Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Old 11-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Winter projects?

Nothing on my ZL1. I was going to paint the wheels, but I am deferring that.
I am still driving and enjoying it! Maybe it won't snow...... nahhhh..

Anyway, this is my winter project and next winter and probably the one after that!

http://imageevent.com/happy_dan/dantoys/73lt
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
Northeast Rod Run

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Holy crap!

Does that thing have even one solid panel on it? Looks like you have yourself quite a project there. That will probably take you closer to 4 "winters" instead of two..... and that's on the very conservative end.

Just be prepared to spend tons of money and don't get discouraged when things look to be at their worst. All major builds like that have their share of good times and bad. Way to many half-finished projects out there, that started off as something like yours and then the person realized they were in over their head and had to sell them for pennies on the dollar

The most important thing is to keep your head up and have fun!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Northeast Rod Run

This is my latest project. I will be tearing it down to the frame as soon as my new garage addition is finished (hopefully by the end of next month).

If I decide to keep the body and drivetrain as is, except maybe putting overdrive in it, I will have it running for next year's NERR trip. It will just have a rat-type looking exterior with an updated and fully restored undercarriage and interior.

If I get carried away with the project (which I usually do), it will take me until 2015 to get it finished.

I was supposed to tear down my Camaro this winter, but this project came up instead.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #4
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Thanks, if I wasn't already intimidated, I for sure am now. LOL.

I am WAAAYYY over my head on this project, but I am willing to learn and I have no deadlines. I am just taking each small project and working on it until I am done. If it weren't the actual car that I cruised around in when in high school, I would not have bought it.

I was looking for a truck like the one you are doing or even older.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Here is my other project, hoping to have an LS1/ 4L60 tranny iin it for next spring. Want to keep it stock looking outside.
Attached Images

Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Northeast Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Thanks, if I wasn't already intimidated, I for sure am now. LOL.
You don't need to be, but if you go in thinking it will only be a year or so to build it, unless you have bottomless pockets, you will get overwhelmed very quickly

Quote:
I am WAAAYYY over my head on this project, but I am willing to learn and I have no deadlines. I am just taking each small project and working on it until I am done. If it weren't the actual car that I cruised around in when in high school, I would not have bought it.
That is beyond awesome

Quote:
I was looking for a truck like the one you are doing or even older.
HA... I wasn't looking for the truck but I drove by it everyday for two weeks straight and then they put a for sale sign on it, so then I had to have it. I couldn't really even afford it at the time, but I have a hard time passing up a great deal

That's one big reason why I was supposed to tear my Camaro apart this winter. I was at Carlisle GM Nationals in 2012 and Hotchkis was there and they were having a HUGE sale, so I bought one of their TVS kits for my 69 Camaro. That was another time that my money was real tight and I had no immediate plans to tear into the car either, but the price that weekend saved me almost $1500.00 off of Summit Racing's normal price so I couldn't turn it down. The free shipping and 2 free t-shirts sealed the deal on that one for me. LOL!!!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Sorry, I was not clear. I expect this to be three or more years to complete.

The t-shirts would do it for me.

No, I don't have deep pockets, that is the reason for so long.

Also, the reason I will learn to weld and do some of the labor parts of body work and the smaller parts that aren't as critical.

It is destined to be a nice driver, that's all. It is nothing special. Just a plain old LT so I am not really worried about keeping it 100% original. Just want to make it look as much as possible like that car I remember so well.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Northeast Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post

Also, the reason I will learn to weld and do some of the labor parts of body work and the smaller parts that aren't as critical.

It is destined to be a nice driver, that's all. It is nothing special. Just a plain old LT so I am not really worried about keeping it 100% original. Just want to make it look as much as possible like that car I remember so well.
100% original is boring anyway.

Once you start to learn how to weld, you'll want to weld everything in sight won't want to use nuts & bolts on ANYTHING ever again
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
rickyrocket

Drives: 2015 blk 1 SS
At least its a poplar car w/plenty of suppliers for parts,just be carful where you buy fron lots of overseas crap out there that has more waves than the ocean
Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Northeast Rod Run

Since the 1st gens are generally out of reach for most people, the 2nd gen market has just recently started to expand to having almost all the parts you could possibly need.

As long as he sticks with reputable suppliers, he can't go wrong. With something like this, more than ever "you get what you pay for".

If you are getting price quotes way under what most vendors sell the same parts for...... there is a reason!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Nice truck. Jill and I did a 72 /69 pickup a few years back. I drove it for like five years then gave the truck to Jill. Need to touch up the bed now.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  233.5 KB
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  195.8 KB

Here is a pic of the motor bay
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
So your saying Jill likes to take it off-roading and hit branches to chip-up your paint job until it's so bad she gets you to paint it a color she wants?

Smart lady no wonder you married her.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #14
Northeast Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
Nice truck. Jill and I did a 72 /69 pickup a few years back. I drove it for like five years then gave the truck to Jill. Need to touch up the bed now.
Not to highjack the thread to much here, but you should bring the truck on NERR next year. It would be nice to have some different vehicles join us and it's always good to have more older iron on the run