go Z/28....Corvettes, even the new C7s, will be plentiful for the foreseeable future and very nice used ones can be had for a reasonable price...as will probably be the case not too long from now with the C7s...

....I don't see that being the case with the Z/28....Corvettes have always been Chevy's flagship performance car, and that probably won't change...The Z/28 will only have a small window of availability....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
shaffe

Drives: 2012 Focus
why would anyone choose a Z/28 over a Corvette? well realistically the majority of the buyers who will be buying this car will get the Z/28 simply bc they can. They will be well off enough that they can have this car added to their collection, it will be a third or fourth car to them or even rarer, they might actually race it! haha

Now, if it was me spending my moneys and I was well off enough to have one of these vehicles as a second car or a toy, I'm taking the Z06 every day of the week and twice on sunday. Don't get me wrong the Z/28 is one hell of a machine, but not my style. Much rather have a Corvette
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
this was built perfect for me...now I can haul 3 kids or 4 wheels to the track.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
The C7 Stingray turned a lap at Laguna Seca of 1:38....will the Z28 do better? I dunno,but if it does it certainly won't be "much faster" as some seem to think.

The real reason though,in my eyes, to favor the Z28 is the fact that in six months the C7 "newness" will have worn off. Especially when the next "Z" version of the C7 is debuted at the Detroit Auto Show in January.

But the Z28 will be a car that will be at the head of its class for this generation and its collectibility will be through the roof.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
The Z28 will be a rare beast. It doesn't make sense to most people and that's why it's the one to get. Cars like that never sell in large numbers and will always be desirable. The C7 while being an awesome car will be everywhere. Especially since it's such an overall improvement.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
The C7 Stingray turned a lap at Laguna Seca of 1:38....will the Z28 do better? I dunno,but if it does it certainly won't be "much faster" as some seem to think.

The real reason though,in my eyes, to favor the Z28 is the fact that in six months the C7 "newness" will have worn off. Especially when the next "Z" version of the C7 is debuted at the Detroit Auto Show in January.

But the Z28 will be a car that will be at the head of its class for this generation and its collectibility will be through the roof.

the collectibility is a def win for the Z/28.

I bought a new VW R32 back in 2004 for 27k. Low mileage versions 10 years later still fetch 18-20k. They made 5000 for 1 year only.

Being that the Z/28 has a real long history and will have at least 1000 less produced - id say it is safe to say you could buy this car and not lose much if ever decided to sell.

But from a strictly performance standpoint - ZR1s are going for mid 60s now (rare but out there). While used, that is the imo the best bargin if you are thinking of spending this much money for a track toy.
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
Stingray
just can't get enough

Drives: SS 45th, Boss 302, Z51 Stingray
Collectibility and rarity of the Z/28 will likely trump over any current Camaro, Mustang, Mopar, and C7... even the Viper perhaps. That's a given if it will be pricey and extremely limited in numbers. Heck my '12 Boss 302 still holds its value quite well... depreciates roughly 10-15% for a somewhat limited release edition (limited in the sense that they still produced approx 4000 overall per year for two years). The new Z/28 will be a track beast as we're all well aware but like others said, it's not the only option since C6 Z06's and ZR1's are being deeply discounted. Also, if you plan on competing in sanctioned road course events then examine if the Z/28 will qualify.

Red/Blk, 2LT Red, 7spd/Z51/MSRC/NPP/Nav/FAY/Blk rims/Red brks/Z51 caps/Splash grds
Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Because the Z/28 will be a better track car than any new Corvette you can order at a dealer.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #16

Drives: Getaway Special
With the Corvette you can go lap after lap after lap through the drive through however……..
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...DG is correct, the Z/28 will be a better track performer.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
Stock Boy

Drives: 2014 1LE
A "better" track performer? I don't know about better. I'll say different. The C7 is extremely quick at every venue it's being tested at. Will the Z28 run Quicker lap times? Possibly because of the extra hp, wide rubber and great brakes. However that extra weight and size is going to offer a much different experience than a low slung Vette. I love the looks of both and to be honest I think a good driver would be limited by their personal limits at the track with these two as opposed to the car's.
Stock Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
A "better" track performer? I don't know about better. I'll say different. The C7 is extremely quick at every venue it's being tested at. Will the Z28 run Quicker lap times? Possibly because of the extra hp, wide rubber and great brakes. However that extra weight and size is going to offer a much different experience than a low slung Vette. I love the looks of both and to be honest I think a good driver would be limited by their personal limits at the track with these two as opposed to the car's.
Nearly 1.1 G Z/28 versus the 1.0G Stingray. Nobody's saying the Stingray is bad at the track; but you're going to feel that difference in grip in a big way. Stingray is a very track-oriented street car, much like the 1LE or ZL1...but the Z/28 is a track car made legal for public roadways....
Old 11-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
Stock Boy

I hear what you're saying, Mr Wyndham, but I feel there is more to a track car than just grip. I just think that when comparing these two cars, specifically these two, one might not be "better". I know this is a Camaro forum and we're all very pro 'Maro but the Stingray, especially with the Z package is just doing so well when journalists are flogging it at the track. To be honest, I like the way the Z/28 looks, better. Something about all the go fast bits just bolted on. Very aggressive and purposeful. I just feel it would be a totally different driving experience pushing that car at a track than a Vette. Not worse. The way the car responded to the driver, the feeling of transitioning from side to side, accelerating and braking. Hell, I'm talking out my ass because I've driven neither but I'm going on past experiences here between a lot of different types of cars. Some which have been supposedly very fast but were just nerve wracking in the handling dept to get close to it's limits. Other supposedly slower cars were easier and quicker because their performance was more accessible. I feel the limits of both these cars are so high, it's going to come down to the driver's ability. I love both these cars. They are so different in how they look.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #21
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
hopefully i don't take too much heat for this , but if you want an all out track car the 5th gen camaro platform is not the best one to start with granted they have done things to make it work very well with the zl1 and even more so with the z28, but its still big, and heavy, in the end if you want the best track car per dollar spent this is not it.
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
Stock Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
hopefully i don't take too much heat for this , but if you want an all out track car the 5th gen camaro platform is not the best one to start with granted they have done things to make it work very well with the zl1 and even more so with the z28, but its still big, and heavy, in the end if you want the best track car per dollar spent this is not it.
I totally agree with you.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Me personally, I'd get a Vette over a Z/28. I wouldn't track the Z/28 to get enough use out of its purpose. Sure I'd take it out there a couple of times but the car isn't practical to me atleast not the production model. For $60k+, lightweight or not I want the mylink, speakers, etc. Let me be the one to take out everything.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #24
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Boy View Post
I totally agree with you.
No heat, however you might want to consider closely what Pete at Pedders and Lingenfelter have done with the L/28. I hear they did quite well against both more powerful and lighter cars. A very rigid and capable chassis is more important than a few hundred pounds.

On the other hand the C7 is like having your cake...
...looking forward to the wide-body.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #25
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner

Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Personally, I'd get a NISMO GTR that's coming up soon.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11311186...-708-ring-time

Which boasts a 7:08.69 'ring time... which is of course, a far cry above (read better) the 7:37.47 Z time.