Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #154
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals
 
Mvp_Me's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 VR M6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 766
I have no words for this thread so ill just leave it at this.......
__________________
Mvp_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #155
SimpleGreen

 
Drives: 2013 1SS/1LE IOM
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southeast Louisiana
Posts: 1,960
Awesome garages! I would show mine but I'm sure everyone knows what a carport with a roll box, a floor jack, ramps and two stands looks like, lol.
__________________
'13 1SS/1LE-Inferno Orange-Borla SType-Katzins-RotoFab-Elite Engineering-Michelin AS3-IOM Interior Pack
SimpleGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #156
Scrappy Doo


 
Scrappy Doo's Avatar
 
Drives: Taylor Made R15
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: W8n 4 Snow, Minnesota
Posts: 4,678
A light gray with white and black flecks in it is the current plan right now.

But, i haven't set that in stone. I have considered doing a black floor, but it would be a nightmare to keep clean

(Forgot to quote the previous message! OOps)
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:00 PM   #157
Jack Olsen
 
Drives: 1972 Porsche 911
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8
If you can look past the absence of a Camaro, I can show you one other path a suburban garage can take. I was limited to the existing size of my 20x21 two-car, and my budget was under $3,500 for the project. But I put together a place that makes the most of the available space (for carpentry, metal fab and work on my weekend car) with an assortment of second-hand industrial cabinets that I turned into storage and ten different work surfaces. I did all the work myself, including setting the tile and digging the pit for the lift. Everything in the place is second-hand, re-purposed or home-made.













Work benches that fold down from the wall:







You can see the lift in operation in this video:




http://www.petrolicious.com/articles...ck-olsen-s-911

Is it always this clean? No. Not by a long shot.





But it does go back to clean very quickly -- that's the real accomplishment of it, I think. I finally took the time to work out a place for everything to go when It's not being used.

In practice, it makes a huge difference not having to spend so much time looking for things you've misplaced. I spent years doing that.



More pictures and a bench-by-bench look at the place at the website I made for it: http://www.12-gaugegarage.com
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #158
ROD_SS

 
ROD_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Antonio,TX
Posts: 1,077
^ Jack Olsen... Wow!
__________________
ADM tuned (465 rwhp / 442 torque) Mods- CAI, kooks long tube headers, & ADM stage 2 cam
ROD_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #159
Bud 1LE 2SS RS

 
Bud 1LE 2SS RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1LE 2SS RS GREEN FLASH
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Litchfield Ct.
Posts: 1,221
Like the out of the floor lift set-up! (and the Porsche coupe!) WHAT YEAR?

AWSOME SET UP YOU HAVE!!
__________________
SCJ NPP LS3 RGU B7J 5W8 KYU KTU WRS GM3 UV6 SLN
Bud 1LE 2SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #160
Jack Olsen
 
Drives: 1972 Porsche 911
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8
Thanks, guys.

The car is a 1972 tub with a 1995 engine, a 1977 transaxle and other 911 parts on it that range in age from 1965 to 2000.

(The odd thing is that I built it after passing on a pretty nice example of my first choice, a 1st-gen Camaro.)

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 01-06-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #161
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?
 
G-Oil Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mars, PA
Posts: 6,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
If you can look past the absence of a Camaro, I can show you one other path a suburban garage can take. I was limited to the existing size of my 20x21 two-car, and my budget was under $3,500 for the project. But I put together a place that makes the most of the available space (for carpentry, metal fab and work on my weekend car) with an assortment of second-hand industrial cabinets that I turned into storage and ten different work surfaces. I did all the work myself, including setting the tile and digging the pit for the lift. Everything in the place is second-hand, re-purposed or home-made.













Work benches that fold down from the wall:







You can see the lift in operation in this video:




http://www.petrolicious.com/articles...ck-olsen-s-911

Is it always this clean? No. Not by a long shot.





But it does go back to clean very quickly -- that's the real accomplishment of it, I think. I finally took the time to work out a place for everything to go when It's not being used.

In practice, it makes a huge difference not having to spend so much time looking for things you've misplaced. I spent years doing that.



More pictures and a bench-by-bench look at the place at the website I made for it: http://www.12-gaugegarage.com
Can you still get pit lifts?!

That be perfect for my current garage.

Also: how does the tile floor hold up? I've been going back and forth between epoxy and tile.
__________________
FOR SALE: 2013 ZL1 Message me if interested
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #162
Pro Stock John
Writer
 
Pro Stock John's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiefamily View Post
Garage! and Garage with friends! Still a work in progress! 42X60 with a 14 foot ceiling.
I've had interested in drive-on lifts like that for storage, What do you think the minimum ceiling height that would work?

My problem is (a) I have to find out of my slab can handle the weight and (b) I think I'd have to probably tear my 4 year old garage down to install some lifts.

A bunch of pics. I have fit 3 cars in it before but it was tight, last time I measured the slabs they were all 8 feet.

Right when I moved in spring 2008:






__________________
PROJECT HEAVY CHEVY
Camaro Now: Mods for the Masses Part I | Part II
13.15@106 1.95 | 100% Stock
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #163
SomeGeoffGuy
 
SomeGeoffGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS/RS M6 Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I've had interested in drive-on lifts like that for storage, What do you think the minimum ceiling height that would work?

My problem is (a) I have to find out of my slab can handle the weight and (b) I think I'd have to probably tear my 4 year old garage down to install some lifts.
PSJ - Geoff Bouma - we met out at Pinks. Glad to see you in a 5th gen!

Most two post lifts require 6" of concrete. It generally manufacturer specific. The standard stuff the concrete guy pour is the correct PSI though. I just finished up a new garage and had them pour the entire floor at 6" just to be safe. You can just get some pads poured, though. They will saw cut and reinforce a local area then repour it.

-Geoff
__________________
'12 2SS RS Convertible - No mods yet.
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #164
Camaroshark

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD_SS View Post
^ Jack Olsen... Wow!
I second that. That is a sweet garage set up.
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, LS3 - 6 speed. Mods, Magnaflow exhaust with resonator delete. ******** 12" stealth box subwoofer kit, Kicker 400 mono amp, JL XD 400/4 amp.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #165
Z/28Dan

 
Z/28Dan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #484
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,422
The ZL1 is asleep for a couple of months. 7 degrees here in Virginia tomorrow. A little cold for the F1 tires!
Attached Images
 
__________________
There are only so many days in your lifetime. So get out and drive your Camaro...

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #166
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?
 
G-Oil Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mars, PA
Posts: 6,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dan View Post
The ZL1 is asleep for a couple of months. 7 degrees here in Virginia tomorrow. A little cold for the F1 tires!
What material is that floor?
__________________
FOR SALE: 2013 ZL1 Message me if interested
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #167
Nick S

 
Nick S's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Verona, WI
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I've had interested in drive-on lifts like that for storage, What do you think the minimum ceiling height that would work?

My problem is (a) I have to find out of my slab can handle the weight and (b) I think I'd have to probably tear my 4 year old garage down to install some lifts.

A bunch of pics. I have fit 3 cars in it before but it was tight, last time I measured the slabs they were all 8 feet.

Right when I moved in spring 2008:






Hey John,
Not sure if you remember me from the Madison WI area or not but I used to see you quite a bit at MFBA events ( MFBA screen name Nick 2K2 SS).

Anyhow, my challenger lift only required 4" thick concrete but the PSI rating of the concrete needed to meet a minimum requirement. Also my garage has the fiberglass filled concrete which helps the PSI rating as well. But when I was researching lifts I found quite a few that only required 4" thick. And if you are looking more at a 4post drive on lift I believe you would be good with your garage at 4" thick because the load is being distributed over 4 pads instead of just two and you the floor would only be seeing vertical forces and no bending moments like you would with 2 pads.

Looks like I see the LS1 Tech 4th gen Camaro in the background. Didn't know if you still had that or if you have raced it recently.

Nick.
__________________
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #168
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?
 
G-Oil Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mars, PA
Posts: 6,094
MOAR PICTARS!
__________________
FOR SALE: 2013 ZL1 Message me if interested
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:06 PM   #169
Jack Olsen
 
Drives: 1972 Porsche 911
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
Also: how does the tile floor hold up? I've been going back and forth between epoxy and tile.
I have ceramic tile. I paid .59/sf for it and installed it myself. I've had it for over five years, now. My verdict: it's one of the best things I've done in the garage. I've dragged 800# cabinets over it and rolled a 500# engine assembly on it perched on a floor jack. I use jackstands on it. I put the same tiles on top of the lift and they raise the car without any blocks or pads. The key is the way you install the tiles. You can't do it like you'd do for a kitchen or bathroom install.

Here's a video I post to show how strong ordinary tile is when it does not have voids underneath it. This is PEI 4 rated ceramic being hit with a 4-lb sledge hammer. If you click on the image to see the video, you'll notice the camera bounsing around from the impacts.



This was the first tile I ever set. At the time, I wasn't aware of $1/sf porcelain tiles, which would be even stronger. The nice thing about porcelain/ceramic tiles is that there is no such thing as hot tire lift, staining, or the epoxy dealer explaining that the reason you got bubbles (or it peeled up or whatever) was the fault of your slab. And if you do damage a tile? You just put a new one in. (I've never had to do that.)
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #170
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?
 
G-Oil Guy's Avatar
 
Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mars, PA
Posts: 6,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
I have ceramic tile. I paid .59/sf for it and installed it myself. I've had it for over five years, now. My verdict: it's one of the best things I've done in the garage. I've dragged 800# cabinets over it and rolled a 500# engine assembly on it perched on a floor jack. I use jackstands on it. I put the same tiles on top of the lift and they raise the car without any blocks or pads. The key is the way you install the tiles. You can't do it like you'd do for a kitchen or bathroom install.

Here's a video I post to show how strong ordinary tile is when it does not have voids underneath it. This is PEI 4 rated ceramic being hit with a 4-lb sledge hammer. If you click on the image to see the video, you'll notice the camera bounsing around from the impacts.



This was the first tile I ever set. At the time, I wasn't aware of $1/sf porcelain tiles, which would be even stronger. The nice thing about porcelain/ceramic tiles is that there is no such thing as hot tire lift, staining, or the epoxy dealer explaining that the reason you got bubbles (or it peeled up or whatever) was the fault of your slab. And if you do damage a tile? You just put a new one in. (I've never had to do that.)
So how do you install it?
__________________
FOR SALE: 2013 ZL1 Message me if interested
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
garage, garage porn, pfadt

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.